Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolxBaiken

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle

I'm confused. I was going to buy this game off JP PSN, but I noticed that I don't see DLC for Kira or Fugo, and I see 2 campaign DLCs instead of 3.

EDIT: Actually, I only see one campaign DLC, and it looks like Fugo is free?

I'm confused. I was going to buy this game off JP PSN, but I noticed that I don't see DLC for Kira or Fugo, and I see 2 campaign DLCs instead of 3.

EDIT: Actually, I only see one campaign DLC, and it looks like Fugo is free?

Kira came free with a download code for people who pre-ordered the physical copies (or any first print copy of the game), and online purchases of the full game gave you an extra option to download an unlock code for Kira as well. However, I think the online special only lasted for about a month, since I remember seeing people who bought it online after that saying they no longer saw the unlock code for Kira. More than likely though, I'm expecting CC2 to put him up for sale for late adopters somewhere down the line, probably by the time the final campaign comes out.

I know Fugo was free when he came out, wasn't sure if the special still lasted till now, but that seems to be the case. As for only one campaign DLC being available at the moment, I vaguely remember hearing something about the first 2 campaign DLCs being removed from the store while Campaign 3 was instead packed with Campaign 1 and 2's content (it was the largest of the bunch by far from what I remember).

On a related note, they confirmed in that same recent scan that the DLC character half-off special will last until December 2, so that would presumably cover past both Annasui/Vanilla Ice and Baoh's releases.

To put the chart into numbers (and include the paid DLC characters):-

1050: Ermes (Hermes)

1000: Jonathan, Zeppeli, Joseph, Caesar, Wamuu (Wham), Jotaro, Old Joseph, Avdol (Abdul), Kakyoin, Josuke (Part 4), Koichi, Okuyasu, Rohan, Kira, Kawajiri, Fugo, Jolyne, Gyro, Josuke (Part 8)

950: Lisa Lisa, Polnareff, Hol Horse, Otoishi, Buccellati, Mista, Narancia, Johnny

900: Dio, Esidisi (ACDC), Kars (Cars), DIO, Shigechi, Giorno, Diavolo, Pucci, Valentine

700: Iggy

What did you do to calculate those figures? I've seen other places citing these values below as the health values for the characters, and apparently they had to take into consideration the defense boost characters get when they go into the red/yellow mode when at low health:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rm875v

1144: Hermes

1078: Jonathan, Zeppeli, Joesph, Ceaesr, Wham, Jolyne, Gyro, Jotaro, Kakoyin, Avdol, Josuke, Okuyasu, Koichi, Rohan, Kawjiri, Jo2suke/Gappy

1034: Polnareff, Hol Horse, Akira, Buccellati, Mista, Narnica, Johnny

990: Dio Brando, Cars

968: ACDC, DIO, Giorno, Diavolo, Pucci, Valentine

The half-way point on the life gauge is exactly half of the opponent's total life, so you can pretty easily gauge it by going on Practice Mode and doing a 400-500 damage combo that does a bunch of hits near the end and seeing when the 50% boundary is cleared. These numbers are consistent with the numbers on the Japanese ASB wikis too (although I added the newer DLC characters myself).

The numbers that Japanese player tweeted were probably worked out by testing the damage of a specific normal and seeing how many of them it took to K.O. each character on Versus Mode or something. That method has two pretty large flaws though. First of all, it doesn't take into account the guts that occurs at 30% life. (This is independent of comeback mode activation, by the way. Kakugo (Resolve) Mode characters also trigger guts at 30% life even though Kakugo Mode itself only triggers at 20%. Plus it is entirely possible to prevent a character from entering their comeback mode whatsoever, but guts will still occur.) It's not like the character gets more life from triggering guts, they just take less damage. Second of all, I suspect there were some issues with accidentally calculating recoverable life because Dio and Kars don't have any more actual life than the characters below them.

Edit: Were you the person who posted about my video on SRK, by the way? I can elaborate on that if you want. I have some idea what caused that oddity with Joseph carrying HHA start-up invulnerability through DIO's time stop too.

I see, thanks a lot for the clarification. Just to make sure, do Resolve modes mode trigger any further defense boosts? In fact, is there a list of changes that take effect for the two different modes? I know that damage you deal goes up for the red version, and that the yellow version gives you super armor on attacks, but aside from that I've seen mixed information on what else they do aside from that, and haven't really had a chance to properly test them.

And yeah, I'm the same guy over on SRK who posted the video. If you can elaborate on what happened, that would be great.

No, they don't trigger any further defense boosts as far as I'm aware.

Gogogo (Rumbling) Mode grants an additional 10% damage to all attacks and builds extra Heart Heat Gauge when landing hits. Kakugo (Resolve) Mode grants armour and an additional 20% damage to all attacks and builds extra Heart Heat Gauge when taking hits.

I don't know exactly how much the Heart Heat Gauge bonuses are worth, but they're noticable.

In regards to my video, when I said there was no reversal window, you can't buffer attacks during wake-up or out of hitstun or blockstun. At first it looked like you could buffer a reversal out of blockstun, but in truth you just recover long before your character visably returns to neutral.

When I was looking for setups to give the guard break unblockable some degree of practicality, I tried testing to see if a wake-up GHA could beat meaties at varying distances, and found that I just couldn't reversal out of the meaty at all. To make sure it wasn't some sort of fluke, I tested through pause buffering (if you pause, hold a button, then unpause, that input will occur on the very next frame). Not a single input other than blocking (and by extension, Stylish Move) came out, it didn't even trigger a Counter Hit message when I hit buttons. It would appear that the very first frame you can input a button out of stun is your first neutral frame, but that frame is also the first frame you can take damage, so by the time you hit the button you've already taken the hit. Interestingly, a character appears in their neutral pose for one frame before they're visibly hit by a meaty, but that frame is used for hit detection. If you see that frame and weren't blocking prior, you're already going to be hit, not even blocking will prevent it.

As for the Joseph vs DIO thing, I think what happened was that Joseph returned to neutral on the frame the time stop activated (as in, when the camera pans to DIO) and inputted his HHA on that same frame. Unlike an attack, time stop affecting Joseph on his first frame doesn't function as a "hit" and prevent him from doing the input. I could be wrong, it's just my take on what happened.

Thanks again for the response Ultima. Interesting differences between the two modes, I want to say Resolve sounds more useful for the armour and higher damage (and hence why so few characters have it), though the boost to HHA meter building when getting hit doesn't sound that useful considering how low your health would be at that point anyway.

Good explanation on the wakeup/meaty mechanics. Wasn't even aware of the pause buffering trick, thanks for that, gonna make testing some stuff in practice a lot easier. Kinda disappointed that it seems the wakeup mechanics are designed like that, since that means the defender is pretty much limited against people making good use of meaty setups. And thanks for (trying to) explain the time stop situation anyway.

On another note, I just started playing 1.03 this evening, and noticed a couple things that weren't mentioned in the patch notes: they not only buffed throw damage significantly (Jotaro's now does 140 for instance), but they also fixed the bug where you could tech throws even while you were performing or recovering from a move. Here's a list of what people found so far:

http://williamzeppeli.tumblr.com/post/63701108327/mini-1-3-change-list-observations-nothing

Well as it turns out, Version 1.03 actually fixed the guard break unblockable glitch anyway, so it's all moot.

Aside from the fact that the two videos I uploaded are already obsolete, I'm loving the changes so far. Gravity's back to the way it was, you can attack during early jump frames again, throw damage has been buffed, sweeps now cancel into specials, normals can now cancel into Stand ON at the cost of 1 stock of Heart Heat Gauge, normals can now cancel into GHAs. Lots of good character specific stuff like nerfing DIO and Diavolo's bursts and making time stop crazy fast again.

Edit: Oh, here's an interesting change. If you combo off a throw, all the hits after the throw deal 50% base damage. This even applies to HHAs and GHAs. I also read somewhere that doing multiple taunts in one combo gives the opponent extra invulnerability on wake-up. I guess that means taunt combos are here to stay.

Second edit: I went ahead and tested to see if any characters have had their total life altered, and sure enough, some of them have. Strangely enough though, none of the ones that changed were reflected as such in the patch notes, and the patch notes also seem to indicate that some characters should've been changed, but weren't?

Zeppeli: 1000 -> 950

Caesar: 1000 -> 950

Lisa Lisa: 950 -> 900

Old Joseph: 1000 -> 950

Koichi: 1000 -> 950

Kira: 1000 -> 950

Kawajiri: 1000 -> 950

Giorno: 900 -> 950

Fugo: 1000 -> 950

Valentine: 900 -> 950

This means that the full life value breakdown as of Version 1.03 goes something like this:-

1050: Ermes (Hermes)

1000: Jonathan, Joseph, Wamuu (Wham), Jotaro, Avdol (Abdul), Kakyoin, Josuke (Part 4), Okuyasu, Rohan, Jolyne, Gyro, Josuke (Part 8)

950: Zeppeli, Caesar, Old Joseph, Polnareff, Hol Horse, Koichi, Otoishi, Kira, Kawajiri, Giorno, Buccellati, Mista, Narancia, Fugo, Johnny, Valentine

900: Dio, Lisa Lisa, Esidisi (ACDC), Kars (Cars), DIO, Shigechi, Diavolo, Pucci

700: Iggy

I did all of this testing pretty late so there is a chance that I overlooked something, but there's the gist of it anyway.

Full 1.03 patch notes translation:

http://ls57tiger.freepgs.com/jojo/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=166471#p166471

As well as tentative 1.04 notes translation:

http://ls57tiger.freepgs.com/jojo/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=166506#p166506

Original pages:

http://mirror.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/asb/new8.html

http://mirror.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/asb/new9.html

There's a particular line in the translation that I noticed under the All Characters section, "The frame after a guard allows other actions (I think?)". I wonder if this is related to reversals after blocking? I tried doing wakeup reversals last night, but it's same as how Ultima described it before. Couldn't really test reversal from a block though, so I dunno if anybody wants to try it and see.

If only more people were actually down to play this offline >_>
During the last Rebel Up, there were only at least 3 or 4 people, myself included who were willing to spend time playing. Also, with BBCP coming out, I kind of doubt there'd still be people devoting a portion of their time playing this game which is a shame since the new patch makes the game more enjoyable now, especially since the eventual 1.04 patch further balances the cast even more plus makes them more diverse. :(

I dunno, JoJo is a simple enough game to not take too much time from BBCP. Maybe it's just me maining combo-light characters, but I don't really have to spend too much time in the lab, just having one meet-up every 2-4 weeks is enough to scratch my JoJo itch and have a good time.

Most of norcal seems extremely disinterested in it to the point where its not about not wanting to put the time in, like SoWL is saying, but rather just opting not to play it at all.

I think people are just not wanting to play it because they're unfamiliar with it. Maybe if they had the game, they would be more comfortable with it.

A few people in Perth are at least somewhat willing to play because of my sheer determination to get people to play, but I don't think anyone's got any intention of being serious with it until the English release.

Enjoying 1.03. Now I can again do instant overhead mix mix up on wake up with jolyne along with crossing up with her web during oki.

random question--haven't gotten to play with people yet since 1.03 came out-- what did they do to reversals/the reversal window? I thought I remember seeing that they changed something related to it but can't seem to find anything concrete.

changing stuff related to reversals sounds dangerous :x

Closest I could find related to reversals was this line in the translation talking about frames after guarding:

"The frame after a guard allows other actions (I think?)"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/676176-jojos-bizarre-adventure-all-star-battle/67458746

http://mirror.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/asb/new8.html

Don't think I ever saw that line clarified, everything else seemed straightforward.