Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[CSE] Platinum vs. Ragna

I'd figure I will help out with the Platinum section by making match-up threads for CS:EX.

Discuss this match-up here.

keep ragna out by spacing 5B and 2B appropriately...make him wary of coming in on you without thinking. don't be afraid to block, either, and as with every matchup be patient when looking for an opening in pressure.

Whenever you pressure Ragna make sure you keep it safe as well, he has one of the strongest defensive games in the cast, so you can't go crazy on him like you can on someone like Lambda or Tsubaki. Use lots of frame traps and safe, repeatable pressure whenever your on offense, and if you're going for mixups, make sure they've been trained to respect it.

Like the others have said, you have to be patient, look for openings and learn how to use your pokes correctly, as they are vital to this matchup.

Do not try to frame trap Ragna because if he is mashing anything it will be inferno divider and that is frame 1.

Stay out of 5B range any chance you can get and IB barrier if he is going for a blockstring.

Plat 5B is actually much better to use than before but will still get stuffed by Ragna's 5B.

J.C is still incredible against Ragna.

Like Uri says don't go crazy play smart.

the best solution against ragna is to respect his offensive game; there's not much you can actually do against his approach, and if anything the best option you can fall back on is blocking.

what's good about doing that is that correctly blocking and IB ragna's blockstrings will hinder his ability to pressure further the more he tries it. knowing when to disrespect ragna's blockstrings does still take some knowledge on how they work, but there are a few easy outs with it.

i can probably give an example showcasing this. let's say ragna uses 2C to end a blockstring, which puts him at +1 on regular block, -2 on IB. even on regular block, if ragna decides to end a blockstring with 2C, then the worst that can happen after that would be a trade with ragna's 2A (by using your own 5A). on IB this is even better, since you're guaranteed at best switching ragna to defense.

as for 5B, there's really not much you can do about it. i have seen plat's 2B trade with ragna's 5B on certain occasions, so i wouldn't bet on that being the absolute solution to it (plus it's slightly dangerous on whiff). you'll have to respect the move and wait for the ragna player to use something that's worth disrespecting, such as dead spike.

i know i'm not covering all the aspects of the matchup but i'm drawing blanks on what i should talk about next. :v:

I have no clue what to do against this disgusting eyesore of a character. It seems like no matter what kind of idea I try it can be easily countered on his end.

It almost feels like he can just press buttons and get results while I just sit there and take it. I'm beginning to lose hope here.

Starlight, since I've played you before, not trying to be rude, I can say that you play very recklessly sometimes, not always, but sometimes. You need to be more patient against Ragna, look for holes to escape, and poke as much as possible with 5B, 2B and well spaced j.C. Cat Hammer mixups, Missiles and the Bat are the primary items in this match, if you've got them, it can easily be turned around.

Learn safe oki as well, Mami > Backdash > Bubble > Block > 2B/5C is good. If he mashes, you'll block it or the bubble will catch him. In this setup, he also has to late tech in order to DP without getting caught by the bubble. Now, you could do this same oki without the backdash, however, that puts you right next to him again. So you can make a choice of poking and bating, or getting a little more risky up close. A key point is learning how to bait Ragna, and throw in safe repeatable pressure strings, and to not jump around and throw out random 5B and 2B's fishing for counter hits. Ragna DOES have better normals then Platinum, simple as that, so you can't treat him like someone such as Jin, who has similar defensive and approach options, but isn't as fast or as long ranged.

If you have trouble blocking Ragna, go into training mode, and fill in each slot with a different mixup option, and then set the playback to random, and then you can practice blocking his strings, IBing his strings, hitting him out of unsafe attacks, reacting to overheads/lows and escaping by jumping out.

Pressure strings I suggest are:

2A > 5B > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 2D

2A > 5B > 3C

2A > 5B > 3C > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 3C > 2D

2A > 5B > 5C > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 5C > 2D

2A > 5B > 5C > 3C

2A > 5B > 5C > 3C > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 5C > 3C > 2D

2A > 5B > 5C > 2C > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 5C > 2C > 2D

2A > 5B > 5C > 2C > 6C(1) > Dash Block/5A/2A/DP

2A > 5B > 2C > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 2C > 2D

2A > 5B > 2C > 3C

2A > 5B > 2C > 3C > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 2C > 3C > 2D

2A > 5B > 2C > 6C(1) > Dash Block/5A/2A/DP

2A > 5B > 2B > 3C

2A > 5B > 2B > 3C > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 2B > 3C > 2D

2A > 5B > 2B > 6B

2A > 5B > 2B > 6B > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 2B > 6B > 2D

2A > 5B > 2B > 6B > 5C > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 2B > 6B > 5C > 2D

2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 2D

2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 3C

2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 3C > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 3C > 2D

2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 2C > Gauntlet Hades

2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 2C > 2D

2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 2C > 6C(1) > Dash Block/5A/2A/DP

You can add/take away hits from all of these (Like removing all of the 5B's) so you can get a feel for all of his different pressure strings and gatling/special cancel options. You can also remove 2D/Gauntlet Hades and replace it with the first hit of Hell's Fang, then cancel that into DP on block, or rapid it and continue pressure, the same can be done for Gauntlet Hades too. So spend a lot of time practicing with these.

I've been playing against my friend's Ragna a lot since I bought the game, and that list is just what I needed. Thanks, Uri.

Speaking of which, what are Plat's safest options after getting knocked down? Simply block?

I've been playing against my friend's Ragna a lot since I bought the game, and that list is just what I needed. Thanks, Uri.

Speaking of which, what are Plat's safest options after getting knocked down? Simply block?

Blocking is the safest option for anyone after being knocked down. However, there are different wakeup options depending on how your opponent plays. For instance, if you have the meter and are playing against someone who always runs across the screen after Hell's Fang, then you can wakeup Heart Car Rapid or wakeup Cure Dot Typhoon, but those can be baited and punished. Bat is good as a wakeup DP, however, that's unsafe as well. Sometimes, if you're quick enough, or your opponent is at a safe distance, you can super jump out after a tech. But I would say that you should just block, and Counter Assault when you can to get out of pressure.

The problem that most Platinums have with this matchup is that they let Ragna do whatever he wants to them. You have to not let him get in. Use Dream Sally, Bombs, Missiles, and Mystic Momo to prevent him from doing this, and if you're afraid to get ID out of your pressure, then stop being predictable and use Jump Cancel-able staggers. If Dead Spike pressure is getting to you, react to it with either Air Persia (It's projectile Invincible at the 8F of it's start-up) + A,B or C it'll be fatal counter, or Mami Circular him if he's spacing it incorrectly. Use 2B and 6A wisely if he's just IADing at you and using j.C. 2B also low-profiles Gauntlet Hades, so that's pretty useful too since his recovery off of it is rather bad. Cross-Under Dash 2A is extremely useful against Wake-Up ID or Blood Kain since it screws up their inputs. Other than that...Have good defense, be very patient, do not press buttons against Ragna on offense. If you do, you will DAI.

On oki, something you can do would be to throw a bubble (To make them late tech.), then do 2A twice and downback. if he tries any - thing quick (5A, 2A, 5B, 2B.), he gets punished, any - thing slow (5C, 2C), you'll block, and if he DP's, that's going to be also blocked and punished. It's improbable that they'll use 6B/ GH on wake - up, but if they do it's easily reactable. Of course, it's probably better to just back - dash and 5B/ 2B, but it may be useful, and doing the same set - up all the time obviously gets predictable.

Edit: Also, while it's probably best to react to Dead Spike any - way (Air Persia.), if you do block it and he decides to jump back within preperation, you can run up > 6A. If he air - dashes, you'll run under, and he'll lose pretty much all of his offensive momentum. If he decides to do a move after the jump, he'll get countered. If he blocks it, you get to pressure. If he does a straight jump, then attacks, you can block (Not the best option, but it's better than getting hit.), and if he forward jumps, then attacks, you still block, but, again, he loses a lot of his offensive momentum, albeit with the immediate opportunity to gain more.

Also, air Persia can actually go over corner pressure other than dead spike, but it's risky enough that it's unadvisable.