Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[P4A] Akihiko Video, Critique & Discussion Thread

Jeez, seems like everyone is on a P4A break and on dat UNIB and GG. I decided to search Kubo n shit on youtube and got lucky! CHECK DIS OUT.....

Team Yukiko vs Team Akihiko/Kubo

There's 3 parts, but I think it'll auto play 'em anyway.

I will post urls later but I am an Akihiko player that is good enough and has taken 3rd place in a 2v2 tournament

I have matches up on YouTube against many chars I beat from Aigis,Mitsuu,Yukiko, and others

YouTube channel is

YouTube.com/user/blackstar21595

I will post urls later but I am an Akihiko player that is good enough and has taken 3rd place in a 2v2 tournament

I have matches up on YouTube against many chars I beat from Aigis,Mitsuu,Yukiko, and others

YouTube channel is

YouTube.com/user/blackstar21595

I don't really like to ask for critiques but Im kind of getting to a point where it's hard to noticeably improve on my own and I happen to have a recording of one of my recent matches that represents my current level of play fairly accurately.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgS5-CrEBjw

-too many dropped combos

-too much not being able to react to things quickly enough

-too much focus spent on what Chie was doing rather than what I was doing (aka 9001 EX crossup attempts in a row without realizing it)

anything else?

other than "stop being bad" of course

There are some other matches of mine by that uploader from previous months but they are beyond terrible

I don't really like to ask for critiques but Im kind of getting to a point where it's hard to noticeably improve on my own and I happen to have a recording of one of my recent matches that represents my current level of play fairly accurately.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgS5-CrEBjw

-too many dropped combos

-too much not being able to react to things quickly enough

-too much focus spent on what Chie was doing rather than what I was doing (aka 9001 EX crossup attempts in a row without realizing it)

anything else?

other than "stop being bad" of course

There are some other matches of mine by that uploader from previous months but they are beyond terrible

I'm not what you would call a "good" Akihiko player, but you suffer from the same thing I do, you respect people too much, by that I mean you let that Chie player slap DP too many times. I do it myself a lot because I think "he surely wouldn't want to eat a fatal combo," but I just recommend playing more patiently, which is very hard when playing Akihiko because it takes away from the momentum.

Hey, figured I would throw up a couple replays looking for critique. I haven't been playing that long, but I figured any critique to correct bad habits now is better than later.

The biggest problem matches I have found are Kanji, Mitsuru, and Aigis. Unfortunately I haven't encounted many Aigis players online and don't have any replays.

Kanji - If i ever move out of that sweet spot and he uses a cruel attack that I block, I find that it's a 50/50 that I almost never win. Either he hits and immediately grabs me, or I try to jump away and he catches me with a 5a, and gets me with a full combo anyway...

Mitsuru - I don't know if I have terrible luck, or Mitsuru's I fight just never fall for a DP bait. I basically end up blocking low and and just waiting till I can get a shot, and even then really good Mitsuru's don't ever offer me much of one. or I get baited to try and beat out a move with my jab, but I don't think I've ever managed to win that. I've tried to sway to avoid her normals, but if they just stay on me, I never feel safe to try it. I guess I should just grind this matchup till i can get IB's down for her?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H6I8qqe-3M Vs Kanji

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjZNUiNBwMk Vs Mitsuru

Any Critique or pointers is much appreciated.

Also sorry for the absolutely terrible quality videos, no capture software means I have to fall back on phone video... :(

That Kanji loves to jump. Stop randomly doing Kill Rush against him. Use that time instead to prepare for a counter for when he keeps doing j.5B, like countering with a 2B or a B Parry. You can also just run underneath him as he keeps jumping away, then super jump and grab his ass or fish for a counter with j.5A. Replace those random Kill Rushes with a properly spaced 5C/2C. Using 5C/2C as a footsies tool, aside from j.5C, is really important. Kill Rush is still important in this matchup for closing distance and punishing whiffs, but don't do it randomly. When he does his blockstrings against you, instant block as much as you can and A Parry > A Corkscrew in-between his blockstrings. One last thing, crouch a lot when in neutral game, because it's easier to react to j.5B than his aerial command grab.

Against Mits, stop mashing 2A blindly. You can mash 2A after successfully blocking (preferably instant blocking) Coup Droit, but don't do it all the time, and make sure to confirm when to stop mashing, like when she holds 5B to fish for a fatal. Also, one thing a lot of Mitsuru's like to do is j.5C, land, Coup Droit. If you see them doing that at a certain distance, get ready to D Duck through the Coup Droit once she lands. 1:24 would be an example of where you could've done a Duck.

To clarify, these are tips on those matches you had with those folks. They aren't utilizing all of their character's strengths, either because they don't know how to, or they are capitalizing on your weaknesses. Once you fight better Mitsurus and Kanjis, you'll find them doing much more annoying tactics. Kanji will start using 5B for frametraps during his blockstrings, Mitsuru will fish for counters with j.5A and 5A, and approach you with 5A > Sweep. Both of them won't let go of you once they have you in a blockstring.

General Akihiko advice would be to have more solid mixups. Don't just EX Weave and then mash 2A, you have to know when it's best to use a certain mixup.

Here are some good Akihiko videos:

This is Domi (I made a mistake, I don't think he's the Top PSR Akihiko as I commented in the video lmfao):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMRUxYrswGM&t=2m55s

This is about 40 mins of Kubo vs a really good Mitsuru (subscribe to BanchouJP if you already haven't):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em38Cg9pgDY

This is a really good Akihiko (might be Domi). Watch him throughout the video, as he appears a couple more times after the time link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSTXD1CKW4&t=36m40s

If you want, I can show you some stuff on PSN.

Sorry for delayed reply.... but I would greatly appreciate any tips or advice to improve. I kinda have broke the killrush habit at this point, but for sure I feel like I mash 2A out of block strings too much (As well as using J.C at times that aren't as safe as I think they are).

I will add you at some point in the next few days and look forward to getting some advice from a more experienced Aki.

New Moke footage from Banchou's channel (top PSR Akihiko in arcade iirc) with Doubt, one of the Narukami gods in Japan.

It's 30 mins, so grab a meal and get watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNmx8h65-o

That OMC fatal corner combo he does is nuts. I didn't know how to maximize damage off those, but Jesus. Adding a super towards end gives it 8318 Dmg for 75 meter. 6788 with only 25 meter.

I find Narukami to be a very annoying MU, so I'll be analyzing this to the bone. Thanks a ton!

He just shuts down Doubt's offense like it's a joke, making Doubt go like "DID THAT DWEEB JUST DO THAT?" Made me bust out laughing a couple times lmfao.

Maybe a match-up video series? Like clips of what to do against characters like Yu, Mitsuru, etc. Basically, the first part of your video, except extended.

Also, I got a question. Where do folks like BanchouJP and Jourdal get their vids from? Like, the JPN PSN videos, so I won't have to wait forever for a youtube release D:

I thought BanchoJP recorded and upload the matches personally.

Jourdal gets out from nico.

Ohh, that explains how Banchou has vids that no one else has. Darn it, guess I'll scroll nico or just wait it out on youtube lmfao. Thanks mang.

Congrats to Skye for making top 16 at UFGT9! I'm not the best at giving critique or advice, but a few things I noticed really costed you a few games. Not finishing combos that would've killed and poorly timed bursts against both Lizs hurt pretty bad. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the MU but after blocking 5C if they don't 2C you can break it fairly easily. Against Kobayashi he was getting away with a lot of free 5Cs at the spacing where he wouldn't be able to punish you if you dashed in to break it.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/408127220

BTW do you plan on going to EVO?

Yo thanks guys! I know I super fucked up, because I didn't know the liz MU. I did learn quite a few things though, I'll write 'em up later.