Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[P4A] Yukiko Amagi - Player Critique and Self Improvement thread

I don't really recommend standing fullscreen and throwing out TWO fans vs Kanji too often, since he can air-lightning or squirrel grab your huge recovery on 5BB if he's moving around. 1 fan is good enough from neutral; save 2 fans for meaty stuff or when you mask the recovery with your Persona.

If you're talking about responding to a wakeup DP ... I don't think most good Kanjis would DP at a range where you can actually throw two fans. And baiting DPs with Dia is extremely dangerous; at that range, you're better off airdashing back, throwing an air fan and then punishing the DP whiff (if any). Also puts you at range for 5C/2C pokes, but puts you at range for HIS 5C/2C as well. I wouldn't wanna risk being up in his face and getting grabbed while baiting a Kanji DP.

Even if these matches are somewhat old and I have gotten better since then I still need the critique

vs MarlinPie (Chie)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bjwq6gB5Ok&feature=plcp

Set against Acekillahx (Akihiko)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwGaTeVG9D0&feature=plcp

Individual Matches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oweB0DihQHA&feature=relmfu

I know a couple of things I need to work on:

I need to mix up my blockstrings and set ups I tend to use the same blockstrings and that's not a good thing and I need to start using AoA more as well. I also need to work on my confirms from J.A and 5C and in general to be honest and J.C is a really good tool and air to air so I should be using that as well. I find myself not using Fire Break and Fire Boost enough and they are both great tools and a lot of times I see myself not moving enough and just standing in one spot that's a bad habit for me. I also tend to let my opponent get in so easily at times because I don't use enough Agi traps and Maragi (pillars) to cover the screen. I really need to use roll a lot more too and learn the max distance for 5AA and J.C

Learn the double maragi combo, you coulda put a lot more damage on Marlin Pie after that D Maragidyne.

Also you did something I see most Yukiko's do that I hateeeeee which is when the opponent has a sliver of life, you held down agi instead of letting it finish them off.

Instead of always sending out fans after your blockstring, include 6D or 2D, as well as EX Fireboost which if they block or roll they won't get to punish. Don't abuse it though, but it's basically a free two levels for pitiful amounts of blue life and they can't really punish it unless you're being predictable about it or are too close.

Definitely need more 6Ds when your opponent is scarily close like Akihiko or Chie.

Also I saw you run up on Chie when you were already within 5As range on Chie, which will get you punished or blocking pretty much everytime.

Also against Ace you'd send out your persona, he'd block, and you'd 5C -> 2C. Instead you can run in to the edge of 5As range and throw those out, allowing you to basically add an entire new blockstring. Eventually he could have started punishing that 5C if he really wanted to since the timing was the same everytime.

Good play though! Also general things (I don't do em either :/) More instant blocks, better dead angles, you are allowed to DP a little bit ;).

Learn the double maragi combo, you coulda put a lot more damage on Marlin Pie after that D Maragidyne.

Also you did something I see most Yukiko's do that I hateeeeee which is when the opponent has a sliver of life, you held down agi instead of letting it finish them off.

Instead of always sending out fans after your blockstring, include 6D or 2D, as well as EX Fireboost which if they block or roll they won't get to punish. Don't abuse it though, but it's basically a free two levels for pitiful amounts of blue life and they can't really punish it unless you're being predictable about it or are too close.

Definitely need more 6Ds when your opponent is scarily close like Akihiko or Chie.

Also I saw you run up on Chie when you were already within 5As range on Chie, which will get you punished or blocking pretty much everytime.

Also against Ace you'd send out your persona, he'd block, and you'd 5C -> 2C. Instead you can run in to the edge of 5As range and throw those out, allowing you to basically add an entire new blockstring. Eventually he could have started punishing that 5C if he really wanted to since the timing was the same everytime.

Good play though! Also general things (I don't do em either :/) More instant blocks, better dead angles, you are allowed to DP a little bit ;).

Thanks for the advice MiracleKnight I pretty much agree with everything you said and I definitely keep this in mind

I know how to do the double Maragi combo I used to do it all the time I love it but majority of the time I don't go for it because I don't think about if it's not a FC I keep forgetting that you can do it with CH as well.

You can still do a single maragi loop off of a non-CH hit (dash ]A[ 5C 236C ]B[) or set up a Fire Break (dash ]A[ 5C 214D ]B[ ) while they're bouncing from SB Agi.

I almost always find it worth the 25 meter if I can get an SB Agi to connect, cause it opens the opponent up to a ton of different setups and oki that isn't possible with just a simple knockdown.

Ugh my play yesterday, if I had to critique me I'd give myself an F-. Ciddddyyyyy we need to play again. Don't know what was wrong with me.

I need to figure out how to properly involve the Ds into the pressure strings. Also I was watching one good Yukiko's performance where he was using EX Fire Boost at the end of a blockstring because it's so quick. I keep forgetting to involve that.

Not sure if that'd work to bait Mitsuru though since her Droit might still punish it.

Yeah I also forget about how good EX Fire Boost really is it's something I really need to start doing more as well

I need help with a combo. After a reverse 5C->2C from a AgiB->3D, I start the loop:

5BB>SB Agi>66>5C>[A]>236C>214D>>Sweep>setup with unblockable 236A

I can't seem to get the timing or something else? right on the first Maragi (in bold). They always end up teching before the Maragi would hit.

Help? and thanks in advance.

Input it as 236C~]A[ and you should be able to get it now. You have to make sure Maharagi C comes out before you detonate. You want to maximize the hitstun before letting go of A.

Hey guys, having big problems with Yukiko here.

How can i start off a match?

When to zone or when to rushdown?

What to do when you get them in a corner?

How to approach/get in? After I end a combo, I sit there going "duhhrrrr..." Because I just don't know what to do.

How to zone effectively without leaving too many openings?

What other ways can i follow up 236B > 3D ender? That's not 5c 2c.

Been playing a couple of games today (0-~30 )when it hit me that I've been going nowhere for the past few months, and it's really starting to get in my head. I've generally been playing lost and have no idea how to get momentum going while getting dragged into the corner and guarding there until I just die.

Yukiko's not my thing atm. Been playing her since launch and just feel mind blocked almost every match. Gotta find some sort of feel to it.

I was in the same boat as you when I initially played with Yukiko. She appears VERY intimidating to learn when playing with her right off the bat, and trust, you might lose A LOT of matches online as you're trying to master her, but never get discouraged or lose hope. Each character will require Yukiko to have a different strategy to play against them, so if you'd like, save some replays of games you lost and see where you can improve, what most players do with one character in general, and so on.

Now, I'm not the BEST Yukiko player in the world, but I feel like I can still help you out. ;)

When starting off a match, your safest bet would be a simple air backdash and throw out a far fan. It beats out mostly everything except projectile attacks, if I'm not mistaken, and it creates distance from the enemy which is great for us fellow zoners. If you think the opponent is going to jump/back away from you, you can answer with a B Agi (release), 3D or 5D/6D; should they try to rush in and go for a kill, A and B Agis are useful, as well as C. You can also use Dia, her Furious Action and her Evasive Action, but just try not to use excessively, because if you do the opponent can bait your Dia and punish, and too many EAs will allow the opponent to read and take you out with inescapable throws.

Because Yukiko doesn't have reliable mix-up tools, or powerful, staggering singular moves in which to wear the opponent out, it is not a good idea for Yukiko to rushdown opponents, especially those who are VERY good at close-quarter combat (i.e. Chie, Akihiko, etc.). You'll most likely spend most matches from mid-to-far range from the enemy; from this position this is where she gains momentum and can really get the match going--if you're a fan of Fire Boost and Break, that is.

If and when you decide to close in on the opponent, be cautious of the enemy's DP--especially Yosuke's, Labrys' and her Shadow's. They're just...forsaken by God.

A common string I like to do when my B Agi attack connects is hold fire, 3D and as Persona's coming down, throw a singular fan and either stock up on a few Boosts before the opponent catches on, and/or simply release in case the opponent tries to EA past my Persona or my fireball.

I hope this helps for now, I hope you grow strong with Yukiko very fast and good luck :)

Q:How can i start off a match?

A: Try to get some space between you and your opponent, do a instant air back dash with j.B or j.D on it, or a 3B/5B. Another thing I try when I start matches is to IAD>air throw or j.A.

Q:What to do when you get them in a corner?

A: You have plenty of unblockables, set them up, end your combo with Agi (or at least hold it for the end of the combo), then do 2D>detonate>dash 2A, or set up a fire break on Agi, you don't have many good mix-ups (although I like low air fan/j.A mix-ups, her AoA is so... slow), so go for unblockables instead of it. Watch out for DPs though, sometimes is just better to use 2D and try to bait it.

Q:How to zone effectively without leaving too many openings?

A: Mix your persona attacks with fans, use 4/5/6D a lot and j.1/1D when you think your opponent is too aggressive and wants to go in without giving fucks (the persona will control the space right above you, and he will get fatal countered if he tries something), both versions of Maragi also controls a huge ammount of space after you detonate it. Also, think of the normal persona attacks as an extension of her body instead of a projectile, use it to apply pressure from distance.

Q:What other ways can i follow up 236B > 3D ender? That's not 5c 2c.

A: 2C>5C>stuff (mostly 236D) is pretty cool, also you can do 5C>2C>236AB>2C>]A[>2D>]B[>dash 2A for an unblockable setup (always remember to look out for baiting DPs and other stuff on them though), even 5C>2C>5D may work from time to time.

When starting off a match, your safest bet would be a simple air backdash and throw out a far fan. It beats out mostly everything except projectile attacks, if I'm not mistaken, and it creates distance from the enemy which is great for us fellow zoners.

Be careful doing this against Chie. She can dragonkick at the start of the match and bop you for it if you're always doing it.

Against the unknown it's usually best to kinda hang back and see what they do first.

Any tips on throwing fans? Particularly the air ones. I always end up whiffing them -> getting punished hard.

You're really just gonna have to use your better judgment. For the ground, you may usually find yourself throwing 2B and 3B more often than standing B fan throws. As for the air, when mid-air, you're gonna have to do a good job of anticipating where the opponent's going to be next. Don't be afraid to back away and keep the distance from your opponent with far fans if you need to. After all, Yukiko's strength comes from farthest range.

You'll get the hang of throwing fans once you've played a lot of rounds, as you can predict and even memorize when your opponent's trying to jump or rush you down.

Is there a more efficient way to 5BB > SB agi? More often then not the second fan doesn't pop out no matter how many times I mash it, lol.

There's really no trick to getting the second fan to come out other than to press B again. You might just be pressing it too early or not mashing long enough, lol.

Getting the SB Agi to connect is another story, though.

I have a question.

Q: i have been struggling with the terror known as the Yosuke match up. What are some key points to think about while fighting against an opponent that is much faster than you and wont stay out of the air?

Note: I try sniping him out of the sky with 2B's but he just ends up full screen leaping behind me. I dont understand how to control air space to keep him grounded.

Another question.

Q: What are some good pressure strings with yukiko? (I ask that here because I dont need to know combos. IF i hit my opponent I can hurt them. I just have problems opening people up.)

Is there a more efficient way to 5BB > SB agi? More often then not the second fan doesn't pop out no matter how many times I mash it, lol.

5BB > SB Agi works? Ive been doing 5BB > TK SB Agi.

Didnt know it worked on the ground.