Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[P4A] Yukiko vs. Mitsuru

Discuss the matchup between Yukiko and Mitsuru here.

Matchup Summary

Yukiko's Tools

Her 5B/2B/JB Fans:

Dia:

Agi and Maragi:

Mitsuru's response to them

Her 5B/2B/JB Fans:

Dia:

Agi and Maragi:

Mitsuru's Tools

Yukiko's response to them

The verdict of this matchup

How do you fight her? Seems like her 5a and j.a stuff a lot of stuff. And also her [4]6a/b gets her in so fast

This match-up is butt. While you have to respect nearly everything Mitsuru has, she has nothing to respect about your game.

EDIT: Found out you can AoA against drills. Needs more testing but this seems to be the correct counter.

How to deal with her DP!

Remember that when she has 50 SP she can super cancel her DP into bufudyne (ice anti-air) upon landing. Only press 2A once and hitconfirm into a punish after baiting her DP. If she super cancels the 2A will recover in time for you to do something else.

In this matchup, 5B, J.B, Maragi and 2D are your best friends. You dont want her to close the distance on you cause thats when she is dangerous. Dont even worry about inflicting amazing damage. Just keep her out.

Gli is absolutely right about the baiting of her DP. Thats a perfect way to deal with it if she gets in on you.

Her pokes are stupid good. You can't even interrupt her poke pressure because they're so fast. They'll stuff whatever you try and throw out between her block strings. I had some success with throwing out a Dia between block strings. Maragi's worked if I manged to keep her on the other side of the screen and apply pressure with 2D and 6D. If she gets you in the corner, you're dead.

What can you do against her thrusting sword move? It comes out so fast and travels across the entire screen. It beats everything I try to do.

Thanks Gli. Mitsuru is probably the matchup I hate most since the number of Mitsuru players far outnumbers the Slab players. Knowing that Mitsuru gives zero fucks about Yukiko pressure is scary to begin with. After blocked drill they usually mash 2a or dp. And if you try to grab wrong you can eat 4B for FC.

Alternatives on dealing with Bufudyne is to just dodge it so she cannot OMC it if you block it.

Other notes...

I've also had success with doing j.4D in the air after teching to discourage her approaches.

mitsuru's 5A won't hit yukiko crouching? at least not when she does 2A.

so if you know that the mitsuru player likes to hit 5A after her A coup. just hit 2A for a punish.

calling coups and jumping is pretty important in this match.

good fan tosses and B agi's outside of her 5D range is really useful. since she' has to approach the old fashioned way, she has a relatively tough time to get in.

don't use 5BB if they're closer than full screen, they'll use j.D and pull you in.

hard match nontheless

Strong zoning with smart gambling (i.e when to mash out of her pressure) will net you wins. This is difficult but it's possible to win.

Fans are more powerful than you think.

At start of round, is there anything Yukiko can do that is safe? It seems like I have to block at the beginning of the round. I can't jump, I can't backdash, can't do anything.

It's like Mitsuru has a free rushdown at the beginning of the game.

At start of round, is there anything Yukiko can do that is safe? It seems like I have to block at the beginning of the round. I can't jump, I can't backdash, can't do anything.

It's like Mitsuru has a free rushdown at the beginning of the game.

That's exactly how I felt fighting her. Even basic pokes blow through anything I attempt to do.

If you expect that rush down, dia till she stops? Also I believe instant blocking her coup makes it punishable.

I guess that would make sense then. I just don't have a lot of experience in this matchup and only beat a few Mitsurus that didn't know what the hell they were doing.

Hold back a bit, that way if she does it, you'll be a bit further away and can dia, and if she doesn't you can give yourself a bit of space between you and her.

Not sure if I'm understanding the responses totally, but starting a round off with Dia or trying to Dia a Coup Droit on reaction seems like some really bad stuff. She can delay the release to fake you out, and if you mistime it you're gonna eat all sorts of crap. I mean, if you pull it off, you're basically back to the same position you were before you did it. She'll take 100 damage and a full screen knockback (where she probably already was when she tried to Coup Droit you), and you just risked eating big damage. You'd be better off blocking the Coup Droit and just mashing Dia during blockstrings. At least that way you're more likely to hit her.

I like jump back at the start of the round to see what they do. Most Mitsurus like to push buttons at the start. 5A will throw you in blockstun, Coup Droit is a quick way in and beats backdash, 5D beats jumpback fan and 2D beats sj Fan. Doing anything but the cautious approach before you've figured out your opponent's tendencies seems really risky, to me. I don't think there's a way Yukiko can come out in a favorable position at the very start of the round, so I just resign myself to that and block, at least until I get a feel for the opponent.

I like to neutral jump at the start of the round. If she opens with Coup, great, I land on her and deal damage, and if not it's generally safe. My other openers are stand C (to catch jumps or non-Coup attacks), instant air dash A / airthrow to punish backjumps (it's tricky to punish that), or jump back and 1D as a hybrid Coup / block punisher.

Adapted from the Akihiko thread as I believe it's also pretty useful against Mitsuru:

"One thing I've found pretty useful to keep her out (and this goes for a bunch of matchups really) is midair A Agi. That move has a deceptively good hitbox near the bottom! I time it such that the Agi barely catches the head of the opponent as he rushes in, then hold A to let the Agi stay there if they didn't rush in. This puts the fireball just at the right height to cover both air and ground approaches, then you can use zoning tools like B Agi / Maragi / Fans / D moves at your leisure, protected by the A Agi's fireball."

Also remember that an early AoA can beat Coup and random pokes.

Neutral jumps are pretty useful in general to keep her from just rushing you with Coup over and over, too.

Don't forget than when she's right in your face with frame advantage and threatens to low / throw, you can just hop to beat both, and even on a wrong guess (if she does some standing normal) it's often awkward for her to get big damage off hitting your hop. It's sometimes safer than Dia, is way way better if she just blocks, and obviously leads to more damage.

Also remember that she's a charge character, so crossing her up with an A+C evasive action or a jump can eat her Coup charge and reduce her options.

Backdashes are pretty lame in general against her (she just has too much range), but a well-placed Dia is often insanely useful to regain control. I recommend immediately setting a B Agi and/or Maragi over her immediately after hitting with Dia, and not bother using Fire Boost at all (keeping her away for a bit to keep momentum is too important).

Unlike other matchups, 5A will basically never hit anything from neutral, don't even try it. Just use the 2A low kick when at frame advantage.

Other than that, do generic Yukiko stuff and win. Sounds simple, right? :o

Adapted from the Akihiko thread as I believe it's also pretty useful against Mitsuru:

"One thing I've found pretty useful to keep her out (and this goes for a bunch of matchups really) is midair A Agi. That move has a deceptively good hitbox near the bottom! I time it such that the Agi barely catches the head of the opponent as he rushes in, then hold A to let the Agi stay there if they didn't rush in. This puts the fireball just at the right height to cover both air and ground approaches, then you can use zoning tools like B Agi / Maragi / Fans / D moves at your leisure, protected by the A Agi's fireball."

Also remember that an early AoA can beat Coup and random pokes.

Neutral jumps are pretty useful in general to keep her from just rushing you with Coup over and over, too.

Don't forget than when she's right in your face with frame advantage and threatens to low / throw, you can just hop to beat both, and even on a wrong guess (if she does some standing normal) it's often awkward for her to get big damage off hitting your hop. It's sometimes safer than Dia, is way way better if she just blocks, and obviously leads to more damage.

Also remember that she's a charge character, so crossing her up with an A+C evasive action or a jump can eat her Coup charge and reduce her options.

Backdashes are pretty lame in general against her (she just has too much range), but a well-placed Dia is often insanely useful to regain control. I recommend immediately setting a B Agi and/or Maragi over her immediately after hitting with Dia, and not bother using Fire Boost at all (keeping her away for a bit to keep momentum is too important).

Unlike other matchups, 5A will basically never hit anything from neutral, don't even try it. Just use the 2A low kick when at frame advantage.

Other than that, do generic Yukiko stuff and win. Sounds simple, right? :o

I need to remember that. I just fought like six Mitsurus in a row and wanted to strangle myself with the cord of my controller. ._.

On that note of DP > Bufudyne ---

If you don't want to guess when she has 50 meter, just mash Dia on the way down. If all she does is DP, the Dia will hit her. If you're in the corner you can super cancel to Agidyne if it'll kill or you otherwise find it favorable to you.

If she does DP > Bufudyne, Dia will eat it and you can land and do a counterhit punish combo (5B CH 236D ....)

Just be sure to hold Dia down just a smidge, cause if she does D Bufudyne, the delay will hit you unless you hold Dia for a bit. With C you can release Dia as soon as it becomes active, but holding it a little won't affect your ability to punish it anyway.

of note: 2A low profiles under 5A and droit. I'm pretty sure you can use it at the start of the round and return to neutral before sweep or 5B hit you.

I'd like to offer some insight I have on this matchup.

I think the very beginning of the match is very intimidating for Yukiko; Mitsuru not only has the faster draw, what with Coup Droit and 5A, on counter it's gonna build up into some nasty damage and put you in corner. If you desperately want to stand some ground against her though, I would suggest upback fan throw (watch out for Mitsuru's 2D), or to immediately aerial dash over her head, then turn mid-air and throw out a fan. If you feel she's going for a Coup Droit, ultimately it would be best to just block and deal with her blockstring, but you can throw out D Maragi, as sometimes this throws her off-guard. If she blocks it, you can proceed and then roll when she does the Coup Droit, or try an AoA, as Yukiko's guard point can save her from the blow.

When you're in the corner, Mitsuru's pressure can be pretty stiff, but you're going to need to learn her pattern because it does have its openings. I would first recommend putting Mitsuru on the highest AI level in Training mode, go to the corner and let her go all out and practice defending against her, because the same AI more or less will give you a feel of how most Mitsuru players will do to you in the corner. Yukiko's © Agidyne can beat Mitsuru's 4/5/6B, DP, 2A+B (but not feint), AoA, 2B and 5C; (D) Agidyne beats out 4/5/6B, DP and 5C; © Maragidyne beats out faster stuff, like 5A, 2A, and including Mitsuru's feint move.

Because Mitsuru has her Coup Droit and her 5D, it's going to be difficult to zone her, so your best bet is to just watch yourself when you're on the offense. Keep your blockstring tight and formulated so that it doesn't give them a chance to DP.

Should Mitsuru's DP connect but you block it, DO NOT attack, as she can just cancel into Bufudyne and you will lose a good chunk of health. Roll past her or back away seems to be better options.

Dia is useful in this match, especially against Coup Droits, 5D and even her Bufudyne, but of course, but cautious when using it, because if not you may find yourself punished and forced into the corner, the scariest position Mitsuru can have you.

Once you have full meter in your winning round, it's gonna take a little load off your shoulders because this means you don't have to respect much of Mitsuru's stuff anymore. Her supers (save for the ice dart one she rarely uses), 4/5/6B, 2B, 5D, 2A+B (iirc), AoA (iirc) will fall short to your IK.