Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urichinan

[P4A] Shadow Labrys - Q&A/F.A.Q - Ask a question, get an answer here.

Hi, I have a question on a combo.

I am trying to do this combo: 5AA > 214A+B > 214214C(2C > 5C) > Dash > 2A > 5B > (2C Hits) > j.B > j.214B > (5C Hits) 214214 > Titanomachia End > ]B[

The opponent always seems to tech out after the j.B for me though and never gets hit by the j.214B. I've tried doing it later and earlier with the same result, so I think it's a spacing issue, but I still can't quite figure it out, even with the video (which is a great idea btw). Any help on this would be most appreciated, thanks!

I am trying to do this combo: 5AA > 214A+B > 214214C(2C > 5C) > Dash > 2A > 5B > (2C Hits) > j.B > j.214B > (5C Hits) 214214 > Titanomachia End > ]B[

The opponent always seems to tech out after the j.B for me though and never gets hit by the j.214B. I've tried doing it later and earlier with the same result, so I think it's a spacing issue, but I still can't quite figure it out, even with the video (which is a great idea btw). Any help on this would be most appreciated, thanks!

You need to do j.B > j.214B as fast as possible, and make sure you don't dash too far before you do 2A. Watch the video and try to get it as close as possible to the timing shown.

The opponent shouldn't tech out after the j.B, since it happens between hits of 2C. However, the j.214B will be dropped if you don't do it swiftly enough, as it's meant to hit just after the last hit of 2C. The timing on this is fairly lenient, and the spacing is lenient too; as long as the opponent is hit by 2C, it should work. I suspect your problem is that you're not doing j.B fast enough, since in general delaying too much will make 2A not hit at all. Try to hit with 5B and hold up-forward, and practice getting j.B to come out as soon as possible. That's really what it comes down to. You can actually do stuff a bit earlier than the video shows, and have them fly forward a short bit before being tagged by 2C, and that's still valid as long as you can get j.214B to hit just barely after the last hit of 2C.

Thanks for the help Urichinan! I wasn't canceling the j.214B fast enough and that's what was causing it to drop.

What are good ways to make use of Asterius' Massive Slaughter? (His grab)

Well, the most common is the so-called gulp trap, perhaps only called that by me. After a knockdown, Massive Slaughter is timed to hit the opponent as their throw-invulnerable frames end on wakeup, such that they have two options: Jump, and risk being air-unblockabled into a reset, or reversal, which can generally be dealt with in any number of ways, or specifically avoiding certain counters. Done sparsely, and the opponent will periodically actually be grabbed by it, which you can always turn into another reset, and it's a great tool in the corner. Unfortunately, Teddie's basically immune to this, since it's trivial to defend against with his counter which is unpunishable if it activates. Beyond that, if the opponent is full screen, it's really good after Titanomachia D, since it does quite resemble 8C with its disappearing. And CD Massive Slaughter is something you can just use from neutral in many situations, since it won't be interrupted by you blocking or Asterius being hit by anything other than a super, and it comes out really quickly, which again you can easily turn into a reset.

That's basically the extent of how I use it.

What are good ways to make use of Asterius' Massive Slaughter? (His grab)

Be a shithead, keep reading their techs and loop into the tomo(command throw) setup. Not many characters can deal with it outside of using meter, some can't deal with it at all, and others don't care about it(Kuma).

EDIT: Forgot to mention there's other setups you can do with it but they're usually not as good in my opinion. There's also 214214D gimmicks like what Adelheid said.

That was really informative. That was pretty much the only move I didn't know how to fully use; going to test some things out when I get home. Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

I think that the Massive Slaughter attack is more useful with rushdown characters, like Chie or Akihiko even Mitsuru sometimes, the CD version interrupts just everything, testing on the overused EX Kill Rush or Mitsuru's Coup Droit. Mostly used to set traps and be more unpredictable with your use on Asterios.

There are a number of combos off of counter hit that I see in the combo thread. What moves of hers can use you to counter hit?

There are a number of combos off of counter hit that I see in the combo thread. What moves of hers can use you to counter hit?

Any move can be used to counterhit; the move that way a counterhit puts the opponent into increased hitstun, allowing moves to be done afterwards that wouldn't combo normally. As for moves of Shadow Labrys that are particularly better on counterhit, 5B and 2B both cause Fatal Counter, meaning hitstun done for every move in the combo is increased by a small amount, in addition to the large hitstun boost for the first hit, and her Furious Action causes the opponent to wallbounce on counterhit.

So I was wondering what are some good block strings to lay on the pressure, and what should I be doing for oki? Also, I could use just about any information I can get for improving myself as a Shadow Labrys player.

So I was wondering what are some good block strings to lay on the pressure, and what should I be doing for oki? Also, I could use just about any information I can get for improving myself as a Shadow Labrys player.

She doesn't have any good blockstrings that are safe, but mixing together all of her normals are a pretty good way to lay on the pressure. The problem is, you can DP (Or even just mash) out of all her strings, so there isn't any one particular string you can do that's safe. With her you have to keeping things fresh, so they have to think about when they're punishing. Go 5A > 5B and next time go 5A > Jump, then go 5A > 2A+B or 5A > Guillotine Axe A, etc.

Also make sure you use Asterios to keep use safe during pressure by having him strike between hits.5A > 5B(5C) > 2A+B > 5C Hits is one example, or j.B(5C) > 5A > 5B > 5C Hits and others like those. You can mix in Buffalo Hammer to hit low while you continue pressure, or setup unblockables during a string. Just be cautious about it, because she's still not safe.

For oki there are many, many setups that can be done. Do the laser (236C/D) and start mixing them up with crossups, rolls, IAD's, 2A, 2A+B, Guillotine Axe, safe jumps or fake crossups. You can do almost anything you want during this, but picking up a combo off your mix up can be difficult some times. For the most part you are safe during laser oki, but you can still be DP'd during it if it hits in a weird spot when they tech, or they're airborne and fall into it, slide through it, or get pushed out of the laser, etc.

You can use 5C to try and push them to the corner. 5C Allows for one or two mixups total, and can't really be hit-confirmed mid-screen if you aren't sandwiching the opponent between Asterios and yourself. 5C is used mainly for corner oki, but is really strong for crossups and overhead meaties, as well as making yourself safe during pressure. Mid-screen 5C > IAD is a great way to mixup the opponent on wakeup, most people can't catch you out of the airdash, and they have to block 5C or get hit for a combo. If it's blocked you can start a mixup.

You can use 2C as an anti-air setup for people who like to jump out of pressure on wakeup, do 2C and distance yourself with 5B, 2B and 2A+B. Since it doesn't hit crouchers, and often only hits standing opponents 2-3 times, you can't apply pressure very safely during this, but you can use is to keep people on the ground, and try for a mixup using Shadow Labrys alone.

You can use Massive Slaughter as a ground covering option. Since it's a command grab it has to either be jumped, or you need to hit Asterios or Shadow Labrys to make it stop. You can roll through it because throws catch them, and you can't block it because it's a command throw. This is a strong part of her oki game since most people will always try to jump or DP through this. For people that like to jump a lot you can go for the 2B trap, where you delay a 2B after Massive Slaughter. If they don't jump Massive Slaughter grabs them and you can combo afterwards, if they jump 2B will catch them on the way up as a unblockable and you can lead back to the same trap, or a different one. Mid-screen you can go for crossups during Massive Slaughter, but you can't go for pressure. Since you can't be grabbed during hitstun, Massive Slaughter will whiff during pressure, unless you have a large gap for it to hit during.

There is a whole lot of things she can do as oki, and she is mostly based around it. Watch JP videos on from the video threads here on Dustloop and take notes. Watch their setups, and watch how they handle different situations.

She doesn't have any good blockstrings that are safe, but mixing together all of her normals are a pretty good way to lay on the pressure. The problem is, you can DP (Or even just mash) out of all her strings, so there isn't any one particular string you can do that's safe. With her you have to keeping things fresh, so they have to think about when they're punishing. Go 5A > 5B and next time go 5A > Jump, then go 5A > 2A+B or 5A > Guillotine Axe A, etc.

Also make sure you use Asterios to keep use safe during pressure by having him strike between hits.5A > 5B(5C) > 2A+B > 5C Hits is one example, or j.B(5C) > 5A > 5B > 5C Hits and others like those. You can mix in Buffalo Hammer to hit low while you continue pressure, or setup unblockables during a string. Just be cautious about it, because she's still not safe.

For oki there are many, many setups that can be done. Do the laser (236C/D) and start mixing them up with crossups, rolls, IAD's, 2A, 2A+B, Guillotine Axe, safe jumps or fake crossups. You can do almost anything you want during this, but picking up a combo off your mix up can be difficult some times. For the most part you are safe during laser oki, but you can still be DP'd during it if it hits in a weird spot when they tech, or they're airborne and fall into it, slide through it, or get pushed out of the laser, etc.

You can use 5C to try and push them to the corner. 5C Allows for one or two mixups total, and can't really be hit-confirmed mid-screen if you aren't sandwiching the opponent between Asterios and yourself. 5C is used mainly for corner oki, but is really strong for crossups and overhead meaties, as well as making yourself safe during pressure. Mid-screen 5C > IAD is a great way to mixup the opponent on wakeup, most people can't catch you out of the airdash, and they have to block 5C or get hit for a combo. If it's blocked you can start a mixup.

You can use 2C as an anti-air setup for people who like to jump out of pressure on wakeup, do 2C and distance yourself with 5B, 2B and 2A+B. Since it doesn't hit crouchers, and often only hits standing opponents 2-3 times, you can't apply pressure very safely during this, but you can use is to keep people on the ground, and try for a mixup using Shadow Labrys alone.

You can use Massive Slaughter as a ground covering option. Since it's a command grab it has to either be jumped, or you need to hit Asterios or Shadow Labrys to make it stop. You can roll through it because throws catch them, and you can't block it because it's a command throw. This is a strong part of her oki game since most people will always try to jump or DP through this. For people that like to jump a lot you can go for the 2B trap, where you delay a 2B after Massive Slaughter. If they don't jump Massive Slaughter grabs them and you can combo afterwards, if they jump 2B will catch them on the way up as a unblockable and you can lead back to the same trap, or a different one. Mid-screen you can go for crossups during Massive Slaughter, but you can't go for pressure. Since you can't be grabbed during hitstun, Massive Slaughter will whiff during pressure, unless you have a large gap for it to hit during.

There is a whole lot of things she can do as oki, and she is mostly based around it. Watch JP videos on from the video threads here on Dustloop and take notes. Watch their setups, and watch how they handle different situations.

Alright. Well noted. I appreciate it. I'll definitely be watching videos and taking notes.~

So I just got the game and decided to try out Shadow Labrys simply due to her playstyle. In regards to combos, I'm not too sure how quickly I should be pressing C or D after one of her normals. Should I be pressing it in a normal rhythm, simultaneously or piano the buttons? I guess it might depend on the combo.

Also, I looked through the combo thread and noticed that her "main" bnbs (ones in purple font) may do less damage than others in the same category. Is there a particular reason people may not go for her highest damaging combo if the opportunity is there? Only reason I can think of is positioning but some combos have the same ender.

So I just got the game and decided to try out Shadow Labrys simply due to her playstyle. In regards to combos, I'm not too sure how quickly I should be pressing C or D after one of her normals. Should I be pressing it in a normal rhythm, simultaneously or piano the buttons? I guess it might depend on the combo.

Also, I looked through the combo thread and noticed that her "main" bnbs (ones in purple font) may do less damage than others in the same category. Is there a particular reason people may not go for her highest damaging combo if the opportunity is there? Only reason I can think of is positioning but some combos have the same ender.

Some of her main combos are setup do to ease of use, for beginners to be looking for. Others are ones that leave her in the best position for the damage given. The ones that are not in purple are either much harder, require specific spacing or don't leave you in a position that you'd want, but deal more damage.

As far as the button pressing goes, it all depends on the combo. In most combos you can just go 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 and he'll hit where he's supposed to, some people are more comfortable doing 1 > 2+3 > 4. Some people like hitting the buttons quickly, and others like hitting them slowly. So long as you time them right, you can use many different methods. For pressure it depends on the timing you want him to hit, and that's how you have to hit the buttons. If you want him to hit with 5C after 2A > 5B > 2A+B as soon as 2A+B recovers then you'll want to hit 5C along with 5B, if you want it to hit slightly after you start recovering from 2A+B then input it a little after 5B. It's situation for what method and timing you use.

Any Tips on the timing on j.b dj.b 214b? I keep getting j.bb

If you're getting j.BB then you're either mashing on j.B, or you aren't jumping at the right time after j.B hit.

You want to jump while j.B is hitting and then hit j.B on the way up. You can't mash on either and you have to time them correctly. The goal is to do them as quickly as possible, without mashing on either input.

Set the opponent to jump and practice just j.B > dj.B, and once you have it down do 2B > j.B > j.B, after that CH 5A > 2B > j.B > j.B, then finally 5AA(2C) > (2C Hits) j.B > dj.B.

The reason you want to go through all of those is because the timing gets harder the longer the combo is before it. If you practice the different timing starting from the easiest up to the hardest you should be able to get it more often.

During the super combo with sj 214b etc... the 5c either wiffs or it hits at the same time as my sj 214b any tips? =)

During the super combo with sj 214b etc... the 5c either wiffs or it hits at the same time as my sj 214b any tips? =)

If it's whiffing then you're more than likely doing a highly prorated combo, in which the first hit of j.214B must whiff, otherwise they will tech. If it's hitting at the same time you're doing j.214B too slow during the combo, try doing it quicker.

What do you guys think of (5C) 5A IAD 5C[Crossup] and its variations, like feint IAD crossup?

I generally do it off j.B, but I must input 5C before j.B hits for a nasty crossup.

Reward is pretty good too.

What do you guys think of (5C) 5A IAD 5C[Crossup] and its variations, like feint IAD crossup?

I generally do it off j.B, but I must input 5C before j.B hits for a nasty crossup.

Reward is pretty good too.

It's very strong, but easy to see. Combined with Air Turn > Backwards Airdash for a fake cross-up it can be extremely good. It's major flaws are that it's a slow mixup, and hit-confirming requires you to be behind the opponent when 5C hits. So it has it's uses, and it's flaws.

Quick question from a player who uses normal Labrys.

In your opinion, how easy or difficult is it to transition to Shadow Labby from her normal counterpart? And what things do I need to make note of when I do make that switch? I've been thinking about using Shadow Labrys for a while, but at a possible cost of replacing normal Labrys with her. So at the moment, it's a "maybe" decision for me to use Shadow Labby.

Quick question from a player who uses normal Labrys.

In your opinion, how easy or difficult is it to transition to Shadow Labby from her normal counterpart? And what things do I need to make note of when I do make that switch? I've been thinking about using Shadow Labrys for a while, but at a possible cost of replacing normal Labrys with her. So at the moment, it's a "maybe" decision for me to use Shadow Labby.

Well, the gameplay focus is pretty much completely different. And you'll probably be tripped up by stuff like, the different properties and speeds of the various normals. I think the few similarities they have may actually make it harder to transition between the two than to pick up an entirely separate character would be, since you sorta want more to be similar than is. Still, no one's particularly difficult to learn in this game compared to blazblue, and they're all cake compared to the average guilty gear character. So I don't think you'd encounter any insurmountable problems.