Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikelAL93

[P4A] Yukiko Amagi - Strategies & Tips

Well, it kinda does since her options vary on the distance between you and the opponent on wakeup. But mostly I meant the difference between A and B agi, since a majority of your oki options will come from some kind of knockdown that ends in one of those two, with the fire being held for oki.

Some chars you really wanna get in on, though. Like Liz or something. I'd favor the 5D options that push her towards you unless you've got a substantial life lead.

Yeah, I realized that soon after I made my initial post. I just edited it before I saw this. I haven't been using held agi's for oki since I haven't known what to do afterwards, but you've give me some good options. I'll practice those in training mode to get timings and distance down and try them out in a real match.

If you get an A Agi you can go for a IAD crossover and release for some pressure. If you're against a character with bad reach, meaty 5C/2C at range to push them out for a better 2D distance works too.

Off of a B agi the common setup (I think) is to dash forward slightly, release B for meaty explosion while doing a 3D and throwing a fan at them. It should be exploding around the time the Persona hits the corner of the screen, and the fan covers the descent for the most part. 2 fans will catch a wakeup roll, and I think a 4B fan will as well.

When the Persona lands you can go with 5C/2C stuff and confirm into a B Agi with midscreen followup, or just A Agi into super which will push the opponent towards your corner where you can followup with a sweep hard knockdown.

Or when Persona lands you can do blockstrings that lead into a 5/6D which pushes the opponent towards you while the Persona hits, which gives you some mixup potential (AoA, low/high, IAD turnaround j.A, etc) or a chance at a beefy 5D FC into Maragi loopage.

Orrr you could just throw the Persona / fan and build fire stocks.

This is really good info, and it would be great if it can be organized and put into the OP post :)

If you get an A Agi you can go for a IAD crossover and release for some pressure. If you're against a character with bad reach, meaty 5C/2C at range to push them out for a better 2D distance works too.

This is going to sound like a stupid question but how is this possible? The recovery on Agi seems far too long.

This is going to sound like a stupid question but how is this possible? The recovery on Agi seems far too long.

Yeah, I've been trying to do this in training and mid match and I can never seem to get it to work. They're always up and ready before I can IAD cross up and detonate.

Yeah, I've been trying to do this in training and mid match and I can never seem to get it to work. They're always up and ready before I can IAD cross up and detonate.

It's detailed on the OP, but I'll add some comments.

First, if you're doing something like 5AA > 5B > 5C > 2C > 236A :

You won't be able to do an 'instant meaty IAD crossup', so to speak. If you do this combo and hold A and do an airdash, you'll see that Yukiko barely crosses the opponent up at the end of the airdash. This is when you release. It's not meant to be meaty, but the explosion can catch opponents trying to push buttons if they try to react to Yukiko's airdash, like an air unblockable 2B or something. At this range, you can combo off of it if you're timing is tight and (I think) if you get counterhit. Which is mentioned on the OP.

You can also do some shenanigans if the opponent is close to you when you do the 236A (like off of a sweep or TK'd 236A if you aren't up to snuff on those combos):

1. IAD forward and release, can cross up but I haven't been able to followup raw like this ever.

2. IAD backwards to bait DPs.

3. Jump up, release A, press A+C for a quick turn, do the 'backdash' j.A and confirm into j.236A or (better probably) j.236B for more range.

3b. On counterhit, you can also do a j.236A+B and lead into Maragi loops after the explosion hits. It doesn't seem confirmable though, and if you don't get Counterhit, they tech really quick and can probably pop you while you're still in the air.

With the #3 option, it keeps you on the attack if your opponent blocks so you can go into more stuff if you want.

When you're starting out learning this mixup, do it off of a 2A+B > 236A. The timing is lot more lenient to connect the turnaround j.A, and even moreso if you put counterhit on for your training dummy.

When you can get that more reliably, do it off a raw 236A or TK'd one. The timing's stricter but you can combo off of it.

As for connecting something like a sweep...

I'll go to it sometimes after 2A strings (or if I accidentally do a 3rd one, which can't be gatling'd to anything else), or the 'non-Persona b&b':

5AA 3B 5BB 3B 5BB > IAD > j.AAA land 2AA 2A+B > 236A.

So even more reason to learn that combo if you haven't. But it only works on standing. ;p

OP updated to include some more helpful tips and tricks by Sindelian and Flipboy189.

Thanks a bunch for this everyone! I am glad I made a thread like this to help Yukiko players come up with new strategies to help improve their playstyle with her. Any more tips and tricks are always welcome. :)

This is a tip that I didn't come up with. but by Alvin Lo

there seems to be a way to shorten the window which you cannot do an attack during an air backdash.

the way it seems to work is if you press a button during the start/middle of the air backdash and press another button, the attack will come out.

the main use for this would be an air back dash j.B.

so you can just hit 44 > j.B > j.B

u gotta delay the inputs a little bit

I don't know if this is an actual glitch or just a timing thing. but it works way better than if you try to time it after the air backdash recovery is over

Whenever I do air backdash fan, I usually just mash j.B cause I can never get the timing right. Is this is for real, that might explain why I can never get it off a single j.B, but it's probably just a timing issue.

Whenever I do air backdash fan, I usually just mash j.B cause I can never get the timing right. Is this is for real, that might explain why I can never get it off a single j.B, but it's probably just a timing issue.

It's more or less a timing thing. During an air backdash, it takes some time before you perform your next action. I might be wrong, but I guess that is how it works when it comes to backdashes and their timing.

Signed up for an account since I shouldn't have to rely on others for posting up stuff hahaha. Could you change my name in the OP? It's kinda awkward having my full name for everyone to see lol

Could you change my name in the OP? It's kinda awkward having my full name for everyone to see lol

Done and done.

Thanks for contributing some helpful tips to this thread, they are really helpful.

To add to the Fan Throw tip, I don't actually Mash B. I piano a C to help my consistency. It can be done with any button, not just B. So the input would be: Jump, 44, C>4/5/6B. You can replace C in there with any button though.

Edit: To be more precise. There is a 5F dead frame window during a backdash (credit to gli for that info). I have no idea whether or not hitting an extra button shortens this window or not, and I have no means to prove that it does. I do know however that it helps my timing tremendously, and I can do this in a real match 99% of the time without much trouble with this method. So, it may be a glitch, it may be just a timing tool--but I think it will help Yukiko players struggling with timing this the normal way.

There is a 5F dead frame window during a backdash (credit to gli for that info).

The 5F was referring to jumping, not the backdash. I don't have any clue about backdash dead input windows.

this is a trick that gli talked about in the skype chat.

safe jump setup against DP's (doesn't work on Teddie/bufudyne)

basically u get a knockdown with A Agi, jump and create a meaty agi, block while falling, if they don't DP then mix them up.

the meaty agi keeps them from rolling and forces them to commit to blocking or doing a reversal.

extremely useful to keep pressure on DP happy characters.

thanks gli!

this is a trick that gli talked about in the skype chat.

safe jump setup against DP's (doesn't work on Teddie/bufudyne)

basically u get a knockdown with A Agi, jump and create a meaty agi, block while falling, if they don't DP then mix them up.

the meaty agi keeps them from rolling and forces them to commit to blocking or doing a reversal.

extremely useful to keep pressure on DP happy characters.

thanks gli!

Added to the OP. It sure does sound like a great tip for those DP happy characters like Kanji, Narukami, Yosuke, or anyone else but Teddie for that matter. :)

One unblockable setup I go for is in the corner I do

236a knock down > meaty 4B > 2D > release a > 2a

I'm gonna check if I can make

it a chain os. If on block then 2d comes out. If they dp I block. Might not work due to fan recovery. Gonna play with it

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

i have a corner reset that seems to work on those who are just holding back/mashing.

5aa 5bb 5c 5bb 5c 236d. this works for either block string or to reset the combo. if they are mashing/holding back, they'll get hit and you can go for

5aa 5c 5bb 5c 5bb 236a agidyneD

if they block it, you can keep up the pressure.

There was a little trick that tanaka-special did against LordKnight on Jiyuna's stream the other day at 1:34:55:

http://www.twitch.tv/jiyuna/b/330826808

Did a standard b&b into B Agi and did 2/3D > 5C > 2C > SB Agi (hold A and B), run at opponent, release A to put them in blockstun and roll/dodge and release B as you cross them up and lead into 5A combo.

Thought that was pretty sick. Jiyuna agrees.

edit: 5C, not 5B

Didn't see these posted so I figure I'd just list a couple I've seen Stunedge use.

1) Off the corner confirm go into A agi > C agidyne. Hold down the A agi, and charge up firebreak as they are falling to the ground. Release A agi on their wake up as a meaty and do an unblockable D maragi. This set up as far as I know is only beatable by DP.

2) In awakening, off a B agidyne > D maragidyne confirm. Charge up firebreak as they are being pulled to you, and do SB agi right on top of them. This gives you a meaty unblockable agi and you can confirm this into a single maragi loop. This one afaik is completely unavoidable. I'll try to provide links later, but you can find them in the most recent match play videos in the video thread

Didn't see these posted so I figure I'd just list a couple I've seen Stunedge use.

1) Off the corner confirm go into A agi > C agidyne. Hold down the A agi, and charge up firebreak as they are falling to the ground. Release A agi on their wake up as a meaty and do an unblockable D maragi. This set up as far as I know is only beatable by DP.

2) In awakening, off a B agidyne > D maragidyne confirm. Charge up firebreak as they are being pulled to you, and do SB agi right on top of them. This gives you a meaty unblockable agi and you can confirm this into a single maragi loop. This one afaik is completely unavoidable. I'll try to provide links later, but you can find them in the most recent match play videos in the video thread

Stunedge is among one of the best Yukiko players I have seen. Thanks for sharing these setups that Stunedge used before on here. :)

I merged the information from the Blockstrings etc. thread into this one because it was pretty redundant. All info and posts from there have been moved over and I re-organized the first two posts. Other than changing the name of the thread and the re-organization, I triple checked to make sure no information was lost. Feel free to change it up to your liking though since I just organized it to how I understood all the info.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm really happy you guys are active and contributing but having and tips and tricks thread along with a blockstrings thread made the board look cluttered when they could easily be fit into one concise thread. :D <3

I merged the information from the Blockstrings etc. thread into this one because it was pretty redundant. All info and posts from there have been moved over and I re-organized the first two posts. Other than changing the name of the thread and the re-organization, I triple checked to make sure no information was lost. Feel free to change it up to your liking though since I just organized it to how I understood all the info.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm really happy you guys are active and contributing but having and tips and tricks thread along with a blockstrings thread made the board look cluttered when they could easily be fit into one concise thread. :D <3

hmmm good point

FREE CHARGE, if the person is respecting you too much take a risk and end your block string with 214 c/d or after a 236b charge up if you have them use to 236b 66 3d 5bb oki

I have to agree there. Having two separate threads; one for tips & tricks, and one for blockstrings will make things cluttered and confusing. Thanks for merging the threads together, pk. I'm also glad that I am able to help out the Yukiko sections by contributing stuff and threads to help out with the forums. :) <3

I also apologize for making two separate threads for tips and tricks and blockstrings. I just want to help out a bit and contribute stuff to the Yukiko sections by making threads for tips, tricks, and blockstrings.