Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ehuangsan

My Ky Trade Secrets thread

Any chance we could get a write up on playing against Chipp? One thing I learned the few times I got to play against Chipp, is to not use stun edge on neutral and never end block strings in 2d, because Chipp can punish Ky's on block, and stun edge is never safe due to teleports.

Kliff is the wackiest character in the game lol. And playing Dizzy for the first time feels like an exacerbated version of the Venom matchup. And her normals are surprisingly good.

Kliff is the wackiest character in the game lol. And playing Dizzy for the first time feels like an exacerbated version of the Venom matchup. And her normals are surprisingly good.

Yeah, Kliff is really strange, but I feel like Ky really wins out on that one.

He's kinda helpless when you get in his face

I don't know, I've always felt this matchup was in Kliff's favor. He does what Ky does, but gets more rewards for hitting you and you get for hitting him, due to his larger more damaging normals and 2hs OTG.

It feels like it's in his favor whenever I play against this character.

I don't know, I've always felt this matchup was in Kliff's favor. He does what Ky does, but gets more rewards for hitting you and you get for hitting him, due to his larger more damaging normals and 2hs OTG.

It feels like it's in his favor whenever I play against this character.

I've got a pretty good one in my area that I play against all the time.

Like yeah he's got really big normals and damage, but they're all kinda slow and it's pretty hard for him to keep you out or to even get in on you since his mobility is pretty bad unless he manages to get a hit.

And then when you get in, he's got like 0 options to get you off of him besides SNK dodge, which CAN work, but it can get bodied pretty hard

Been busy with work, but I can do Milia and Chipp eventually, sure. Probably Chipp first.

The Dizzy matchup changed pretty drastically from AC to +R. What use to be in Ky's favor is now fairly drastically in Dizzy's favor, which I think is a fairly typical pattern for +R.

The Kliff matchup is one that I don't really have a clear opinion on, although I do lean towards it being in favor of Ky.

Perhaps I just need better ways of dealing with his aerial options. I haven't played Kliff offline in a while honestly.

@eh-sama, very much appreciated.

So I take back what I said about the Kliff matchup, I guess terrible lag was influencing me. But Dizzy feels as bad, if not slightly worse. then the venom matchup.

She also has a french ass hitbox like her husband lol. DP's whiff on her if you go for a standard air series combo.

Ky definitely has it good against Kliff. I think you may have been struggling because you just didn't know how to fight Kliff yet. Most Kliff players kind of rely on you not knowing how to beat certain tactics to get themselves in a situation where they can faceroll you. Once you learn how to punish his stuff at neutral, Kliff has to play much more cautiously.

Regarding Ky's matchups overall, I think you're on to something there Ernest. It seems to me like Ky has mostly good/even matchups against mid tier and below, but has really bad matchups against most of the high tier characters. Faust, Justice and Dizzy seem to give Ky the most grief.

@qwerty, yeah you're right. I just have to use better non-commital tools to shut down his air game.

Anyone that zones better and has a stronger neutral than Ky, or shut down his neutral game (potemkin) are generally very bad for him. Perhaps this is why I'm so critical of how they balanced ACR compared to Xrd...

Like I posted before, it's more like, "Can Ky choose to do nothing without severe consequences?" If he can choose to sit there and wait, and go for counterpunches instead of starting anything then it's even or better for Ky. Not that choosing to do nothing is necessarily the best option, but that it's available if Ky wants to do that.

However, if Ky cannot just sit there and do nothing and instead has to attack and be active or lose, then it's probably not a good matchup for Ky as he loses out in such yomi intensive slugfests.

FWIW, it may seem odd but I do almost zero yomi when I play as Ky. Maybe something like 1% yomi, 20% trying to position you where I can react to you and 79% doing counterpunches on reaction.

I really like doing nothing, myself. Until I feel like I know what someone wants to do and I Greed Sever over it. That's always the best.

Once again, wondering if we could get some write ups on matchups that could also be useful for when xrd drops. Like Chipp or Millia, if not ACR specific like Dizzy. Thanks eh-sama for what you've done so far. :)

Ky vs. Chipp

I waver on this one from time to time, but most of the time I think Chipp wins out 5.5-4.5 mostly because he's a better version of Ky.
The matchup is a role reversal for Ky. Ky will be going for damage even though he is not terribly adept at it, but it's possible because of Chipp's poor health.
Chipp will hit Ky a lot, Ky will try to go for a haymaker whenever possible.

Start of Round
5S or Greed Sever immediately for a gamble that could let you dictate the round right there. They really hurt Chipp on counterhit and at the start of the round, refute a lot of Chipp's options (although 5S/GS refute different Chipp moves).
It's definitely worth a try maybe every other round or so.

Neutral

Everything hurts Chipp. When in doubt, go for damage instead of oki, especially since it's rather hard for either side to really attack the other without one side leaving an opening.
Chipp has a pretty difficult time beating the pattern of jump backwards k, into FRC S SE or air backdash HS. If he tries to teleport, the jump back K will actually hit Chipp out of the teleport backwards, and you can chain that into the standard air combo. This dancing around will also give you time to react to a gamma blade or backdash with an airdash S >HS as needed.

On the ground, you will want to be mostly just outside Chipp's 2D range so you can attack with far S or 5HS, or sometimes, greed sever. CH Greed Sever is a great equalizer in this matchup as it will lead into a lot of damage simply because it's Chipp.

SEs should be normally used sparingly and mostly with FRC, as Chipp can punish them on reaction with teleport. This unfortunately also includes 5S into SE, which Chipp can punish with alpha blade into damage.
Also strings into stun dipper should be used sparingly as Chipp can punish them on reaction with 2D without blocking.

Defense

If you get caught in a Chipp gatling, just FD and jump away. No need to overthink defense too much; getting thrown doesn't lead to damage against Ky.
Chipp does not have many mixup options on the ground, although you do have to pay attention to the 6K mixup if he has tension. Otherwise just run away.
A lot of his air mixups are also refuted by jump backwards K, airthrow or 6P.
If he air dashes backwards H, then you can lay the hurt with 6P.
Against a J.D or J.HS above you, you can go for SVT counterhit, air throw, or chicken block into throw.
Any string that he does into air dash HS can be refuted by SiN magic airthrow.
As everything hurts against Chipp, being more aggressive on defense is not a terrible thing, although you would rather make it harder for Chipp to attack you in neutral than allow him to have tries on offense.

Offense

Again, go for damage instead of oki. Chipp has so little health that it is possible to turn the match into a two combo game.
Even something silly like something into j.s > j.HS > RTL, land and air combo does remarkable damage to Chipp.
It is not really that important to push offense as much as it is to set up situations where you can haymaker him.

Overall it's really a game of just hit him really hard when you hit him and not worry too much if he hits you. Don't be afraid to spend meter to tack on damage.

I could've sword the matchup was worse than this. I guess the Ky's I've seen on youtube were either severely outplayed or they just didn't know the matchup as much as the Chipp players did.

It just looks that way because when Chipp wins, it's either a perfect or he wins by a sliver, with hardly any in-between.

Unlike other characters, Chipp allows for a pretty nice comeback factor.

Eh-sama, have you had a chance to play Xrd yet? If so, what are your thoughts on Ky and the game overall? Do you think we could get a write on playing against Millia? I am under the assumption we are to play her like Chipp, I've gotten a lot of people that use her online, so I've been curious.

Thanks.

I have. Maybe it's the new graphics that's throwing my timing off, but I really feel like Ky got a lot stubbier in XRD and that he's somewhat mediocre overall.

His new corner game is now extremely fun though.

I'll try to get a millia writeup sometime soon.

Stubbier as in sluggish? He's actually quite strong when it comes to hi neutral game I find, and got a lot of the necessary changes to make him a contending character, unlike in ACR. Of course all in my opinion. But I feel ACR gave him a lot of mediocre tools that didn't completely necessarily fix all of his glaring weaknesses.

The initial dash speed is back to #R is why. Also it's widescreen now. Everyone's stuff feels stubbier. (Slayer is the most noticeable specially DoT) Ky is super super good tho in Xrd honestly. Damage and Reward is really high for him. And outside of Faust and maybe Millia he doesn't feel like he has a bad match up at all. The return of the 5f Stun Dipper, 5S being back to a level 5, 2H being the god tier normal (better than it was in Slash), Ciel in general, better frame advantage on jabs and his general neutral is still great.

bad stuff is like 2S being -3 again, needing RtL to get air knockdown, Stun Edges being hot trash (-10 on block what the hell is this)

He's definitely good in Xrd tho.

The massive damage off of silly things is quite a surprise, but it seems like everyone does massive damage now, including Chipp. I think I just need to play the game more and I'll have a better idea of how Ky works once I get my copy. So far though, he feels like a ghetto version of #R Ky with all the pluses and minuses from #R.

I will admit that Ciel setups in the corner are retardedly strong and the oki options and tech traps you can induce are really amazing. You can kill people extremely quickly in the corner.

RTL being fully invincible from frames 1-22, fortified projectile enhancements (durandal call), 3hs at the beginning of any combo, high damage, split ciel, his new 5d among the listed reasons you guys have are why I love Xrd Ky so much.

He's a lot more in depth in terms of combos than ACR Ky.