Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ludwig van

[P4A] Naoto vs. Yosuke

What are some of the openings you look for when fighting Yosuke and what's your recommended punish for finding those openings?

The most I can really hope for is setting a bunch of traps and then following up if he happens to hit one of them. Nothing too fancy at the moment.

trap hits > 5B > 5C > 236B > BBBBB - 2.8k damage

Trap hits > 5B > 5C > jB > jC > JC > jC > jD (> 236236A) - 2.4k (3k) damage

I've been having problems fighting Yosukes. I feel like any buttons I press lose to his all the time. Also, I don't feel like I have the time to place traps down cause he's so fast. Also the pistol seems to be kinda meh in my neutral game cause kunais seem to blow it up. Any tips on how to deal with this guy?

Holy hell, what's an appropriate answer for Yosuke's j.C? Practically disarms any trap it comes into contact like it doesn't give a fuck.

I feel that I shouldn't even be throwing out a single normal unless they've blocked a trap so I'm constantly try to lay traps to annoy him and yet really skilled Yosukes will always tag me. :v:

I have multiple C traps out on different angles and a D trap laid where he would land if he tried to sj. iad over the C trap. Been working wonders. C trap directly in front of you plus one about mid-normal jump height in front of that one. Pretty easy to set up at the beginning of the round. Seriously in this matchup you have to out-annoy the most annoying char in the game...

From the point of view of a Yosuke player, space yourself such that j.C won't hit you while disarming traps and just shoot him or do j.B as he's disarming the traps. It's really annoying for a Yosuke player when traps are out cause I can't just do whatever I want. Usually I'll try to super jump and glide to the other side of the screen to get behind the traps.

So how useful is Naoto's gun in this matchup? At first I thought it wasn't as useful since it's hard to hit Yosuke with it with him zooming all over the place but if you think about, NOT using the gun means we're losing one zoning aspect, which makes it easier for Yosuke to get in.

You have to be pretty moderate with the gun against Yosuke; it's risky because he's so fast but you have to use it enough for them to respect it as an option. I find placing grounded C traps fullscreen really good, since they stuff his EX Dash Spring if they just try to get in that way. Other than that, I try to move around a lot - Yosuke is the fastest character in the game, but Naoto doesn't have a 5 for her "SPD stat" for no reason.

Also, this probably sounds scrubby, but if the Yosuke ends their combos with kunai, always air tech and airdash away. The best they can do is an airthrow reset or try to chase you with a jA or something. Unless they do Sweep > 5D or end a combo with Garudyne, Yosuke doesn't really get an advantageous situation after his combos. Make them play the neutral game as long as you can.

Homigod can I get some more recent info on this MU? I've been fighting a yosuke for a good halfhour now and I just cant seem to catch him. Anytime I lay C traps he speeds on through them. I honestly dont know how to follow up afterward either, sometimes he'll attempt for moonsault which I counter with aerial grabs but that isn't really a reliable tactic. Using my shots was almost completely pointless, I did condition him to try not dashing in so often but he would just respond with air dashes or gliding. :S

Help a noobie out?

Try to set just one C-trap on the ground to seal off EX Dash Spring; otherwise, just one in the air will be enough to stop them from going in for free. Other than that, try to rely on movement and play a passive game to bait the Yosuke into doing something dumb to get in. If the Yosuke is hellbent on gliding or airdashing into your face, try to DP them or roll through them. Then you can be more liberal with placing traps and stuff once they play honestly.

A lot of Yosukes will try to throw kunai to stop you from zoning and clear away traps; but this is actually extremely punishable. If you see them high jump into the air to do kunai, try to roll through them and get a free 5B punish due to the kunai's recovery.

If they do Moonsault too much in their blockstrings, just roll through it for free. Airthrow can work sometimes, but if they cancel into an attack you run the risk of being CH.

Also check out the Matchup threads in the Naoto Group; I'm not sure if it's visible to everyone, but you just have to click Join to view it. The Yosuke thread has some good tips:

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/group.php?groupid=100

I'm still learning the timing when its safe to drop off traps with certain characters. Yosuke is one of the few that I'm still having lots of trouble with. I will definitely try sticking with only C traps because of the Dash. I need to remember if I have a health lead theres no reason for me to be going in and trying to assault yosuke in the face like a moron. I'll try to keep to being passive and dropping traps and just getting in when I can, really need to learn to use 5B over 5A when I have an option to get in, though. :|

I'll check out those reads too, I'm sure they'd be even more helpful thanks Zeromus