Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ludwig van

[P4A] Naoto vs. Chie

How do i counter skull cracker, does she really just get to throw out this high/low mixup for free?? nothing seems to get through.

You can DP it. It's a risky solution (due to the fact that it can easily be baited), but if you have a good read on the Chie player (i.e. they are constantly doing it) then you should be fine. Might be other ways to counter it as well, not sure though.

Later on I figured out I was able to mash out a sweep before the next move came out. Its still really annoying that I can BARELY get a sweep in though, I feel like this move should be really unsafe.

This matchup is really retarded to fight. I switch to mitsuru whenever i know im going to have to fight a chie :S

Having low health really bites in this matchup, simply because Chie will kill you as soon as you fall anywhere near 50% health so to win this, you must be on point until she is dead.

To start, flying around and setting traps is crucial. Don't stop flying around and dodging Chie until you have a nice fort established to keep Chie from freely running at you. You want a trap in front of you and near head height for Naoto at least. If the Chie player is giving you a hard time by trying to hit you out of the air, j.b and j.d are really nice. From there, zone chie like you would any other character. Shoot, move around, reposition traps if you must, etc. Once Chie gets in though, which she will ( she will make you block something. she will have Agnyastra zzzz), thats when you are screwed.

Up close, you must respect her pressure and her silly mixup she gets off her D oki. Naoto does not have good answers to Chie's stuff. Naoto's fastest move is her throw, so this is something to keep in mind. I haven't really tested this, but i do believe that you may throw Chie out of 5C dash cancel towards you. I have tried mashing 2A/5A on this only to get CH'd, but throw has worked making the Chie player resort to jump canceling or backing off instead. I know that IBing 5A will let you throw her if she decides to be cute and just do 5A dash 5A pressure, not exactly the best idea. Alternatively, you have DP/EX roll as options as well, but use them wisely. If you recognize when a Chie player likes going for cross up shenanigans off like a jump canceled 5B or something to open you up, you can jump back air throw. Its kinda funny to do. When you get knocked down, you pretty much have to respect the oki. Naoto has to pretty much respect 5DD oki, relying on the opponent to mess up their timing isn't a great idea. Delay tech works here, and once you delayed your tech enough then start waking up immediately and what not. Anything to annoy the Chie player if possible. But honestly, block and hope you guess the mix up right. Mashing out EX roll/DP will work sometimes if the Chie player feels like they are safe and aren't blocking before they perform their mixup, but its not reliable.

Also please be aware of silly Chie tricks such as: j.bb canceled into EX Rampage, land, B skullcracker. Doing a long ground string into AOA to reset the combo (I had to learn that when im being combo'd by chie, to just hold 4 instead of 1.) Also, if a chie player does a really long ground based corner combo that started from like 5A 5A 5A or so, be careful. If she did enough moves, the combo will have very little hitstun which means its perfect for resets. Ive been reset with skullcracker and ive never been more annoyed in my life. Also, in the corner if she j.c does deep enough into the corner, it will hit cross up and she will be on the other side. Chie can do a Melty blood style air unblockable if she catches you blocking her j.a in the air. She will mash j.aaaaa into she lands first and due to the low amount of blockstun from her j.a, if she times it right, she can 2b you and hit you. The answer to this is double jump, if you block something in the air you get your air movement back. And she has the legendary 2 frame overhead that stems from A Rampage OMC j.a/j.b and she retains the low option of just landing and doing 2A. The answer to this is guess lol.

Long story short is Chie has too many ways to keep you blocking and to open you up. With low health, this is really bad for Naoto. Be as slippery as possible, IB something and then mash if you really want to, pay attention to the habits of the Chie player and use that against them. So long story short, be a better player, unfortunately.

Yeah, its basically a boss fight. Its just one of those match ups where you HAVE to go out of your way to punish Chie every time for whatever derpy thing she does and hope you don't die in the process. This is easily one of, if not, the worst match up for Naoto simply because even the silliest of gimmicks will put you in a position to just get blown up.