Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A.X.I.S.

[P4A] Kanji Tatsumi Critique Thread "You are not doing it right!"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4D-GdUVC0

Kanji vs Yu

Really need to stop mashing but end up winning somehow.

ProudDisciple on XBL and PSN

www.youtube.com/user/ProudDisciple

You do a lot of follow up cruel attacks late, I thought you were trying to do something cool, but you totally whiffed an ex follow p and wasted 25 sp. You can buffer the follow ups Really early if you don't want to miss them.

You did what I think was a counter assault after a blocked super, I assume you were trying to make them waste the OMC with it, but was done prematurely? You could have just killed him with a chair in response to the superflash. R action would have worked in this case too, but might give him the opportunity to OMC? I might have to check that.

You'd improve your damage by quite a lot if you worked on your confirms. You get a fatal 5C, which is at least 5k for minimal effort that you ended up following up with just 236b. 2B CHs, especially in the situations you got them in are a bit tougher to react to since you have the urge to at least get the 236C, but you can get a fair chunk of damage off of them, the Kanji combo thread has some viable combos for it too, check them out.

You get bursted out of what could have been a lethal combo when you go for a 5C 236B~214B, which ends up costing you the round. Mess around with some alternate combo paths that avoid bursts. In this situation I'd have gone for 236C+D which you could have killed from safely (By comboing it into j.214B if you're being cool). Though I'm only basing that one on experience. I've had people try to burst my burst off of 236236A/B and they'd whiffed, so at the very least it makes bursting difficult.

But you could have killed them by doing 236C with EX cruel attack in that situation. Since they didn't burst immediately (you landed from your burst) they at the very least can not hit you with their burst if you're throwing your persona at them. At somepoint I Think I saw you get an R action and not super cancel it to take the round, iunno maybe not.

In the end game if both players are dying, Softer and safer moves have the advantage. Kanji generally lacking safe or soft things never wants that situation to happen. So confirm kills, combos, and punishes where ever you can. I mean you always should, but it is makes a much bigger difference to Kanji.

Aside from what Osuna said:

Yu is at advantage at his 5B range. Kanji has few direct answers to this move without taking a big risk (if you yomi that he'll 5B though, you can roll through and 214C it). Ideally, you want to stay just outside of 5B range and control space with j.B until you have the opportunity to engage in RPS. Yu's 2B can be beaten by a j.C, but I find that it's riskier to do this compared to other anti-airs, so proceed with caution. The safest way to try to engage his 2B is through a backwards air dash crossup where you are not in front of that fat 2B hitbox, but you want to be high enough that you don't get smacked by the 2B while dashing.

Whenever Yu has 50 meter, after a blocked DP, you should always go under him when possible to avoid his super. Yu can do the super close to the ground to prevent this, but you can roll through it IF you IB the 2nd hit of his DP. That's a little tough to recognize in an actual match though, so it might just be safer to block, even if it resets back to neutral.

If you're fast enough, you can actually DP on reaction to any 214A/214B he attempts to do.

I saw you did a 214D on wakeup against Yu once, this is pointless against him. It will lose to both of his supers and either completely whiff or get hit by his DP. Whatever 214D can accomplish otherwise, 214C/CD can do better.

This Narukami was awful though...

Thanks a lot for your inputs Siefer and Osuna!

Osuna do you mind me asking specifics regarding what to follow into after the FC 5C?

Honestly based on my situation I don't put in any lab time since what little time I do have to play, I prefer spending in matches. Try and learn as I go through trial and error.

I'm not part of a scene and can only rely on netplay. When I can reading up and absorbing what I can from the forums and vids is what I rely on. Just hoping I can remember things to then apply it later once I play.

So I really appreciate to input and am truly grateful.

would like some more help with the mitsuru matchup and also some comments about my gameplay.

first one i do pretty decent but second i got bodied. Most likely i got too impatient on the second one but whatever. Looking forward to your responses!. First, second and third are mitsuru matches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN7lQPpYCX8&feature=g-user-u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX_zpZmP1iw&feature=g-user-u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0KjeWEOIn8&feature=g-user-u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAiRYwoyi_4&feature=g-user-u

Obviously, the combo thread OP would be a great place to look for a good fatal counter combo, so look at those first. These aren't all optimal, but they're pretty good and easy to do (with just a little practice).

Easiest (imo) for just shy of 5k damage would be... FC 5C > 2C > 2B > 236B > 2A > 2B > 236B > 5AA > 236C > 236A/B ... I don't use this one anymore because I learned something better, but this is still a great option. I mean, once you get this much damage, a few hundred isn't going to make much of a difference (hopefully).

What I use now for 5.1K (I'm not at my PS3 right now, so I'm not entirely sure on the EXACT damage) ... FC 5C > 2C > 5B > 2B > 236B > 2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 236B~214B > 236A/B ... It's not too hard once you get used to doing the 5B > 2B input in combos. Think of it as a single input. press the 2B RIGHT AFTER you press 5B. Don't even wait to see it appear on the screen.

Now this isn't very practical because you need to be really close to your opponent (and it's hard as all hell), but if you can somehow get it often, go for it. FC 5C > 2C > 2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 5B > 2B > 236B > 2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 236B~214B >236A/B ... I've only pulled this off ONCE out of like 100 tries in the lab, but damn it's good. Something like 5.7k or 5.8k if I remember correctly. Unfortunately it may not be possible on all characters. I only tried it on one character and I can't even remember which. I guess this one only deserves to be in combo videos.

Obviously, the combo thread OP would be a great place to look for a good fatal counter combo, so look at those first. These aren't all optimal, but they're pretty good and easy to do (with just a little practice).

Easiest (imo) for just shy of 5k damage would be... FC 5C > 2C > 2B > 236B > 2A > 2B > 236B > 5AA > 236C > 236A/B ... I don't use this one anymore because I learned something better, but this is still a great option. I mean, once you get this much damage, a few hundred isn't going to make much of a difference (hopefully).

What I use now for 5.1K (I'm not at my PS3 right now, so I'm not entirely sure on the EXACT damage) ... FC 5C > 2C > 5B > 2B > 236B > 2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 236B~214B > 236A/B ... It's not too hard once you get used to doing the 5B > 2B input in combos. Think of it as a single input. press the 2B RIGHT AFTER you press 5B. Don't even wait to see it appear on the screen.

Now this isn't very practical because you need to be really close to your opponent (and it's hard as all hell), but if you can somehow get it often, go for it. FC 5C > 2C > 2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 5B > 2B > 236B > 2A > 5B > 2B > 5C > 236B~214B >236A/B ... I've only pulled this off ONCE out of like 100 tries in the lab, but damn it's good. Something like 5.7k or 5.8k if I remember correctly. Unfortunately it may not be possible on all characters. I only tried it on one character and I can't even remember which. I guess this one only deserves to be in combo videos.

Appreciate the info.

would like some more help with the mitsuru matchup and also some comments about my gameplay.

first one i do pretty decent but second i got bodied. Most likely i got too impatient on the second one but whatever. Looking forward to your responses!. First, second and third are mitsuru matches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN7lQPpYCX8&feature=g-user-u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX_zpZmP1iw&feature=g-user-u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0KjeWEOIn8&feature=g-user-u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAiRYwoyi_4&feature=g-user-u

I watched the second one only because you said it was the one you did worst in. Generally speaking, you can probably learn the most from that one. Overall, I'd just say you're respecting too much but not being patient enough. How does that even make sense? I'll tell you. There are constant times where you're trying to jump out/hit a button when you really, really shouldn't, and you're respecting when you really, really shouldn't. For instance, if you're gonna mash anything while in blockstun with Mitsuru, it better be R-Action. Even if she's trying to run away with a J.B it can catch her. 5B I find it to be easy to react to and R-Action to turn the tables and those are a few gaps. Also, after the drill, pay attention to where she launches it from/where she stops. Depending on her spacing of the drill it actually leaves Kanji at frame advantage without even the need for an instant block. Also I believe their 5a's are the same speed so there was a lot of times you should have just waited for him to do drill and then proceeded to mash afterwards. If he wasn't doing drill at the end of his pressure strings instead he would do sweep/sweepfeint jump out. On the jump out he'd do j.B like I said gets blown up by R-Action and sweephe'd be pretty commited to doing a drill cuz if not he just gets grabbed. There are other gaps where you can actually grab them if their spacing is off, but its hard to explain and most of the time I just see it. lol I still need to learn this match-up better myself but I can at least tell you what I can see you did wrong. Another thing, if you EVER think Mitsuru is going to do something funny on wake-up, just block. Two times I saw you think something stupid was coming and you intern did the wrong move. One time you tried to bait it with a jump and got blown up with bufudyne, and another you tried to do D version grab on wake-up. He did dp and got out for free. Now, if you just block, if he does bufudyne, you can D version grab after the superflash and C version is a free punish. D version bufudyne makes both moves whiff and depending on your timing you might be at a disadvantage. If you're just blocking on wake up and they dp, you can punish with 5a before she lands so she can't do anything funny into an optimal combo. Overall, I'd just say you weren't being patient enough and you weren't mashing in the right spots. His Mitsuru is very aggressive so once you get a feel for the holes you'll be able to blow it up. Although, not all Mitsurus play like him so when it comes to the spacing game I can't really help you too much other than you really have to stay out of the air. J.A SHITS on all of your air normals and don't use lightning too carelessly, its too free for her to punish your persona. Avoid Marin Karin at all costs because if you're losing meter you're losing what little chance you have in neutral game. I'm personally still working on my own strategy for the character but I hope this helps.

I watched the second one only because you said it was the one you did worst in. Generally speaking, you can probably learn the most from that one. Overall, I'd just say you're respecting too much but not being patient enough. How does that even make sense? I'll tell you. There are constant times where you're trying to jump out/hit a button when you really, really shouldn't, and you're respecting when you really, really shouldn't. For instance, if you're gonna mash anything while in blockstun with Mitsuru, it better be R-Action. Even if she's trying to run away with a J.B it can catch her. 5B I find it to be easy to react to and R-Action to turn the tables and those are a few gaps. Also, after the drill, pay attention to where she launches it from/where she stops. Depending on her spacing of the drill it actually leaves Kanji at frame advantage without even the need for an instant block. Also I believe their 5a's are the same speed so there was a lot of times you should have just waited for him to do drill and then proceeded to mash afterwards. If he wasn't doing drill at the end of his pressure strings instead he would do sweep/sweepfeint jump out. On the jump out he'd do j.B like I said gets blown up by R-Action and sweephe'd be pretty commited to doing a drill cuz if not he just gets grabbed. There are other gaps where you can actually grab them if their spacing is off, but its hard to explain and most of the time I just see it. lol I still need to learn this match-up better myself but I can at least tell you what I can see you did wrong. Another thing, if you EVER think Mitsuru is going to do something funny on wake-up, just block. Two times I saw you think something stupid was coming and you intern did the wrong move. One time you tried to bait it with a jump and got blown up with bufudyne, and another you tried to do D version grab on wake-up. He did dp and got out for free. Now, if you just block, if he does bufudyne, you can D version grab after the superflash and C version is a free punish. D version bufudyne makes both moves whiff and depending on your timing you might be at a disadvantage. If you're just blocking on wake up and they dp, you can punish with 5a before she lands so she can't do anything funny into an optimal combo. Overall, I'd just say you weren't being patient enough and you weren't mashing in the right spots. His Mitsuru is very aggressive so once you get a feel for the holes you'll be able to blow it up. Although, not all Mitsurus play like him so when it comes to the spacing game I can't really help you too much other than you really have to stay out of the air. J.A SHITS on all of your air normals and don't use lightning too carelessly, its too free for her to punish your persona. Avoid Marin Karin at all costs because if you're losing meter you're losing what little chance you have in neutral game. I'm personally still working on my own strategy for the character but I hope this helps.

Thanks Lich. I know that R-action is probably one of the only best answers to her but I'm scared to do it because usually i'm not good at guessing. I think I have to go with the "No Fucks" sometimes with her but that usually gets me blown up in general lol. I jumped way to much in this match and usually Yucorp has good reactions so that usually doesn't help lol.

As expected of you Lich, knowing your waifu very well

Yeah Yukiko is a tough match up, you gotta defend and IB a lot to build up meter and take a chance to go through her zoning.

I haven't figured out the match up myself so I can't give good advice for it.

Well in that first match I was able to capitalize on some slight mistakes yukiko made but I felt like in the next two matches the yukiko player would not allow me to capitalize on anything.

You pressed too many buttons. You need to pay a lot more attention to her options, location and intentions. There's a long list of things to not do for any combination of those. You got hit more than a few times for attacks that had no chance of touching them.

Kanji's j.214A/B/AB is a little extra gimmicky unless you yomi some pretty specific stuff, Air to air it'll lose to pretty much everything, air to ground she can chain to crouching moves on whiff so that sucks too.

You tried to bait something with a cross up j.C? I'm not sure what that was about, her R action hits really high and would have won. 236D only very slightly limits her option and it a pain to get out in the first place.

Also like... you get right next to her a lot and go for throws a lot. She got a massive advantage by ducking gimmicky j.214AB's and jumping away from you when you get close. You didn't need to use 214D nearly as much. Yukiko's normals are pretty slow, most of the time a 214C would have worked just as well and reduce the disadvantage.

Aside from that work on confirms, CH j.B can be followed up from usually and you almost lost a round because you didn't EX chair for the kill.

Yukiko is a pain, I struggle against her, mainly because I'm not blocking properly, which sends me to full screen. Anyways, here are some of my recent matches.

My losses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4FFy6HSh90 (Mitsuru)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK0_7IgCtNM (Yu)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grqI6rjeT6s (Yukiko)

My wins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE_531mpXdE (Mitsuru)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsQ9rIH85Uc (Yu)

I deserved that IK against Mitsuru, running in to DP was dumb, and the matches with both Yukiko and Yu were ass kickings.

I don't understand what I'm doing right in my matches when I win. I can't seem to emulate that success in other matches.

Against the Mitsuru you lost to I have many things to say.

Mitsuru did a bad burst and your R-action went through it, you didn't punish it with 5AA into air bnb.

You commited to normals that have a good deal of recovery and slow startup in a range where Mitsuru can just poke to stop you.

You used command grabs when the Mitsuru was not close to you.

You panic'd and tried to DP moves you are not gonna DP on reaction.

You didn't hit confirm the good hits you did land properly.

You didn't utilize proper defense: blocking and footsie, causing you take hits you shouldn't taken.

Lastly if you didn't press a button when advancing on Mitsuru you wouldn't have gottan IK'd.

Hey! I just happened to find this Kanji thread and I just can't help but suggest watching this video I found on Youtube made by guambombboy. It shows just how dangerous Kanji's command grabs and Awakened super can really be with proper practice and timing. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0_gKtw60g

All credit goes directly to guambombboy. I am NOT taking any credit or claiming this video as my own.

Hey! I just happened to find this Kanji thread and I just can't help but suggest watching this video I found on Youtube made by guambombboy. It shows just how dangerous Kanji's command grabs and Awakened super can really be with proper practice and timing. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0_gKtw60g

All credit goes directly to guambombboy. I am NOT taking any credit or claiming this video as my own.

Haha. How dare you post this without my permission! I oughta throw ya! Jk. :) Thx for posting but I already posted this in the main video thread.

I feel like you're a little too quick to rely on DP, which cost you critically against Banana Ken and to a somewhat lesser extent against Chosen Ninja. Also, against Chosen Ninja, ate his 236c reset in a combo when Fire Broken pretty much every time, probably could've been a bit more attentive when he had it active. If you're absolutely forced into a high/low unblockable situation vs Yukiko and don't feel confident in trying to escape, it's probably better to block standing rather than crouching, since starting her combo with 2a scales damage more than 2d does.

Against Bananaken I kinda panicked hard especially during the grab setup, I just don't know how to escape it.

I felt like if I played neutral much better and tried by best to not get caught I would have been able to go further in the set.

Against Chosen I simply had inputs not come out or I made really bad reads.

One moment I went for a gold burst to beat a unblockable setup but woke up and bursted too soon.

Worse he didn't use Fire break Agi so he still had a guard break stocked.

I will take note of what you said since I learned a lot here as usual.

Those two players were much stronger than most the people I played during tournament.

Here's a set I had in Grand Finals for a local ranbat. Keep in mind that Kanji is my sub now and this is a mirror match. I would have played Mitsuru (like a jerk, whatever) but since I was in winners, I figured "eh, why not".

I baited too many bursts, which I know is a bad thing. Gabe denied me the satisfaction, which is all I really wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK2gegUpI80

I'm the blue one and the blonde dude