Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaiAndOh

[CSE] Bang vs. Ragna

Oh Ragna... I dont know how to play this match up well enough, he's so good at what he does.

At start, I find his jumping straight up to be a safe option and all I can do is land a small air combo off j.B as best case scenario. I want to say rush him, dash 5b. He doesnt have heat yet, wont corner push, and has maybe a hells fang ender for you. Low risk as oppose to IAD back nail(s) for no risk.

Neutral game, our 5B is good again so footsies is a decent option vs. his 5B. He wants jC or 5B but you can stop both with good spacing... j.C is stupid though. I got nothing else. IAD a nail to get in or b nail bumpers.

Ragna offense is tricky when he pressures to a whiff 2C since it has little recovery. They'll throw this and then dash back in with a 2/5B. Stuff it if you read it with 5A. I am 90% sure if you hit him during dead spike, the hitbox disappears. Save your primers, look for 5D (1) to it. If you IB any 5C from him, throw a DD if you have it. Theres nothing he can do but try to ID out of it. If you feel courageous you can try to 6D but his massive hit boxes and GH overhead stop our hit from coming out. If you end up getting hit by Dead Spike, burst the next hit since the start up burst off dead spike is super readable and the hit itself prorates so well. His damage other than that comes from 6B. It gatlings off 5/2A, 2B, and 2C. Pretty slow, easy to block. If you have doubts, just block high and make him spend the heat for his damage.

Breaking through his guard while he has ID. Make him use it. Then after youre sure he knows how, bait and punish. If he has 50 heat, expect the RC and back dash or keep blocking. If the golden opportunity presents itself, punish ID with a 6C combo. If you have seals by this time, FRKZ to force his burst or outright kill him. Really just... FRKZ anytime, Ragna has nothing on this. Anywho, Ragnas a big character, all your seal combos work and all your other combos work better. He only has a little bit of health so poison him after j.C to send him into a panic. If he BKs and is poison, he straight bleeds.

Pick this apart for what its worth. He antiairs my jump ins a lot with 5A but i think thats just my being sloppy. Also he can DS full screen nails to neutralize your approach.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Just wanted to confirm some things.

-Yes, if you hit Ragna, the Deadspike hitbox deactivates, even though it looks like it still comes out. In most blockstrings, you can 5A him or jump over it, depending on the spacing.

-You can always 2D his overhead for a combo and seal. Not really anything he can do about that. Just learn to react to it.

-5A does actually work as an emergency anti-air, meant more as a desperate kind of measure. You just have to be more careful with your jump-ins to get around it.

Your write up really covers everything, good stuff.

His damage other than that comes from 6B. If you have doubts, just block high and make him spend the meter for his damage.

No, his damage comes from 6C, which is a low. If you auto-pilot high block good Ragnas will just take the free 6C.

Ragna's 6C can and will lead to some pretty stupid stuff if you allow it to hit you, but you could probably 6D his 6C for a free counter or making him use the rapid to retaliate should the situation arise.

You should also try to IB Ragna's 2C whenever possible.

And here's a snippet about getting up correctly against Ragna (bbq sauce shared this with me after I got up wrong like 100 times >.>):

-Corner 3C ender or hell's fang ender, do emergency tech.

-Some moves that don't allow emergency tech are 2D and inferno divider > heel drop.

-22C ender: Tech the stagger state asap, obviously. Earliest possible tech leaves him at +4.

-midscreen hell's fang ender - Just roll/quick get up etc.

-inferno divider > heel drop ender: neutral tech (works anywhere on the screen.

I also found TK D Nails to be pretty good against Ragna. I mean, they're good in general, but every Ragna I've played doesn't seem to have an answer for them other than to just back off for a bit and give me some room for footsies.

I can use 2D on reaction to 6B now and it makes this matchup a lot easier, as a lot of Ragna players pretty much rely on this move since who the fuck blocks overheads?

I think we all know how to fight Ragna, The most popular character by far. We know his strengths and weaknesses and he is very beatable. I think if you're online, you just need to abuse your mobility to the extremes and bait ID to pieces.

When I feel that a ragna is getting desperate, and its getting ready to ID on wakeup, I notice that throwing out some J.D's or 2D's at the right time work pretty well, especially if you have heat, if a ragna ID's on wakeup, a well timed J.D will give you a free Counter-hit, it also works if he tries to wakeup and grab, if he does decide to block however, you can just RC the J.D into pressure.

ps. most of the time, it'll still work even if they RC their ID, you probably won't get a counter-hit, but you can still combo into a 2A, and get a little damage in.

If you can, punish ID's with heavy starters. Im always in the habit of just 5B'ing :(

6C punish is 3.8k midscreen no meter or 5.4 with meter.

avoid using 5B as a punish.

If you can get it from at least mid-screen "starting positions", it will be 6k+ and build it's own meter for Ashura. In the corner it was up to 7k.

But of course if you are far from the corner or have your back to the corner you'll only get that lower damage without meter.

Just wanted to clarify the "mid-screen" part so people aren't sacrificing big damage off the punish.

him using deathspike in a blockstring is an auto 5D for bang

Ragna's j.A will beat Bang's j.A if both started at roughly the same time

that's all the specifics i got aside from play uber safe against ragna and defense first attack later mentality

Huey, Zeth, can we get a link to those combos in a vid or something? If not, can we see some notation for quick reference here? Just as an example.

Huey, Zeth, can we get a link to those combos in a vid or something? If not, can we see some notation for quick reference here? Just as an example.

Page 6 and Page 8 of the combo thread.

From Zeth, so you don't have to hunt down the punish. Can we update the first post as good info. arises?

Just to note, taking what was shown in the combo video and basically Dora's twitter combo,

you can actually build 50+ Heat off CH 6C from P2 Starting Position to combo into Ashura for more damage than the combo they did in the video. Not sure why they didn't come up with it in the video since they obviously came up with the same versions off FC j.623B and FC 3C.

P2 Starting Position:

(CH) 6C>B Nail Cancel>d.6C>(IAD) j.4C>j.623B>(d.5C)>6D>623B>2B>5B>j.B>j.4C>dj.B>dj. 4C>dj.C>B Nail>5A>Explosion>5C>2C>Ashura = [6,461] / 52 Heat / 1 Seal

It can also work in the corner as well if you 7 jump the j.4C. And the IAD is optional or not needed at all for this combo.

And since CH 6C in the corner hasn't been covered,

Corner:

(CH) 6C>B Nail Cancel>d.5C>2C>623B>5B>6C>7j.4C>j.623B>6C>j.B>j.4C >j.C>5A>5B>j.A>j.B>j.4C>dj.4C>dj.C = [6,045] / 56 Heat / (Note: Air enders into j.623B will allow them to tech before an Ashura can hit.)

Since the first combo works in the corner you could always do that for more damage, but since it is only 400 or so more it might only be good if it is going to kill.

So I'm looking for anyone to come up with a more damaging CH 6C corner combo that builds it's own meter for Ashura OR that just outright does more damage anyway. Needs to be over 6.4k. Hopefully 7k is possible, cause that would be one hell of a punish even though 6k is amazing anyway.

Also here would be a seals version:

(CH) 6C>B Nail Cancel>d.5C>2C>623B>2B>5B>j.B>j.4C>dj.B>dj.4C>dj.C >B Nail>5A>Explosion>6D>C Nail>6D>C Nail>5D = [5,043] / 49 Heat / 3 Seals

There's probably a 4 seal version that someone can come up with that is still damaging and not some basic 4 Seal off CH 6C.