Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

huey253

[CP] Bang Gameplay Discussion

What they talked about was some air normals being short starters, not having nerfed damage. It's still unclear but the average jumping attack should still lead to the same ballpark damage that it does now.

Hello everybody, in some video in Nico i watched some time ago, some Bang did something like a teleport cancel, i investigated a little (actually a whole week >_>) i make a video with the results, if you people want a little tutorial of this i can try and make some.

You do that by barrier canceling the start up of 5D right? From what I can tell you have to hit with the very beginning of 5D's guard point in order to do it. And after you do that you can either barrier cancel it right away, or teleport and barrier cancel it. If it could be done consistently, it would be really strong since the reward you can get off of it is amazing. Plus not having to deal with blockstun is always great.

Unfortunately I think that it's too precise to be used in a real match consistently, but if you can do it that'd be great!

You do that by barrier canceling the start up of 5D right? From what I can tell you have to hit with the very beginning of 5D's guard point in order to do it. And after you do that you can either barrier cancel it right away, or teleport and barrier cancel it.

Unfortunately I think that it's too precise to be used in a real match consistently, but if you can do it that'd be great!

It's not just cancel it with barrier, it can be canceled with CT, throw or OD. Yesterday while playing some matches i did it various times, it feels really good when you escape of corner-presure and do an instant-punish of 5.4K in corner to Hakumen. Feels good.

It's not just cancel it with barrier, it can be canceled with CT, throw or OD. Yesterday while playing some matches i did it various times, it feels really good when you escape of corner-presure and do an instant-punish of 5.4K in corner to Hakumen. Feels good.

But still, I wonder how that actually works. I have no idea what the input for cancelling it is, so I can't really be too sure. If you can tell us, that would be nice :3

I tried it for a bit, and it seems that you have to do input the OD/CT/ whatever almost instantaneously. I also find that you don't have to teleport before doing it

I tried it for a bit, and it seems that you have to do input the OD/CT/ whatever almost instantaneously. I also find that you don't have to teleport before doing it

So you kara cancel it? Thats gonna be a hard one to do. I just wanna know so I can do it all the time and freak people out.

Double Posting, whatever

FINALLY DONE THE GUIDE!!

Tell me if I missed anything or got anything wrong. I want this to be the best guide :3

But still, I wonder how that actually works. I have no idea what the input for cancelling it is, so I can't really be too sure. If you can tell us, that would be nice :3

Yeah, tonight i will start with the video tutorial of the how to do "The Truco". But i don't know when will be finished xD

Tell me if I missed anything or got anything wrong. I want this to be the best guide :3

You.are.the.man. I was in such dire need of this. Can't wait to start studying and practicing it later this week.

Not sure where to post for this, I wanted feedback so I didn't put it in the Video thread. I began playing Bang recently and have a couple first to 3s/5s I've recorded. I have a bigger batch of casuals but won't make you guys wade through that crap lol.

Anyway, if you get bored I'm open to criticism, I won't take offense. (To be fair to Tage*Proto, it was super late at night when we got to doing this FT3. And Secret High Tier destroyed me in this FT5, I wasn't adapting at all).

And here's a highlight clip from a long casual set lol...

Alright gang, I come to you as a very rusty nail, no where near my former self. What is bang new block strings? I keep instinctively doing 5a, 5b, 2b, into tiger knee D-nails, thinking I'm going continue the pressure but I fly waaay high into the sky. So what are some of your suggestions? I been trying NOW crap like 5a, 5b, 6a, or 2b, 5b, 6a...I don't know, I'm just pulling things out of my ass to go into an over head or low. My fave is still 5c, 6b, rapid, 66, j.5b, j.6c into whatever. But whats the most efficient way of doing things?

2B isn't jump cancellable on block any more and D nails carry momentum so yeah, that's not gonna work any more XD.

2B>6B, jump cancel on block 5B, 6A>6B and 5C>6A are all good things when used in the right time. You can always stick in an IAD j4B off of blocked 5B and 5C too.

That RC thing is actually very nice, you wanna do j2C instead of jC though since that move's better for air to ground in CP, against a lot of chars you can then do web nail into 2D into seal combos or if you're near the corner go to 5B for the standard crouching corner combo.

Also, if you have meter and have conditioned your foe to block high with your 6Bs you can do a 2B>3C blockstring if you have meter for RC, if you have the right feeling for it it can lead to tons of damage.

You.are.the.man. I was in such dire need of this. Can't wait to start studying and practicing it later this week.

Not sure where to post for this, I wanted feedback so I didn't put it in the Video thread. I began playing Bang recently and have a couple first to 3s/5s I've recorded. I have a bigger batch of casuals but won't make you guys wade through that crap lol.

Anyway, if you get bored I'm open to criticism, I won't take offense. (To be fair to Tage*Proto, it was super late at night when we got to doing this FT3. And Secret High Tier destroyed me in this FT5, I wasn't adapting at all).

Ok so I'll proceed writing stuff as it comes to me as I see it happen, usually the first reaction is the best for advice.

I don't like that daifunka in the first match, you were close to the corner and that was a j4B, you could get that much if not more meterless. Don't try to 623B so much, 5/2B's a better poke in neutral, 623B is good in the start of the match cause people do weird things but when they're cautious it's a big "hit me" button. Don't go for 5D in your blockstrings, too much of a hole in there, people can DP out on reaction or just backdash and then you gave up your pressure if not got punished. Instead of setting up bumpers while in neutral, move in, get knockdown, then end it in moves which cancel into bumpers so instead of those 2C>623Bs midscreen just 2C>bumper>more-pressure. The time you use to set up the bumper, although small, is time where you're allowing your foe to maneuver in a favorable position and it gives up your momentum that Bang thrives on. Instant Barrier more against chars such as Azrael where most of their things that cancel into other things are close range, you won't get to punish as much but you'll get out of pressure way quicker. Never ever ever do j623B midscreen unless you know it's gonna kill, even at the tiniest of doubts, just j2C. When near the corner such as in that 2D CH combo in the 8 minute mark of the first vid, you wanna do 5D after the web nail, then you get the 6D by doing 5C>6D>623B, the wallbounce of 5D is just insanely huge like that from that placement. You're not using enough poison nails in neutral to frustrate your foe into making unsafe approaches or D nails to win neutral, many of the matches that you were losing you had more than half of your nail unused, that's way way way worse than running out of nails as far as I'm concerned, I presume that Azrael being able to absorb em had something to do with it but still, you can whiff em on purpose and then punish 3C the growler if you see that he keeps trying to absorb em. Work on the stuff>6C>j22A>jC>665B>jC>IAD>stuff variant for your heavy midscreen standing confirm. If you're too far for a corner pickup off of 623B and have meter it's always worth it to rc the 623b and go for the combo anyways. 5B and 5C are jump cancellable on block, utilize that trait more, ideally with IAD j4Bs after the jump cancel. Not sure how you're inputting it but the way it comes out leads me to believe it's not 923B, if you wanna tk j623B you wanna input it as 923B. You wanna dash install your 3C whenever you have even the slightest inkling that it might be too far, dash installed 3C travels significantly further. React to Hazama stance moves with daifunka, it beats them all. jD does not combo after jC or after any air normal on normal hit for that matter, just instinctively go to j2C off of random air pokes (or jC>j623B if you're in wall bounce range). Counter assault is good with Bang since he lacks good defensive options. Bang's only + normal is 6A (+1) and his only even onen is 5A, due to this repeatedly using any normal not 5A is bound to get you poked out so you need longer strings or strings with jump cancels into them or something other than 5B wait 5B. You hold on to your burst for too long, sometimes early bursts just to keep momentum going are good with Bang since in this game bursts regen over time. 6D is a frame 1 guardpoint so use it more, it's not the best but it's something, use it in-between blockstrings when there's no overhead that could rationally be expected to come in the string your foe's doing rather than as a wakeup option.

And there we go, that's everything. Now, a small notice, you're actually quite good and I'm majorily nitpicking everything, I fully expect you to know at least a third of the things I wrote, but just to be safe I listed it anyways. The Hazama rocked you because you don't have that style of "relentless unending pressure into more, even more relentless and more infinite pressure, into death" all that down yet. You drop combos with him in the air and you go for stuff that leaves him full or near full screen and this matchups works in such a way that you only really ever get maybe 2 chances to pin him down before he gains 50 meter and then obtains a reversal. If you don't do all the work you're gonna do before that happens then it's gonna be a horribly uphill nigh unwinnable match so you have to not let him breath AT ALL early on and curbstomp enough until he gains his 50 meter, then you play cautiously and poison and watch out and burst.

Also, a general observation about you as a player is an oxymoronic one. You block very well and that's hurting you. You're too content sitting there not-barrier-blocking looking to poke out. Bang is bad at poking out, his 2A is 8 frames and his 5A is 6, you wanna instant barrier, create space, jump out, then throw nails or dash or instant air dash away. You were sitting there blocking very well but eventually you WILL get opened in this game and I saw that situation repeat itself over and over. When it's chars that get real combos off of their mixups, that's even more a situation where you just wanna get out of being mixed up as quickly as humanly possible.

Work on some advanced combos (combo thread in these forums, read all 20 pages of it, never enough knowledge!) and get that habit of always taking continued pressure over damage and you'll be fine. :D

2B isn't jump cancellable on block any more and D nails carry momentum so yeah, that's not gonna work any more XD.

2B>6B, jump cancel on block 5B, 6A>6B and 5C>6A are all good things when used in the right time. You can always stick in an IAD j4B off of blocked 5B and 5C too.

That RC thing is actually very nice, you wanna do j2C instead of jC though since that move's better for air to ground in CP, against a lot of chars you can then do web nail into 2D into seal combos or if you're near the corner go to 5B for the standard crouching corner combo.

Hmm, alright. So what are we using nails for then? I been mostly doing CS:EX stuff like after a 2c, i do B bumper jump and 1 or 3-dash behind them for another combo. Haven't found a use for 22a either except for grab combos and corner combos....but I recall seeing it used to float under a guy during an air combo and then doing j.4b. for some interesting stuff but I don't know who to look at anymore. Dora still doing the crazy stuff? or some other bang hero? Also thanks for answering dreiko...I'll hopefully improve my blockstring now.

Hmm, alright. So what are we using nails for then? I been mostly doing CS:EX stuff like after a 2c, i do B bumper jump and 1 or 3-dash behind them for another combo. Haven't found a use for 22a either except for grab combos and corner combos....but I recall seeing it used to float under a guy during an air combo and then doing j.4b. for some interesting stuff but I don't know who to look at anymore. Dora still doing the crazy stuff? or some other bang hero? Also thanks for answering dreiko...I'll hopefully improve my blockstring now.

Nails are used for poison nail combos, seal combos, umbrella, neutral, getting in after a non-counter burst/counter assault, bumpers and chipping out poisoned people. (those are the primary uses)

J22A is good for double overheads, j2C j22A j2C is a great mixup in the corner, you can also do j2c j22A barrier to bait DPs. Think of it like Plat's Swallow moon, you mostlly use it for combos, some blockstrings and a lot of gimmicks.

Nails are used for poison nail combos, seal combos, umbrella, neutral, getting in after a non-counter burst/counter assault, bumpers and chipping out poisoned people. (those are the primary uses)

J22A is good for double overheads, j2C j22A j2C is a great mixup in the corner, you can also do j2c j22A barrier to bait DPs. Think of it like Plat's Swallow moon, you mostlly use it for combos, some blockstrings and a lot of gimmicks.

Hmm I may have to post a video up so you can see the shenanigans I'm doing. Hopefully get some constructive criticism.

I really wish I could contribute to this thread with video stuff, but I don't have any recording equipment, I've actually meant to do a CMV in extend, but didn't have the money for a recorder. But I digress, I'll try to help in any way I can anyway. Remember, daifunka is the best 100 meter DP

Here are some ideas for blockstrings:

(2B >) 5B > 6A > 6B

(2B >) 5B > 6A > 2C

if it hits on standing go into 6A > 6C instead, and you can combo

5A > 2A or 5A > Command Grab or 2A > Command Gab

It's very difficult to get command grab after the opponent blocks both 5A and 2A so that one is mostly out, chose one or the other.

5C > 6A > 2C

5C > 6A > 6B

5C > 6A > 5A (good frame trap)

5A > 6A > 5A (will stuff mashers trying to 2A during 5A > 5C and 6A > 6B)

For nails, give nail gliding with D nails a try, you will see how great they've become for getting in.

IAD 236D

you can also try

2369B and airdash very low, before touching the ground, with an exploding nail out in front of you.

in terms of resetting pressure, airdashing after a blocked 5B is usually unexpected, and often works a bit until the opponent catches on.

^Thanks for the blockstring ideas!

Snip

*You're too content sitting there not-barrier-blocking looking to poke out. You were sitting there blocking very well but eventually you WILL get opened in this game and I saw that situation repeat itself over and over.

* (combo thread in these forums, read all 20 pages of it, never enough knowledge!)

(Snipped a lot but I want to comment on all of it haha)

I feel like I owe you money. Thank you SO much for taking the time to do all of this. Also, even if I do 'know' some of the things you mentioned, I clearly haven't put them into practice or am unconsciously doing things, so it's great to hear it or have it pointed out regardless.

I needed to hear the nail usage comment. I knew I wasn't using them enough, but I needed to hear it lol.

The blocking thing is so true. Part of me just IBs cause it's fun and reminds me of other games' just defends, part of me is purposely doing it a lot to get comfortable with it, then ween off it and work on barrier/barrier-IBing more. But you're so right, even if I'm decent at blocking, I will get opened up sooner or later (Evident in even the matches I posted).

I really like that philosophy on how to approach the Hazama match. That, paired with your advice to pressure more, go for better knockdowns and stay on them is what I am probably going to work on the most now. I actually had no idea 5C is jump cancelable, that has changed my life lol... And I need to start doing it off 5B, too.

In short, I agree with all of your critiques and advice, even as a new Bang player I see the reasoning behind them. I'm stubborn and want to use j.623B as an ender when I shouldn't haha, and I am stubborn with 5D at the end of block strings, but I'll do my best to curtail both of those haha.

Crunch week at work this week but I can't wait to sit down with this and that FRKZ tutorial and try to better my Bang.

Thanks a ton!

I miss the old FRKZ

We all do by now, this ain't news to anyone. Lol

But yeah I understand how ya feel...but at least unlimited Bang has the good old FRKZ :P

^Thanks for the blockstring ideas!

(Snipped a lot but I want to comment on all of it haha)

I feel like I owe you money. Thank you SO much for taking the time to do all of this. Also, even if I do 'know' some of the things you mentioned, I clearly haven't put them into practice or am unconsciously doing things, so it's great to hear it or have it pointed out regardless.

I needed to hear the nail usage comment. I knew I wasn't using them enough, but I needed to hear it lol.

The blocking thing is so true. Part of me just IBs cause it's fun and reminds me of other games' just defends, part of me is purposely doing it a lot to get comfortable with it, then ween off it and work on barrier/barrier-IBing more. But you're so right, even if I'm decent at blocking, I will get opened up sooner or later (Evident in even the matches I posted).

I really like that philosophy on how to approach the Hazama match. That, paired with your advice to pressure more, go for better knockdowns and stay on them is what I am probably going to work on the most now. I actually had no idea 5C is jump cancelable, that has changed my life lol... And I need to start doing it off 5B, too.

In short, I agree with all of your critiques and advice, even as a new Bang player I see the reasoning behind them. I'm stubborn and want to use j.623B as an ender when I shouldn't haha, and I am stubborn with 5D at the end of block strings, but I'll do my best to curtail both of those haha.

Crunch week at work this week but I can't wait to sit down with this and that FRKZ tutorial and try to better my Bang.

Thanks a ton!

Sounds good, you'll find a lot of matchups with Bang are like that actually. Some of the worst ones on paper such as Tao or Valk are winnable if you master that style I mention.

And you're welcome, I hope I didn't overload you with info XD.

I really wish I could contribute to this thread with video stuff, but I don't have any recording equipment, I've actually meant to do a CMV in extend, but didn't have the money for a recorder. But I digress, I'll try to help in any way I can anyway. Remember, daifunka is the best 100 meter DP

Hehe, I don't have any video capturing stuff either. Doesn't seem to stop me!

If you feel you can help then go ahead, not everything needs to be in video form lol.

Well we got localizations for movelists so here's what we got for bang;

Hurricane Fury: Hyper Shadowstep Attack

Flying Squirrel:Flaming Air Attack

and turns out, OD FRKZ is actually Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan EX

...WHAT?

Well we got localizations for movelists so here's what we got for bang;

Hurricane Fury: Hyper Shadowstep Attack

Flying Squirrel:Flaming Air Attack

and turns out, OD FRKZ is actually Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan EX

...WHAT?

What do you you mean Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan EX?! TELL ME MOREE!!!