Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickExtreme1

[P4A] Labyrs - Q&A Thread

After 22X series I've been following up with a meaty 5B/Guillotine/Sweep. If they try to jump out they'll get stuffed, the only thing that I think will beat you if if they're mashing DP.

Can't check, but the meaty max range 5B is safe against some (Akihiko, lol) dps, I think.

5AA > 66 > 5AA > 2C > [b+D] > 5AA > 2C > [b+D] > 5A > 2B > j.C > Air Gullotine > D Moujuu (6019 DMG/37 SP)

Having a lot of trouble with this combo... after the first 5AA when I input 66 (im guessing it's a dash) nothing comes out... also 2C > [b+D] the B+D hits too late, or I'm too far because the 66 never comes out for me, any advice on timing or anything?

You'll have to let 5AA recover before you input 66. It's a little tricky, but keep doing it and you'll get used to the timing and eventually consistently get the 66. As for the 2C > BD, you'll have to input BD the moment the first hit of 2C connects.

Well, pretty discouraging that I literally sat and tried this for 2 hours and didn't get it once... is there any other route I can take starting with 5aa that'll lead into similar damage without having to do the 66..? I've tried everything I can get 5aa 5aa, but can never get a dash out in between.... timing feels so strict for a bnb, and for some reason I can do 2C > [b+D] alone as it's own segment, but when I do 5aa > 2C > [b+D] the charge never comes out... or always comes out too late

All i can say about the the 66's in between the 5aa is to just keep practicing it, you'll get it eventually . As far as the 2C > [b+D] part, i don't know if this is the right way, but the only way i've been able to make that link is, you actually have to let go of the B+D before it is max charged. It doesn't have to be max charged for it to wall bounce, but enough so that it will wall bounce if that makes sense. If you let it go just a moment before it is max charged, it should red beat.

You can also hit confirm off of throws. Forward/back throw >one more cancel > 5aa> 2c> [b+d].

You're doing the 5AA > 5AA combo at red axe level, right? Just have to make sure. If you're having issues comboing it at red axe, try setting the AI to jumping and starting with an anti-air 5AA so you have a bit more height to work with. The timing on the dash isn't very strict, it's just a matter of getting used to it.

At yellow axe, the timing is a bit tighter, and you can only do one rep. At green and below, can't do that combo.

I wouldn't worry too much about the FC B+D parts of the combo until you get the 5AA to work.

Well, pretty discouraging that I literally sat and tried this for 2 hours and didn't get it once... is there any other route I can take starting with 5aa that'll lead into similar damage without having to do the 66..? I've tried everything I can get 5aa 5aa, but can never get a dash out in between.... timing feels so strict for a bnb, and for some reason I can do 2C > [b+D] alone as it's own segment, but when I do 5aa > 2C > [b+D] the charge never comes out... or always comes out too late

I posted some alternate combos in the combo thread if you want to try them, they might be a bit easier.

-5A > 5B > 236B > 6~A > 66 > 5A > 2B > sjc. > j.B > j.C > j.214B > 236236D (5,446 Damage) is pretty good damage off of 5A but harder to hit-confirm then a 5AA combo. Thought I recommend you don't give up once you get the timing down then it's pretty easy.

The 66 should be inputted as she returning her axe to neutral position. When you input the 66 she'll move a few frames after instead of instantly; but don't wait, you should input the 5AA as soon as you see start moving.

Probably been answered but about axe levels: Let's say I finish off an opponent with a red axe. The red axe will carry over but does the timer on the red axe reset at the start of the match? (I think it was stated that it takes about 4 sec to go from Red to Yellow.)

Probably been answered but about axe levels: Let's say I finish off an opponent with a red axe. The red axe will carry over but does the timer on the red axe reset at the start of the match? (I think it was stated that it takes about 4 sec to go from Red to Yellow.)

Pretty sure it doesn't. You literally just carry over whatever you have at the end of the round to the next round.

The 4 seconds you mention is referring to how long it takes for a maximum charge red axe to fall to yellow by itself, it doesn't mean that as soon as you hit red axe you get 4 seconds.

@question about 5aa starter without dashing 5aa as next hit

5aa 5aa (no dash) 66 5aa 2c [bd] 5aaaa (or 5a 2b sjc jb jc 214x i think works too) is simple and will help you get the dashing normal concept down

tons of time in the 3rd part of the rep. youll get it, just keep at it.

I just want to make sure of this before I go through and learn how to punish certain moves. Axe level has no effect at all on the start-up of any of Labrys's moves, right?

I just want to make sure of this before I go through and learn how to punish certain moves. Axe level has no effect at all on the start-up of any of Labrys's moves, right?

To my knowledge none at all.

im having trouble keeping ppl off of me or getting them off when they are pressuring me.

most of my opponents fear red axe so they get on thier offense very quickly and never let up. i dont panic, but more like i get frustrated because i dont know how to stop it once it started. here are some issues i have:

air dashes in-im trying to use 2b to anti air but i feel i may either be to late in doing it or that it isnt the best option all the time. i also use standing guillotine axe to anti air and j.D to prevent them from coming in so little success. i think these all may be situational on defense. something i recently tried was just jumping C persona at them to stop them in their tracks. not too sure what to do....:(

once they are in-im block all their attacks but i have nothing to get them off. burst seems to be the only one to work for me but its a total waste as they arent doing any damage yet. Labrys is too slow to fit in some short pokes i get beat out by almost all the cast so i just look for a pattern and mash DP and im not fond of having that as the only option. also if they arent committing to any special moves the just stop attacking when they see her swing her axe back. this may get fixed be me learning how to use guard cancel (i think its called that, 6A+B). i also try to find gaps in the attack and i roll past them but this i understand isnt a good idea. i know i can get grabbed out of it but other than that what are other downsides to rolling under pressure? are theyre setups where if you roll there is combo to punish it?

those are a few any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Throw is 5 frames, and guard cancelling becomes available as an option once you hit 50 meter.

Rolling is useful, don't think it's a horrible thing to do. It's not always the right choice, but it'll get you out of a lot of situations. The main downsides are that it's punishable if the opponent did a quick move and recovers before you do (or if you just roll into an already active move) and that it can be thrown.

Do not use Labrys' DP like a real DP. It's very situational and is more like a hard call-out for your opponent doing high-commitment moves than a real reversal move.

Beyond that, just look for gaps in blockstrings. There always are some, and they get bigger if you instant block. 5A will work in a lot of those gaps. :)

If you know they're going to do an air move and you can't anti-air it, you can roll out to reset yourself to neutral, or you can just block it. In some cases there won't be any gap between the aerial move and the move before it, so in those cases, you just have to block. You can try backdashing, too, but it's pretty risky in that sort of situation.

I think to play as Labrys you need to have a really solid grasp of blocking...she doesn't have a "Press button to get out of pressure" card like other characters in this game sometimes have. If you watch the top Labrys players they all are very comfortable blocking and IBing until they have a chance to 2A/5A or jump out if the gap is big enough. You just have to be patient and not panic and eventually you'll be able to get out of most pressure strings. The worst thing you can do is start panic mashing DP or trying to jump out since then you'll just get combo'd and reset.

Like people have said, instant blocking opens up gaps in strings you can mash through, and rolling is a perfectly fine option, since most strings have rollable moves that leave you safe after roll (Chie IAD j.C comes to mind). Your DP only beats really slow moves, supers, and throws, so it's not really an option.

As far as antiairing goes, your 2B beats...all sorts of stuff, but it's slow, so watch for air options (double jump, stalls, etc).

For the most part though, you just have to block respectably and not get hit until you find a chance out.

I wouldn't recommend blindly instant blocking unless you are REALLY comfortable with your opponent's blockstrings. That defeats the purpose. IMO the point of instant blocking is 1) create gaps 2) build meter. Building meter should be secondary because if you fail to instant block, you put yourself in a position to get hit. It really helps to get comfortable with your opponent's options and then wait for the right moments to instant block since your focus shifts to look for openings instead of instant block every attack.

Labrys's DP should be treated more as a super armor attack than a reversal since the move is dreadfully bad defensively. Offensively, you use it to super armor your opponents attempt to stuff your land approach and punish them. So you are effectively baiting trades with your DP.

I wouldn't recommend blindly instant blocking unless you are REALLY comfortable with your opponent's blockstrings. That defeats the purpose. IMO the point of instant blocking is 1) create gaps 2) build meter. Building meter should be secondary because if you fail to instant block, you put yourself in a position to get hit. It really helps to get comfortable with your opponent's options and then wait for the right moments to instant block since your focus shifts to look for openings instead of instant block every attack.

Labrys's DP should be treated more as a super armor attack than a reversal since the move is dreadfully bad defensively. Offensively, you use it to super armor your opponents attempt to stuff your land approach and punish them. So you are effectively baiting trades with your DP.

if you land and have time to DP, they probably are doing

a: a jab, which they can jab jab dp, or jab jab block to your dp

b: something invul, so you armor thru, they whiff, but they recover to punish you

cant say what faith is saying is totally bad, but keep in mind.

my mindset is be prepared for them to always react to the dp properly if they have time to hit it twice then react. thats a reasonable reaction time for most players.

biggest time i dp is when i call out a grab mixup, they do something i will win if they dont blow meter, or if they autopilot a string that i could beat with a dp (mitsurus doing shit into the drill into something else are a great example of this)

basically, you have to be smart. it sucks, its boring, but it is intelligent ^^

if you land and have time to DP, they probably are doing

a: a jab, which they can jab jab dp, or jab jab block to your dp

b: something invul, so you armor thru, they whiff, but they recover to punish you

Don't really get what this is saying haha. If you make a bad read and try to super armor through something and they do...nothing. Yes you can get blocked at blown up. If they are trying to stuff your approach with jab jab <react to your DP> DP, you are probably holding your DP too long or getting in way too close...(unless its like yukiko's whose jab range is attrocious). Yeah if they invul you, your stuck. You made a bad read and got punished for it.

basically, you have to be smart. it sucks, its boring, but it is intelligent ^^

When using DP, you are playing a high risk, decent-good reward game. This isn't safe fighter 4 where you can just safe poke to victory every time, so sometimes you have to take risks. But take it knowing all the facts and act intelligently based on it

Don't really get what this is saying haha. If you make a bad read and try to super armor through something and they do...nothing. Yes you can get blocked at blown up. If they are trying to stuff your approach with jab jab <react to your DP> DP, you are probably holding your DP too long or getting in way too close...(unless its like yukiko's whose jab range is attrocious). Yeah if they invul you, your stuck. You made a bad read and got punished for it.

Because it's superarmor and not invuln, Labrys' dp slows down when it gets jabbed, so something like 5AA > dp or 2A > 2A > dp is a very feasible response to seeing Labrys' starting up her dp. You don't have to hold it down for that to happen. Most characters can dp Labrys' dp on reaction if they strike the super armor with a normal. Sad but true.

You can actually punish people who do that by holding your DP down so long that it super-armors through their entire reaction DP and you punish with yours, but that's pretty ridiculous and dangerous.

It shouldn't be too hard to cancel into [b+D] after a 2C in red axe. If you want to do multiple [b+D]'s in your combo though, you need to cancel the 2C quite early and (almost) fully charge [b+D].

The only real requirements are the move you started and the proration of your current combo. Any 2C will combo into charged [b+D] as long as proration isn't too high