Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kousaka

[CSE] Arakune Video, Critique & Discussion Thread

As always, amazing! Thank you! Whats the word on that epic ara tutorial that's being planned?

Uh...

:v:

What should I talk about?

SJ is making the video tutorial.

Tao is a retarded match up now. Gotta consider that, and Fumo was always the one who pulled through the most in bad match ups, not Souji.

This one's for you, kou.

I got several things to talk about.

First and foremost, you played very well, I like your movement pattern, it's very unorthodox, even for Arakune, that works well for psychological warfare. Also, I really enjoyed that curse combo set up you played out in round 1 of match 3, very solid, your defense is also on point, you blocked overheads, which is a luxury in America.

Now on the other hand there were a few things that could have been resolved better.
Your confirms need work, you did a lot of 5a > 6bs that could have served a better purpose like 5a > 2a > 5b > 5d at minimum range, or 5a > j.a > j.c > j.d on air hit (I'll have to see if you can get a DC 5d in there). You also took 5c AA for granted, when Ragna refuses to space his air hits, 2b will shoot any air attempt he tries to shit, it beats j.a/c/d clean, it trades with j.b in your favor, it low profiles under air ID and it recovers in time if he tries to feint with BE, at any time if he chose to start throwing out air IDs, 5c would have failed you. You also took backdash for granted as well, all Hsien needed to do was wait on wake up and react to the slow backdash that actually has recovery now, Hsien didn't seem like he was accustomed to the match up at that level of play, so you managed very wisely, Hsien was also very impatient which will throw that match up far in Arakune's favor. It could very well be EVO nerves, but you mess up all your unblockable resets and all of you 100% curse gold burst hitters.
You also got thrown a lot.

You seem to be a risk-free Arakune, I tend to take a few risks myself, but I do know that 5a > IAD j.a > j.a is one of my favorite pressure strings, especially if they like to Barrier.
We also could have seen more rising j.b > j.4b or rising j.b > IAD j.4b if you got the exe down.

Overall you played solid, but if Hsien knew a bit more on the match up, I don't know if you would have pulled through.

master kou exposed!!

skye come and play us, you sound like you'll be play against ^_^

by that it means

come get bodied >=D

skye come and play us, you sound like you'll be play against ^_^

I don't understand the end of that sentence, but I'd love to head north to play some folks, my Arakune is far from perfect and even I have to practice what I preach, but the experience is always good.

lol no yeah i totally agree with your comments... i did mess up alot of combos and unblockables.. whiffed random 6a's.. got thrown alot.. didn't space too well eating 5b's..

i was pretty nervous.. that was my second match, 8am pool on stream... i did a bit better when i play hsien chang again in double jeopardy

-against ragna i usually don't go for CH jB>5a>jC>JD i prefer to get them as far away as possible

-5a>2a>5b>5d combo i don't use because i miss that super jump air dash after alot

-i'm still learning to use jB>iad jB in my block strings

i tend to play pretty safe against ragna because im worried about ID's and 6a's

hsien chang doesn't play the game much so he didn't know much about arakune but his reactions and fundamentals are strong

we don't have any ragna mains in toronto so im not too familiar with ragna and 2b usage

thanks for the advice though skye~

blah blah blah. I'm getting a hard on. blah blah blah

Master kou is too nice, so I'll say it instead.

Who the fuck do you think you are?

@ skye:

Kou actually played Hsien again in double jeopardy and he lost the first game due to a stick malfunction and was forced to forfeit the first game.

Then he switched sticks and played super on point the next 2 games and was confirming almost everything perfectly (and he was visibly angry at his malfunctioning VLX; kou is a very scary player when he's angry), edit: and won those two games as well! It wasn't recorded, but you're going to have to take my word for it, and chalk the on-stream sloppiness to nerves.

Who the fuck do you think you are?

A fellow Arakune main, giving critique in the Arakune Video and Critique Thread.

Who are you? His groupie?

@Leo, I understand more than anyone the extra circumstances that factor in during play, but all viewers have to go on is the video content itself. I have to assume he's of (mostly) calm mind and playing under fair circumstances.

Sucks to hear that though.

Meh, Hsien didnt know the matchup. You just dropped combos. you probably did what ever you wanted against him in losers. He didn't know the spacing so he was running into everything. Knowing that you can risk bursting early. You knew he couldn't block any of the curse shit. He did bail you out in the winners a few times by teching into bugs but that's his fault for not blocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSgHz0K9pLQ#t=7m51s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE2-ZZ3O1Xg#t=4m54s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gokeo5Akrkc

(Timestamped them to proper places).

These are videos from a recent 3vs3 Team Tournament. There's only about 3 sets of 2 rounds in each video (since it's lose two rounds then off). So if you guys can, can you give them a little watch and give me some criticism? Doesn't have to be Arakune related stuff, can just be stuff wrong with fundamentals. Just whatever you thought was wrong with how I was playing.

Just quick note, me doing the B Dive is me messing up the input for IAD J.4B. All the other dives were intentional, regardless if they were a good idea or not.

Thanks guys. :). I tried to take your advice last time and play more tricky and unpredictable.

Your air movement is very predictable. Floating around predictably and not moving very smoothly and slowly. It'll be dangerous against characters with good air to air, anti air, and air throws. You'll also have a hard time maneuvering in on zoners without better air control. Keep in mind that you can air dash cancel forward with things other then jB such as barrier, air throw, and jA. You can jump cancel j6a's and follow with air dash cancels. You can air back dash cancel. These will help you make your air movement more fluid.

Your corner curse combos need improvement. 5a>6b>j6d is handy but in the corner you can get much more. 5a>6b>iad jd>6b>iad jd>5d is 100% curse and has other variations if you don't need the full 100%.

Corner curse game. You mainly did 6c overhead spam. You should work on corner curse reset setups and pressure.

Getting curse during curse building combos need work. You don't transition into curse well during curse building combos. In situations where you gain curse on 5d during a dive combo and you end up doing jA>jC>jD you should hold CD and then release a bit after jC. They will catch on the 5c bug and 5d bug will connect. This allows you to go into a rep of wheel or directly go into resets/pressure. Although ideally you should recognize that you go into curse on the 5d and do 6b bug 5cd bug instead.

Your air movement is very predictable. Floating around predictably and not moving very smoothly and slowly. It'll be dangerous against characters with good air to air, anti air, and air throws. You'll also have a hard time maneuvering in on zoners without better air control. Keep in mind that you can air dash cancel forward with things other then jB such as barrier, air throw, and jA. You can jump cancel j6a's and follow with air dash cancels. You can air back dash cancel. These will help you make your air movement more fluid.

Your corner curse combos need improvement. 5a>6b>j6d is handy but in the corner you can get much more. 5a>6b>iad jd>6b>iad jd>5d is 100% curse and has other variations if you don't need the full 100%.

Corner curse game. You mainly did 6c overhead spam. You should work on corner curse reset setups and pressure.

Getting curse during curse building combos need work. You don't transition into curse well during curse building combos. In situations where you gain curse on 5d during a dive combo and you end up doing jA>jC>jD you should hold CD and then release a bit after jC. They will catch on the 5c bug and 5d bug will connect. This allows you to go into a rep of wheel or directly go into resets/pressure. Although ideally you should recognize that you go into curse on the 5d and do 6b bug 5cd bug instead.

kk. Thanks for that. Though I did do the full corner combo a couple of times. I think you just missed them. I'll work on the other stuff though.

I agree with all that kousaka says, and if i can add a little thing: Do less jD and do them more close to the ground, this move is already unsafe, don't make it worth =p

I agree with all that kousaka says, and if i can add a little thing: Do less jD and do them more close to the ground, this move is already unsafe, don't make it worth =p

I don't know about that. I've watched through the vids again and can only see one point where I didn't do a J.D after a Single Jump Full Screen. Well, regardless, good advice is good advice. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=arQLaB8a374#t=21s

Take a close look at what VER did with this 5a > air combo, very interesting implementation of the trajectory control over j.c's bounce.

5a > j.a > *[j.c > j.2a] > DC 5d > sj.a > j.c > j.d

*Now he either did j.4c or j.1a, it's likely he did the former since there was a slight delay, but maybe there wasn't and the trajectory is instant.

This could stabilize a lot of his dive cancel combos.

Did you stop playing Arakune for a while?

Yeah. Why?