Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosmos badgirl

[CP] News & Gameplay Discussion (Old)

I mean with other Americans.

I don't think I've ever had a problem playing with other Americans on Extend; if so it was because my setup was ass. Recently, I've actually been getting decent connection.

I don't think I've ever had a problem playing with other Americans on Extend; if so it was because my setup was ass. Recently, I've actually been getting decent connection.

I don't think I've had a 3 connection to anyone who still plays Extend within the past year.

EDIT: To be fair, I haven't exactly checked often.

Is there something wrong with wanting them to improve their netcode when we know it can be done?

No, there's nothing wrong with it. There is something wrong with people with crap internet constantly whining about how the "shitty netcode" keeps them from playing the game.

I don't think I've had a 3 connection to anyone who still plays Extend within the past year.

The last time I had a 4 bar connection was...uh...last night? :P

EDIT: To be fair, I haven't exactly checked often.

Go wired, its your best option.

Go wired, its your best option.

You think I don't play wired? Wireless is a disaster for gaming, no matter what the game.

I think it's more the location than anything else, and also possibly the time (though I'd imagine Saturday night should be okay).

You think I don't play wired? Wireless is a disaster for gaming, no matter what the game.

I think it's more the location than anything else.

Well how strong is the signal out there.

The hell do you mean, "how strong is the signal?" It's wired. I'm connected through my router straight to the damn wall, and the PS3 is in the DMZ. My ping is consistent. Everything that matters is fine.

I mean it's location as in, I likely have bad routing to everyone who still plays.

I think it's more the location than anything else.

And, assuming you literally mean the kind of signal where I'd take meters to wires, etc., while I can't exactly say I've done that, every indication I have of the reliability of my connection tells me that it's more than adequate, at least in theory. My jitter is <2ms, pinging various places yields fine results, and I can play other games like Melty without issue.

That just leads me to believe it's my connection to the other players. Might be an unnecessarily large amount of hops, etc.

I think it's more the location than anything else, and also possibly the time (though I'd imagine Saturday night should be okay).

Not really, it depends on the genre--racing games work fine under wireless for instance. Obviously it's...bad for fighting games but that was a broad statement.

I've never really had problems with BB's netcode but my connection is mostly decent I guess. That and I never played online much plus I'm too unskilled to notice the difference unless it's REALLY bad.

racing games work fine under wireless for instance.

Burnout Paradise was awful with people on wireless. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit was pretty bad when I used wireless at a friend's, too.

Wireless just isn't good for any multiplayer game where you directly interact with the opposition.

Burnout Paradise was awful with people on wireless. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit was pretty bad when I used wireless at a friend's, too.

Wireless just isn't good for any multiplayer game where you directly interact with the opposition.

Weird, Forza 4 always worked well for me. But this is off-topic so let's stop here.

I guess I should start playing wired in preparation for CP but I don't feel like routing 30 feet of cable through my parents' house just so I can play animu fighting games :v:

I almost always get 0 bars. Even when I occasionally get more than that, I still have bad lag. Of course, I'm in the mountains. I would appreciate having the netcode fixed up a bit to help.

I really wish the PS3 just didn't have wireless as an option. Wireless on netplay is the worst thing. I've strung 3 ethernet cables together before using my router and an RJ-45 extension cable to reach halfway across my house so I wouldn't have to play on wireless. Honestly, if my options are wireless or nothing, I usually just play an old RPG.

Also, them fixing the netcode isn't going to fix bad connections. If you're in the mountains, I'd wager your connection probably has pretty nasty jitter, which will ruin any fighting game on any netcode. If anything, it's like mine at home where I have 80ms ping pinging to my own city, which I get 85ms ping from Atlanta to San Francisco while I'm at school on Fios.

I almost always get 0 bars. Even when I occasionally get more than that, I still have bad lag. Of course, I'm in the mountains. I would appreciate having the netcode fixed up a bit to help.

Are you satellite internet too? No netcode in the world can help that.

I really wish the PS3 just didn't have wireless as an option.

So Microsoft had it right by not including it with the original 360 models? ;)

http://blazblue.jp/topics.html#topics523

ASW will be showing off the console version of CP at two Sony Concept stores on the 27th and 28th. Seems like Terumi will be playable according to google translate.

No love for Kagura, huh?

No love for Kagura, huh?

He ain't hype enough to appear just yet. Really, I am really glad we will see Terumi soon in action.

Are you satellite internet too? No netcode in the world can help that.

No, comcast. So unless comcast is using satellite connections to the Appalachian mountains, no. Can you please stop assuming that everyone who complains is using a wireless router? It's annoying and unhelpful.

Also, here's the thing. It's true that a lot of people don't have great connections. But if you're making an online game, you do not say "Well, everyone playing our game is either going to have the best internet connection, so let's not bother making the best netcode we can." You say "Wow, a lot of people, due to various circumstances, do not have great internet connections. We might have to put some effort in to optimize the netcode so the most people can use it."

No, comcast. So unless comcast is using satellite connections to the Appalachian mountains, no. Can you please stop assuming that everyone who complains is using a wireless router? It's annoying and unhelpful.

Also, here's the thing. It's true that a lot of people don't have great connections. But if you're making an online game, you do not say "Well, everyone playing our game is either going to have the best internet connection, so let's not bother making the best netcode we can." You say "Wow, a lot of people, due to various circumstances, do not have great internet connections. We might have to put some effort in to optimize the netcode so the most people can use it."

but it's also true that if you have a 0-bar, you are out of luck no matter what.

I'm going to admit that I'm not an expert on internet infrastructure, but I'm going to guess that in Japan and EU, the netcode is pretty good? I think a big contributing factor is that NA has a really awful internet infrastructure. That doesn't mean you can't ever have netcode that works, but I'm thinking that'll easily result in hotspots that are great and others that are awful that may not be as numerous as in other places like Japan and EU. Plus there are other obvious factors like wireless vs wired, ISPs, etc etc.

Anyone from EU/Japan want to chime in on ASW netcode? It's my understanding that players there generally have better and faster connections.

EDIT:

but it's also true that if you have a 0-bar, you are out of luck no matter what.

Not all the time actually. I play a guy that I'm 0 bar with from Domincan Republic and I'm in Canada and we play well about 75% of the time (whenever there's a storm there, his connection drops).

Comcast is about as bad as satellite. Got stuck with them for a year, couldn't do much of anything unless everyone in the surrounding block was gone.

Ass ISP.