Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

qwerty

6K Kara Throw

This is something that I've known about for awhile, but didn't really try to get down until last night when Hellmonkey talked about it on a stream chat.

His explanation:

you can still option select between throw and FD even on the ground. do a forward option select with 6P+H or 6K+H on the same frame, which will do your normal forward option select using 6P or 6K, then immediately (2f window?) input back, and you can FD cancel your 6P or 6K. johnny can kara throw using this.

Of course, kara throws aren't exactly common in Guilty Gear (this is the only one I know of, actually), so you may find this hard to believe without trying it.

The input for this is 6 K+H4. That last part has to be done with 1-2f timing, and you need to hit both the buttons as well as the 4 on the same frame.

The way I do it is I hold 6, then when I press K+H I hold them down, and then while I'm doing that I already have the stick going through neutral so I can hit 4 at the same time. You'll know if you got it by seeing Johnny move forward more than he normally does + an FD flash.

It isn't easy, and arguably not practical since I've yet to see any Johnny player use it in a match. But, it's cool to know.

Tutorial vid might come once I can do it consistently. :)

A practical use of this would be to 'double throw': 6+KH > (2 frames) > 4 > release and hit H as quickly as possible. Or if you don't start on neutral, 6KH > 4 > 6SH to get your sweet 5s option select. Triple throw: 6KH > 4 > 6KH > 4H

Keep in mind you'll need to hold down K and H for a few frames (most people do this while normally hitting buttons, after that just make sure to time your back input correctly)

There are two distances you can move forward based on the frame you cancel. I think it's a significant distance for 'instant' movement.

It's easy to see whether you get it or not by turning on input in training mode. You should flash FD and move forward if far away, or grab them if close enough. You should see forward, KH, back distinctly in the input. If you aren't getting it, you probably aren't switching from forward to back fast enough after 6KH.

I'm assuming i have done it correctly if i get this weird step forward to fd?

Might be me doing stuff wrong, but i gave it a go in a few matches yesterday in which ended poorly. couldn't get it at a proper range and it seemd like the normal throw had more range sometimes, im sorta confused :P

It really isn't easy to pull off in practice, most of the time I just end up with an unsafe 6K.

The only practical situation for it I can think of is after a meaty 2K or blocked 2PP, since that's about as far as the throw range gets extended.

And yeah, you'll see Johnny move forward (about 1/4th of a normal dash) and then you'll either FD if you're out of throw range or throw if you're within it.

It really isn't easy to pull off in practice, most of the time I just end up with an unsafe 6K.

The only practical situation for it I can think of is after a meaty 2K or blocked 2PP, since that's about as far as the throw range gets extended.

And yeah, you'll see Johnny move forward (about 1/4th of a normal dash) and then you'll either FD if you're out of throw range or throw if you're within it.

wicked man, thanks! was thinking of options to use it and there i got it! it's magic, it's qwerty :D