Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Watches

AC: General Q&A

Since there are obviously going to be some questions that don't belong under strategy, lockdown, combos, or matchups, I figure we could use a Q&A thread. Probably anything about individual moves or things like inputs should go here. So ask a question here, and someone will answer it!

I'm having trouble tking Kokkugeki, it just seems to randomly work or not. Is there some kind of height requirement or something?

I'm having trouble tking Kokkugeki, it just seems to randomly work or not. Is there some kind of height requirement or something?

Yep. there's a minimum height. Basically, I think the move will not come out if the green chain would go into the ground at all, as I've been able to get it very low. Also I'm moving this.

So ya... I'm new to Axl and quite an impressive set of info you guys got here. My question is: If I want to counter a move without using Axl's counter to avoid tick throws, what move should I use? Bentengari?

So ya... I'm new to Axl and quite an impressive set of info you guys got here.

My question is:

If I want to counter a move without using Axl's counter to avoid tick throws, what move should I use? Bentengari?

Personally, I'd try to 1fJ to chicken block, but if you're absolutely sure it'll be a tick-throw, probably Benten would be good, yeah. I think the hard version has more throw invincibility, actually.

Here are my thoughts / experiences / suggestions on the topic: - If it’s a normal throw try to counter throw / throw break. You hold the advantage framewise if he wants to tick throw you (but of course the problem is figuring out his throw attempt). - Benten is seldom an option against any tick setups as you seldom have enough time to first figure out what he’s doing and then input the 623 and as most ticks don’t leave you in blockstun long enough to reliably buffer that move. - If the gap is big enough you can go for 5K / 2K into combo / pressure, but this is only good for „oh he’s blocking all my mixup lets run up and throw him “things and you have to develop an eye for such stuff. - Against „tick command throws“ jump.. you can’t counterthrow as they usually have a higher throw range and you won’t get a throw tech. Poking isn’t an option as you don’t have a normal fast enough (5K is 6frames which means the 5 Frames throw inv. after blockstun ended won’t suffice). Furthermore you just can hold up once you expect it which means there is no motion input that will cost you extra time (and with 4 frames of startup it is Axls fastest option against throws). If you’re good with 1frame jumps do that, but in the heat of battle I often simply do a normal jump and in many cases this is fast enough. - If the tick throw is done out of pressure and I know that a backdash will secure me against most of his other options , I buffer a backdash while I’m in blockstun so that I BD as early as possible after that ends. But this is valid only in very specific situations and actually involves some „educated guessing“. - I experimented with using BDs on reaction against throw attempts, especially against command throw setups but I nearly always failed.. even back, neutral, back takes time.. if you can’t buffer it forget it.

Does Axl have any links? Sometimes I connect with a 6HS, then go for a 5K>2D and it combos. I know it always does this on CH, but on a normal hit I'm curious. I also need a lot of work on blockstrings. I have really bad pressure and although I've read the lockdown and pressure thread, I'm still curious as to what some basic blockstrings you guys do are. Also, last thing for now; What are some good tick throw set ups for Axl?

Here I have the list form the General Information thread from the matchup forums for the 6H into 5K, 2D rensen link.. but I guess I include it in the combo thread as well.

1. 6H as combo starter

Against about half of the cast it is possible to combo from a 6H into 5K, 2D, rensen even without a CH as long as it is done from the right distance and hits them crouching. The distance in which it is possible to combo is actually between the max range for 5K to connect and doing it right next to the opponent.

Here’s a list of possible setups to help you get a feeling for the for the right distance (end them with 6H):

5H / 3P / S© / 5K, S© / 2K, S© / 5K, 3P / 5K, 5H / S©, 5H

Except against those characters marked with * (or **) the best way to do them is out of a dash or run, starting the pattern right next to the character (so the best way to incorporate that into your gameplay is either after a FRCed Rensen or after a KD with the initial attack being meaty.

Works on:

ABA*

Anji

Bridget

Baiken*: only 3P / 5H / 5K, 3P (harder then the rest) / 5K, 5H

Chipp

Eddie

Faust** (against him you can even do: 5K, S©, 5H and S(f), 5H)

INO

May*: only 5H / 3P (quite risky) / 5K, 5H

Millia

Venom*

Zappa

* If you do a single hit setup too close to the character 6H will cross him up without even hitting them.

** Since Faust has such a broad hitbox while crouching 6H will cross him up, but will still hit. Nevertheless if this happens you won’t be able to combo.

Does not work on:

Axl, Dizzy*, Jam, Johnny, Ky*, Order SOL, Potemkin, Robo-Ky*, Slayer, SOL, Testament

* If you do 6H too close it will cross them up without hitting them.

(Nevertheless this is nothing you can rely on too much as 6H is easily blocked on reaction)

Apart from that the only noteworthy (= needs some practice) link is the 3P (CH) into 5K, 5P, 2S, SJC, j.H, j.D, 623H..

This one is in the combo tutorial vid as well and the (not too) hard part is the hitconfirm not the link ;).

I was wonder about Axl's counters. I know the punch one does normal attacks and the kick one does lows, however I am not to sure about the dp punch one. Could anyone explain it to me?

The dragonpunch one will counter pretty much anything thats not a low, projectiles, normals, w/e... but its not guaranteed like the other counters, as the opponent may be able to cancel into another move to counter the counter, or it may leave you open if you use it to eat a projectile and they hit you while you're going through the motions.

The dragonpunch one will counter pretty much anything thats not a low, projectiles, normals, w/e... but its not guaranteed like the other counters, as the opponent may be able to cancel into another move to counter the counter, or it may leave you open if you use it to eat a projectile and they hit you while you're going through the motions.

TRUE! However, that makes it sound like it's not as good as the others.

On the contrary, the 623P counter is much more viable in most situations, given that it comes out in two frames (same speed as Jam's parry), is unblockable on the ground (must be faultlessed in the air), and is invincible from activation to hit. That being said, it's still a fairly risky move.

Sorry that this doesn't actually have to do with Axl, but you mentioned a Player 1 Recovery Bug? What is that?

Er... I'm not quite sure what you mean, but in the Japanese console release of AC, there was a bug on the player one side where some of Axl's moves didn't do enough hitstun/untech, making certain combos not work. It's fixed in the US version.

Oh OK, that's what I meant. Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, and is it fixed in AC+, or just the American version?

I dunno about AC+. All I know is it has some weird glitches of its own, so I didn't bother.

Now that I'm practicing Axl, I've been trying to learn how to TK Bomber, but for some reason I can't do it, and end up getting j.H or Bentengari. Whats werid though, is I can TK Mad Struggle with Venom pretty much every time is there any reason why this would be? The input I use is 62369HS

Unfortunately, because Axl has benten, you can't do a "true" TK in the sense that mad struggle is one. Basically, you have to input the H button AFTER jump startup (4F) has finished, since even if you do it right and input the H within those four frames, the game will just consider it a JI'd Benten. Raei and Kokuu having the same command causes the same problem (Though that's not as much of a problem, since Kokuu has a minimum height anyway and JI Raei is a cool move.) The only move you can really TK before jump startup has ended is FB bomber.

I use 6293 HS, if that helps any.

This honestly seems like an incredibly unwieldly motion. I do 6923.

Heh. Honestly, I will often do 6239 to the right, 632193 to the left. Dunno why, but that's what works for me. I did 6923 in Slash, but that's because it was a cheater way to make the input last until the jump got to the minimum height requirement. I STILL to this day use 6328214S to do TK Kokuugeki on the left side, though on the right my motion's more like a 360 (or 270?) Frankly, the input is whatever works for you. As long as you can get it low to the ground, there's no real "Optimal" way to do it in any practical sense.

Dunno where to put this question, so I'll post it here. I've been messing in training mode to find nice combos that use 50% tension and I found those two : 5+K, c.S, 5+HS, rensengeki-> FRC-> dash-> TK Kokuugeki-> FRC-> Air-dash-> j.D-> bomber-> dash-> 2+S-> j.D-> Bomber-> Rensengeki-> 2 5+K, c.S, 5+HS, rensengeki-> FRC-> dash-> j.D, Kokuugeki-> FRC-> Air-dash-> j.D-> bomber-> dash-> 2+S-> j.D-> Bomber-> Rensengeki-> 2 They both do the same damage, the first is ~ 17 hits and the second ~ 20 hits (tested on Millia) So ? Why not posting combos in the combo thread ? Well because I noticed something about the FRC Rensengeki. Usually, it does 3 hits if not FRC, but depending on the distance and maybe the time for the FRC input only 2 or 1 actually hit. And it has (huge ?) consequences on the combos above. For example, on Millia, the second does 265 dmg, when 2 hit from rensen hit, whereas it does 275 dmg if only one hits... So here's my question : how much proration do Rensen's hit do ? And how can I constantly hit 1, 2 or 3 hits only ? As the second is harder to succeed and doesn't do much more damages than the first, I was wondering if I should keep it somewhere if rensen's hits could be mastered, or just forget it and keep the first one, that I manage to do constantly...