Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urichinan

[P4A] Shadow Labrys - Player Critiquing Thread

Main_Header_Critique_Thread.png

NOTE: This is not a tactic or gameplay discussion thread, do not post anything that isn't relative to videos posted here. This thread is for player critiquing only. Combos and general discussion need to be taken to their respective threads.

Post videos of you or your friends playing Shadow Labrys for critiquing by fellow Dustloop players.

Posting Rules:

• Do not flame, troll or insult other people on their skills.
  • Do not post videos that are not of you or someone you know playing.
  • Do not post videos of other players without their permission to be critiqued.
  • Do not post anything that is off-topic.
  • Light gameplay discussion is aloud, but only discussion relative to a player/video. (Example: You may talk about Shadow Labrys' oki setups when trying to help a player learn how to work against a downed opponent.)
  • Do not discuss videos that have not been posted in this thread.
  • Do not post videos of you playing a character that is not Shadow Labrys.

Continuously breaking the rules will result in infractions or temporary bans.

Well, I've only really watched through the first video right now, but for now:

Well, you do actually seem to be quite good, so that's refreshing. One thing I would note, is that you seem to chain to sweep in situations where it's really not safe. It usually pays off for you, but you should note that sweep is actually -6, and when you do it close to the opponent, most people can jab you on normal block. It's fine if you cover it with Asterius, which will also let you easily combo near the corner, but often you don't. I've noticed times where you could've covered yourself, but I think you were trying to be cautious and avoid them possibly breaking a card if they read you... Which is both good and bad, but in those situations specifically could be punishable if the opponent knew to do so.

You missed a lot of punish opportunities against the Yu in the first video. It's important to note that you can't generally get a combo off of reversal DP CH > Titan because Asterius won't be there for you to cancel at a timing when that combo can work; that's something that works when you're calling your opponent out at neutral, but other than that... Well, also DP > Titan on block doesn't save you at all. A better "!!! ESCAPE" string on block is DP > 5C > 214214A, I generally find; They can bait it if they know what you're doing, but it is at least going to get you to neutral if they block the super. At about 8:30 you blocked a DP and didn't run under him, so he could super cancel to punish your punish. He turned that into his win, when you had a commanding lead and could've taken it.

Also against Yu, I don't really get, sometimes you go for command grab reset but then jump? That's something that can work against some people to bait DP if you think they'll read an air unblockable, but against Yu his DP is air unblockable, so... I don't get what you're going for.

Other than that, your play looks fairly solid, just make sure not to accidentally OMC anything, tighten up your resets, and don't drop your combos, lol.

http://www.twitch.tv/mtlsf/b/333114336?t=18m50s onwards. tournament nerves, a few bad burst baits in there too, probably too many DPs, besides that I'm not too sure where to go, advice really appreciated.

Against the labrys player, her dp was killing you. If you feel like she's gonna do that then u can evade step or you can use your dp to beat out her dp.

I would use 214C/D more often when the command grab and 5c fails. They will get hit at some point. U dropped some combos off of the command grab and 8c. just use your 214b when u combo of those moves and be lazy. u still get the knockdown. Sometimes CA is better than dp for avoiding pressure.

Against Mitsuru: thats just a dumb matchup lol. you basically just gotta get feel for when your opponent is gonna mash and go from there.

Playing lame with 5b 2b 2c works better until you can start building momentum. u can punish whiffed droids with jb

I would learn her ch dp combo into 8c for 2.1k. U could of won one of the matches if you used it. Or you can just not combo of the dp and get full control of your opponent for the asterios mix-up. Its what i do cuz im lazy but i don't recommend it. don't drop combos but we all do. i know i do. work on oki

matches were fun to watch though and u did good

http://www.twitch.tv/nygamer/b/333209022

Around 8:47:00 and onward...

What can I improve upon? I feel I should get a good handle on a Titanomachia combo, maybe use more buffalo hammer/2A (I also DP'd a little too much here)... but what else? Any advice? :)

I would greatly appreciate it.

Its good to know her awakening combos but i wouldn't rely on them. don't dp that much. u only have 8k health. work on combos and resets. use her 214c/d more often. try and find opponents that know the how to fight against shadow labrys. its easier for me to get adivce that way.

just keep playing her and you'll get better. u can zone with 5b 2b 2c. akihiko can anit air jb with his 2b. couldn't watch anything else cuz my netbook boo boo.

@Chickzama: Command Grab, it can be very valuable in some match-ups like Labrys. anytime you can end with the air guillitine you can do three setups for mixup: command grab, laser, or fist. Generally you seem to just use the fist for mixups and while if it hits raw it does a large amount of damage you generally won't get a knockdown into another mixup from that. The laser is easier to confirm off of and if they block the laser you can do a high/low mixup while you are hidden in the flame.

You tend to get broken alot in matches, throwing out 2C full screen can let characters like Yu, Mitsuru, and others to hit him and take a card. Characters with a fast run speed can run in and hit him while he is recovering, the yosuke player did that a few times and that takes a card and leaves you without that move for a second. If you want to use 2C often it is a good idea to cover him by simply being in front so projecties like chain-knuckle will be blocked by you. As far as strings go remember that 2B can chain to 5B and vice versa, as for Asterius you can use 5C, 2C, and the laser to make it safe as well as allow you to continue pressure.

Titanomachia can be good to start pressure but think on what inputs you'll use, also be mindful of whether you get to do it off CH dp. Meter generally won't be used for EX's in some cases so its either for supers or OMC's to continue mixups. While Challenge Authority D is not used often don't forget these 2 things: its only -4 on block and even if Asterius gets hit you will be invulnerable throughout the animation. Brutal Impact A is very fast and invincible, but unsafe on block if Asterius doesn't cover you with 5C, 2C, or laser.

Long story short I would advise practicing command grab setups and be more cautious when using 2C to avoid getting persona broken.