Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hecatom

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Obviously been rumored for a while, but yeah. What's everyone's impressions?

Info from GAF thread.

- Smash bros gameplay confirmed

- HOLIDAY RELEASE

- more news coming at E3 (duh)

- 60 FPS confirmed (nerds)

- multiplayer with options

- 3rd party characters are in

- 3 layers of super for each character

- Looks like life bars instead of numbers

- Hades stage (hades doing things during the fight)

- Buzz stage (get quizzed DURING the fight)

- LBP stage (starts off empty, stage builds as you play)

- Sandover Village stage

- Ratchet and Clank stage with Hydra from GoW

- Patapons doing things to Hades, combining characters for stages

- fat princess

- sly (can turn invisible cuz he stealthy)

- kratos

- Sweet Tooth

- Radec (his 3rd super is going into first person mode and fucking shit up)

- Parappa

Also note that Ed Ma is working on it. He used to be a combat designer at Sony Santa Monica (God of War series). You can see his face on the Superbot website.

Footage here: http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/152?ch=1

Edit: Apparently MAJ is working on it too. High hopes.

the problem is

smash is not a fighting game silly goose

Lineup isn't as classic as Nintendo's was...but here's hoping there's more. (If Cloud Strife shows up it's over...)

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/hit-points-playstation-all-stars/729627

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-226561.phtml

- The team consists of members with extensive backgrounds in fighting and combat titles

- Either the left analog stick or the d-pad controls movement of your character.

- The right stick will let you perform throws, with different ones assigned to each direction.

- The X button jumps, and the other three face buttons are assigned to different attacks.

- L1 blocks and R1 picks up items.

- R2, executes a super move. While fighting, you'll build up a meter that lets you perform a super move that knocks out characters.

- Also, some attacks knock AP (action points) out of opponents, letting others pick them up to fill up these meters. There are three levels of supers, each one stronger than the last, and each requiring another filling of this meter. If you can manage to land hits and survive long enough, a level three super can knock out all other players, earning you points.

- Victory goes to the player with the highest number of KOs; knocking out a character adds to your score while being knocked out subtracts from it.

- So, there's nothing in the way of health bars here, as health doesn't really matter in the long run.

- Most of the matches I played were frantic free-for-alls that had us hitting each other in any way possible in an effort to get those meters filled up.

- get excited about the control, because it's outstanding. SuperBot really nailed it. It's fast, super-responsive, and never gets in the way of the crazy action. The in-air stuff is not floaty at all; jumps do what you need them to, when you need them to. I never had a problem blocking, platforming or recovering.

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/11/03/new-gameplay-details-on-sonys-smash-bros-fighter-exclusive-to-paul-gale-network/

Smash is not a fighting game because while it has situations and Options, it doesn't have resources.

Unless there's items.

So smash with items on is a fighting game. :P

Parappa the Rapper, day 1 buy.

You're all gonna get smashed by my sick-ass rhymes.

C-C-C-C-CHECK AND TURN THE SIGNAL TO THE LEFT LEFT LEFT

the most delicious thing about this is that we already have notorious smashers talking shit, lmao

Too bad SONY/it's studio was probably too stupid to even think about leveraging the obscure fact that the PS3 can support more than 4-players.

I can't imagine this being any good. This is Japanese developer territory, imo. American developers don't seem to have the cultural quirk necessary to create something as fantastic (in the visionary sense) as Smash Bros. Also, Omar keeps harping about how he and his team are from a "fighting game background" - who cares? Ignoring the vagueness of the stated merit - who are you getting to test your game? Who are you listening to for feed back? That's what matters.

Obviously, that's an appeal to people like us. I don't see the precision in controls (for one) that essentially makes a game like Melee as spectacular as it is.

Yeah, considering this is SRK, I'm pretty sure you all just misinterpreted everything I just posted.

Really, I see nothing controversial about being pessimistic in regards to this game at all. Are you really going to dismiss my cynicism towards this purely due to the fact that I like Melee? I haven't even dropped any gavels, yet. I'm just expressing healthy skepticism.

living the stereotype

Every time arguments come up about a Smash type game I always think "Why is it so hard for people to shut up and have fun?"

http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/previews/10445/2/

Now granted, I'm more than just a little snobby when it comes to fighting games. But from a casual perspective, I find it too chaotic and random to be at all fun, and from a competitive standpoint, it's a game so broken that its community had to ban features, characters and stages just to make it viable. Even then, the game's strategic depth is oft questioned by members of the fighting game scene. So when rumors started circulating that Sony was working on their answer to Smash Bros, I almost strained my eyes from rolling them so hard. But after spending over an hour with Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale, not only am I pleasantly surprised, I'm actually giddy with excitement over it. How could that be, considering how much I dislike Smash Bros.? The answer is simple:

Despite some obvious similarities, it's a completely different game.

Now, limiting kills to supers only might sound radical, but it actually opens the game up to a tremendous degree. For one, the fact that getting knocked off a screen edge can't kill you, means that staying at the edges of the screen and controlling space with long range attacks is actually completely viable. For instance, Killzone's Colonel Radec is the kind of character that simply couldn't compete in Smash due to his need to stay far away from opponents. His vast array of sniper rifle, machine gun and grenade launcher attacks are deadly at range, but up close, he's nearly defenseless. With such strong keep away play being introduced, it only made sense to create characters who are skilled at rushing down projectile based characters. Sly Cooper fills that role perfectly. Instead of blocking when you hold L1 he turns invisible, allowing him to prowl the battlefield unnoticed. During another one of his moves he disguises himself as a barrel and moves around. While in this state, he is totally immune to projectiles, allowing him to close in on projectile spammers safely. Once he's a bit closer, he can use his teleport move to instantly appear behind them, where he has access to special backstab attacks that leech AP from his target.

At the competitive level, items had to be banned from Smash due to them adding too much of a random factor to the game and creating unearned match turning opportunities. While talking to Paul Edwards, Battle Royale's lead combat designer, he talked at length about how the team tried to make items less flashy and more purposeful.

“Where our item system differs from 'Smash's is that we designed each of our items around a specific role within the combat system and it wasn't just a unique thing to showcase an IP...the gravity shield is a good example where you just want to be able to set up an opportunity for a super, or get a positional advantage without having to worry about blocking, dodging or rolling. So if that gravity shield is out, and that spear of destiny is out, and you've already got super, you don't need anymore AP. So you grab that gravity shield, run right into the middle of the combat ball, and just pop your super and kill everybody.”

I hope this turns out to be good, I love Parappa and Patapon (sure hope something patapon-ish is playable)

Didn't like the videos I saw though... Fat Princess is waaaay out of character (6 people could barely lift her off the ground, now she's flying around punching people?) and seems like a Peach clone with her moveset... no me gusta.

DIdn't like the fact that one of the stages merged so badly with characters they had to be surrounded by a white line so you can see them... that bothered me more than it should.

Still, hoping to see some cool franchises there, and hoping Cole would be better represented than his SFxT self.

I'd buy it just for Sly Cooper, but I won't be sold until I get more of my favorite characters. Although, I am excited about this, I could care less about it being balanced or competitive, I just want it for the fun aspect, and getting to play the characters I grew up with.

So heres hoping we get Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Spyro, Jak, Sir Daniel Fortesque, The Wanderer and maybe even some Time Splitters characters.

I really hope Crash Bandicoot and Lara Croft will show up. This game would feel off without at least one of them showing up.

I wonder what Sony can do in terms of third party characters for this game?

it has been said that we can expect some 3rd party characters, dunno to what extend we would see, but it would be nice if we get at least characers of the classic psx and ps2 era

Ico or the Wanderer would be awesome. The characters from Folklore or MediEvil would be cool as well. They COULD use Legend of Dragoon characters as well. The rest of the games(that weren't already mentioned) have "meh" characters as far as FG's are concerned.

I'm pretty sure Solid Snake will be in this, the only character to be in both this and actual Smash.

I want Legend of Dragoon, Xenosaga/Gears, Chrono Cross, .hack and DANTE in it.

I'm pretty sure Solid Snake will be in this, the only character to be in both this and actual Smash.

I want Legend of Dragoon, Xenosaga/Gears, Chrono Cross, .hack and DANTE in it.

As unlikely as a Chrono Cross character being in this is, it would leave me stuck in climax face if it really happened.

As unlikely as a Chrono Cross character being in this is, it would leave me stuck in climax face if it really happened.

Can't see why it would be that unlikely. 3rd party games exclusive to the Sony name are fair game.

Can't see why it would be that unlikely. 3rd party games exclusive to the Sony name are fair game.

It's fair game but Sony would be more likely to snag some popular Final Fantasy character from Square Enix opposed to a Chrono Cross character.

It's fair game but Sony would be more likely to snag some popular Final Fantasy character from Square Enix opposed to a Chrono Cross character.

Or they do both, obviously for a generation and a half Square provided their biggest sales lol. I mean PS1 is the second greatest selling console of all time and half of those were due to FF7 alone lol.

Anyway they decided on a final boss for the game and im hoping that it's Sephiroth so that he would be their big FF character, allowing Chrono Cross and/or Xenogears in too.

Where did you hear that a final boss was decided on?

Anyway I hope the roster is large enough to cover as many generations and bases as possible.

It was on GTTV, yknow where they premiered this thing lol. It was on their show and site first.