Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HexaNoid

[CS2/CSE] Lambda Critique And Self-Improvement Thread

Ok I'll critique after this Persona 4 episode. Just wondering if we should take this to the critiquing thread or if I should just do it here... Hey Toan! Tell me what to do! :(

Game 1: I just want to get this out of the way right now... It doesn't look like you know the Lambda vs Rachel MU very well, however you know the someonewhodied vs Frostbite bob MU quite well if that made any sense. What I'm trying to say is that you almost knew what he was going to do before he even did it... which is not necessarily a bad thing but you want to know the ins and outs of Rachel and how to counter her, not how to counter frostbite bobs Rachel.

Anyways on to more important things... your offensive capabilities seemed quite good, but your defence seemed quite weak. As for offence there were a few dropped combos but not really anything crazy. You know how to properly space your D moves and your C moves and you did optimal combos. The major thing that I wanted to point out is that you should try and zone Rachel a little more. This isn't a terribly difficult MU to play unless you so choose to play it poorly, which, in these videos, you didn't really play it all to well. Rachel doesn't want to spend her wind meter getting in, that severely hurts her, but she has to in order to get in or its a Lambda vs Ragna case in which its lol worthy. What I'm getting at is to not play into her hand, lead that match like your supposed to be. OH AND THIS IS IMPORTANT AND I'M BOLDING IT FOR A REASON... don't throw out random act parsers, once in awhile its ok because you might catch them sleeping, but damn it was like every 4th or 5th attack was some sort of act parser. Oh I forgot to mention your 236D Oki was kind of bad but that's quick fix, its not horrible, but it does need a little bit of work.

Now onto defence! It was... how to put it... poor. You also seemed kind of panicky on defence throughout the match, but when you were in control everything kind of came naturally for you. Now I know we all main Lambda here so defence might not be our greatest strength which I am well aware of, but we can't go and disregard it. Almost every combo Bob got on you started with a counter hit and that's just asking for a huge damaging combo and you in the corner. Oh and these were your three options of escape that I noticed, and quite frankly, none of them really involved blocking for a set period of time... Your options were 4B, 5C (occasionally 3C), and CA.Now 4B mashing is a realllllly bad habit to get into, I make fun of Pisces for doing it all the time, please don't be Pisces. 5C is just straight up not a good option, I mean really 5C is mainly used for combos and that's about it. 5C can be used in other areas but it really limits your options. CA is fine and all but your spending 50 heat on a "I might get out of the corner, I hope he doesn't read me" kind of situation. Just learn Rachel's moves , block strings, what she can and can't do and react accordingly, don't mash it out :P

This is a little story on how I got better at defence. I grinded out 25-30 Games against Leonil Requiem‎, and I got my ass handed to me. I asked him for advise after the games and he said learn to block. Most people would take this as an insult and move on but I took it to heart. I learned to block as my main focus, nothing else mattered to me at that point and for about 2-3 months I just practiced my defence. You wouldn't believe how much better you get as a player when you learn both sides of offence and defence.

Overall I thought you did really well, just the defence kind of messed you up through the match.

TL;DR - Offence good, defence bad, learn MU, blocking is nice.

Game 2: Kind of hard to critique due to the fact that to tore him limb from limb. Ummmm I guess there were a few random act parsers but I guess its ok because the Lambda mirror is fucking retarded. I guess that's really all there was to it because a Lambda mirror is the first to lock the other one first, and you did a good job shutting him down. The random act parsers can backfire on you super hard in the mirror MU. But yeah lol game 2:eng101:

Game 3: Okay this game made me sad and laugh at the same time. I laughed at how hard he spammed sledge, I cried at how you tried to punish it. 236B the answer to a spamming Tager?:vbang: NO!!! 5D > 236C his face if he sledge B's. Make him rue the day he ever did a random sledge vs you. I LOVE fighting bad Tager's online because that's all they do is spam sledge. Destroy his face and make him question how he plays that MU. I'm giving this its own paragraph because it is literally that important.

Now onto offence:yaaay:. Overall not half bad, you could brush up on your zoning and some of your options like a point blank 5D is questionable... but that's about it. 2D > 6D if he super jumps is really strong vs Tager and you can follow that up with a 236DC and spike chaser if you so choose just be careful of spark bolt. If he does a regular jump just 6D his face or a 6A if he tries to go for anything fancy. This should not be a hard MU at all... its literally a flow chart you just need to know what to do and when.

As for defence... it was lacking again. There was a time when he did the same, unsafe block strong for about 3 times in a row and you stood there in a panic with your barrier up. That is bad, Tager does not have much for block string, learn what he can and can't do and punish him for going for unsafe things like 6B and 6C. You also teched immediately in the air when he finished him combo, a stronger Tager would have caught onto this and punished you with tech traps and stupid stuff like that. You have to be very careful against Tager, because he might not have good block strings, and he might be bad character overall... but one wrong move and that could cost you the round.

TL;DR - 5D > 236C is godlike, zone him better, don't panic.

Game 4: Honestly this game was really sloppy. The first three games were fine in the sense that you didn't play poorly, you could just improve on things is all. But this game was rough. The whole match summarized was for both of you... I dropped my combo, I didn't block, I LIKE DP:yaaay:... :gonk:. That aside I want to point something out that might seem crazy, even to you. I think we can all agree that spike chaser is a pretty good move, even more so against Ragna. You did it 3 times that whole match... 3 times. I should be seeing that move 3 times a round let alone 3 times a match, and one of them was an accident, you intended to do TK crescent. I also counted 3 times where he did a block strong on you, ended it early for whatever reason, and your retaliation, your GTFO of my face move was... 5C. 5C? Really? I don't even want to go to the frame data to see how long of a start up that has id probably cry a little to myself. 5C and air 5C were the story of round 1, you got creamed in round 1 because you threw out some random ass attack that doesn't belong in that position.

Now onto things you did well in. I was going to count how many times he did inferno divider, and I know its a good attack, but seriously what the hell was he thinking? Thankfully you caught onto his foolishness and you won round 2 and 3 because of it. He was a super, hardcore rush down Ragna that gave 0 fucks in this match, so punish him for doing so. I saw when you went for a barrier block on him in one of the rounds and it still hit you, that made me sad because you had good intentions that were snatched away from you. Overall what you did good is that you were thinking! You saw his play style and you adapted to what he was doing and reacted accordingly! That in itself is a very good lesson and you clearly demonstrated here that you aren't some herp derp online player, you think and learn to what your opponent is doing and that is very important.

TL;DR - Kinda sloppy game play wise, but you adapted well and won because of it.

Anyways that's all for now, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask, I'll be more than happy to help you out on specific situations in the video.:)

So, to summarize what Mr. Crayon said: Don't mash 5C, don't mash, 5D > 236C gdlk, block. That's essentially all you need to know if you want to be successful as Lambda. Also, read up on some of the frame data for match-ups you aren't sure of, it helps you know what's safe and what isn't, and also prevents you from mashing out on moves that are plus on block. Lambda's normals are crappy so you should already assume you'll lose the mash out.

Against tager, ive found that the best combo is actually:

236B(CH)>66DD>236C>5CxN>214A>Gravity Combo>Ender

I just derped out and completely forgot why i was 236Bing lol.

You can get nearly 5K midscreen meterless with gravity from a 236B counter on tager.

But yeah, all i have going for me are combos and downloading my opponents lol. (And good players. All my blockstrings that I use are from good players like Yoshiki. I just take the simplest ones and use them.) I really need to learn to block, but I went from smash bros brawl to this game. Im used to tapping the trigger button to shield. I keep forgetting that barrier block adds +1 which makes it harder for me to get out.

Edit: WTF, Rachel is neutral or (-) on all normals, and only (+) on summons and DDs. Unfair D=

I really do need to counter assault out unless my opponent messes up.

Hey guys, I got blown up by a couple tagers today at ranbats and always have huge issues against him. I see a few things I fucked up myself, but the more eyes the better.

http://twitch.tv/arcadeufo/b/307679430

The first set is at ~27:30

The second is at ~1:19:30

But yeah, I need to not 5C as much (something I've been trying to break myself of since CS1...), not drop combos/fuck up inputs, but uh.. any advice? Thanks :x

One time the Tager did Sledge while you did 5DD, then you did 236D. If that ever happens, then I recommend 214A/214B (usually 214A in these cases) to limit his range, or you can RC and block. Try Counter Assaulting to throw him off sometimes.

You usually did a pretty good job of respecting Tager when he had Spark Bolt. Twice you did 214D~C and he could've reaction Sparked you. You got hit by Spark walking back and forth. Walking just back is fine, or even crouch blocking. IAD back got Sparked, I recommend super jumping or 6DD > super jumping in a situation where you're close and want to get away. Won't get stuffed by Spark, and you can air dash back in reaction to his Sledge or super jump.

You stayed too close to him sometimes, doing 214D or 236D at mid-range. Sometimes doing random Parsers, or after a blocked Drive, even doing a far X > 6C > 236B (doesn't combo, punishable). It's potentially a free 360 or punish. Keeping away should be the first priority against Tager. There's really no reason to do Sickle oki on Tager. Instead of just running up and doing 3C, do 2B > 6B instead. Safer, you don't have to waste Gravity, can lead to better meterless damage, etc. If you do end up doing a Dashing 3C up close, remember 236A can pass through when close enough

236236D is even worse now. I think it should only be used as a time-staller, or if you need to get your opponent blocking to clutch out the round. If you're going to air purple throw Tager, then air dash back when teched, or j.2DD > j.214D~C > air back dash.

Basically, you seemed very eager to get in on him (eg. IAD j.2C), which is perhaps the last thing you'd want to do against him. Play safer, lamer, and winning this match-up becomes much easier, and much more frustrating for the Tager. Pretty much 6DD > IAD back, 6DD > 214D/214D~C/236D/236D~C as long as he can't punish it. Even 214B/214C is useful occasionally.

You'll get the hang of it, I'm sure.

Basically, you seemed very eager to get in on him (eg. IAD j.2C), which is perhaps the last thing you'd want to do against him. Play safer, lamer, and winning this match-up becomes much easier, and much more frustrating for the Tager. Pretty much 6DD > IAD back, 6DD > 214D/214D~C/236D/236D~C as long as he can't punish it. Even 214B/214C is useful occasionally.

Just to add onto that, 2DD > 6DD > 236D/236D~C is really good against Tager as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I usually do j.2DD -> j.214D~C on purple throw setups, but I was just playing really bad and did j.DD instead :/

I'll work on staying farther away and not going for 236D oki on him. One thing I'm not sure about is, what do I do against sledge+followup? It seems to make him go forever. When I was messing around against Scottie (the first tager), I couldn't really figure out a reliable way to not get murdered by it.

Would you say 236236D is useless in general? I've been using it as a corner carry. ~Stuff->(while opponent is in air)6C->236236D -> 5C -> 236C -> 236D oki/normal corner shenanigans.

There are only two things I think one should be aware of against Tager's Sledge (+ Hammer). The first is that he can charge the B version, and the second is that the follow-up has a zillion active frames. Both aren't things you want to trade with... A well-timed 5D should beat out the Hammer, but you can Dash 2B or Dash 3C as well, although I'd personally do 5D.

I think the only reason to use 236236D is as I listed it above, or if you want Gravity-less burst-safe corner carry. Basically, it's an option, but only useful when your other ones have run out.

Hammer is projectile immune as well, isn't it? I thought he hammered through my spike chaser at one point, or am I wrong? I guess I've just been too slow with dash->3C/2B as I've ended up trading, or just flat out losing, to it.

Well, I might go to the arcade again this weekend, depending on if I feel like making the hour drive or not. If I do, I'm sure scottie will prolly be there, so I'll get some more matches in and try to apply the advice. Thanks again

Sledge's follow-up has projectile guard point for the first 19 frames. So you have a frame to stuff it with a projectile if you don't want to trade. It is far easier to just get some distance and CH 5D him in the active frames of it.

So much Rachel Hate in here lol jk. Crayon! When can we have those Epic Lambda v Rachel matches like we used to in the past. Stop playing League of

Lesbians

I'm to lazy to set up on capture card and sony vegas etc etc. to upload the games I trashed you in ;D

Yeah we will play more when extend comes out.

Any tips to improve? Cs2, thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yQu2xKSQAk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkqALb9nyiY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwnB2RpHFzY&feature=player_embedded

The first time i play vs rachel, but i was playing one hour and then he recorded the last three matchs

You really need to learn the spacing for 4B(2), which will make it a lot easier to land. You were also using 4B too much since they started expecting it. At that point, you should be using lows to make them scared of blocking high.

You did raw 5C mash too much. But the Rachel rarely blew you up for it so I guess you really didn't have much a reason not to do it.

Why didn't you burst in the second video? And how did you drop the non-crescent cancel D-spam combo? You need to be able to do that in your sleep perfectly everytime.

omg now i see that i forget burst in the second vid! i lost because of that lol. I need to forget mashing 5C and start with 2B 2A 6B 4B or 3C, do more 2B or far 3C instead of a lot of 4B (i feel confident with this, few characters punish me for do that, and sometimes on lows i score a CH, because of this i use it a lot, but i need to use it less), and the d-spam finished early were bad j.214DC attemps, i need to improve that combo, but i started to use it that day. Also space better the 5D, i get a lot of ch with wind...

Any other tips? universal or vs rachel tips, defensive tips...

Thanks for the advice toan, i haven't seen what u said!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HEcxX-w8F8&feature=channel_video_title ... for people having trouble with ragna... I'll post more Lambda in EX

Good video, please do more. (and more rounds too!)

Lambda Critique And Self-Improvement Thread

As name,

I think my problem is related to movement, but I couldn't point it out of how to improve, so if anybody could give me some tip, I ll be appreciated. ;)

http://youtu.be/KNJdzvv_YXU (vs Rachel 1)

http://youtu.be/PvY_u_N86Jw (vs Rachel 2)

http://youtu.be/iTF78pGXbYg (vs Lichi)

http://youtu.be/rx4_mTs06IM (vs Valkenhayn)

[i tries to choose opponents that skill in the same level as me so that you can point my problem easier)

Good video, please do more. (and more rounds too!)

Lambda Critique And Self-Improvement Thread

As name,

I think my problem is related to movement, but I couldn't point it out of how to improve, so if anybody could give me some tip, I ll be appreciated. ;)

http://youtu.be/KNJdzvv_YXU (vs Rachel 1)

http://youtu.be/PvY_u_N86Jw (vs Rachel 2)

http://youtu.be/iTF78pGXbYg (vs Lichi)

http://youtu.be/rx4_mTs06IM (vs Valkenhayn)

[i tries to choose opponents that skill in the same level as me so that you can point my problem easier)

i think you need to stop using 5C as starter, because it's slow and easy to punish if you whiff.

Also sometimes u forgot to use the calamity as ender when u have 50 heat and you can kill with it.

And your blockstring lack of 4B(2). If you learn the space of 4B(2) your mixup will get stronger.

I prefer to play more far from the opponent, but this is your gamestyle.

A couple things - work on your hit confirms, there was a couple CH3Cs that could have been converted for more damage. Additionally, work on CH 5D -> 236C combos, since in the first couple there was some whiffed cat chairs that you could have punished with a lot more then you did.

Stop using 5C->6C blockstrings, all it does is give them meter. sneak some 4Bs into it, some j.214D or j.214D~C->2B shenanigans, 2B and 2C (since you can JC it) are all good options.

Mix up after 5C

-I used to try 4B a lot, but hmmm... don't know why either it doesn't really work for me. Still not sure myself, but the distant sensitive, and combo after it that miss often. but yes, I think 6C look stupid when opponent isn't in the air too. I think I ll try 5C->3C instead. (unless I could master 4B, but dunno how, it never work well to me. "What is the tip for good 4B chance?")

Play range

-It is depend on match up too. Rachel, Lichi, Valkenhayn, all of them are good at jumping. If it is Ragna or Hakuman then I usually main range attack. (lately opponent know how to block my range attack, I need to improve it too) (reference older vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OuoY4uzSpQ (Hakuman) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2L0Z204JFw (Ragna) )

Hit confirm

-On the 50 heat calamity thing, I realized it on that time too, and also tried to use it. it just end up with cresent instead. I wouldn't worry much on some whoop, since the game has little freeze time to time, I want to learn more about game-play wise, and I m trying to reduce 5C... but it is just still work so well, good hit confirm, good stun ^^; (Probably those opponent are mid-range users which is why 5C hit often?)