Sign in to follow this  
TheSlyMoogle

Anji vs. Venom

gonna be a lil project heh, have very little actual experience here This is one of those whoever gets stuck in corner pressure first loses kinda matches from what I can tell. venom's pressure is amazing, but his anti-pressure is awful. He must rely on good old fashioned blocking, slashback (if he's 1337 like that), and DAA. So yeah whoever is in the corner is probably gonna die lol. Defensively: you can reversal fujin through dark angel on wakeup. maybe good for a surprise sometimes but I'm sure it's easily dealt with. from standing it's hard as fuck but possible. on block it does about 5% of your life, so don't bother FDing it unless your life is very low. instead you could try to IB as many hits as you can to gain extra tension, you can get over 25% meter from doing this. he has very good mixup with good overheads and a throw that yields combos. his lows consist of 2K and 2D he may do blockstrings into his dubious curve (his 421+button special), likely from 5H. in which case you can autoguard it with 6K and get free autoguard special of your choice or free 236H unless he frcs and blocks. you can also backdash from whatever the attack is that you think he'll do it from. combos: - juggle ender 5KSH > shitsu will otg as long as not too far away, if you did FB shitsu this creates unblockables that are basically guaranteed - he's hard to combo into On, AND it's hard to combo after On hits

You can also HS Fuujin within his block strings ending in Stinger Aim, but it's risky since he can FRC and knock you down again. You can HS Fuujin through S Carcass Raid, too, but the timing on it is kinda weird. I'm positive I've done it, I just need to test some things regarding it. 6K Autoguard into Aoi is also a good way to retaliate vs S Carcass Raid pressure strings. Back in Slash, this used to be 5HS but we all know what happened. Butterfly rushdown is still useful here if he wants to spam balls from far away, so if he wants to keep zoning you, you can use the 2nd part of Shitsu to slowly get in HS Fuujin or 6S range. He isn't safe in the air. Everything he does when he goes airborne, you can counter with autoguards, j.K, or j.D, unless he's smart and covers his air rushdown with balls, then you should just block or if you're feeling confident, autoguard the balls and cancel into Kou. Anji's j.S, while still strong, is slower than Venom's j.P (which is his best air normal with horizontal range) and will beat j.S, so keep that in mind. I can say a lot more about this match (details and such), since I've constantly been playing with good Venom players, but midterms are upon me (damn). So I'll try to add more later.

OK, as promised, Venom match up

IMO, this match has changed a bit from Slash, with added tactics here and there.

Things to Note

Butterfly zoning and rushdown is good to counter his ball spam.

He is helpless in the air without ball cover, but j.P is an awesome move in Venom's part, and it will beat your air normals on the way up. Watch out for this and counter with j.D or 5P. j.K is still good if he tries to jump away.

Anji's super jump can close in the gap if he tries to run away because of it's range. Use it wisely.

When you start locking him down, do your best to keep him there. Once he escapes, you give him room to start his setups, and Anji's escape options (while better than Venom's) are situational at best. Patience is key here when you are locked down by him.

A lot of his pokes are very vulnerable to HS Fuujin.

A proper defense can pretty much shut him out when he's locking you down. Get used to how his mixups work and you'll have an easier time here.

Start of the match

Opening move options:

1. 6S - this is the best move you can do at the start of the round vs Venom. It will autoguard his opening normals (2S, far 5S, Stinger Aim) and is faster than anything else he can do (Carcass Raid). Only thing that beats this is Double Head Morbid (which is a risky move in his part as an opener, more on that later). If this hits, you can start your pressure game of your choice. If it counter hits, you can HS Fuujin him and end with Rin for a knockdown. Same thing if it's blocked, you can force him to go defensive early on. He can't jump away from this, or they'll get tagged. Go to an aircombo if it does hit.

Escapes for this option are Teleport, backdash (his safest option) and Double Head Morbid (risky). When you see him teleport, you open up more options. If he tries to dash away or delay his movement with Air Ball Formation, super jump and hit him with j.D. If he goes for Mad Struggle, you can 6K into Kou for damage/set ups and push him to the corner.

2. HS Fuujin - AKA The Horizontal Shoryuken. This will plow through a lot of what he does at the start of the match (normal pokes, backdash, Stinger Aim) and the options when this baby hits or is blocked are really good. Thing is, HS Fuujin is less safe of an opener than 6S. Carcass Raid beats this clean out unless you delayed it really late. 2D will also beat this (but this only occurs when you've conditioned them not to use his other normal moves at the start). If blocked, start your post Fuujin mind games and hope he doesn't catch on to them.

He can also counter this by jumping, but you can always Rin him when he goes down, or cancel Rin into Kou if he tries to j.K or Mad Struggle you. He can't delay his descent with an air Ball formation (because of Rin's Juggernaut Punch-like hitbox) but he can double jump and then Mad Struggle to hit you (risk in his part).

3. K Kai - This is a big risk on your part, as it is a very situational opener, but can be very rewarding if it pays off. He can counter this with a lot of things (HS Carcass Raid, j.D, airthrow or IB ground throw). This will stuff his 2D and S Carcass Raid at the start of the match, but again this is a situational occurrence, as Venom players will opt for more safer ways to open a round. Far 5S will also hit you before you can rise off the ground (and this is on of his safest moves to begin with). When you do hit with this, combo into On and keep up the pressure.

Of course you can also go the safe route by blocking, air dashing or jumping/super jumping backwards, since Anji has a way to deal with his full screen ball spam (more on that later) and rush down.

Dealing with Ball zoning/rushdown

Anji can deal with this like in Slash by using Shitsu from far away. You can use Shitsu from full screen to slowly close in the gap if he keeps zoning you with balls. The butterfly will transform into it's 2nd phase and will eat any other balls in its path, allowing you to get in a bit closer, hopefully into 6S, IAD P/S or HS Fuujin range. They will also be reluctant to advance when they see the butterfly changes, giving you more time to move in.

Just be careful not to get predictable in tossing out the butterflies, since he can do Stinger Aim to hit you and negate the butterfly when there other balls on the screen. FB Stinger Aim is fast and will allow him to start his pressure or set up more balls. Or if you're at mid screen range, he can IAD j.K into a knockdown combo to set up is okizeme game. This of course can be baited and punished by j.K, 6P or 6K into Kou.

Once your in range for 6S, IAD P/S or HS Fuujin, you have a lot of ways to take the fight to him. 6S is fast enough when you're in range, but don't rely on it's autoguard property. HS Fuujin will go through his attacks, giving you the chance to capitalize. IAD P or S can catch him when he thinks you're going for a ground offense, but this can be countered by his 6P or HS Carcass Raid. Be patient and watch what he does when you're in range for offense.

Dealing with his lockdown game

This is where you don't want to be. Venom's lockdown is really good, and he can keep you locked down for a good amount of time, building your guard meter and punishing you when you make a mistake in blocking. A good thing about this is that Anji has anti-pressure options versus his, and are overall better than what he has for escape.

1. Super jump - Very, very good option. The only way he can prevent this is if he predicts it and meets you in the air with j.P or an airthrow. Anji's super jump has extremely long range, allowing you to go back into a neutral state. Another counter to this is Double Head Morbiding a ball so it goes straight up. Watch out for this and time your jumps well.

2. HS Fuujin - Very useful in this situation as he has to keep his normal moves and ball summoning within tight spots to keep you from using this, but the situation more often than not will present itself because of what they normally use (2S, Stinger Aim) in lockdowns. HS Fuujin has the capacity to go through multiple balls and his pokes within it when timed correctly. Again this can be countered, so be patient when you want to use this.

3. Autoguard into Kou or Aoi - Another option and will knock him away from you, allowing you to start your offense. You can autoguard a lot of his stuff, especially when he comes in from the air even with ball cover. Use Kou when they try a mixup with balls and jumping and Aoi for ground variations.

As said by Tiamat, when you see them use Dubious Curve in their lockdown, 6K it and cancel into Aoi. This is a very good surprise move. The can only counter this if they RC/FRCd Dubious Curve and they blocked or jumped.

Watch out for throw mixups along with his ball lockdown. Counter this by the normal means (jumping, throwing, 2P, etc) or you can use 3K, which has a good chance of autoguarding his 2K during his throw mixups and is throw invulnerable.

On offense/locking him down

Ok, you've knocked him down. The basic Shitsu pressure and mixup options work on Venom, as he has to take more risks to escape your pressure. Backdash is very punishable by HS Fuujin or run up throw. 2S is a big risk for him, as you can simply block and let the butterfly hit, and 2P is faster than it if you're close enough.

His best option (asides from good old fashion blocking) is to teleport BUT ONLY WHEN HE HAS A BALL SOMEWHERE ELSE and not above him (due to the butterflly's 2nd phase). Keep this in mind when you see a ball floating away from the butterfly so you can chase him when he does teleport. Unlike before, he can't use 2D as a counter for pressure (yay!).

During re-Butterfly situations, remember to not be predictable, as he can simply 2S on the 2nd Shitsu attempt before it reaches him. Mix it up with P Kai, S Fuujin, 6K or 2K (since this is faster than his 2S) aside from the normal mixup options (3P, 2P -> 2K gatling, throws, etc).

You can OTG Butterfly him when you manage to On him to the corner, making for interesting mixup options.

Overall, I still think this is 5-5, at worst 5.5-4.5 in favor of Venom.

I think that covers Venom. Hope this helps. Any changes/comments or criticisms are welcome.

HAYABUSA EDIT: Maybe we can add a combo section for Venom? I don't have the resources to test combos on him at the moment.

hey thanks. sadly I never got to play titan44/tityfofo =[ combos: iirc you can do fujin loops and stuff. he's similar to ky as far as combos are concerned it's been a while so that's just iirc though. also red shitsu you will want to do it later than normal cause he stands up slowly after knockdowns. the 5K5S5H combo ender in corner will give otg butterfly setup agianst him if close enough

yeah, fujin is nearly always preferable if you have a choice between autoguard and fujin. way more damage potential usually

I would enjoy this match more if the Venom player I have constant matches with would stop sweeping my Fuujin. I don't think you can go through it. Can you? Also, is it possible to AG-->D, or even AG--41236S on Dark Angel, or as we like to call it "the rape ball"

I'm confused as to how that situation would even come up. I've never seen a Venom use Dark Angel outside of absolute lockdown or meaties; in either case, there's not enough time to get 6K out. If they're just randomly doing it mid-screen and you DO have time to get it out, both of those are severely punishable on whiff.

You could try it yes, but the closer it is to being completely meaty means you are looking at just frame input, and if you botch it, you're losing out terribly on the risk reward. Also keep in mind, if you do autoguard only FB autoguard, and possibly Kachofuugetsu have enough invulnerability to beat DA. FB autogaurd is no good because venom isn't going to be right on top of you when he does DA. Kachofuugetsu has a better shot assuming the super flash lasts long enough for DA to pass thru, but again it takes some reach, and venom could actually have time to block, in which case Anji is royaly boned. Basically, the theory there, but the risk reward is pretty rotten.

Sign in to follow this