Sign in to follow this  
Honnou

I-no vs Baiken

:BA: BAIKEN MATCHUP INFORMATION Poking Game Strategy Specific Punishes Setups/baits Knowledge

This matchup is a pain for most characters. Use HCL VERY sparingly since it goes right over her. *You're basically going to be on the defensive waiting for an opening.* j.P is great for this matchup as an anti air. Not sure what the exact name of this move is (tatami?), but you can bait "the plank" by hover dashing in, faultless defense braking, and punishing her. Be careful when pressuring and using the note in conjunction. I notice that a smart Baiken will block the note, wait for your j.K/j.S/j.HS, and counter it. When you're in the corner, faultless defense to push her away. Learn how to FD brake for baiting purposes. Patience is key!

I think Baiken is the easiest charachter in the cast to connect HCL FRC 66 jS VCL to HCL frc 66 jS VCL. Something about her hitbox and weight makes it perfect.

Once you finally are able to hit her :P. Also, to add to the 6HS piece, I think that it's best used from a distance. Executing it right next to Baiken=free counter for her. This is just a frustrating fight, but I train with a solid Baiken everyday so I've learned what works/doesn't work from constantly losing er...playing.

don't be afraid of 6hs its as much a friend to i-no as 6k is to testament. you just have to know how to use it. 6HS to bait superman counter and air dashing. baiken is never an easy fight. you just have to bait stuff. you make baiken think superman counter then 6hs. of course you want to stay at around the max range for 6hs.baiken can't counter anything she isn't blocking. a counter hit 6hs at max range gives you enough time to dash up j.s. (j.c.) j.s j.hs.....etc. its pretty much free 25 - 50% health right there jump cancelling is good, but be aware of her anti air counter (p.counter). if you're fast enough you can air throw superman counter. note the bitch even though she will tatami it away, so that you can at least get within range to start baiting. you might want to create throw set ups ,but be wary of 6k. if she sees that you throw a lot she might throw that out, and that is free half life in the corner for baiken. learn good defense because she can really hurt i-no. you can't 6p j.hs so don't try. so all in all. note the bitch -> get in -> scare the bitch -> punish the bitch for being scared -> reset -> dead baiken i'm actually going to try baiken out once my i-no is consistent. i haven't fought many baiken's. When i actually did get to fight one back in may, it was s.h and i got crushed. I was just starting to understand more about i-no because i recently picked her up. Feel free to pm me or aim : needmorewhyte

Well said. That's basically the I-no vs Baiken fight; defense, poke, defense, score a 6P counter hit and knock down as much of her life bar as possible. Rinse, repeat. Whyte, I agree that at some point you have to be on the offense, but I notice in a lot of vids that many I-no players become impatient and focus more on their offense than defense throughout a match *sigh*. You have to be patient to win this. Also, do you guys agree that this matchup is a 6-4 (in Baiken's favor)?

the thing that screws i-no over is tatami. its just in the way so you have to note her very wisely. if you get a throw and don't combo off of it, just do note while she gets up. get in ->start baiting stuff. --if you are in the corner you have to p note --mid screen hs note. i'd say 5-5....usually the matches that are bad for i-no are the ones that just seem to out-range her at ridiculous degrees. once i-no is in = mix up;damage;reset. i-no can close the gap between her and baiken if she just stays on her. on defense you have to be patient until you see a way to get out. definitely not 6-4. baiken just forces players to fight differently tis all. dash braking is your friend

a few things I want to add: abuse 2S STBT (S). The thing about this is while it's quick it doesn't combo. So it'll give you a poke from a safe range and a very good chance of scoring a counter hit. STBT (S) usually is the better of trades. Scoring a non-traded counter hit launch with it you can get in some major damage. you can replace the j.S with a quick j.H (then VCL 5H/5K HCL > ETC) for a little extra damage against baiken. I would have to agree that this is a 6-4 match in Baikodin's favor but at the same time not an overall too troubling match. I saw in a match vid (Ten or maybe Densetsu no Megane?) where an I-No player got hit with the scorpion chain (63214+H) and when dragged in went straight to Longing Desperation. (ground overdrive). He may of IB'd the first hit, not sure but it's a small trick to keep in mind.

This match is annoying but its not hard. Everything you think baiken can do to hurt or punish you can be avoided or baited easily. 1) bait P counter with late dash in jk - land. wont hit you = free punish. baiken wont use this counter ever if she is smart on Ino which means..... 2) bait S counter with dash in jk/s/h - land S STBT to go under = punish/ or double jump off of jS to punish/ or gatling into jD to punish. 3) bait superman counter with jump cancellable move and airthrow it. or baitit with note and counter with air throw 6H or JD. Hit her twice...and throw her a couple of times and shes done lol. its pretty easy to throw anyway with Ino in mixup but just watch out for 6K. DO NOT try to throw her when ur on wakeup. 6P can beat her jH clean, has to be dont extremely late, make her pay for jumping in free on you. dont try if she iad 6H tho. that = death for you. Both chars will be playing a waiting game to get in, so just be patient. Any ?'s

I saw in a match vid (Ten or maybe Densetsu no Megane?) where an I-No player got hit with the scorpion chain (63214+H) and when dragged in went straight to Longing Desperation. (ground overdrive). He may of IB'd the first hit, not sure but it's a small trick to keep in mind.

Chain leaves baiken at minor frame advantage fyi... she cant choose not to attack so it isnt a punish.

On a more personal note I remember hating baikens 2d :gonk:

Combo wise I remember 2s > 5h > HCL whiffs unless you delay it for a certain amount of time... that annoyed me cause I would always screw up good unprorated damage against baiken.

In this matchup Baiken can make more mistakes than ino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaFIo5NBe5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=creg9UEocKI

Hey guys, I uploaded some videos of me playing against a baiken player. I kind of have a hard time against her as you can see from the vids. Also there are lots of dropped combos and lost combo opportunities.

Any tips on what to do and what not to do would be great.

update:

The rest of the vids on Rinse-N-Repeat's page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFKgRhzsXYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_n4NsTdWss

do you use the d-pad or analog stick to do your 360s?

I noticed you have the same problem 90% of american i-no's have. you focus way too much on trying to pull of hcl airdashes in match. if you switch some of your combos around to 6p 5h jh instead of the hcl you'll get a far more consistent chunk of damage. keep working on the hcl but wait til you're at 90% success rate before you worry about using them so much in match.

going to watch some more and then ill edit my post

1st vid

I-NO HAS AN AMAZING OKI GAME, YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO USE IT IF YOU WANT TO WIN.

Your H-DIVE FRC is too early, there is more of a delay before the FRC point. I know at first it doesn't seem like a big deal but that FRC has so much potential and totally throws people off. You can even go into an airthrow from it.

Combo at 39 seconds, why did you go into K-DIVE so early? You could have milked that for at east another dive loop.

I forget the timing but your HCL airdash combo where you went into a jH and then dropped it you should probably go for a j.s VCL > land > HCL (or HCL Extend > whatever). Actually I noticed you don't do any j.s VCL relaunches. You really need to learn that.

2nd vid

You have a lot of opportunities you really don't take advantage of. Whenever you land a STBT S you should at the very minimum chase it for a tech throw or go into a 5k hcl for knockdown. (in the corner you can also follow it with a jk or 5k js) It's often better to go for a knockdown off a low poke into an oki game rather than try for that big combo. also like you did at 2:11, while 6p is great, you should never poke with against baiken because it can catch some of her on guard moves if you use it as the 2nd hit instead. if you used 5k to poke then canceled into 6p you probably would have came out on top.

3rd vid 3:36 can be followed up with js js jh sdive > etc

watch this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcoZv2foXvA

i think it will help out your game play immensely

do you use the d-pad or analog stick to do your 360s?

I noticed you have the same problem 90% of american i-no's have. you focus way too much on trying to pull of hcl airdashes in match. if you switch some of your combos around to 6p 5h jh instead of the hcl you'll get a far more consistent chunk of damage. keep working on the hcl but wait til you're at 90% success rate before you worry about using them so much in match.

going to watch some more and then ill edit my post

1st vid

I-NO HAS AN AMAZING OKI GAME, YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO USE IT IF YOU WANT TO WIN.

Your H-DIVE FRC is too early, there is more of a delay before the FRC point. I know at first it doesn't seem like a big deal but that FRC has so much potential and totally throws people off. You can even go into an airthrow from it.

Combo at 39 seconds, why did you go into K-DIVE so early? You could have milked that for at east another dive loop.

I use a dpad to do the 360 motion.

Can you elaborate on her oki game....what do u mean, is there anything specific?(been reading the ino forums but there is nothing specific about her oki game)

Don't know why, I wanted to go for S-dive but went for K-dive instinctively. Sometimes I'm afraid that my dives will whiff or she would recover and punish me so I go for a really early knockdown.

I forget the timing but your HCL airdash combo where you went into a jH and then dropped it you should probably go for a j.s VCL > land > HCL (or HCL Extend > whatever). Actually I noticed you don't do any j.s VCL relaunches. You really need to learn that.

I know how to do that combo, but I have a bad habit of doing j.H, s-dive. Not sure but I think its cuz the input is easier so naturally I go for that in fights.

Actually, what you see now is an improvement. When I first started using her in accent core, I lost a lot.:( I think I lack fundamentals and try to go for flashy stuff(even though I can't really pull it off). It doesn't help to fight baiken....why the hell do I need bait I'm not a fisherman. I'm gonna go try out some of the stuff in the vid that u linked.

lol I took ur advice, and went on several win streaks today. Its amazing what a simple tensionless combo can do to ppl. especially baiken whose life is low. Its weird but doing those combos actually made the transition to doing the hcl frc > j.s > vcl easier. I played more defensively conscious too. It sucks that I wasn't able to record it. uh...I should add something productive to this thread: Baikens chain move leave her at frame advantage so the best thing to do is just block and be patient...wait for her to fuck up basically, her ground moves are kinda slow. sometimes I would sneak in a 2k just to interrupt and then back dash. If ur impatient u can just time her chain with 6p, it'll clash and give u time to escape her frame trap.

Sign in to follow this