Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moroha

A.B.A vs. May

A.B.A vs. May Japanese ranking: 6-4 A.B.A May has a difficult time getting in on ABA, as ABA simply outranges and outspeeds her in Moroha. Danzai is hilariously bad for May, as it eats her non-FB Dolphins, OHK Command Throw, FB Overhead and both versions of her Dust for your own comboage. 2S deals with airborne Mays well, and 6P covers ABA's front better for horizontal dolphins (combo into 2S -> sj -> anything). Danzai is punishable for KD, so use it on reaction, not as an offensive tool. Try not to go to the air too much, or you will get airthrown for sure. Be VERY careful about 3K, and respect it at all times. If May throws it out, it's either your knockdown or her death (-29 on block. That is an eternity in this game. Do whatever the fuck you want, 6H, 2H, 2K - just not f.S!) f.S, 5HS, and 2S are all essential. Also, the only reversal May has is her super; Restive Rolling has zero invincibility. As such, May has to choose between spending tension on FB dolphins for pressure/damage (something that she really needs against ABA due to her great range/priority and Danzai), or saving that meter for a Dead Angle / Reversal, which is totally awesome.

I think this fight is more like 5.5 for ABA. Essentially, both characters have great offense that hurts a ton, but ABA has more defensive options (better anti-airs + Danzai) and her offense is a little less risky.

It's worth noting that her 5H beats yours and has a similarly ridiculous CH stagger. As such, you want to fight at the max range of far S until you get that knockdown/blocked 2H/blocked rekka.

And Kyle likes to slashback Danzai and command grab me. =(

EDIT: 1-frame jump is key in this fight. Let's look at the risk/reward of Danzai, FB Danzai, and 1-frame jump in defensive situations...

Danzai: Uses no tension, beats single hits for moderate damage, beats command grab for moderate damage, loses to quick chains, can be punished on block with slide (very low damage but a knockdown) or slashback -> command grab (high damage + knockdown)

FB Danzai: Uses 25% tension, beats single attacks for high damage, beats chains for high damage, beats command grab for high damage, same weaknesses on block as normal Danzai

1-frame jump: Uses a negligible amount of tension, is safe from single attacks, is safe from chains, beats command grab for very high damage (j.H combos), gives you the initiative if May blocks

When you perform the 1-frame jump properly (i.e. holding FD once in the air), May only has a couple ways to beat it. One is to chain to sweep when you anticipate a grab, but this is actually not hard to react to - just wait until there's a gap before jumping! That leaves her with airthrow, which is an extremely high-risk/low-reward thing to do on offense.

In short, 1-frame jump is the safest option and the one you should use most often, and FB Danzai is the ballsier option which gets the most damage against a few things. I would not recommend normal Danzai very much.

Sounds good "PhD of Funk". I will re-iterate the differences for emphasis. ABA & May Both have INSANE DMG potential & Knockdows. ABA always Anti-airs May with 2S or 5HS, yes it hits behind you for a CH when May attempts a cross-up. The only reliable Anti-air against ABA's J.HS is to jump into it, IB, than throw when ABA lands. This is even riskier than it sounds if May jumps too early, ABA lands first and nets either a grounded trap into combo/pressure or a throw. ABA has more defensive options which limit Mays Mix-ups/Abarea. -Back-dash, 1F jump, Danzai, FB Slide, UB as low crush option. ABA should knock May down and force her to guard! She is one of the EASIEST people in the cast to crank dat guard-Bar. Keep your mix-ups strong and let May lose options by baiting your reversal, all the time. I found the most frustrating mix-up when my Guard-Bar was full is a running 2k, or a running throw. That shit is SCARY when your flashing. Great Matches Josh, <3 our fights and seeing each others characters evolve. 2 girls 1 Bot!!!!!!!! (Almost got it worked out) ;)

Thanks Kyle! Yeah, one of the points I was trying to make indirectly is that the 1-frame jump is more of a threat to May than ABA since May's throw has a long whiff animation. You can punish most other command grabs in the same manner. Eddie's recovers too quickly and I'm not sure about Slayer (normal throw w/ option select 6H is better anyway) but it works on the rest of them.

Funk Doc/Kyle you guys are so awesome, I now realize how potent 1F jump is to her game in this matchup or any tick throw happy character in general. Thanks! Another thing, should I try to anti air V dolphin or should I just block it? Backdashing doesn't seem to work against it, or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

After this weekend's May clinic, it's safe to say that 2S and 5H really make this matchup difficult for May. May can't really poke against ABA on the ground, which means most Mays will be spending time dancing around the air trying to find a way in. 2S crushes these options, which is why 2S is so valuable in this matchup. Also Josh, anytime you block a Vert Dolphin, IB or not, you can punish it with f.S, 2H (1hit), rekkas FRC. FREEE! It's not an easy match for ABA though, either. Even if May is down to her last pixel, two knockdowns and an OHK or 3K FRC etc and that's the round.

What does A.B.A have to do to get into Moroha in the first place. And what do I have to do to prevent from getting knocked down while in Moroha?

1-frame jump is key in this fight.

Can somebody shed some light on this 1-Frame jump?

Can somebody shed some light on this 1-Frame jump?

A 1-frame jump is when you FD as you jump. Like P+K+up/back. Do it correctly and you'll 1-frame jump and there won't be the "dust" effect from jumping. You'll be safe from ground throws and since you're FDing you're safe from AAs as well. You can 1-frame jump to escape tick throws as well.

I'm no May player, so I want to know how high the chance of her IKing A.B.A. is. Also, do either of them have combos that work specifically on each other?

May- CAN NOT combo 2P, 2D on ABA. Has to be 5P, 2D. [6]HS fully charged can whiff ABA when too close. Dolphin loop should be S, HS, SVD, P, S, SVD, P, S, HSVD. Jackhound is not worth it. May NEEDS that KD.