Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CSE] Tsubaki Yayoi Unblockable Setups Compilation (Updated 3/7/12)

==================================================

Tsubaki Yayoi Unblockable Setups Compilation

==================================================

"Hooray for Free Damage"

Tsubaki_22X.png

Updates:

7/8/12: Added another setup by TGR.

3/28/12: Added demonstration of j.236D > j.214D > RC > Unblockable Trap.

3/20/12: Modified information on J.236D > j.214D unblockable trap and fixed errors.

3/16/12: Added visual reference from Adelheid Stark.

3/13/12: More demonstrations and added 22C information.

3/13/12: Added more video demonstrations.

3/6/12: Added 3CC followup to 22D in the general notes with thanks to TheGreatReptar and a video demonstration of 236C(w) > unblockable.

2/28/12: Added a little more information to setups thanks to EdWORLD.

2/26/12: Added two more unblockable setups, one of which is from BatousaiJ. Also inserted information from Bat into General notes.

Credits:

• Tsubaki community for introducing the setups.
  • BatousaiJ for the 236D > unblockable input and general notes.
  • Pktazn for placing this on the wall of fame, and the format.
  • Adelheid Stark for unblockable tutorial.

Introducing the Queen of the unblockables setups! She makes Carl and Relius look like shit! So guys and gals gather round as we find more unblockable setups to frustrate our opponents!! This unblockable is something very unique to Tsubaki and it's a great tool to keep your opponent on your toes.

Table of Contents:
    1. General Tips Regarding the Unblockable

2. Unblockable Setups

3. Visual Reference

1. General Tips regarding the Unblockable:

[*]An unblockable can ONLY be done with a fully charged 22D by holding down D. It will release itself automatically, but remember that it requires one stock.

[*]It is more beneficial to use an unblockable in the corner as Tsubaki has low costly followup options. If you do it midscreen, you could followup up with a dash 3CC RC and use a full IAD combo but the easiest way however is to followup with 236D.

[*]Unblockables are not mandatory to use, but they give you the opportunity to rack up alot of damage and meter gain, and even possibly earn great corner carry.

[*]Most opponents don't suspect you to go for a 22D unblockable midscreen and expect you to do it in the corner as it is common practice, meaning a block string drop or tech trap 22D unblockable is more likely to hit than as opposed to if you are to do it in the corner. If you have two charges, you can follow up against most characters with a 22D > 236D > dash 2CC > IAD j.CC > 5C > 2CC > 236B > 214B > 22B. If you only have one charge when you do the unblockable, it's still handy against rush down characters as it will give you a ton of time to get charges back (2D is your friend here).

[*]22D unblockables are great setups themselves to 22D quick hits where you bait them into pressing a button to hit you out of your unblockable or jump out of there when you release 22D with a very small gap and hit them with it without the unblockable property. Lets say you did 5A > 5CC > 6B > 22D unblockable a few times (not a bad setup since 6B is +1 and you're still far enough from them their A attacks won't connect) before and got them and you anticipate them to try to hit you or try to jump out. Simply release the 22D quickly after holding but don't gatliing it as you purposely want to leave a gap in there. If they try to jump out, they'll be caught in the frames where they can't barrier guard just yet and get hit, if they try to poke you, they'll get CH for a midscreen wall bounce and you can followup with an IAD combo.

[*]Hakumen can't parry unblockables! (Although his astral will)

2.Unblockable Setups

1. After a corner knockdown
    Notes: Self explanatory really. This is the most common way to land an unblockable and is used after a typical bnb combo. You should easily get the hit in if it's meaty, or slightly off. If it's done too early you'll be left vulnerable, and if it's done late, the opponent will have more time to react with attacks other than a reversal, or jump out. Obviously, this setup loses to reversals, but if it's done meaty, you should score a CH. It's important to note that the various combos you use will have different untechable times depending on the moves used. For example, look at this standard corner combo:

Throw > 6CC > 236C > 5C > 2C > 236C > 214C > 22B

This combo should at least allow you to charge/wait for 0.3s, and then you can go for the unblockable. However, you can use the 22C knockdown to your advantage. Ending the corner combo with a 22C gives you the opportunity to followup immediately with a meaty unblockable afterwards which will hit the opponent if they decide to immediately neutral tech. Of course this also makes it easier for you to OTG the opponent with a 2B if they opt to try to delay their tech.

There is also a 5B > Unblockable setup. Space yourself when you get a corner knockdown at max 5B range, then do 5B>22D, and hold 22D. At this point, you can actually hit confirm if the 5B hit and let go of 22D. If it was blocked, you can fully charge it. The setup's nice in that it looks like you're giving the opponent breathing room, so they're very likely to try to jump. It is a difficult hit confirm however.

2. Blockstring Drop into Unblockable.
    Notes: This is an old school way of getting the unblockable hit. It's really good against opponents that like to block, but it doesn't work so much on those who like to mash buttons. So for example, you could do 5BB > 5C > Unblockable. Ideally, I find that the unblockable is best used of a 5B(B) (or the beginning of a blockstring) as it's less ambigious. Try avoid doing this near the end of your blockstrings as that's when your opponent likes to try outpoking you out of stuff. It's especially obvious when you go for a full blockstring (5BB > 2BB > 5CC) into it, because you have very limited (and most likely unsafe) options after the 5CC, so don't do it!

3. Combo Drop into Unblockable.
    Notes: Another old school way of doing it, though it's not as obvious to see since most of our combos will end with 22B/C anyway. Remember that you can also do it off an 214x/236x hit which adds more to the ambigiousness. It's probably better to do it after 214X as it's adjusts your positioning, not putting you too close to your opponent if they opt to try to outpoke you. This can be done either on an arbourne opponent from the 236X > 214X ender, or on a grounded opponent. Don't be over reliant on this though, as it's extremely easy to catch up upon. This and the above option are the most unsafe ways of landing the unblockable, but a demonstration can be seen here.

4. Corner 6A > Unblockable Tech Trap
    Notes: Tsubaki's mini vortex on unaware players. The 6A is done after a basic bnb in the corner and followed up with an unblockable which should catch players regardless of how they tech. The 22X should be charged for as long as possible so you get the untechable time needed to followup with the 6A. Be aware not to prorate the combo too much or it will not work. If you're too close to them they can roll past you, and if they tech and try to outpoke you, you will score a CH, which really doesn't make a difference to the rest of your combo, but it does give you a little more untechable time to charge a little longer with 5D. If your opponent does not tech, they will still get caught with the unblockale! Yay! There are two ways to avoid this however. The first way is for the opponent to time their neutral tech, so they wakeup just as you launch the unblockable. The invincibility frames of the neutral tech will prevent them from getting hit. The alternative would be for the opponent to neutral tech and then punch you in the face with a DP, but of course, not all characters have that option! Which is why this is better to use against characters with poor reversal options, like Valkenhayn! The easy way to put the dog down imo. They could also gold burst you on their wakeup too of course. This can lose to Tager's 360A however.

A demonstration can be shown here.

It can also be done in this combo as well for a little more ambigiouty:

22D > 6CC > 623C > j.236A(w) > j.214D > j.D > j.C > Dash 5C > 2CC > 214D > 6A > 5C > 2C > ender

The difference with this one is that you actually have a choice to continue the combo (red beat) or go for an unblockable after the 6A. If they don't tech after the 6A, the unblockable will reset them as shown here.

5. 236D > Unblockable Tech Trap (Mid - Combo)
    Notes: Lets say you have your back against the corner and you hit them with anything, you can do 5A > 5BB > 2BB > 5CC > 236D > 22D unblockable. This does two things- it gets you out of the corner and switches positions and when your opponent just about mashes out of the hit stagger of 236D, they'll be reset into a 22D unblockable which will bounce them off the corner. It's simple enough to avoid as is the case with most unblockable setups by not teching but you'd be surprised at how often this will work. Of course, the easy way for your opponent to evade this is to simply not tech. You will waste a stock, but you will have the opportunity to gain more. The timing for the opponent to use a reversal is quite strict because the frame window is really small, so bear in mind you may ocassionally score a CH.

6. Throw/22X knockdown > Delay 236C(w) > Unblockable (Midscreen only)
    Notes: Again self explanatory. The 236C followup is supposed to whiff by delaying the input, and then you can quickly cancel it into an unblockable. If the opponent is pushed into the corner, then how they tech usually doesn't matter, though if it's midscreen, they can roll backwards to avoid it. Staying on the ground would only allow you to get a reset! In addition, could use, throw > 236C > 214C(w) > unblockable which is another good one that can be used against opponent who opt to tech quickly. The 214C will always whiff from a grab and the opponent will tech right in front of 22D distance. If you followup with 236C too quickly 22D will not come out.

7. j.236D > j.214D > RC > Unblockable trap (On block)
    Notes: This is a very cost heavy method of using the unblockable as it requires 3 stocks and 50% heat. There is a bigger emphasis on using j.D during combos and so this makes this setup much more viable and effective. The best way to land this setup is after a j.214D corner knockdown. Use j.D to slowly control your altitude and use j.236D as your opponent is about to recover from j.214D. A followup j.214D should hit meaty making your opponent untechable to AA you. Your opponent can only green burst or use a CA during the setup which makes this the best method of landing an unblockable if done correctly. There is no way they will be able to retaliate when hit with the j.236D > j.214D followup, as they are stuck in blockstun for about a good 3 seconds? They cannot roll out of this because they will just get hit by the followup and they must neutral tech. However this setup is more effective against characters without DPs because it surely loses to those. In addition, look out for characters who may be able to get around this with heat, such as Tager using MTW.

A demonstration of this can be viewed here.

8. Air combo > j.236D > j.214A (delay hit) > Orb > Unblockable
    Notes: This is the more cost effective method as you're only using 2 stocks with no heat! The idea is to hit the opponent with j.214A, but it needs to be delayed otherwise the dive will consume the orb. Afterwards, you dash a little and immediately go for the unblockable. The orb is supposed to hit them while they're blocking, but of course if they get hit, they will still get hit. This is more effective in the corner, as midscreen they can easily opt to roll forward towards you to avoid it. The corner limits their escape options. They can CA, but they'd have to do it right as the orb hits, which can be a little difficult. They can also burst, and Rachel may be able to escape this setup with wind. If you had noticed, Kuresu uses this setup!

3. Visual Reference

Please check out this unblockable tutorial by Adelheid Stark:

Ok, you can say what you want now.

:3

Ok, you can say what you want now.

:3

Anything we want, huh? Guess I'll start.

Fuck this thread. :3

looks like someone get cockblocked too much :3

I usually use a set up that I witnessed the Tsubaki player Kuyaki do several times in his matches. In the corner, he would 2A them after a 22X ender and immediately cancel into 22D. If the opponent mashes tech than they'll recover and will most likely be counter hit and eat a 4k combo. I implimented in into my game and was surprised how much people got hit by it.

Now the more experience players would simply not mash tech when they see me do it once or twice, so I usually 2B then and go into the IAD combo. Another thing the usually start doing is mash tech roll forward. But since an otg 2A makes them airborne, I simply jump back and throw them then proceed into a combo.

Somtimes 2A will whiff depending on the character so now I use 5C from a reasonable distance away instead.

Now I'm not sure if Kuyaki is using an option select whenever he does this (he probably is) but I've never seen anyone hit him out of it before.

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions on improving this dirty set up?

I thought 6A was the normal of choice to use after a corner ender due to the fact that it forces emergency tech? Like you said, 2A puts your opponent in the air which allows them to tech away safely and possibly even punish you if you already started charging 22D (although I'm not 100% sure of this).

But yeah, check out the third unblockable set-up in the list since I think it's pretty much the same as yours albeit slightly more reliable.

Yea I was thinking the same thing Hexanoid. The 2A will just let the opponent tech in the air and around her.

Though Surfeit, would you be able to provide us with a video demonstration?

Anything we want, huh? Guess I'll start.

Fuck this thread. :3

I couldn't stop laughing for a while after that. :cool:

I always found it hard to link 6A from a 22X, especially online with the slight delay. I'll go into training mood to try these out in a bit. I always loved the j.236D > delayed j.214A set up. But I've never used to myself.

@Kiba yes I could show a demonstration but it may take awhile since I'm typing this on my PS3

tager specific , but remember that if he jumps, it's pretty easy to time the unblockable to hit right about when he's landing.

Wow I really cant find any matches where he applied that set up now. It doesn't help that he's always in the hour long a-cho uploads. This is going to take awhile

I've always thought most Tsu players I face don't use 22D unblockable setups enough.

It's something very unique to Tsubaki and it's a great tool to keep your opponent on your toes.

Some things to note-

1. Most opponents don't suspect you to go for a 22D unblockable midscreen and expect you to do it in the corner as it is common practice meaning a block string drop or tech trap 22D unblockable is more likely to hit than as opposed to if you are to do it in the corner. If you have two charges, you can follow up against most characters with a 22D > 236D > dash 2CC > IAD j.CC > 5C > 2CC > 236B > 214B > 22B. If you only have one charge when you do the unblockable, it's still handy against rush down characters as it will give you a ton of time to get charges back(2D is your friend here).

2. 22D unblockables are great setups themselves to 22D quick hits where you bait them into pressing a button to hit you out of your unblockable or jump out of there when you release 22D with a very small gap and hit them with it without the unblockable property. Lets say you did 5A > 5CC > 6B > 22D unblockable a few times(not a bad setup since 6B is +1 and you're still far enough from them their A attacks won't connect) before and got them and you anticipate them to try to hit you or try to jump out. Simply release the 22D quickly after holding but don't gatliing it as you purposely want to leave a gap in there. If they try to jump out, they'll be caught in the frames where they can't barrier guard just yet and get hit, if they try to poke you, they'll get CH for a midscreen wall bounce.

Lastly, another favorite 22D setup of mine that isn't listed is to use the 236D stagger time near the corner.

Lets say you have your back against the corner and you hit them with anything, you can do 5A > 5BB > 2BB > 5CC > 236D > 22D unblockable. This does two things- it gets you out of the corner and switches positions and when your opponent just about mashes out of the hit stagger of 236D, they'll be reset into a 22D unblockable which will bounce them off the corner. It's simple enough to avoid as is the case with most unblockable setups by not teching but you'd be surprised at how often this will work.

I've always thought most Tsu players I face don't use 22D unblockable setups enough.

:I:

Gonna add these.

The funny thing is that I was actually about to add these myself, but your explanations are generally better than mine anyway haha. Thanks!

@Surfeit: No worries :)

@Errol: Isn't that kinda risky?

On a side note, the list is looking good. :yaaay:

Sure thing.

That reminds me, 22D unblockable stuff would make a very useful tutorial video.

Maybe I'll do one on that later.

Ok seriously, I was actually thinking of doing the same thing...this is getting a little weird.

Though I'm more looking forward to you doing it as you have better quality, and you could probably do it earlier. :x

Good luck!

Oh dude, I don't care who does it as long as it gets done.

If you wanna do it, by all means.

Also, I'm in your mindddddddd

:I:

@Errol: Isn't that kinda risky?

I guess it depends, but I think it isn't really if you have your spacing and timing right... Like if you do 6a>22d vs. tager, you can be 360d or 720d if your spacing is wrong, or possibly magnetized, but at max range you should be fine. I think he might be able to tag you with j.D as he's coming down. not sure.

Oh dude, I don't care who does it as long as it gets done.

But I'll do it.

Thanks man!

I guess it depends, but I think it isn't really if you have your spacing and timing right... Like if you do 6a>22d vs. tager, you can be 360d or 720d if your spacing is wrong, or possibly magnetized, but at max range you should be fine. I think he might be able to tag you with j.D as he's coming down. not sure.

Oh yea that's true, and jya, he can hit you with j.D as he's coming down. I remember that happening to me multiple times :(

I see no one has made an unblockable setup video yet, or said they're working on it beyond "Hey it would be great if this could happen." I'm not exactly a super common contributor here, but I used to be for the Carl subforum back in relatively early CS1, and now I contribute a lot to SRK for Marvel. If it wouldn't be beyond my bounds as a relative outside here and none of you guys are going to be making one in the immediate future, I'd absolutely be up for making it since, y'know, I want to give you people something in return for being so awesome. I can most likely have something up by tomorrow night, or week's end at the very latest. If that'd be okay with you all.

Well that's certainly ok with me.

Go for it. I'm sure everyone else will show much appreciation to your contribution.

Sounds good to me; None of the stuff here requires you to have like, weird magic Tsubaki history or something. ;)

I see no one has made an unblockable setup video yet, or said they're working on it beyond "Hey it would be great if this could happen." I'm not exactly a super common contributor here, but I used to be for the Carl subforum back in relatively early CS1, and now I contribute a lot to SRK for Marvel. If it wouldn't be beyond my bounds as a relative outside here and none of you guys are going to be making one in the immediate future, I'd absolutely be up for making it since, y'know, I want to give you people something in return for being so awesome. I can most likely have something up by tomorrow night, or week's end at the very latest. If that'd be okay with you all.

Sure.

I'm pretty busy these days with RL stuff more so than usual lately so it wouldn't have been done until a few weeks from now anyhow.

Lets see what you've got~

throw -> 236C -> 214C ->22D(unblockable) is another good one that I use sometimes against people who mash to tech. The 214C will always whiff from a grab and the opponent will tech right in front of 22D distance.

Also is ending a combo where the opponent is in the air with 214A into an unblockable pretty legit as a set up? I've had some success with this as well.

throw -> 236C -> 214C ->22D(unblockable) is another good one that I use sometimes against people who mash to tech. The 214C will always whiff from a grab and the opponent will tech right in front of 22D distance.

Wouldn't it be better to do the 236C > Unblockable setup instead? The 214C(w) > unblockable gives your opponent much more time to react than the one I listed. Though, your setup would fall in Bat's category where you could release it early and score a CH.

Also is ending a combo where the opponent is in the air with 214A into an unblockable pretty legit as a set up? I've had some success with this as well.

I wouldn't say so, because j.214A's untechable time isn't that huge for you to be in a good position to land an unblockable, you'd also have to dash to your opponent. This will be different if you RC the dive into the unblockable however.

Or am I just getting these points wrong again and I'm missing something? Haha