Sign in to follow this  
RisingStars

[AC] May Tactical Discussion/Questions/Help

You hold down and/or back during the moves that lead into the dolphin, that way they're charged at the end of the string when you want to dolphin. As for control issues, are you using a stick or a pad? And you might want to learn to FRC... yeeeeah... And oh yeah... May sucks really bad in regular XX. Do yourself a favor and get an import copy of Reload and Magic Swap.

You hold down and/or back during the moves that lead into the dolphin, that way they're charged at the end of the string when you want to dolphin. As for control issues, are you using a stick or a pad? And you might want to learn to FRC... yeeeeah... And oh yeah... May sucks really bad in regular XX. Do yourself a favor and get an import copy of Reload and Magic Swap.

Okay okay, a little newbie 101 here: Basic gatling series follows the pattern P, K, S, H, D. You need to get muscle memory of for finger just working up his series, although it is unlikley that you'll ever get all of those hits off in one combo especially D. Also, you can press down during the series to sometimes make the attack hit low (Hit depends on whcih attack button, some hit low, some don't), so we have a theoretical longest gatling of: P 2P K 2K c.S 2S f.S H 2H 2D just about every normal move gatling is made of this series, drop out any moves you like and the attacks with still chain, so long as the order of them remains, so P can be chained into anything, H only chains into 2D and 2H and you can't chain K after a S and so on. This looks complicated at first, but generally spamming the attack buttons vaguley in that series will give you something. This is even more important than learning the movelist. When you've got the hang of that, learn to hold down back during your comboes (Assuming you're still May here), then when you've just knocked your opponent out of reach press 6H and you'll gatling your last hit into a Mr. Dolphin. At the level of play you describe, I really wouldn't worry about FRCs just yet. You can easily block most overdrives that your opponent usus outside of comboes, it comes of not randomly spamming buttons trying to pull a move off at a distance such that you are able to block when your opponent uses the overdrive.

Okay okay, a little newbie 101 here: Basic gatling series follows the pattern P, K, S, H, D. You need to get muscle memory of for finger just working up his series, although it is unlikley that you'll ever get all of those hits off in one combo especially D. Also, you can press down during the series to sometimes make the attack hit low (Hit depends on whcih attack button, some hit low, some don't), so we have a theoretical longest gatling of: P 2P K 2K c.S 2S f.S H 2H 2D just about every normal move gatling is made of this series, drop out any moves you like and the attacks with still chain, so long as the order of them remains, so P can be chained into anything, H only chains into 2D and 2H and you can't chain K after a S and so on. This looks complicated at first, but generally spamming the attack buttons vaguley in that series will give you something. This is even more important than learning the movelist. When you've got the hang of that, learn to hold down back during your comboes (Assuming you're still May here), then when you've just knocked your opponent out of reach press 6H and you'll gatling your last hit into a Mr. Dolphin. At the level of play you describe, I really wouldn't worry about FRCs just yet. You can easily block most overdrives that your opponent usus outside of comboes, it comes of not randomly spamming buttons trying to pull a move off at a distance such that you are able to block when your opponent uses the overdrive.

God dang.... That May's combos thread sure ain't n00b-friendly. What's a JI? How's it done? And in his first combo, it's K sweep (I'm assuming sweep is down and dust) and then hor dolphin........ Where the **** do you get a hor dolphin if the sweep makes you hold DOWN? I've seen no other May combo listings so I need to understand this stuff. :x

JI = jump install this is described in great depth in the general thread. If you hold down back you hold down back it counts as charging both a horazontal and vertical dolphin... this technique has been in fighting games since street fighter 2... maybe earlier

God dang.... That May's combos thread sure ain't n00b-friendly. What's a JI? How's it done? And in his first combo, it's K sweep (I'm assuming sweep is down and dust) and then hor dolphin........ Where the **** do you get a hor dolphin if the sweep makes you hold DOWN? I've seen no other May combo listings so I need to understand this stuff. :x

JI = jump install this is described in great depth in the general thread. If you hold down back you hold down back it counts as charging both a horazontal and vertical dolphin... this technique has been in fighting games since street fighter 2... maybe earlier

Just use the basic gatling series, the second 2H on that combo will do very little damage since it will be hitting a floored opponent. If you must do that, try 2H 2D 236236S and you might be able to get one or two hits as they rebound off the wall. On the subject of FRCs. May only has 2 FRC points, however, in training mode I found them to be actually quite easy to pull off. To use them, press any three buttons (excluding dust) when you have at least 25% tension at these times: Just after the hit sound of a Mr. Dolphin ([4]6 H/S or [2]8 H/S) hitting your opponent (Blocked or hit, but not a whiff). You have a really nice six frame window on this one. During the dolphin Summon (41236 P/K/S/H ) when May is in the middle of raising her hand up. You only have a two frame window on this one, much harder. Look in the gameplay FAQ for more details. These particular FRCs are there to cut short recovery times on moves, making them harder to punish and also allowing an easier meaty with the dolphin summon. Also, both allow you to pressure your opponent much more easily.

Just use the basic gatling series, the second 2H on that combo will do very little damage since it will be hitting a floored opponent. If you must do that, try 2H 2D 236236S and you might be able to get one or two hits as they rebound off the wall. On the subject of FRCs. May only has 2 FRC points, however, in training mode I found them to be actually quite easy to pull off. To use them, press any three buttons (excluding dust) when you have at least 25% tension at these times: Just after the hit sound of a Mr. Dolphin ([4]6 H/S or [2]8 H/S) hitting your opponent (Blocked or hit, but not a whiff). You have a really nice six frame window on this one. During the dolphin Summon (41236 P/K/S/H ) when May is in the middle of raising her hand up. You only have a two frame window on this one, much harder. Look in the gameplay FAQ for more details. These particular FRCs are there to cut short recovery times on moves, making them harder to punish and also allowing an easier meaty with the dolphin summon. Also, both allow you to pressure your opponent much more easily.

HOW ABOUT THIS:

Can anyone give me some relatively simple, yet effective, May combos? Like this one I just found, when my friend is dodging on the ground, I can drop from above with Down HS to hit him over his guard, then immediately flip into Down HS Down HS and hit him (if there's a better version of that, let me know). Something without FRCs and RCs preferrably, but I guess it can't hurt to learn them too. :/

note [] means you need to hold that direction

(in air) 2H, (land) [2]k,d,8h

8h should make you do a vertical dolphin, from there you can frc it (press three attack buttons excluding d at the same time just before the dolphin is about to hit the other guy, you have a 1/10 of a second window to do this...) after the frc you can falling h, land, iad k,h, land jump back up, k,d,jc,h,d

if you are on the ground

k,s,2d,8h

like the above combo if you frc the dolphin you can continue the combo with an iad

HOW ABOUT THIS:

Can anyone give me some relatively simple, yet effective, May combos? Like this one I just found, when my friend is dodging on the ground, I can drop from above with Down HS to hit him over his guard, then immediately flip into Down HS Down HS and hit him (if there's a better version of that, let me know). Something without FRCs and RCs preferrably, but I guess it can't hurt to learn them too. :/

note [] means you need to hold that direction

(in air) 2H, (land) [2]k,d,8h

8h should make you do a vertical dolphin, from there you can frc it (press three attack buttons excluding d at the same time just before the dolphin is about to hit the other guy, you have a 1/10 of a second window to do this...) after the frc you can falling h, land, iad k,h, land jump back up, k,d,jc,h,d

if you are on the ground

k,s,2d,8h

like the above combo if you frc the dolphin you can continue the combo with an iad

bahk.. for ultimate may damage at your point, as long as you hit them with a crouchind dust go into her half circle back slash super... when / if you get to the corner s hs vertical dolphin. while it doesnt require anything it is pretty heavily effective. off her command grab, you can do 669 k hs dust, dj hs dust. you might have to change it to s,hs land k dust hs dust depending onte character. if you really wanna improve tell us how your friend is playing and im sure we can give you input on how to deal with it. btw, mays prettttty low on the damage dealing scale in guilty gear xx. in reload its way up there.

bahk.. for ultimate may damage at your point, as long as you hit them with a crouchind dust go into her half circle back slash super... when / if you get to the corner s hs vertical dolphin. while it doesnt require anything it is pretty heavily effective. off her command grab, you can do 669 k hs dust, dj hs dust. you might have to change it to s,hs land k dust hs dust depending onte character. if you really wanna improve tell us how your friend is playing and im sure we can give you input on how to deal with it. btw, mays prettttty low on the damage dealing scale in guilty gear xx. in reload its way up there.

I would reccomend blocking low against Chip. With some practice you should be able to block all of his overheads on reaction. If you manage to block a sweep, sweep him back then do pulsr's combo if you have the tension. If not sweep him then do a vertical dolphin, this will ground him, so you can do wake up games or you can do an iad combo. iad is air dashing really low to the ground. You do it by pressing 96 really fast. Pressing 9 counts as both 8 and 6, so you are basically buffering the 6 from the 9 into another 6, which results in an air dash (if that makes any sense). When you jump install you should be doing the move on the ground. For example 6P,s(ji),h,vertical dolphin bla bla bla If done correctly the combo will look like you didn't do anything, that is to say the p,s, and h are all on the ground. Actually the only way to tell you did it correctly is after you do the dolphin you will be able to air dash or jump, which you wouldn't be able to do otherwise. I and most people use a joystick, personally I use the hori tekken 5 stick, good quality and the price is right. If you are using a controller I would reccomend using the ps2's dpad. Some of the motions required in this game are just too precise for the analog (in my opinion). If you are playing the xbox version get a magic box so you can use a ps2 controller/joystick.

I would reccomend blocking low against Chip. With some practice you should be able to block all of his overheads on reaction. If you manage to block a sweep, sweep him back then do pulsr's combo if you have the tension. If not sweep him then do a vertical dolphin, this will ground him, so you can do wake up games or you can do an iad combo. iad is air dashing really low to the ground. You do it by pressing 96 really fast. Pressing 9 counts as both 8 and 6, so you are basically buffering the 6 from the 9 into another 6, which results in an air dash (if that makes any sense). When you jump install you should be doing the move on the ground. For example 6P,s(ji),h,vertical dolphin bla bla bla If done correctly the combo will look like you didn't do anything, that is to say the p,s, and h are all on the ground. Actually the only way to tell you did it correctly is after you do the dolphin you will be able to air dash or jump, which you wouldn't be able to do otherwise. I and most people use a joystick, personally I use the hori tekken 5 stick, good quality and the price is right. If you are using a controller I would reccomend using the ps2's dpad. Some of the motions required in this game are just too precise for the analog (in my opinion). If you are playing the xbox version get a magic box so you can use a ps2 controller/joystick.

The hori real arcade pro, and real arcade pro 2. They are the same basic joystick as the tekken stick, except they have better quality parts. The only thing is the tekken stick is $50, the real arcade pro is about $150, I'm not sure how much the hrap2 but it is more than hrap. Oh and both of them have a reflective top, no tekken art.

The hori real arcade pro, and real arcade pro 2. They are the same basic joystick as the tekken stick, except they have better quality parts. The only thing is the tekken stick is $50, the real arcade pro is about $150, I'm not sure how much the hrap2 but it is more than hrap. Oh and both of them have a reflective top, no tekken art.

They joysticks are so expensive because they have swana arcade parts and they have to be imported from japan. may upper, and purple 8 were the two best sites for may combos and matches respectivly. I don't remember the exact address for either and I'm at work so I can't find them, but you should be able to find both with a little googling.

They joysticks are so expensive because they have swana arcade parts and they have to be imported from japan. may upper, and purple 8 were the two best sites for may combos and matches respectivly. I don't remember the exact address for either and I'm at work so I can't find them, but you should be able to find both with a little googling.

when fighting chipp, holding FD is a decent option. (4 + 2 buttons), the problem is if he is using 236 s to gain lost distance kind of makes it not really worth it. you dont have much to really worry about chipp. it sounds like hes just running at you. if you see him IAD EVER 6p.... i dont think he will Dj after his iad, if he does then use your hoops with P to deal with IAD. uhhh in all honisty may vs chipp is pretty easy... when you see him try to run at you hit kick, if you see him in the air hit him with 6p. may can strip away chipp of his options pretty quickly

when fighting chipp, holding FD is a decent option. (4 + 2 buttons), the problem is if he is using 236 s to gain lost distance kind of makes it not really worth it. you dont have much to really worry about chipp. it sounds like hes just running at you. if you see him IAD EVER 6p.... i dont think he will Dj after his iad, if he does then use your hoops with P to deal with IAD. uhhh in all honisty may vs chipp is pretty easy... when you see him try to run at you hit kick, if you see him in the air hit him with 6p. may can strip away chipp of his options pretty quickly

Sign in to follow this