Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circuitous

[P4A] Kanji vs. Labrys: Clever subtitle goes here.

Just tap 5A on her wake up and punish her DP.

Respect 2B and j.B.

Well you can DP j.B but if you miss you will give her a free axe level.

Don't get put in any situation that forces you to block axe, play the spacing game.

2A doesn't give her axe level's so feel safe from that.

You can IB punish sweep. (I recall doing this on netplay) IBing sweep is hard.

DP or roll guillotine axe and punish, otherwise you cannot punish it on block.

Her mix up is really linear so expect her to rely on just hitting you with stuff.

Play safe and don't let her get red axe.

Red axe is when Labrys can play the game.

Don't let her play the game.

TL:DR punish predictable mix up, don't block axe stuff.

Don't let her get red axe or you lose half your life.

Keep in mind, that she can hold her DP (Furious action, whatever you want to call it) to delay it. So DPing her DP may not work all the time. Even if Kanji catches her with his Furious Attack, she can still super cancel into her Breaking Wheel super which would cause a bad trade.

Agreed. Even playing as Mitsuru, 2B is beat out by Labrys' properly spaced j.B. I would assume that 236C/D would be better for her jump-ins.

That's not true. All that means is you mistimed you 2B. 2B will beat deep j.B at pretty much all angles.

I will have to agree though the risk/reward of trying to anti-air j.B with Kanji's 2B is not worth it. Better to block it since she's either going to come straight down (2 jumps used, or air dash used) or she'll try to jump away (free 236C), or jump forward :psyduck:

I just DP the j.B or block it.

I am more likely to DP it to keep myself from blocking and giving her yellow or red axe.

Labrys can convert almost any hit into red axe with meter. The exception to this is 5C. 5C -> high/low will almost never put her in red axe (unless...you get hit with 5C on the ground and are close then she can do 2C > charge DP > w.e to get red axe)

On the flip side, Labrys will lose red axe the moment you touch her so...

vs lab dp: 5aa DP is still quite legit (esp 5aa2aDP), because of how both DPs work, if she super cancels the DP on hit of your DP, you can super cancel as well, giving you an option at least lol.

You can also do 5AA AoA for a better punish, and to remove her super cancel possibility, you can do... 5AA 236236A/B (iirc, take or leave a 5a/2a) to beat her before she has the chance to super cancel, and that leads to a nice 2.8k or 5k punish with more meter.

i'd like to note that almost every labrys player I've fought is very aggressive once they get DP'd, usually air teching towards kanji for a j.a or j.c. not saying every labrys player is, but for some reason there's a higher tendency? watch out for it I guess =3= especially since 2b should be able to beat those options and get you a CH 4k or a non CH 2k knockdown.

Just about her only legitimate blockstring is 2a (until red axe or something?) so know if she's doing 5aaa that you can mash dp it.

watch for a whiffed 2c to catch your jump/iad approach, a 5C will teach them not to do that shiet.

If lab is just downbacking and waiting for you to do things and punish them, using 236A/236AB is pretty good to get in. 236AB in particular is + and can trade with her 2b if you manage it right, but that depends on when she does it. either way, just don't rush in and try to contest her 2B, for the love of god.

contesting j.b is half of the matchup by the way. if she's doing quick IADs to surprise you with it you may have to rely on DP on reaction to stop it, the rest of the time you have to either DP on reaction to J.B, watch for double jumps/airdashes and j.c/air guillotine to delay her fall. if she's JUST doing double jumps/airdashes into j.b on you though, 2b that nonsense as soon as she uses up her air action. Also, if she is not spacing her jump ins well, there will be a gap between j.b or j.a and 5a (slow 7f startup 5a lol) so make sure to DP that stuff.

because of how her axe powerup works, she's actually a pretty good character ot practice extended blockstrings on-she has poor options for dealing with some of the ways kanji extends with how her DP works, and the longer she blocks, the more axe level she loses, so they'll be antsy. watch for supers and OMCs to get out of the situation though lol.

From what I've seen of the projectile she can lay down into the ground, it seems closer to a gimmick than a solid mixup. She can set it up and release it whenever she wants (she has to hold a button), but since her mixup options are the same as always it usually comes down to a quick crossup j.b, a run up throw or a 2a/overhead/overhead first hit OMC 2a mixup sort of thing. And the occasional weird guy setting it up just so he can pop it when you jump over it and it catches you for some reason oh god why. Probably most commonly seen after her EX overhead! Mostly, be wary of the throw.

Gear super is a pain in the butt to deal wtih as it's + frames, invinc startup and a projectile. omcing it even lets her have a better mixup. If you're at neutral when she does it, just IK her and be done with it lol. If she cancels it off of a DP I do believe you're forced to block it, try going for a guard cancel if she can't OMC it or is doing silly overheads and whatnot during it.

With brutal impact (her unblock chargeup super) you can input IK once you see the second superflash and beat her cleanly or just roll it and punish with 5c like a normal person.

An alright option is if you predict gear super on wakeup you can do 236B j.214B and it'll beat it every time. If a Labrys is honestly still DPing on wakeup at this point in the game against kanji I don't know what to tell you (I'll tell you that that labrys is an idiot) so it's really your #1 go to move to bait her only good DP, and has the added bonus of beating jumpouts. It obviously loses to crouching on wakeup, so only do it if you're feeling confident she's expecting 5A on wakeup.

An alright option is if you predict gear super on wakeup you can do 236B j.214B and it'll beat it every time. If a Labrys is honestly still DPing on wakeup at this point in the game against kanji I don't know what to tell you (I'll tell you that that labrys is an idiot) so it's really your #1 go to move to bait her only good DP, and has the added bonus of beating jumpouts. It obviously loses to crouching on wakeup, so only do it if you're feeling confident she's expecting 5A on wakeup.

you can jump gears on reaction to the superflash so you don't need to do fancy shit like that. dping on wakeup is a good option for labrys if she has gears, if she makes you block it or trades with your DP she gets a tight blockstring gears cancel that you can't jump out of or do w/e to unless you IB'D the DP. iirc ibing gives you options, anyway.

If they are cornered, then you can jump out and time a FC j.C on a double jump, and land safely. If done correctly, you'll get the FC j.C and land after the wheel disappears. Another easier option is to simply time a D command throw and go through it all.

If they are in mid screen, then Evade through her and have your way with her.