Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC

[P4A] Chie Satonaka - Gameplay Discussion

Updated the first half of the frame data in the Data Thread(normals)-- someone else filled out the wiki quite a bit too. I'll be filling out the specials in the data thread in a bit.

You should double check the wiki as well. I pretty much just used the official frame data but it has some typos in it and you would probably be better than me at spotting them for Chie. The only one I noticed for her was the AoA C and D finisher damages being wrong.

I'll have to do some fact checking for damage numbers and record some of the meter gain while I'm at it. Unfortunately I don't have access to the game right now so it'll have to wait.

I definitely did speak too vaguely and inaccurately. I readily admit the mix-up potential is still there, if not better mid-screen than in the corner. In my puny defense, there's no denying the reward is worse. JBB on hit will always result in more damage for oki or 236236C/D in the corner, especially if catching a croucher. About the only 5D mix-up that stays consistent in or out of the corner (with a cross-up leaving Tomoe on the other side) is 2A > 5AA > 5B > 5C > 2B > 2C > 5B > 2AB. A successful mix-up after a blocked jumping mix-up will also lead into far more damage in the corner (5AB, 2A > 5A stagger, 214D, JC, J.3D, JB > 236AB > 236B, 2AB > 236236A).

I do suppose there's not much reason to give up Tomoe pressure at all if you can't end the round or put them damn near KO.

Agreed.

Ivysaur showed me a really cool CH-Oki combo today that gives more corner carry than the one I've been using + a little more damage:

5B(CH) 2D dash 2B 5C 236B 5B j.BB j.8D AoA

Ivysaur showed me a really cool CH-Oki combo today that gives more corner carry than the one I've been using + a little more damage:

5B(CH) 2D dash 2B 5C 236B 5B j.BB j.8D AoA

Very good! I'd be interested to know the numbers on that. For reference, the old combo's numbers:

5B (CH) > 2D > 66 5B > 2B > 5C > JC > JBB > J.8D > 5AB (0%@3,657)

I don't play P4A anymore or I'd grab it out of storage and check the numbers myself :(

Also, a question to Arc System vets: I really, really love Chie in this game. Everything about her is perfect. The new trend in my friend list is the new Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus. I'm really on the fence about getting it, but I've heard this Jam character is very similar to Chie? How similar is she? Oki oriented? If not Jam, is there anyone really similar to Chie for me to try out?

There isn't really a character in GG similar to Chie. You could say Jam is close just because of her character style, but playstyle is pretty different. Chie is very aggressive and has great oki, Jam is slightly more punish-based and has fairly weak oki. Most of the oki characters in GG are kind of difficult to play, like Dizzy, Testament, Eddie.

Does anyone have good training mode tips for practicing AA with Chie? The consensus seems to be that 2B is her go-to AA but I am not being very successful with it. Perhaps there's some timing I need to learn?

Whoa, somehow I missed this post. Chie doesn't have a lot of good anti-airs honestly. If you can't jab someone out of the air try using j.A to stick out a normal faster than theirs. 2B is an okay anti air against some moves or if they're scared to press a button.

I have a lot of stuff coming as far as content but I've been really busy with life and getting ready for NEC. I should have time after NEC for sure.

I should be if I can work the bus system, otherwise I dunno how I'm getting there. Maybe taxipool.

I'll be pretty easy to spot since my hitbox is actually working for this tournament!

http://iplaywinner.com/fighting-game-images/persona-4-arena-chie-colors/

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l288/raijutag/Persona%204%20Player%20Stream/ChieAlternateColors.jpg

What colors do you guys like to run? Me, I run DLC color orange (Makoto's color) with nigh brown Tomoe, the last allowable color for use online.

I run the orange hair with orange Tomoe. Extra spunky.

I'm trying to do instant skull cracker after JBB and I keep getting the glow from EX but no skull cracker comes out...can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Can someone have any advice to improve my neutral with Chie. I find myself being out poked a lot and not being able to get in.

Her dash is quick and she can use 2A to low profile some really good pokes. Her jumping game is no slouch, throwing out JA is godly as you can do whatever you want on block or hit, JB leads into a nice CH combo, and JC messes with anti-airs if used to stall in air. She's also got 5C dash canceled, which, while risky due to its recovery, does have excellent range and on counter-hit gives a free combo. 214C/D/CD can work somewhat well too.

Say you know, for sure, that your opponent likes to neutral/down tech after a D Dragon Kick and press buttons (not invincible ones). How best would you counter that?

I'm trying to do instant skull cracker after JBB and I keep getting the glow from EX but no skull cracker comes out...can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Now I'm even more confused because I could swear I've gotten it to happen sometimes while doing the exact same thing as getting the glow and no skull cracker

Now I'm even more confused because I could swear I've gotten it to happen sometimes while doing the exact same thing as getting the glow and no skull cracker

If you see the blue flash, you're already doing half of it correctly. To have Skull Cracker come out all you do is input 236B when you touch the ground. So you end up doing two 236 inputs in total.

oooh ok >_> I could get the glow no problem but when it wasn't working I would follow up with 236A or B...

my oki is now complete

Might as well ask this since it's been bothering me lately. Is there a minimum jump height required before you can perform attacks in the air? Often times when I'm practicing the usual j > air dash > j.BB after 5DD/2DD lockdown, there are just some times when Chie doesn't do anything when I press B while airdashing. Pretty annoying since the lower you are to the ground before airdashing, the hard the mixup is to read. Any tips on consistently nailing the airdashes at a height where j.B will actually come out immediately after airdashing?

I'm pretty sure you're just mistiming the j.BB. If the airdash is coming out, you should be able to do j.B. Try pressing B almost at the same time as airdash.

Also, you don't need to input 236 twice for the raw SB skullcracker. You can do 236AB~B and the skullcracker should come out fine.

Might as well ask this since it's been bothering me lately. Is there a minimum jump height required before you can perform attacks in the air? Often times when I'm practicing the usual j > air dash > j.BB after 5DD/2DD lockdown, there are just some times when Chie doesn't do anything when I press B while airdashing. Pretty annoying since the lower you are to the ground before airdashing, the hard the mixup is to read. Any tips on consistently nailing the airdashes at a height where j.B will actually come out immediately after airdashing?

I assume when you air dash in this way, you're "falling" into the opponent, right? That means you did it too low to the ground. You shouldn't have to worry about the mix-up being too hard to read a little higher than right next to the ground, we humans can't react to air dash JBB or empty jump 2A, especially because they occur at the same time (so no option select blocking).

I assume when you air dash in this way, you're "falling" into the opponent, right? That means you did it too low to the ground. You shouldn't have to worry about the mix-up being too hard to read a little higher than right next to the ground, we humans can't react to air dash JBB or empty jump 2A, especially because they occur at the same time (so no option select blocking).

I only ask because I'm finding on the smaller characters like Naoto, their hurtboxes while crouching are really inconsistent when it comes to hitting with airdash j.B. If I air dash too high above the ground, j.B completely whiffs over a crouching Naoto's head. Too low to the ground, and j.B won't come out at all.

I've got some new recording equipment on the way; hopefully I can visually demonstrate what I'm struggling with.

I think I understand what you're talking about. If you air dash low to the ground into an opponent, you'll dash kind of at an angle, and you won't be able to attack normally (though I think you can attack once as you start to fall to the ground). I think the only way around this is to just practice the normal height, though you can do jump back mix-ups to alleviate this, IE instead of jump forward airdash JBB or empty jump 2A, you can do jump back airdash JBB or jump back air turn backdash 2A.