KayEff

BlazBlue Question Thread - Ask your questions here!

The words FRESH MEAT! come to mind. Lol but seriously, although it is entertaining stomping newbies and seeing how they react(especially with the mains I play). It is nice to get new blood into the game and to actually feel like you taught someone something. When I play with newer players I don't like to patronize them by going too easy on them since when that happens to me I find it more insulting than anything and you don't learn much if the better player isn't being at least somewhat serious imo. I also like to take matches like that as an opportunity to try and practice with characters I don't play very well so I can learn something too.

I'll be honest, it can get boring playing someone who's really below your level after a while. Because of this, i am appreciative of people who are way better than me who give me long sets. I don't like going easy on people, so i might switch characters , but if i feel that my opponent can learn something of the matchup from me, then i try to stick with the same character.

Still, it's always nice to get new people learning the game.

It's always nice to see new faces around. But honestly, it does get a little stale fighting someone who doesn't know left from right. It gets worse if they start crying foul and refuse to fight anyone that's remotely high level and start preying on the weak.

I do understand that fighting someone good might help. They either got moxie or just plain reckless.

But the difference in level becomes too apparent when the opponent is becoming nothing more than a handy meat puppet to practice combos on. That's just not fun for anyone.

When people ask me for advice on certain things, I just tell them to grind in the training room and beat up the punching bag till your combos become second nature.

What about everyone else? What do you guys tell others for advice in general?

I've never got asked for general advice, usually just specific situations where the person has trouble. Like someone not knowing you have to air barrier block after Jin j.D to block the 5B air unblockable reset.

Can anyone tell me which DLC packs have Sword Of Doom and Condemnation Wings?

"Sword" is in DLC pack 6, and "Wings" is in DLC pack 4.

This is more of general FGC question than one directly related to Blazblue, but since is the only FG forum I lurk, I'll post it here anyways.

I was always curious about the process people use to discover combo routes. I know that some of the combos I've used, I never would have come up with no matter how much time I had spent in the training room. I guess I just don't have the right thought processes for these things, because I only tend to notice the most obvious things.

This is more of general FGC question than one directly related to Blazblue, but since is the only FG forum I lurk, I'll post it here anyways.

I was always curious about the process people use to discover combo routes. I know that some of the combos I've used, I never would have come up with no matter how much time I had spent in the training room. I guess I just don't have the right thought processes for these things, because I only tend to notice the most obvious things.

1) Pick move that you think looks cool.

2) Find ways to combo into it.

3) Find ways to loop it.

4) Get hype at tourneys.

I don't know if this is always the case, but I think a large part of coming up with the really elaborate combos you see in videos involves picking apart frame data and using math to figure out what the engine will allow you to get away with.  Example: Attack X puts opponent in hit state for 18 frames and has 7 frames of recovery; Attack Y has 5 frames of startup; 7 + 5 = 12, which is less than 18; thus Attack X will combo into Attack Y.  You do that for every move in a character's arsenal, then factor in things like hit stun decay and damage proration and write out combo trees on sheets of paper until you've reduced the entire game down to a mathematical formula and sucked every last bit of fun out of it.

Kinda silly question, but I was wondering if the customization plates are unlocked by playing story mode or something.

I thought they unlocked along with the icons via ranked, but I'm still missing some even though I got into the dans

Meh, not sure if this is the right thread but I am going to assume and with all assumptions I may make an @$$ out of you and me.

Anyways, what is a good beginner character to learn? I get that everyone has their mains which seems to be more what I am looking for.

Recently, I have played (in this order) Ragna, Kokonoe, Hakumen, Azrael, Terumi, Jin, and back to Kokonoe.

My problem is that eventually I will get to a roadblock where I either know most of the character shown aboves combos or bread n butters but I just cannot seem to get wins. Even after playing for hours on end as well as staying in training mode. Not sure what I am doing wrong (I'd be happy to play someone for criticism even or someone who has played me before, please feel free to critique my playstyle.) I want to get better.

With Kokonoe, I can do most of her combos in training mode (in theory.) Then I go online or to my local group of friends and get rekt.... 

With Ragna, I can usually do pretty good online and keep the basic combos going but when it comes to the more advanced ones involving 22C, I drop them every single time even after practicing them in training mode for hours.

With Azrael, I kind of feel predictable and it usually shows. I either dominate the match or get rekt.

With Jin, I have no idea what I am doing outside of the basic bread n butter combos.

With Terumi, I feel extremely predictable and usually either get demolished or control the match. Pro's rek me.

With Hakumen, I feel predictable again and I am not really sure how else to approach him. I really liked Hakumen but he does feel really sluggish.

TL;DR -

Anyways, I guess what I am asking after all of the rambling : Who would be a good character to pick up out of those characters or another one similar to those characters who has relatively easy to learn bread n butters and can RTSD (Rush that shit down.)

Thanks for yo time.

( I would also love to find a mentor / sparring partner even if they absolutely destroy me until I get better. I play on a wired 5.9mbps connection in the midwest. )

Meh, not sure if this is the right thread but I am going to assume and with all assumptions I may make an @$$ out of you and me.

Anyways, what is a good beginner character to learn? I get that everyone has their mains which seems to be more what I am looking for.

Recently, I have played (in this order) Ragna, Kokonoe, Hakumen, Azrael, Terumi, Jin, and back to Kokonoe.

My problem is that eventually I will get to a roadblock where I either know most of the character shown aboves combos or bread n butters but I just cannot seem to get wins. Even after playing for hours on end as well as staying in training mode. Not sure what I am doing wrong (I'd be happy to play someone for criticism even or someone who has played me before, please feel free to critique my playstyle.) I want to get better.

With Kokonoe, I can do most of her combos in training mode (in theory.) Then I go online or to my local group of friends and get rekt....

With Ragna, I can usually do pretty good online and keep the basic combos going but when it comes to the more advanced ones involving 22C, I drop them every single time even after practicing them in training mode for hours.

With Azrael, I kind of feel predictable and it usually shows. I either dominate the match or get rekt.

With Jin, I have no idea what I am doing outside of the basic bread n butter combos.

With Terumi, I feel extremely predictable and usually either get demolished or control the match. Pro's rek me.

With Hakumen, I feel predictable again and I am not really sure how else to approach him. I really liked Hakumen but he does feel really sluggish.

TL;DR -

Anyways, I guess what I am asking after all of the rambling : Who would be a good character to pick up out of those characters or another one similar to those characters who has relatively easy to learn bread n butters and can RTSD (Rush that shit down.)

Thanks for yo time.

( I would also love to find a mentor / sparring partner even if they absolutely destroy me until I get better. I play on a wired 5.9mbps connection in the midwest. )

A complete guess, but perhaps you want to learn more about initialing and neutral game over combos, knowing a bnb won't help if you don't know how to get it.

Of course, just fighting the computer is great for this, insane computers are more efficient than good, so that is my advice.

However, I'm damn bad myself, so don't ask me. I've gotten a 50% ratio in recent online matches...but its more due to luck and practiceAnd this only in the last 30 games played, overall its damn horrible like 19%. Don't go ranked the second you finish the arcade.

Yeah; Learning a character's combos doesn't make you any good with them.  Only playing as them can do that.

Question! What do you answering players think when you face someone new, bad, inexperienced, and other words synonymous with myself.

I was recently at a local tournament thingy, and got to meet a lot of awesome people, really improved myself and talked with some players. Those at or around my level were there and I didn't feel alone, but this and and online play recently begs the question.

What do you think when your up against a newer player? What is giit oing through your head when you putting out those amazing combos or sitting there waiting for me to try something neat?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

In all honesty, I'm out for blood every match. It's nothing personal, but I don't go easy on anyone. When I got into BB, the person who introduced me played Tao and there were no training wheels. Take it like this: the better the people you play, the better a player you become. This ain't Go fish we're playing.

In all honesty, I'm out for blood every match. It's nothing personal, but I don't go easy on anyone. When I got into BB, the person who introduced me played Tao and there were no training wheels. Take it like this: the better the people you play, the better a player you become. This ain't Go fish we're playing.

It depends; if you completely shut someone down they're not going to learn anything.  They have to be able to do something in order to learn.

I have no problem answering questions and sparring lightly with someone I know (with a sub), but with randoms? All bets are off. I got my teeth kicked in playing Extend taking someone lightly. Lesson learned.

It depends; if you completely shut someone down they're not going to learn anything.  They have to be able to do something in order to learn.

They will eventually. I learned this game by being shut down over and over again. It was motivation for me. When my opponents let me get away with stuff I hated it, but it motivated me even more. The same goes for when they picked their subs. It's pointless to sandbag against someone learning. You may help them build confidence, but you'll crush that same confidence when you show them the difference between levels. Anyone serious about getting better has to understand you will lose thoroughly time after time, but eventually you will start to improve.

I'm looking for a character that thrives off of watching your opponent and acting accordingly. I like playing defensively, if that says anything.

I'm looking for a character that thrives off of watching your opponent and acting accordingly. I like playing defensively, if that says anything.

Nu without a doubt. Used to be Hakumen before his operation.

They will eventually. I learned this game by being shut down over and over again. It was motivation for me. When my opponents let me get away with stuff I hated it, but it motivated me even more. The same goes for when they picked their subs. It's pointless to sandbag against someone learning. You may help them build confidence, but you'll crush that same confidence when you show them the difference between levels. Anyone serious about getting better has to understand you will lose thoroughly time after time, but eventually you will start to improve.

I'm not sure you understand what being truly shutdown is.  Plus, eventually learn isn't really a good way, is it?  We want to people to learn at a quick pace and have fun, don't we?  Not torture them for hours upon hours just so they learn the bare basics.  I'm not saying that you should go easy on someone so much as you should give them an opportunity to learn.

Shut down is where at the start of the round you IAD forward into an anti-air and proceed to get murdered in the corner. Basically, you make a mistake, and have no way to recover from it.

We want to people to learn at a quick pace and have fun, don't we?  Not torture them for hours upon hours just so they learn the bare basics.

go play smash scrub

A lot of people don't want to admit that crushing somebody doesn't teach them anything, be it in games or in life.  That whole "sink or swim" approach to education is always, always for the benefit of the educator more so than the student.  You can take the time and effort to teach a kid how to ride a bike, but why bother when you can sit them on one and give them a push down a steep hill into oncoming traffic.  Maybe something will kick in halfway down and they'll reach the bottom knowing how to steer and brake; maybe they'll wipe out and leave a quarter-mile-long streak of blood into the back of a parked van.  Either way, you as the teacher didn't have to do a whole lot and get to take minimum responsibility for their failure.

Nobody is obligated to help strangers become better at a video game, especially one that's meant to be played competitively.  But shoving some newbie into a corner and wailing on them for two rounds won't teach them jack shit, and could very well lead to them getting frustrated and quitting the game.  Either make an honest effort to help new players get better or focus on increasing your win count -- don't do the latter and pretend you're doing the former.