Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isuyaru

[CSE] Carl Clover Combo Thread

So maybe somebody can help me with the Carl unblockable set-up. I can't for the life of me figure how I can get the j.2C hit after the air dash jA, jB, jA. On Jin it whiffs completely and when I try it on someone like Valkenhayn the j.2C doesn't combo. What am I doing wrong?

If the j.2C whiffs, make sure that you're as close to them as possible while you're doing j.ABA. As for j.2C not comboing, you're either not doing the j.2C quick enough after j.ABA or your combo might have too much proration by the time you get to the j.ABA, j.2C part.

It might be a little tricky, but when I do the reset, I input j.1C while holding the D button (assuming you're facing the right). That input moves Ada forward, pushing the opponent toward you, and the j.2C still comes out.

Super easy versions of corner combo segments from 5C airhits and can be chained into each other for up to 3 different ones per combo: (also D is pressed at the same time as another button anyways for most of these so you don't need super good timing.)

5C>19j.B>dj.B>j.2CD>Slightly Delayed j.5C>(2D hit)

5C>19j.B>j.623CD>j.5C>623D hit

5C>19j.B>dj.B>j.421CD>j.C>421D hit

4CD>5C>4D Hits>44

5C>19j.2D>j.6BD>j.C>6D Hit

5C>19j.B>dj.B>j.21C4D(Timing must be perfect or you get j.214C)>5C>4D(2) Hit>44

These aren't as good as the regular combo counterparts but they are so much easier to do.

Any more you can share someonewhodied, anything I get on Carl is helpful, trying to lean him now so I wanted you to know someone is listening!

I'm not completely sure about how the inputs work out for your combos so feel free to correct on this. With that said, there are a few things about your combos that I want to point out.

5C>19j.B>j.623CD>j.5C>623D hit

I'm assuming that this would result in a j.2C input for Carl. If that's the case, 623D would come out before j.C since 623D comes out so fast. I'd recommend changing it to 5C, sj.B, j.2C, j.6236CD.

5C>19j.B>dj.B>j.421CD>j.C>421D hit

IMO, 5C, sj.B, dj.B, j.2C, j.4214CD is easier

4CD>5C>4D Hits>44

5C>19j.B>dj.B>j.21C4D(Timing must be perfect or you get j.214C)>5C>4D(2) Hit>44

5C doesn't work in the combo. Did you mean j.C?

Other than that, I think this is pretty good. This is especially helpful for beginner pad Carls.

I'm on stick, I'm a competent player trying to learn Carl, but I'm finding the resources a bit limited.

I understand he has 4 main combo variants. Those a some basic block strings would really help me out, I'm just trying to watch videos and hit training mode from memory. I haven't actually played many matches outside of training mode so doll control outside of combos still seems wierd, I'm pretty determined to stick with him though

Ah, another recruit for the Carl army :D

Carl has a lot of variations for his combos to the point where I can't list them all... so I'll drop these links instead. The tutorials are in Japanese but the important stuff is there. Feel free to ask any questions regarding anything in these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vhVFDqiYZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXI7nNMpLYs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCnpWS5H_xw (This one's a bit more advanced)

For blockstrings, Carl can do a lot of things but the most basic blockstrings are basically a sequence of alternating attacks from Carl and Nirvana. Some example blockstrings:

- 2A, 5A, 2A, 5A, 5B, 6B, 6D, 2A, 5A...

- 2A, 5A, 2A, 5A, 5B, 6B, 6D, 6C...

- 2A, 5B, 2B, 5C, 236A, 6D, 2A, 5A...

I do apologize for the lack of resources though, it's something that's plagued the Carl boards for a while now. Hopefully we can fix this by the time CP comes out on consoles.

Thanks psychotic, especially for the links, there was a couple of vids of jourdals channel I was using but obvs they're gone, so these will be helpful.

Just need to grind until I have a mid screen and corner bnb from bad starters then I can work on adding extra parts for better starters, CH' and fatal's etc

EDIT: Just watched these and these are EXACTLY what I need, I've seen the last before but thought it was a little in at the deep end, as you touched on. 1st is especially useful, breaking down the common parts.

Can't wait to crack on with training mode now!

What's the secret to getting 2d to cause a maximum ground bounce consistently?

For 623c > 22d > 5c > (2d) j.b > j.c I've put a slight delay on j.b and it seems to help but still only getting it 50% of the time.

No problems with combo itself, just the bounce

What I like to do in that combo is that I actually put a slight delay on the j.C instead of j.B. Works 100% of the time for me, try it out to see if it works for you.

Still practicing that unblockable set-up and my last problem is trying to figure out when to time the 3d to get the unblockable. So far all I've managed to do is do it too early and the entire thing ends up just being a single combo.

My timing for releasing 3D is that I "plink" the 3D with the second j.A, if that makes any sense (by plinking, I mean that I'm actually releasing and re-pressing D). As a transcript, it looks like this:

(...), AD, j.ABA, j.2C, j.A, j.3D~A, j.B. (hold back immediately)

"I'm assuming that this would result in a j.2C input for Carl. If that's the case, 623D would come out before j.C since 623D comes out so fast. I'd recommend changing it to 5C, sj.B, j.2C, j.6236CD."

Both hits of 623D connect and this combo is with ada inactive before the attack, causing a slight delay in the attack, so on most characters, since this is low to the ground and ada is near the corner, it comes out j.2C>623D(1)>j.5C>623D(2)

"IMO, 5C, sj.B, dj.B, j.2C, j.4214CD is easier"

I'm sure either works, I just have a habit of pressing C and D at the same time so I adapted my combo.

"5C doesn't work in the combo. Did you mean j.C?"

yeah. J.5C.

What's the secret to getting 2d to cause a maximum ground bounce consistently?

For 623c > 22d > 5c > (2d) j.b > j.c I've put a slight delay on j.b and it seems to help but still only getting it 50% of the time.

No problems with combo itself, just the bounce

What I actually do is 623C and 22D immediately after the 623C input, then 5C~2D>j.B>j.C,. It seems to give me the best height.

Still practicing that unblockable set-up and my last problem is trying to figure out when to time the 3d to get the unblockable. So far all I've managed to do is do it too early and the entire thing ends up just being a single combo.

Did you check the UB tutorial vid for Carl? Aside from the timing you have to keep in mind, that doing unblockables with Carl requires a certain amount of hitstun. That way, you will avoid doing a single combo....

Found an easy 5K repeatable unblockable starter combo:

3C+2D>j.2C~214CD>8j.B>j.5C>445C>j.B~6D>j.C>5C>hj.B>dj.B>j.2CD>j.5C>land>hj.B>dj.B>j.421CD>j.5C>5C>632146C>623D>j.5C>2A Whiff>repeat

Found an easy 5K repeatable unblockable starter combo:

3C+2D>j.2C~214CD>8j.B>j.5C>445C>j.B~6D>j.C>5C>hj.B>dj.B>j.2CD>j.5C>land>hj.B>dj.B>j.421CD>j.5C>5C>632146C>623D>j.5C>2A Whiff>repeat

da fuq

445C!?!? then how are you using 6D when your opponent is still in the air and you are still able to combo 0.0?

as for 2C FC combos, ill do 2C>236A>2C>236A, and then a standard combo so j.B>j.B>j.C>volante~relaunch combo.

I havent found any optimal 2C fatal combos though

2C(FC)+2D>6C(Fully Charged)>5C>hj.B>dj.B>j.421CD>j.5C>5C>hj.5B>j.2C>j.5B>dj.5B>j.6236DC>445C>632146C>623D>hj.5C+2D>Falling j.2A(Whiff to catch forward techs)>3C unblockable reset.

5080 damage before the reset. (in corner)

--------------------------

9.1K 2 Gold Bursts, 150% Meter

3C(CH)>214214D>Gold Burst>Gold Burst(Hold)>Release stick at 2 Position>(2D Hits, Hold 6C at this point)>6C Hits>6A>j.6BD>j.C>5C>j.B>dj.B>j.421CD>j.5C>5C>Hold D>j.6B>j.2C>j.6B>dj.6B>Release 8D>j.C>214214D>3C>632146C>j.5C

how can i connect volante in this combo: j2c > allecan > 5b > 6b > cantabile > 22d > 5c > volante > vivaceA > blahblahcombo.

also,is 22d good to input after or before cantabile? thanks in advance.

The way I usually input the combo is: [combo...], 623C, 22D, 4C21]D[, 236A, [combo...]

By inputting 5C as 4C, you're still getting 5C but you're also buffering the Volante motion early. You do have to do the input rather quickly but it becomes natural after a while.