shtkn

Dustloop wiki feedback thread

Thanks for the response shtkn.

I'll change it to the formula you provided and then update it later when you change it.

oh, don't worry about it too much. if it works then good enough i suppose. it will eventually be replaced with something that doesn't use escape characters anyway

That's for nearly every guilty gear page right now, actually. I just dumped the table format at the end of every page's skeleton, the only pages where it's not like that are the ones that have actually been worked on. People are welcome to fix it, I just haven't gotten the chance to.

Requesting editing permissions. I am tired of not being able to fix typos and grammatical errors. @_@

Hey, just wanted to say that there's a problem with Tsubaki's character hitbox pics for each move in the frame data section of the wiki, I keep getting a 404 Not Found error.

we don't have extend hitboxes yet. i know some pages just point towards the cs2 hitboxes for hte time being.

edit: they're up

Hope this isn't a necro...

Jin's j.D is missing any kind of description and hitbox.

Noted, thanks for the heads up.

Oh, it doesn't count as necro. In that case...

Arakune: j.6A/B/C is labeled on both j.6A and j.6B picture and data. I also think j.6C itself is missing (if it is any different).

Carl: The picture of 5C is the same as the picture of 5A (the hitbox is still correct though), 6C, all of Carl's specials, distortions and astrals lack any kind of description.

Litchi: I think it should mention how to decide on whether The Four Winds (41236D[e]) go Vertical or Horizontal (unless you can't choose and if so, I apologise).

Mu: Her 4D, 6D, j.5D, j.2D, j.4D, j.6D, Tsunugui - Origins (623C or j.623C) and Furu no Tsurugi - Sword of Decimation (63214C) all lack any kind of picture and all her throws, Ame no Habakiri (214D), all her distortions and astrals lack description.

descriptions aren't required. we just lack some images of things since they're 3d models or sprites that we cannot easily rip. in those cases, we should get a high quality screenshot to work with, but that requires special equipment not everyone has access to.

descriptions aren't required. we just lack some images of things since they're 3d modes or not sprites that we can easily rip. in those cases, we should get a high quality screenshot to work with, but that requires special equipment not everyone has access to.
Oh right. Getting clean sreenshots of the sprites are a lot harder than I thought.

Still wondering how to make the The Four Winds go vertical all the time... Better search up the Litchi section more.

So, in spite of my inspiration on helping out with Frame Data. I would love to request editing permission so I can add my first instance of such to the Yukiko Amagi wiki page as part of my contribution to the Persona 4 Arena portion of Dustloop. :)

The Dustloop wiki is now open access, you're free to register an account for yourself. :)

to be more accurate:

to edit hte wiki, you don't need an account, just need to answer a captcha when you make an edit.

you can not add images and other files (or make new pages iirc) without an account

Alright, I began to edit the wiki just today as an unregistered user.

Circuitous and shtkn, thanks for clearing this up. I was confused if I still need a wiki account for registration, but I'm fine with editing as a guest. :)

Edited by MikelAL93

Double post to mention a problem with the wiki on P4U/P4A frame data:

Example - SMP is added with "cancel" tag, while "p1" tag is oddingly assigned Cancel, "p2" tag adds to P1, and "smp" adds to P2. Does anyone know why this problem happens?

Shtkn is in the process of adding in P1/P2/SMP. It'll be fixed soon.

Update: All fixed.

Edited by Kurushii

Alright, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for notifying me on that Kuru.

It works well now too, I'm glad I noticed that error beforehand.

Can I get a wiki account or whatever? I know I can edit anonymously, but I'd rather do it with my sn attached so people can come to me with complaints and stuff. Sorry about being such a hassle lately shtkn. Haven't been active in a while and now I'm trying to get used to a bunch of new stuff.

Right, so, shtkn was asking for feedback on the wiki! considering I wrote a good chunk of the kanji wiki and have done a little work over at mizuumi on various things as well I thought I might be able to weigh in a little.

just as a warning, I'm writing this at like 9am an hour after waking up, all giddy and excited to try and help! especially after reading over it again i'm pretty sure it's long, rambly and could be WAY MORE CONCISE but here you go. if you want the quick version there's a tl;dr at the bottom you can read instead, and read all of 'how things should be improved b' for sure!

Informal survey: Do ppl use the @DustloopForums wiki? What do you like and dislike? What sections do you use? What should be done better?

Do/Should/ETC people use the wiki? I think a lot of how the wiki is being used/not used is tied together with how it interacts with the forums.

I'm one of those types that tries to use information to his advantage as much as he can, so not only do I read the wiki and forum combined, I try to update the wiki as much as I can to help others and help sort my own thoughts and words out (which can lead to strategies in itself). And while that's fine for me, I know for a fact some people that I play and discuss with don't particularly check the wiki at all (outside of say, frame data), despite the fact they know I update it with everything I find. For people who are continually trying to improve themselves, and already have a solid grasp on a lot of what x character does, I'm assuming the wiki is a bit problematic to use-while the updates are easy to find if one uses the history tool, obviously it isn't as intuitive or convenient as seeing someone posted something new in the match up forums or stumbled upon something fancy about a character's 236a and posted about it in the general discussion thread. So, that makes sense for someone who's already established and ongoing. AS A RESULT... I'm assuming that the best use of a Wiki is going to go towards people who:

1. Need solid, confirmed information for their character to confirm things with. Frame data, move properties (airborne or not), whether it can be canceled, system mechanics, that sort of thing for sure. At least for Persona 4 Arena, and from what I've glossed over, Guilty gear, I'm 100% sure the wiki is providing well there. God knows, I learned something as of just last week about gold bursts and hops from reading around on there.

2. Are just starting out with the character and have no idea where to start, or need help making their decision of who to play. (I'M ASSUMING.)

While browsing through the forums and checking for new posts to pick up smidgens of information for your character is wonderful when you're previously established (as mentioned earlier), if you're brand new to the game/character, you're basically going to have to go through the entire thread to catch up on everything, and that's definitely time consuming. And while the idea of a constantly updated opening post to each character's various areas (combos general theory etc) is always a wonderful idea on paper, I've seen way more 'opening posts that will be edited with more info' that never get updated than ones that do.

What I'm getting at is, honestly, the wiki and the forums seem to go hand in hand in a lot of ways-Especially for general strategy and optimal, tried and true combos, the wiki is basically the modern, more effective version of the 'opening post that the mod is suppose to edit stuff into'. For example, over on the Kanji forums, our combo thread is a complete mess. While it has optimal combos in it, and some of them are labeled somewhat effectively... there's a -lot- of crap there, both in the sense of 'lots of stuff' and 'lots of bad combos.' For the longest time I wondered why in the hell the combo thread hadn't been cleaned up and reorganized yet, but when I finally asked Axis if he would let me reorganize it for him, he pointed out that it didn't really need to have all the 'crap' combos cut out, since the wiki's combo list basically already did that, so the thread was being more used as a giant repository of different combo paths and options for people to see/optimize/revise. OH MAN THAT'S KIND OF SMART.

Using the wiki for this sort of thing over 'opening posts' is good for a few reasons, like the fact the mod themselves don't have to do the editing work, multiple people can work on it (which ensures actual updates IN THEORY), and... well, yeah. It's one nice, organized page with chapters and whatnot!

There's totally some problems with that idea though, like people who don't understand the game as well as they think (LIKE ME A LOT) putting erroneous information on there, misleading said beginning players... well, you know, the same problem you always get when anyone can submit information for an official looking page without having credentials, but that'll always happen to some extent. There's also the problem of 'People WITH said credentials not wanting to actually do the work on the wiki for a plethora of reasons (shoutouts to catching SKD once saying something or other about wanting to post solid narukami information (particularly combos) and not having a good place to put it right after/before discussing the narukami wiki ww) which makes it... well, about equally as problematic as the 'editing the first post' strategy, probably.

(good examples: elizabeth wiki is FANTASTIC for finding information about each of her moves and hidden mechanics and whatnot good lord. BAD EXAMPLES: I have no idea if anyone can actually traverse the yu narukami wiki combo page without dying horribly, some characters' moves still have mechanics and attributes listed on them from earlier arcade revisions or erroneous information on them, like kanji having super armor on his 236b was on the wiki for several months... etc etc.)

problems! likes and dislikes! random stuff I'm putting at the end!

1. how should the wiki interact with matchup forums/information?

I wanted to do a matchups write up on the wiki at one point, but circuitous pointed out we have the matchups forum for that, and... I genuinely do not know how the interaction between the two should be handled, ideally or realistically. anyone who browses wikis a lot knows that the big matchup writeups are the things that NEVER get filled out, too :\

2. How should things be improved!

a. unfortunately a lot of it is a mystery to me! most of the most obvious solutions like having a mod who plays the character read over it doesn't work on opening posts, so doesn't work out here.

b. Putting clear enforceable guidelines as to what should or should not be posted is essential! People are not actually going to read said guidelines most likely, but for the people who have credentials, are well informed and want to keep the wiki clean, efficient and well organized, when it comes to the time of 'Hey you put a lot of hard work into this and I hate to do this to you but a large chunk of this should not be on here", they can point to it and explain "The wiki is for specific information, the rest of it goes onto the forum for x and x reason, check the guidelines!" and not feel guilt tripped :C

As much as I was teasing him earlier, SKD is a good example here-dude's got the credentials twice over now for p4a editing but with all the hard work whoever has put into the narukami wiki and the fact the information on there is USEFUL, just not the right KIND... it's hard for him to go in and 'wreck the guy's hard work' to make it better for everyone. (I totally discussed it with him as I was writing this up, he'll totes back me up)

Hand in hand with that would be consistent formatting style guidelines as well-the liz wiki is a seriously great example of how just about everything should be organized imo. clean, efficient, info a lot of people won't know both new and old, important info bolded.

tl;dr the wiki seems to be doing it's job as the 'reputable, solid information source that goes hand in hand with the continually updated forum!' but that is on a case by case basis of characters with people who care/who care and know what should/should not be posted on the wiki, etc. Frame data, cancelability and etc is valuable information that is on the wiki that will always be useful and is one of the biggest draws, so it's good there. sections like general gameplan and whatnot are likely only to be read by beginners but that should be fine! In terms of improving, we need firm guidelines, that way while there will be wiki nazi-ing with what can/cannot be on there it'll help people add information or reformat things when it's unhelpful without worrying about whether they're 'right' or 'wrong'!

okay this was too rambly hopefully i said what i needed bye kids!

About BBCP Characters Wiki :

When you let your mouse on the term Cancel of a move data, you can see a tooltip providing informations about how each letter corresponds each type of cancel. However, if you let your mouse on the actual cancel cell data, under the previous "Cancel Term Cell" of the move, where the cancels are written, you can see another tooltip that doesn't provide the same informations about each letter / each type of cancels -actually, it just miss one type of cancel. There's D for Distortion Drive on the second Tooltip, whereas there is nothing like that on the first, only S and Dr for Special and distortion / Drive and Distortion. I don't know what's the good version to use, but I'm guessing the 2nd. The first one should probably be updated as I don't think many people will see that there is a second tooltip, and therefore won't understand what "D" means.

EDIT : Oh, and something else even though I'm sure it's me being stupid but who knows :v:. When you edit a move data, you can see a data for smp (smp =''), but it's not visible in the view page of the wiki.

Edited by Kitsue

i've fixed the cancel tooltip discrepancy.

also, many of the moves have hidden frame data in the character pages because we copied most of it over from the frame data pages, but decided to not show ALL the frame data to make it not look as crowded.

my apologies for the late reply