Sign in to follow this  
Koozebanian Fazoob

Kenshiro make your head asplode

I use a lot of Ken these days, and the threads here and on GC are gone, so I figured I'll at least keep a running thread on all of his known stuff. I don't know most of his really tricky combos myself, so I'm going to need help here.

Command Normals

Ganzenryozanha: 6A

It's a karate chop overhead. Very loud, but probably usable in mixups. You can combo off of it with some boost trickery.

Hokuto no Backhand: 6B

A backhand attack, it has 1-hit super armor on upper body and will blowback on CH.

Unblockable Strike: AB

Nothing special here AFAIK. It's unblockable and does -1 stars.

Blowback Strike: CD

Nothing special again. Short range distance so it's not great, but easy to combo into and sets up into big damage. -1 stars and wallbounce ahoy.

Launcher: AC

Interesting launcher. Ken strikes very high (about 45 degree angle with his body), which means this launcher can easily miss people who are ducking (even in combos). However, since it still works against targets in the air, it can still be used to setup some combos.

The launcher also has a weird launch effect. The enemy goes up and comes back down, and has a very long untechable time. It is possible to launch the other person and continue with a ground combo in the right situations.

Command Throw: BD

Standard command throw, -1 star and only hits standing people. This command throw is very long so it is good to punish certain moves with (like Juda's dam break super). Gives Ken a stupid chunk of meter for connecting. Also, you can combo off this command throw naturally, giving it some neat possibilities.

Specials

Hokuto Ryugekiko: 214A

High parry, may be possible to reflect some projectiles as well. Only can remove a star on CH (easy to do or not?). Can be used like a blowback if you boost it on CH.

Touki: 236A

A very small projectile that only travels a short distance. It's more useful than it sounds. Good for catching people randomly. Does not normally remove stars.

Hikou Seieikou: 236C

Short range punch attack. When it connects, the enemy will take block damage even from normals. A staple in combos for Ken, as it will let his rushdown be effective even if the other person blocks it. Also removes -1 star on hit.

Hokuto Hieiken: 623B (air+)

Anti air fly kick, flys at roughly a 45 degree angle. While the move isn't invincible, Ken can air dash during the recovery, making the move much safer. On counterhit, this move wall slams. Using it as AA, if Ken can score a CH against an airborne enemy, he can setup for very high damage wallbounce combos.

Tenha no Kamae: 214C

Powerup move. The next attack Ken throws will knock off -1 star if it connects, but Ken loses the charge even if the attack misses or is blocked.

Remember that this star bonus STACKS, so you can use it with an unblockable or heavy strike or super to knock off -2 stars. Guard Cancel will also still remove a star.

Hokuto Ujou Moushouha: 623A/C (air+)

Uppercut. Ground A version is not invincible but is very safe and knocks off -1 stars. Possible combo material in the event you need an extra -1 star or cannot finish with a super.

Ground C version has small invincibility (this isn't Vulcanic Viper guys) but travels far into the air. Still boostable to make it more safe.

Air version properties are unknown, but even the A version moves Ken upwards.

Hokuto Jaraikou: 236D

Dashing punch. Fast, reletively safe. Jump Cancelable on hit. A staple in combos, but also can help Ken get 'in' on an opponent.

Hokuto Shichishiki Heizan: 214A (air)

Diving punch attack. Very, very unsafe without boost. It's an overhead and you can TK it, so it can be useful as a mixup. Can be used to end a few combos, but not really an ideal move to use.

Supers

Hokuto Zankaiken: 214214C (?)

Ken jumps into the air and strikes pressure points on the enemy's head. If he actually manages to connect, the enemy loses -1 stars and gains a 3 second counter. If the counter hits 0, the enemy dies instantly.

First of all, this super uses 2 Aura stocks, making it expensive. Second, it's impossible to hit someone who isn't comatose (or at least Dizzied) with the super because it is so slow and obvious. Third, it doesn't even guarentee you win the match... the time says 3 seconds but is actually much, much slower (maybe 10+ seconds?). Forth, it doesn't work on Thouther, period.

Do not use this super. If you dizzy the other person, just do a big damage -3 star super combo. If you use it randomly during a match, people will laugh at you.

Tenha Kassatsu: 236236A

Beam super. Your mainstay combo ender and a decent source of star damage. You'll pretty much use this every chance you get. Uses up 1 Aura so it's cheap too.

Musou Tensei: 214214B

Same as Raoh's super. Gives Ken the ability to parry high attacks by hitting Forward as the attack strikes him. Teleports him behind the other person to possibly let him punish attacks. Note that teleporting isn't instant. Ken can teleport 7 times before this wears off.

Very good super to use, it just gives Ken additional options to deal with pressure. He doesn't need it as much as Raoh, but it still helps.

Instant Kill

Hokuto Hyakuretsuken: 236CD

Ken strikes again at a 45 degree angle above his head (looks a lot like his launcher). Of course if this connects, the enemy is hit with a 100 hit combo that kills them.

The angle of this IK makes it a little difficult to connect with. It doesn't seem to like OTGing very well, so you need to be a bit more tricky getting into it.

Combos

In particular I need more of these. I don't have easy access to the game so please help me out in this section.

[Mid/Anywhere]

IAD j.A C |> etc.

Start most any of the other combos here with this, for your high/low mixup.

2B 2B 2D 623B

Standard mid screen combo when you have no boost or aura.

2B 2B 2D 236236A, 236236A

Combo for if you only have Aura, second one will give you extra damage but won't remove another star of course.

2B 2B 236CE 6CDE 6, 2C D 236D > IAD j.C |> 66 D 236D > IAD j.B/C |> B D 236236A

Standard combo if you have 1 Boost stock. High damage, -3 stars. If you don't have 1 Aura stock by the end, you can cancel the j.C into 214A to at least end with something. I tend to cut off the final B D at the end just to make buffering to the super easier.

2B 2B 236CE 6CDE 6, D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.A |> D 236D > IAD j.C |> 66 D 236D > IAD j.D? |> 236236A

Alternate version, more damage?

CD 6, D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.A |> D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.D |> 6CDE 6E D 236D > sjc.A B A B D |> 236236A, 236236A, 6E 2B

Uses 3 Boost stock and 2 Aura stock, it's 100% life on Rei and probably others.

CH 623B, 66 j.B |> D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236C, 66 D 236D > IAD j.C |> 66 D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.B |> 236236A

Combo off CH 623B, does a LOT of damage.

CD 6, 2C 236C 6E, D D 236D > IAD j.C |> etc.

If you start from the blowback, you can do this version instead.

BD, 236236A

Sounds silly, but you get -2 stars and 33% life from Kens regular command throw.

623C(3) ACE, D, |> 236D > etc.

Odd glitch with Ken's uppercut. Try boosting the third hit and you will do his ground launcher, and retain some ground properties until you hit the ground (allowing you to do a standing D in the air). Very strange.

[Mid, VS Heart or Standing Opponent Only]

2B 2B D 236D > IAD j.C |> D 236D > hjc.A B A B C |> 236D or 236236A

Similar combo. More damage/more reliable?

VS Jagi and Mamiya, you must delay the initial IAD j.C slightly.

VS Toki or Kenshiro, you may follow up the combo with a 623A for -1 extra star.

[Corner]

2B 2B 2D AC, D 236D > hjc.A B A B C |> 236D or 236236A

It's a corner specific juggle. May be possible to get extra hits ...

BD, B D 236236A

Same as mid, with two extra hits.

(Low in the air) j.214A, |> 2A D 236D > etc.

If you TK the 214A or otherwise connect with it very low to the ground, you can score a combo off it in the corner. Just go into your usual loop.

Throw, 2A D 236D > IAD j.C |> D 236D > sjc.A B A B D |> 236D/CD/236236A

[Combos into IK]

(Standing) 2B 2B D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236CD (0 Star)

(Close) 2B 2B 236CD (0 Star)

(Corner) Throw, 2A, 236CD (0 Star)

(High) 236236A, 236CD (-1+ Star)

2B 2B 236CE 6CDE 6, 236CD (-2 Star)

2B 2B 236CE 6CDE 6, 623A 6E, 236CD (-3 Star)

2B 2B D 236D > IAD j.C |> D.c CD 6E~D 623A 6E~D 236C 6E~D, 236CD (-3 Star)

Exe     A/D     Dmg     FaV     Etc
c5A       5       -3      9       4       --
c5B       8       +3      9       5       --        
c5C       9       0       10x2    6+7     -- 
c5D       7       -16     20      7       --
f5A       5       -3      7       4       --
f5B       7       +3      7       5       --
f5C       11      -4      18      7       --
f5D       7       -13     18      8       --
2A        5       -3      6       4       --
2B        7       +8      6       6       hit low
2C        11      -4      17      7       --
2D        9       -4      14      8       hit low
JA        3       --      6       5       overhead
JB        4       --      6       6       overhead
JC        10      --      15      7       overhead
JD        9       --      5x3     6x3     overhead
A+C       17      +3      20      8       --
C+D       18~33   -8      20      7       -1 star
Max C+D   34~38   -8      20      7       -1 star
GC        9       -1      10      7       doesn't KO
A+B       39      --      6       7       unblockable, -1 star, doesn't KO      
N. Throw  4       --      14x2    6x2     --
B+D       9       --      0+3x8   8x2+7x6+8  -1 star

Hokuto Zankai Ken rocks! Sure everybody gets a laugh when you miss or it gets knocked out of in a stupid way but hey when you land it. You basically look like a genius to all the onlookers when you land it. hehe I landed it a few times in serious matches. It's funny to see your opponent sweat and make stupid mistakes when they try to rush you down but they are already dead!!!!!!!! There is only one theoretical way that I have in mind to land it. My theory is that you must have a vanishing strike hit them while they are in the air from half screen away then do it and boost before they fall below the hit point. Ganzenryozanha: 6A It can mixup only people who fall asleep but once they catch on then don't use it again on them. It's a really slow overhead compared to say like rei's souther's or juda's. 2B 2B 2D AC, D 236D > IAD j.C (???) Kenoh air recovered out before the D can hit. but you can jump after them the AC and do A, C, hokuto heizan or his DP........takes one star. 2B 2B D 236D > IAD j.C J C can be air recovered before it hits. Musou Tensei Gives Ken the ability to parry high attacks by hitting Forward as the attack strikes him. Can he parry low attacks at all? I've yet to parry a low attack in all the times i attempted it.

6B is another command normal, a backhand fist that can absorb one upper body hit and will blowback on CH.

His BD command throw also gives absurd amounts of aura and boost. If you've dizzied the opponent, Tenha no Kamae -> BD is two stars, gives almost two bars of boost and one bar of aura, and will connect into 2A -> D -> Tenha Kassatsu in the corner, which is where you'll probably be if you've dizzied someone with Ken anyway.

214A (Ryugekiko) does not combo normally, but if you boost it after it hits, it's the same as if you got the opponent with a CD. If you use it properly it's almost as scary as Toki's counter.

Note that Ken's 623B has horrible invul frames compared to Shin's very similar move, Nanto Gokutou Ken. So don't get 'em confused.

Tenha no Kamae's star removing function works even with Ken's universal GC. It's a very, very easy and safe way to get one star off your opponent.

Jaraikou has hit absorption properties starting somewhere after startup and ending somewhere before it hits. Been on the receiving end of that one way too many times.

His air dive (air 214A) also combos if you hit with it in the corner, very low. Basically if you TK it or use it after a blocked IAD B -> A. Catch the opponent coming down with 2A -> far D into a normal combo.

2B 2B 2D 236236A works on everybody, and if you have another bar you can get them with another OTG 236236A for only one star total but absurd amounts of damage.

Ken's normal combo is: 2B -> 2B -> far D -> 236D -> IAD C -> D -> 236D -> high jump cancel (A-B-A-B-C) -> land 236C. If you have aura you can replace the 236C with 236236A, and then catch the opponent with 623A on their way down for 2 stars. This, and various variations of this, is the 'normal' combo I'm referring to throughout this post.

Vs Toki and another Kenshiro, the normal combo is 2B -> 2B -> far D -> 236D -> high jump cancel (A-B-A-B-D) land 236C or 236236A -> 623A. Vs Jagi and Mamiya, you must delay the first IAD C slightly.

After 2B -> 2B -> 2D -> AC in the corner, you can get them coming down with a far D -> 236D high jump cancel (A-B-A-B-C) -> land blah blah. You can also do this in midscreen with 2B -> 2B -> 2D -> ACE, catch them coming down with close D -> far D and end the combo normally. Against Jagi and Mamiya, you have to delay the AC slightly; vs Toki you have to delay the first 236D slightly.

Musou Tensei works for all high and low hits. 6 for high, 2 for low, just like SF3's parrying.

---

IK combos:

No stars + IK:

1. Normal combo -> land -> 236CD

Easy. What's there to say?

2. 2B -> 2B -> 236CD

Works only when you're very, very close. As in, you've been dashing into their body close.

3. (corner) Normal grab -> 2A -> 236CD

Off a grab.

4. 2B -> 2B -> far D -> 236D -> IAD C -> 236CD

The most common one that you'll probably be landing a lot. Use when your opponent is in the corner, or the IK won't hit. If you're not in the corner, use combo #1.

One star + IK:

1. Normal combo -> finisher is 236236A -> 236CD on their way down

Works if you get the timing down pat, and it's cool as all hell.

2. Normal combo -> finisher is CD/236C -> E -> 236CD

When you have no aura but have boost.

Two stars + IK:

1. Normal combo -> finisher is 236236A -> 623A on their way down -> E -> 236CD

One aura, one boost.

Three stars + IK:

1. 2B -> 2B -> 236CE -> CDE -> 6(boost) -> 623A -> E -> 236CD

Requires one boost, you gain another one halfway through.

2. 2B -> 2B -> far D -> 236D -> IAD C -> close D -> CD -> E~D -> 623A -> E~D -> 236C -> E~D -> 236CD

Requires two boosts, or the last boost to the IK won't work.

You have to slide your fingers from E to D in the second combo; DE does not work. Doesn't work against Toki and Raoh, and also requires that you be reasonably close to the corner.

---

Also remember that it's possible to use the three star combos and just IK in place of a star remover if the opponent has less than three stars.

That's all I remember ATM, more when I get some time to think about it.

Kenshiro's 623C has some weird properties. If you hit with it, try pressing ACE directly as the third hit lands. Kenshiro will do his grave shoot in midair, floating the opponent very high and making them unable to tech. Coming down, get them with a close D (another ground normal executed in midair), land, 236D, normal combo. A great way to get 1~3 stars (depending on your aura, boost, and whether or not you got a CH with your 623C in the first place).

2B 2B 2D AC, D 236D > IAD j.C (???)

Kenoh air recovered out before the D can hit. but you can jump after them the AC and do A, C, hokuto heizan or his DP........takes one star.

2B 2B D 236D > IAD j.C

J C can be air recovered before it hits.

Musou Tensei

Gives Ken the ability to parry high attacks by hitting Forward as the attack strikes him.

Can he parry low attacks at all? I've yet to parry a low attack in all the times i attempted it.

These combos both work, see other posts above.

As for Tensei parrying low hits, can Raoh not parry low hits? I was 99% certain it was impossible to with him, as we've experimented on several occations and never parried a low hit, nor seen anyone (including Japanese) parry a low hit. Have not experiemented with Ken's version though.

I'll update the combos when I get the chance. I haven't learned most of the ones you guys have posted so I will work them out next time I play.

Has anyone got any combos off the high CH 623B? Looks like you could do some nasty stuff with it considering it leaves them wallbounced half way up the wall. Maybe just a lot of 623A's until they get lower or something? ;p

Another thing, I have a lot of trouble with Ken V Heart. I can't really find a good way to get 'in' on Heart, because he can slam the ground pretty safely (assuming I don't have boost) and his AA is very effective VS any IAD I would try. It just seems like I don't have a solid entry that doesn't involve boosting my way in. Can I use the 236D to go through the ground slam attack?

Raoh can parry low hits, I've confirmed this myself. For high CH, try this: close D -> 236C, wait, dash in 623A, wait, normal wall combo ending with 23623A. Three stars. Can also end with CD -> E -> 236CD for three stars and IK. Try to get off a Musou Tensei vs Heart, parry his spike for a free combo. Before that, it's very hard for Ken to get the upper hand.

I'll have to try again, but I have never seen anyone parry low hits. Video proof would be nice just to confirm that I'm an idiot. I figured a combo like that would work. A good idea is to try and find how much damage each of Ken's moves do... so when you have a lot of time in a wallbounce combo like that, to only use that move when possible. For example, if 623A is his strongest move, you should use it as many times as you can at first to maximize damage output of the combo. I have trouble parrying those stupid spikes... they are much harder than they look. Usually I try to IB > Boost 2A or just avoid them and 2A. Can Ken do 6B through them? I might just spam on that if possible... but I would doubt it because the spikes hit everywhere. Any Ganzenryozanha combos or is the move just worthless in general?

It's just that low parrying is almost useless in general, since Musou Tensei has enough delay after reappearing that they can just mash 2B to make you block again or get hit. That's why nobody uses it. I'm pretty sure that Ken can 6B through the spikes, but you'd have to have good timing, you'd still lose a star, and if you don't have a boost, you're pretty much 50/50 against him on wakeup anyway. Ganzenryozanha -> E -> close D -> far D -> 236D -> high jump cancel (A-B-A-B-C) land, finisher. It's a juggle combo fyi, since 6A is a knockdown. You catch them in midair with the D. Parrying is easy if you have SF3 experience. The timing is pretty similar.

2B 2B 2D AC, D 236D > IAD j.C (???) 2B 2B D 236D > IAD j.C of course they work on people who don't jam on the air recover buttons or on stage 1 oppoents. man the auto air break out training option from ggx would be useful for making real combos but hnk is not on console yet.............. next time get someone to jam on the air recovery or try it on kenoh since he will break out of fake air combos most of the time in high difficulty setting. So I'm pretty sure the first combo doesn't work. as for the second combo I use the same speed i use for rei's IAD or Ken's IAD wall combos. next time i will try to be a bit faster in IADing the C on kenoh.

New Ken combo thanks to some videos. This is done VS Mamiya, no clue if it works on everyone or not: 2B 2B 236CE 6CDE 6, D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.A |> D 236D > IAD j.C |> 66 D 236D > IAD j.D? |> 236236A ~60% life, needs 1 Boost to start. Also, here is Kenshiro's 100%: CD 6, D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.A |> D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.D |> 6CDE 6E D 236D > sjc.A B A B D |> 236236A, 236236A, 6E 2B Needs 3 Boost stock and 2 Aura stock (you probably get an Aura doing it though). Here's a wallbounce combo off of CH 623B, done from the entire other corner: CH 623B, 66 j.B |> D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236C, 66 D 236D > IAD j.C |> 66 D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.B |> 236236A It's something like 80-90% life... for some reason the CH 623B does a fuckton of damage. May be possile to get more hits in there too.

Questions about kenshiro : ------------------------- Normal combo + otg + cd236 e-c + 623 e-a just versus shin ? What is the technique for otg CD + E +FATAL .KO ? CD + 236 E-D not work ! What is the real condition for kenshiro lose a star with 6B COUNTER + BOOST ? What is the best combinaison for combo easely with 100 % ? thanks a lot.

I think to get the OTG CD into IK you need to knock them down with a short combo, otherwise they will fall too fast for it to work. I haven't really toyed around with it though. You can also just connect the CD against them before they go OTG and then boost into OTG IK instead. I think to do that you just do a D CD, but I'd have to try it out to be sure. The only 100% he has I listed above.

Raoh can parry low hits, I've confirmed this myself.

Same here! I input 22 against Thouther's 2B, and Roah parry it! I did it three times so it should be true.

If you are doing it without the wallbounce, then yeah it's pretty hard and only works in some situations. Remember, timing for IAD's is totally different in this game than it is in GG, you can do them really fast in comparison. If you do them fast enough, you don't even go forward, you go diagonally down like Magneto. Also if you are having too much trouble, try using j.A C or j.B A instead. It's faster but might mess up the rest of your combo.

If you are doing it without the wallbounce, then yeah it's pretty hard and only works in some situations. Remember, timing for IAD's is totally different in this game than it is in GG, you can do them really fast in comparison. If you do them fast enough, you don't even go forward, you go diagonally down like Magneto.

Also if you are having too much trouble, try using j.A C or j.B A instead. It's faster but might mess up the rest of your combo.

Okay so it's supposed to be the trijump looking IAD for the combo and the combo is easier/possible off a wallbounce? That explains a lot I guess.

So if I were to hit like... iadB, 2B > 2B > far D XX 236D at the start of the match, at best I would probably only get to do something like sjA > B > A > B > D, land, 236C?

I need to start working boost into my game now, this game is so weird.

I THINK you can do a loop there. In other words you should be able to do: IAD j.B A |> 2B 2B D 236D > IAD j.C |> D 236D > sjc.A B A B D |> 236C But I'm not entirely sure. From some setups you can get that extra loop, but I don't know about that one in particular. On the wall bounce, yeah, you'll loop it about 3-5 times. With boost you'd want to do something like... IAD j.B A |> 2B 2B 236CE 6CDE 6, D 236D > IAD j.C |> 236D > IAD j.C > etc. etc. etc.

" They both work, we've already been over it." "If you are doing it without the wallbounce, then yeah it's pretty hard and only works in some situations." Gee first you say it works then say it's situational. I don't know about you but I prefer guaranteed combos to rely on. I did the magneto IAD C and it was teched. Did the regular IAD C and it was teched by the comp like 75% of the time. so is it a real non corner combo or not?

Sign in to follow this