Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Janiekenzu

[CS2] Ragna Block Strings and Mix-Ups

-I didn't see anything about this, and i want to Enforce my Offense and Mix up game-

Basic Mix up I use -

5b - 5b 2b / 5b GH

5a - 5a, 6b/ 5a, 2b / Frame trap - 5a, 2c Or 5a, 5a xN

2b - 2b,6b, 2b,2b / Frame trap 2b/2c

6b - If Blocked 6b,GH(Anti american tatic.) 6b, 3c

2c - 2c,6c,6d.d or 2c,6c,6d.d (whiff 2nd hit) 2b/3c

6d - 6d.d / 6d.d(2nd hit whiff) 2b/3c/ 6d.d(2nd hit whiff) 6b/ GH

If anything else please share :/

3c - 3c,IAD 623D RC / After knock down/3c IAD, j.c j.d /3c, IAD j.c land 2b

Janiekenzu tactic ~

After KD, j.c RC j.c -fuzzy guard-, / j.c RC IAD j.c j.d /j.c IAD j.c 2b

2C - 2C -> 6B, 2C -> nothing (for DP mashers/ reversal baits), 2C -> 6D (pressure reset)

5A stuff same as 2A (duh)

2A (Basic grab mixups) - 2A -> 5A -> Grab, 2A -> 5A -> 2A -> Grab (TRM setup), 2A -> (5A ->) 6D (Grab whiff setup)

5b - A classic 5b>2b>6b(if blocked)2d or GH(The opponent will probably being crouch)/5b>2b>3c if the opponent think you'll use an overhead/5b>5c>2c>6c(if blocked)>RC GH

2b - 2b>6b>3c>GH/2b>5b>5c>GH

5c - 5c>2c>GH or 2d

Instead of just listing off buttons of what we do in blockstring (Because we're all Ragna and his normal are pretty standard and boring), let's talk about why we use string X or normal X in terms of what we're trying get from our opponent.

I tend to run a lot of 2C strings into 6C. It catches mashing. I can catch people trying to jump out as well and because the move is rather slow, people like to try and punish it or stick something in after the 2nd hit. Thats when I aim for JCC Hells or Gauntlet. (In the corner, I'll go for JCC Deathspike) If it's not IB'd I just DC it, then, take the guess of 50/50. Either throw, to beat out any normal Ragna could to throw out or DP. If I think it's a throw, TK GH. If i have the meter, it's a rather obvious place to put a DP, so, I usually run it into 2A, making an obvious feint like i'm going for a throw attempt. Then throwing. I'm aiming for that lovely throw reject miss.

That's one block string and why I do what i'm doing. Every 'chokepoint' in there leads to some pretty good damage and some meter. 2C-6C. Hells Mixup if I delay the JCC.Hells Counter Hells. TK GH. Counter TK GH. Throw.

enforcing short dashes is always Key in my mix ups.

5b 2b 66 etc

or 5b 2b 66 Throw

or 5b 2b. . Frame trap 2c

Or Do nothing 5b 2b 66 Block to bait DP's etc.

Or when you gatling to 2c, replace it with 6d for continued pressure etc etc.

Someone who IBs 2C is going to mash out of your 6C attempt. If you are going to use 6C in a string after 2C, try to avoid using your 5C prior. That way, you have the option of chaining to 5C to CH mashers.

Example, a good lead in to this mixup is 2A-2C or 5B-2C. From here, you have 6B high, 6C low, or 5C to CH mashing. If 5C CHs and you are close enough, you can 6C for a damaging combo, or 2D RC if you have meter. You can also 3C to CH mashers, which leads to good damage on CH. 6A is another option to CH someone that leads to good damage. The issue with these options is that if you guess wrong, they all have pretty limited pathways as far as how you can continue pressure or stay safe. 3C and 6A are nice because they are JCable on block, but if you're trying to stay honest, that makes you somewhat predictable and opens up certain counters. 5C requires you to cancel into something if you are too close, it's -5 on block, so an IB will let quick characters jab you for a free combo. If the opponent stays passive in order to wait out these options, you get to mix them up more or potentially reset your pressure. This is how Ragna's offense works, for the most part. You have to be willing to take risks and do potentially unsafe things, like resetting your pressure with 6D or canceling into specials which may leave you open to be punished if you guess wrong.

The main thing is to look at the numbers and try to remain aware of what your options are compared to your opponents. The IB nerf combined with blockstun increase on a lot of Ragna's weaker normals makes it a lot easier to keep people from mashing out, but you still have to take everything into consideration, such as reversals which your opponent can use. A lot of the strings I see posted above me involve moves that are mad negative on block or strings that are just not airtight (5B then dash? Really?).

(5B then dash? Really?).

I hear ya. The thing that really gets me is, who are you playing if they are letting you get away with stuff like that on the regular? Throwing 5B once, raw, running up mad negative, then doing something else that first one time, will make anyone worth anything go "Oh wait a fucking minute."

Leaves me pretty open jaw'd.

People still dont see how 5D is underrated >:

Sometimes you can get away with stuff like 5D(1) dash cancel --> stuff and its variations. Kaqn usually, or rarely, catches people offguard by just doing 2A 5D(1) (DC) Grab/Pressure resets/Inferno divider/6D etc.

Surely, thats a hugeass gap for punishes, but lets get throw in some randomness.

Well, its a sort of Kara, you are actually dash cancelling the second hit, before it connects. And it works on any sort of block and on hit.

HF is good too, but too near, leaves you at disvantage.

Question, is 6C(1) > DC any less frame disadvantage in CS2? I feel like I've seen people do it more so I was wondering.

I agree on the 5D(1) use. Whenever I do 5D and it gets blocked, I seem to forget I can cancel/DC from the first hit. Sometimes I resort to doing a super delayed HF to cancel and possibly catch people off guard, but obviously that is highly punishable by certain things.

I'll have to try using 2C more too, I need to get it in my head that it can cancel to all kinds of stuff now.

started using 2A > 662C or 662B > 2C to catch people mashing A while crouch blocking, this is a great way to make someone stop mashing 2A while you pressure them, you get a free fatal combo every time if they don't comply and start respecting 2C. I also found that using 6D > J.D whiff mix-up is pretty good too. At the corner if opponent is locked on blocking, Whatever xx>6D > J.D > 662C > 6D > j.D (delay as possible), go in for 662B hitconfirm, grab or if you're feeling risky overhead them with 6B or GH. 6D is pretty versatile, you can barrier jump back from pressuring them if they IB it and you expect them to reversal.

Yeah I would RC HF into additional pressure if i think my opponent is going to crack soon. not the follow up but the first hit.

And wait, Dash canceling in a block string is obviously unsafe :( its good to do it once in a while, but once people see 5d all your options at that point are unsafe .

Everyone should be using 2C in any block string if they're close enough. +1, high-low options, used as a frame trap, definitely IMO one of his, if not his best normal.

I think 6D j.D whiff is much more unsafe now because 6D's attack level got nerfed. Its unsafe to the point that even some C moves will beat you cleanly.

Btw people, Ragna's hitboxes are now avaiable on framedata

5D is risky for reasons similar to what I stated above, limited cancel options make it predictable. 5D 1 hit DC is good if your opponent is extremely defensive and has poor reactions, but it's extremely negative on block.

6D's attack level was actually buffed, BTW (went to level 5 from level 4 in previous game).

2C is fantastic.