Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AetherEdge

New to the Site and Main Question

Hi there peoples, I'm new to the site so I decided to come here to get some advice and to introduce myself.

Well, long story short, my question is about mains in fighting games in general. I'm not concerned with finding a main, more like wondering how to stick with a main or character you like to main.

I see the match videos of people in tournaments, taking the character and really bringing them out. I even look at the PSR ratings online just to see who's great, and how much, with a character. But when I decide to pick a character I like, I end up bombing online and sometimes against the AI. After some matches I can't help but feel shame at the win % or my PSR. It makes me feel like that's not my playstyle or character, even though I enjoy that character.

How do you guys do it?

If I'm looking for a character to pick, I usually just pick whoever interests me (as a character more so than how they play, if that makes any sense). I suppose if you like who the character is, your drive to get better with them is more "intense."

^ I guess he's saying that he has a character he enjoys, but it seems like he can't play it the same way as the top players do.

First off I guess, what character is it? You could bring this question to the character's subforum and get critiques on your gameplay. Otherwise, when you watch videos of top players and see what they do, instead of thinking "wow, I never do that, they're much smarter than me" you should just think "wow, I need to start doing that" and do it. Pick a player and try to emulate that player as much as possible in your gameplay.

To be honest, these problems don't sound related to the character at all. If you're upset that you pick up a character and can't immediately win with it, well...who can? You need to practice to become good. Spend some more time in the lab and less time worrying about your PSR.

To be honest, these problems don't sound related to the character at all. If you're upset that you pick up a character and can't immediately win with it, well...who can? You need to practice to become good. Spend some more time in the lab and less time worrying about your PSR.

This.

While enjoying playing your character is important and will help you play better, it won't help you so much that it eliminates the need for practice.

^ I guess he's saying that he has a character he enjoys, but it seems like he can't play it the same way as the top players do.

First off I guess, what character is it? You could bring this question to the character's subforum and get critiques on your gameplay. Otherwise, when you watch videos of top players and see what they do, instead of thinking "wow, I never do that, they're much smarter than me" you should just think "wow, I need to start doing that" and do it. Pick a player and try to emulate that player as much as possible in your gameplay.

Well its a general question in regards to staying with a character. I find it hard to see the end goal through the defeats and shortcomings. I don't have a particular play style, I just pick the character I like the most and try to get good with them. This was the case in MvC3 with Hsien-ko and Sentinel, Lambda in CS1, Carl in CS2, and Relius in CSEX. Now I'm in P4A and want to learn Shadow Labrys because I like how she plays (using two people at once) and just because I like the character. I suppose it boils down to how to stick with a main instead of trying to learn a higher "tier" character.

Yeah, tiers are for high level play, like comparing two cars in a neck and neck race. But if you're still learning how to drive in the first place it doesn't really matter which one you can squeeze the most juice out of as a race car driver. The stuff holding you back is knowing how to turn and parallel park and things like that.

But it's nothing to be ashamed of. You're on the same path as everybody else. Some people just started walking down it earlier.

But it's nothing to be ashamed of. You're on the same path as everybody else. Some people just started walking down it earlier.

Yeah. This is something that gets lost a LOT.

Next time you lose to someone online, pull up their player card thing and see how many games they have logged. I have a Ragna player I go back and forth with a little, but who mostly beats me (probably about 70% of the time, overall) and it gets discouraging until I look and realize that he has roughly three times the number of games logged that I do. And that's just in the current version of whatever. Lots of these people have been playing these games since like 1997 or earlier, and that adds up to a monstrous sense of of the basics of these games.

Well, another thing that bothers me is when I get to higher level play. I don't want to get to that point, spending all that time, mastering a B tier character or something like that. But I don't want to play with a character that I don't enjoy just because they are higher tier (with more options).

stop caring about tiers. the difference between characters in this game is better overcome by smart play + training than picking a better character.

Well, another thing that bothers me is when I get to higher level play. I don't want to get to that point, spending all that time, mastering a B tier character or something like that. But I don't want to play with a character that I don't enjoy just because they are higher tier (with more options).

If you get good enough with your character you can overcome their handicaps.

Ok, if you're really serious about playing at a high level, you first need to get to that high level. How do you get there? Playing a lot, with a character you like. Your investment will not have been wasted, believe me. Most of what you learn is going to be universally applicable to all characters, and to a lesser extent, all FGs.

What you're doing right now is spreading yourself too thin, so you'll never learn anything of value. Mastery of a single bottom tier character in a game that nobody plays is worth more, experience-wise, than being mediocre with the entire cast of all the games out there.

Playing a lower tier character will make you a better player anyway. You'll have to close the gap yourself rather than relying on the character. It's like training weights.

Not really, low tier'ness made me quit going to locals and staying in the training room for more than 2 mins.

Just pick the character you like the most because you're gonna play it with nearly all matches and practice on using him/her a lot, and don't worry about the "i am wasting my effort on the wrong character/game" as skill can be easily transferred from a character to another and from a game to a game.

Not really, low tier'ness made me quit going to locals and staying in the training room for more than 2 mins.

Just pick the character you like the most because you're gonna play it with nearly all matches and practice on using him/her a lot, and don't worry about the "i am wasting my effort on the wrong character/game" as skill can be easily transferred from a character to another and from a game to a game.

Well, if you don't like it that's one thing. You should play who you like first. But, let's take a character that's top tier and can just faceroll everybody. Whoever plays that character is going to be able to get away with lots of sloppy stuff and won't have to ever develop their game as much as somebody who has a character that has problems that the player himself needs to overcome to stand a chance.

The tier won't have a drastic effect usually but having a less capable character can force you to explore as many options as possible that you otherwise wouldn't need to. Even if the character is worse, your own skill as a player can be better.

But yeah what I'm getting at is, the important part is developing your skill, and which you can transfer between games and characters; at least, the basics of it. In games like BB you have to specialize in just one character if you want to go anywhere. They are too complex and different to just dabble in a few and get by.

If you are really serious about getting better in a FG then stop caring about win-loss and PSR. At the end of the day, they're just numbers.

Well, if you don't like it that's one thing. You should play who you like first. But, let's take a character that's top tier and can just faceroll everybody. Whoever plays that character is going to be able to get away with lots of sloppy stuff and won't have to ever develop their game as much as somebody who has a character that has problems that the player himself needs to overcome to stand a chance.

The tier won't have a drastic effect usually but having a less capable character can force you to explore as many options as possible that you otherwise wouldn't need to. Even if the character is worse, your own skill as a player can be better.

But yeah what I'm getting at is, the important part is developing your skill, and which you can transfer between games and characters; at least, the basics of it. In games like BB you have to specialize in just one character if you want to go anywhere. They are too complex and different to just dabble in a few and get by.

I'd blame the characters for that, someone who plays Bang will most likely get the jumping 24/7 habit for example.