Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[CP] Arakune Technical and Gameplay Discussion Thread

Is it me, or does it look/feel like he has a 4f jump again?

Is it me, or does it look/feel like he has a 4f jump again?

That would be quite a nice stealth buff if true.  How would we even go about testing that theory?

And I might be looking too hard into this, but I feel like I can IAD with 9 > 6 much easier now.  I remember being able to get it only one out of every ten tries or so before.  In training mode right now I got it around 50% of the time.  Might be evidence of a 4f jump.  Dunno.

Overall, though, a few days after the patch and I'm pretty satisfied with it.  We aren't having to relearn combo routes like some other characters.  I did have one game, though, where a Relius player put me into a super long blockstring after I got him cursed.  I didn't think the change for curse meter going down faster while blocking would've made a big difference, but it was noticeable in that round.

He's still fun, and unblockable recurse is way easier now.

His jumps feel more fluid now, so I'm just wondering about the jump start up.

He's still fun, and unblockable recurse is way easier now.

His jumps feel more fluid now, so I'm just wondering about the jump start up.

How is it easier in your opinion? It feels the same to me. Saying it's good by the way.

How is it easier in your opinion? It feels the same to me. Saying it's good by the way.

Getting out a meaty d bug, helps tons with the unblockable. Also when curse ends on block.

fullcurse and slowdown cloud off of 6C in the corner

6C~C>5A~6B>j.446D>6B>j.442A>6D>2C>5D>41236A

3086 damage

A combo that starts off 6C is never worth listing. 6C is 27 frames with a really telegraphed animation.

I see a lot of Arakune's using 6C outside of combos. STOP. 6C is not a mixup tool. 6C is blocked and then what? 6A > 2B > 5B is +, easy to confirm into 2C, and it's a high - low.

If you're near corner 6A is 100% curse. 6A is 23 frames and gives you high-low mixup into 3K+ damage, 100% curse and oki.

6A > 2B > 5B > 2C > 5D > 236B >  6B > 6C(2) > 5A > 6B >J.D > 6D.

What are the inputs for the corner crossup?

214[a] > 6]c[bug > 6]d[bug > (in corner) 4]a[bug > 214a?

What are the inputs for the corner crossup?

214[a] > 6]c[bug > 6]d[bug > (in corner) 4]a[bug > 214a?

The one I use is

(After 5d) > 214[a] > 6]c[bug > 6]d[bug > (in corner) > j.c > 214c

A combo that starts off 6C is never worth listing. 6C is 27 frames with a really telegraphed animation.

I see a lot of Arakune's using 6C outside of combos. STOP. 6C is not a mixup tool. 6C is blocked and then what? 6A > 2B > 5B is +, easy to confirm into 2C, and it's a high - low.

If you're near corner 6A is 100% curse. 6A is 23 frames and gives you high-low mixup into 3K+ damage, 100% curse and oki.

6A > 2B > 5B > 2C > 5D > 236B >  6B > 6C(2) > 5A > 6B >J.D > 6D.

What's the high-low? 6A and 2B?

If is blocked, I would only 5b if I wanted the space or was going into 2d, which despite the +2, is still unsafe. I would let the 2b rock, you're closer to them to take advantage of the frame advantage.

Ok, so here's a nooby ass question regarding something I just realized/figured out after several months of playing. -______-

So I just realized j.C>C bug does not combo together without buffering the C bug. Very upset since I was so used to tapping C believing this would always work but it's not even possible. I suspected this for sometime thinking I needed A bug to confirm with my instant overhead in order to confirm C bug. But of course I did not even have to do that nor would that even possible 100% of the time since I am planning on mixing up my midscreen blockstrings with a/b bugs. This discovery has led me to believe Arakune is so much harder to use than I thought. But then again, I still can't do double j.d consistently and the Iad barrier midscreen combo off of 6b>j6d is still something I have yet to been able to do. -___- Very bummed out about this and I hope I can make up for it asap. THIS IS WHY BBCP NEEDS A "DO NOT BLOCK OVERHEAD" FEATURE IN TRAINING MODE!!! >.< One hour in, and already calling it a day here.

Anyways my question is, am I really supposed to hold c/d bug while pressuring midscreen with 5A > 2A > a bug? Am I supposed to let go of C bug before or as I do the j.C overhead? How do I manage to get the C bug to summon itself on the opponent without summoning it far behind the opponent as I do j.C? I also see Arakune players either let go of D bug ONLY IF THEY CONFIRM while others manage to release it immediately. Are they even buffering the D bug or pressing it?

Can I have a notation as if, let's say, I were to approach a locked down opponent with forward dash for example. When releasing a/b bugs to keep opponent in place, do I buffer C bug as I dash for the pressure? What about D bug?

I'd appreciate an explanation/help. Thanks :)

I'm pretty sleepy so I'll answer the last question tomorrow, but.

1. Set training dummy to couch, block everything with block switching off. There, won't block overheads.

2. 5a > j.cd. free. I told this to metawaddledee at ufgt. Pressing the 5a will summon an a bug, the j.c will combo into the a bug which will combo into the c bug and so on. It's your brain dead midscreen curse "mix up". No NEing required.

I swear I will update this thread...

I could have sworn i've seen J.c combo into C bug without A bug many times.

5a > 2a > A Bug > 5a > j.C (confirm) + a bug > c bug > d bug (buffered?)

IS this what you mean? I have been doing this instead but don't you think that kinda just give it away if you're tapping 5A during pressure, which pretty much tells the opponent "Hey, i'm buffering A bug with 5A so I will go for a mix up right about....NOW!"? I mean I can mix it up with 66 cross up > b bug > mix up normal, 4b low, etc. but I feel this helps alert the opponent a lot more.

Are you sure NEing is not necessary?

Positive. No NEing required. It's the brain dead route because it's easy to perform and obvious to your opponent if they recognize the pattern. The real mix up version is 5a > 2[a] stagger pressure.

That way you have an a bug buffered, you then either go into ]a[ > j.cd, or 2c/2b/4b.

Releasing the a bug correctly will combo from a naked j.c, and it won't negatively affect the low set ups either.

Super super long time on-and-off lurker, but I feel solid enough on overall mechanics and Arakune experience to have some info to contribute now, specifically I've got a tidbit I think may help some people with double j.D combos as I've come to master their execution these last few weeks.

I've found treating the IAD neccessary for j.4A+B's input as something like:

6B > 874 > 4A+B ~ j.6Dx2

helps immensely with keeping the IAD consistent for those who don't wish to break their wrists mashing out raw IAD with the full 7-4-4 input, at least for me. Slight pause before 874 while 6B recovers to neutral.

In CS it felt like there was more time to buffer the dash for 6A 100% combos after 5D's longer recovery animation, but with 6B > IAD I've found this shortcut helps, as well as in neutral situations where I'd like to j.4A+B back quickly. (also if you're trying to get grounded double j.D you're in for a bad time, it's technically possible but ridiculously strict compared to air-hit 6B, I frustrated my own understanding of the timing needed in the combo that way for awhile)

I've yet to try implementing the S starter 100% curse, but I'm imagining the same sort of method could be applied to that combo path if people found it helpful.

Either way, what are the best options after landing a CH j.C outside of curse mode for characters with smaller hitboxes?  The best I can come up with is:

CH j.C > 214A > 2C > 6D

And even that isn't all that reliable.  :/

CH j.C > j.2B/C > (DC) > 6B > j.4A+B > j.6D > j.6D works.

You don't even have to dive cancel if you don't want to because of fatal counter.

I'm pretty sleepy so I'll answer the last question tomorrow, but.

1. Set training dummy to couch, block everything with block switching off. There, won't block overheads.

2. 5a > j.cd. free. I told this to metawaddledee at ufgt. Pressing the 5a will summon an a bug, the j.c will combo into the a bug which will combo into the c bug and so on. It's your brain dead midscreen curse "mix up". No NEing required.

I swear I will update this thread...

Yeah, I've been playing around with 5a > j.CD after you mentioned it at UFGT.  I'm mad I didn't know about this earlier.  It's 100% free for awhile until the opponent catches on.  Then once you've trained them to block high you can just 5A > 5A > A bug > repeat > random-ass shark for 7k.  Or keep doing 5A > 2A > A bug > repeat to recondition them into blocking low after the first 5A.

Also, update this thread.  I'm blaming you for me not getting out of pools at UFGT.  If this thread where updated, I could've EASILY taken top 8.  >________>

CH j.C > j.2B/C > (DC) > 6B > j.4A+B > j.6D > j.6D works.

You don't even have to dive cancel if you don't want to because of fatal counter.

Try this on Jin.  The main problem I was having was trying to find a way to reliably connect the CH j.C into a j.2A/B/C on smaller hitboxes.  It works sometimes, but if you hit him in the wrong spot, you'll just whiff the j.2A/B/C.  Not something I'd like to rely on under pressure.

I've found treating the IAD neccessary for j.4A+B's input as something like:

6B > 874 > 4A+B ~ j.6Dx2

helps immensely with keeping the IAD consistent for those who don't wish to break their wrists mashing out raw IAD with the full 7-4-4 input, at least for me. Slight pause before 874 while 6B recovers to neutral.

Also, I'd really appreciate a more in-depth explanation of the 874 IAD input.  Trying different input speeds and everything, and I still can't get 874 to give me anything other than just a standard jump.

Try this on Jin.  The main problem I was having was trying to find a way to reliably connect the CH j.C into a j.2A/B/C on smaller hitboxes.  It works sometimes, but if you hit him in the wrong spot, you'll just whiff the j.2A/B/C.  Not something I'd like to rely on under pressure.

Try doing j.C7 (that is, choosing to bounce back after j.C) to give yourself a more standardized alignment, then dive according to which floorbounce direction he gave you (which will depend largely on how deep you jumped in before the j.C)

You have a surprising amount of breathing room before needing to dive after fatal counter, so play around with it until it's comfortable clicking to the A or B version on intuition of bounce direction. You can usually get away with generalizing all forward bounces to j.2A and all back bounces to j.2B.

Also, I'd really appreciate a more in-depth explanation of the 874 IAD input.  Trying different input speeds and everything, and I still can't get 874 to give me anything other than just a standard jump.

Sorry, looking back on it my notation wasn't as clear as it probably could've been. It's important to return to neutral after 874 for the j.4A+B that follows so you get the dash. I forgot the most logical thing for most to do after seeing j.4A+B after a 4 in notation would be to just hold it and truncated the string :U

So all told it's:

874~[4] > j.4A+B

They key is to get the second 4 at a similar timing to a standard air-backdash's 44, that way you're inputting the dash at near the exact same moment you're inputting barrier as well as cutting out some of the potential for error/ slight delay that 7~4~4 raw might have when you're under pressure.

If it's still giving you trouble I'd practice the input in neutral just doing the 874~4 IAD and barriering to the ground a bunch to get a feel for it before you throw in the slight pause that waiting for 6B to finish throws in the mix.

Hey everybody, kinda new around here. I've decided to pick up Arakune because well, he seems like such an interesting magical being(in terms of character design and playstyle). My first/main character is Azrael as BBCP was my first 2D fighting game ever(I only played 3D fighters like Soul Calibur before), I was already interested in playing Arakune but my friend told me that he's not really someone a beginner should play with due to how complex he is.

Anyway, how would you guys suggest a person totally new to Arakune to learn how to play him? There's just so many different places you have to cover, such as his somewhat awkward pre-curse game, pre-curse combos, and setups/okizeme of all sorts. For now I've just been trying to do some of the pre-curse combos listed in the 1st page of this thread and I can somewhat manage(just have to get the muscle memory down). I swear, if Arakune had a somewhat "normal" IAD I think his combos would be like 20% easier. I still haven't managed to do 8744A+B, but it seems like Jdietz43(thanks!) has displayed an easy way to do it so I'll try that out later.

I guess for now I should just park myself within training room grounds before I ever bring him out into the fields of play?

I would yeah, for at least awhile. Get an understanding of what neutral hit-confirms can lead into what curse-granting combos until you feel comfortable converting random hits into tangible amounts of curse. Then do your absolute best to get comfortable with his neutral game in some real matches. You probably won't win many without any real understanding of what to do once they're cursed, but you have to start at the part you can always work on and will always be relevant before you slowly push the envelope forward deeper into his game.

I threw up some set ups, take a look at Part 2 and 3, ask any questions you need to, I'll have visual demonstrations soon enough.

I threw up some set ups, take a look at Part 2 and 3, ask any questions you need to, I'll have visual demonstrations soon enough.

Looks like a good start, I'm happy to see some love being shown to the OP.

Do you think you'll touch on the joys that are 22B/C and 6D to round out a curse combo here or will you save it for the realm of section 4?

(I'm eagerly awaiting that resets and unblockable section since that's where I'm at in my game development right now lol)