Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dusty

[CS2] Hazama vs. Valkenhayn

This matchup is pretty scary. Going out on a whim here i'll say this is probably one of the few matchups that's not harshly in Hazama's favor.

I really can't provide much help because I haven't fought enough Valkenhayn yet, but here's a few things to consider. Valk has better movement than Hazama, and thus can get around chains better than most characters. He still has to respect them but if you make one wrong guess he's in and you're at a disadvantage trying to call back your chain. You really want to stay away whenever you're not putting in pressure (welcome to playing Hazama) because he basically has better rushdown and a lot of moves for you to learn to respect.

Don't even fly in on a blocked chain ever in this match. Hell, it might be a good idea to just not fly in at all until BBCSE because of the dumbass head invul on Valk's [w]5b. Either wolf 5b will rape your shit or human 6a will. The wolf mixup is really not that good outside of [w]5a,low and [w]j5a,overhead which he can and will use during a wolf dash. Basically try as hard as you can to zone and keep an eye out for your confirm or opening. don't forget that you have j8d too if you really need it. Good luck with this one, hope to see more input.

Control space with your chains. Don't chain where he is, chain where he wants to go. Should you make a wrong guess fly away in the safest followup possible. Good Valkenhayns will bait your AA of choice, and stance is a pretty easy read, so stick with other AA. He has no real reversal on wakeup outside of 6A (risky for him) and Wolf Blitz Super combo whateverthefuckit'snameis (riskier still). Once you get a knockdown, go to town oki-ing his ass. If he breaks his wolf gauge, use that time to try and make your way in if you need to. 6A is nowhere near as good as [w]5B. He out reaches you midscreen of course, so zoning here is key. Wolf can out manuever your chains if you're straightforward with them.

UGH Wolf nigga is such a pain. [W]5B is amazing but you could attempt to shoot a chain at his face and get a knock down.

Conventional chain zoning the wolf bad idea, flying around the wolf EXCELLENT idea. Just be careful and don't get hit.

My biggest gripe about Wolf nigga (other than [W]5B) is air BEAST CANNON! The B Beast cannon comes down at you at a very awkward angle making it difficult to AA. 5A will not work period. Also if you block the beast cannon Wolf nigga is + on block :arg:

And to go off that he'll probably go for a low right after the wolf cannon. However, the cannon takes a second, so if you see it coming, getting a CH Rising Fang is worth the effort, and its something to keep in mind if they really like IAD jump ins. This, of course, can be baited and punished terribly, so you're better off with something a bit safer or just punishing after blocking jc. Grabs beat that most of the time or even just A's. Just don't let that bitch in. He plans on ripping up that nice suit of yours...

Also its worth mentioning that j8D might not be very reliable against Valk. His air hitbox is weird thanks to that lanky man's figure. So be mindful of that and don't let yourself wiff it and make an opening for him.

When dealing with his AAs, I find you really don't have that much to worry about. I'm not saying don't worry about it, but its not quite as dangerous as they're made out to be, I don't think. 6A's range is terrible, so try and start up j2C or 5B a bit early so you can beat him to the punch. These ARE somewhat risky, because he could have the timing down and sometimes, SOMETIMES, 2C will be able to actually beat j5B, despite losing its glorious AA ability. But in this match-up its worth taking some risks. As soon as you put him on the defensive, the whole tide of the battle could change very drastically. All he's got once under pressure is counter-assault, bursting, and his distortion reversal. So if he has heat and is under pressure, don't abuse 214D~A. Its not that great of an overhead, anyway. The wolf AA really should only be a concern if you're jumping in without chains, and he's already in wolf form. The transformation time needed to use his 5B is just too much for him to beat most things.

As for yourself, as Dusty said, don't stand still. Standing still just gives him a myriad of ways for him to close in and bite your hat off. Seriously, he wants that hat, man, don't let him take the hat. So to do that, keep flying around, trading sides of the screen to keep you away from that maw, and maybe he'll waste enough meter so that he'll be stuck with IAD jump-ins, and those are pretty damn punishable.

Ok...to be honest, I'm not entirely familiar with the match-up on the Hazama side. I main both character so I've been on both sides, Valk side more though. So this is going off what has worked for me because of the mistakes Hazama players have made. So feel free to cut this down, and shit, heh. Hope it helps though! This match-up really is a bitch, for both sides.

I'd like to correct myself on some points I made in my previous post. Now that I have more experience in the match-up.

Remember how I said not to be that afraid of [w]5B? Be afraid. Be very afraid. If you come in without a hit confirm, you're asking for almost 3k worth of damage, if not more. Its extremely dangerous to approach him on a blocked chain, especially blindly. It'll come out of no where and wreck your shit.

So approaching without a chain hitconfirm is just stupid against a Valk who knows what he's doing. Instead, keep him from safely charging you with chain pressure and fly around until you get a hit confirm and then go on the offensive. Be the biggest pain in the ass to catch and you'll be able to avoid a lot of damage and perhaps frustrate him to the the point of a good opening. Rising Fang is your friend here.