Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abyss

[CSE] Arakune vs Valkenhayn

Skye edit

Things to look out for:

Neutral

Wolf anything - Keep your eyes open when Wolf is out, if you see him feeling himself, 5c him, good for tagging him in pressure, and this is a rare moment where 5c's absurd speed works in his favor, coming into play after the anti air baits are done. 2b works as well out of pressure, but time it right.

6c - can cancel into wolf for mix up or on hit can give him full screen oki.

Your Oki

Work with a standard 5a/2a strings, go for meaty because he has 6a which guard points at frame 5, not much you can do about tech rolls though, return to neutral and get back to cat and mouse.

As always punish late tech attempts with 5d.

His Oki

None too scary, although intimidating at first, pay attention if he's in wolf or not.

Human oki is okay, more than likely setting up for wolf mix up or a 6c in the corner.

Wolf oki is more pressing, he has instant overheads, a fast low and a command grab that can be picked up in the corner. No real way around this, two primary options here, roll the dice and pray you don't get command grabbed, or gold burst/super if you have meter.

Misc. Tips

Don't try too hard to zone him, it will backfire, the brunt of this match up is footsies, frankly, it's a momentum based match up, just make sure you curse him point blank, dealing with wolf movements if a pain.

There isn't (or am I blind?) any thread about extend match-up, so I begin with this one.

To throw the discuss, I ask about one thing that really bother me about his wolf form:

When he's pressing with Low > Overhead, is there another option than barrier and jump out of it? (when you can...).

My issue here is that I can't do 5A between his low > overhead, and IBing isn't very easy since he will change his mix-up sometimes. If I backdash, i get caught by his overhead (since he can continue to "airdash"), and as I said 5A isn't very reliable.

Still it's just to know better Valkenhayn, I still find a gap or get out with barrier, but using other option will be welcome also.

I was thinking about trying to forwarddash, but I'm not sure. You're opinion?

you can do 5A in w.A C A string(11F gap), w.B C A only on ib(gawd i hate this, i can't react which he used before going fly). In second case it hits on 4th frame without ib, you can try 5C into his overheads though i don't know how does it works(makotos 6A with 4-10F invul beats it but 6A is twice faster than arakunes 5C). I think either ib 5A, either block, either 236236C. After playing with Valk i'm very sad(

Valk is a momentum based match up, if Valk tries to come in, you have backdash to get out. You have 5c for Wolf overheads, and yes, you can mash out.

Just don't get hit, again, it's a momentum based match up. There isn't too much to it.

Valk is a momentum based match up, if Valk tries to come in, you have backdash to get out. You have 5c for Wolf overheads, and yes, you can mash out.

Just don't get hit, again, it's a momentum based match up. There isn't too much to it.

i feel something wrong with this. Backdashing valk is like "please kill me", since arakunes backdash is super slow. Free 5C or wolf pressure if he was in human form, and combo in wolf form.

5C is dangerous, since he can bait it with 5C 7C or go into low. BTW does it hits j.A recovery, or he can backdash 7C?

If Valk is baiting, he has to time it correctly, because 5c is slow, his 7c will draw back and rush forward just in time for the active frames to take hold. Backdash, though always risky when predicted, is useful for Wolf pressure, especially his command throw. Human Valk has no pressure without meter. His 6c is too slow not to react to easily, so you can block low the whole time, only with meter is he scary because of rising j.c > RC j.c. If Valk wants to put any kind of pressure on Arakune, he needs to be in wolf form, but of course the irony is that's where he's most vulnerable to Arakune's defensive options.

I'm just speaking from my experience.

We had 2 Valks in the MI scene, the better one quit for Relius, and the other is still wet around the ears, but the applications of their pressure is the same.