Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeth07

[CP] Azrael - Gameplay Discussion (Pre-Console Release)

You can jump cancel forward dash? Yup, gonna play this character. stuff is gonna be op.

Think about it.

Land a move for knockdown. Forward dash through opponent, 9 jump toward him, j.2D for meaty cross up, get low weak point. Screw you inferno divider hahaha.

I played about 100 games on the recent loketest with Azrael, some additions and opinions:

Drive properties with weakpoint applied:

j.D, j.2D - ground bounces

2D - knockdown which can be followed up (similar to hakumens 3C on counter hit for example)

236D and 214D aren't unblockable even with weakpoints applied and/or fully charged.

236236D - Standing unblockable with upper weak point and crouching unblockable with lower weakpoint. So you know what happens with both weakpoints applied, right? Can still be air barrier guarded though.

Azraels combos are mostly links like AC Slayer, but much easier.

You probably want to finish with a weakpoint whenever you can, even if you have to use some tension or sacrifice some damage.

Valiant Charger combos does not only good damage, you can also carry your opponent into the corner regardless where you are.

Combos I used with red weakpoint applied:

Front or Back Throw > 236D > 6 > (5C>6) *2 > Crash Trigger > j.B > j.C > dj.D (about 3900 damage and weakpoint reapplied for 25%)

5BB > 236A > RC > 236D > 6 > (5C>6) *4 > Crash Trigger > j.B > j.C > dj.D (75% combo, can't remember the damage, probably 4400 or so)

His forward step doesn't seem to have any invincibility, even if it looks like it does. It's like a fast, small ranged teleport, so it can still be used to dodge projectiles if you time it right. Able to cross up even with opponent in the corner.

His backstep has plenty of invincibility and is also very fast. Felt almost a little bit broken imo.

edit: i meant "invincibility" not "invisibility"

Thank you so much for the information!

The ability to Dash through people in the corner sounds pretty big tbh. It's sounding like a strong mixup tool in all honesty, and that backdash. I'm hoping it's like Tager's.

Thanks again for that information, those throw combos look awesome.

The ability to Dash through people in the corner sounds pretty big tbh. It's sounding like a strong mixup tool in all honesty, and that backdash. I'm hoping it's like Tager's.

No one was really able to react to those forward dash mixups, everyone seemed to be very surprised how fast it is. Crossing people up in the corner and carry them all the way to the opposite corner was satisfying as hell.

But people will get more used to it after a while.

doubt it, but as long as 236A is anything similar to slayer 236P, then I'm good with this. just wish he could feint it hahaha.

The dash sounds pretty strong then. I can imagine that used sparingly, we could always use it depending on how safe it is. Maybe some RC > Dash Shenanigans could be gimmicky enough to be an asset.

Actually, does anyone know if the dash can be jump canceled like Slayer can with his?

Actually, does anyone know if the dash can be jump canceled like Slayer can with his?

No idea yet, I wouldn't be surprised either way, though.

It's in the first post, and Amadeous already asked as well on page 1.....

I was comparing it to how useful Slayer's JC is. Typed it wrong doh'.

His 5B(1) looks like it has a substantial hitbox above Azrael, he swatted Valk out of the Sky numerous times on CH. (OP Videos)

If the CH histun isn't enough to get a substantial AA combo (Which I doubt. It will easily be enough) I wonder if we can slam them down with 5BB into a weakpoint?

I can't believe I missed that, sorry.

Also, I wonder if his DD's unblockables just converts into an overhead/low if there is only a single weakpoint.

ways to guard Black Hawk Stinger:

With upper weakpoint

Standing:×

Crouching:○

Air barrier:○

With lower weakpoint

Standing:○

Crouching:×

Both weakpoints

Air Barrier:○

236236D after a guarded 5C seems to be the most realistic way to land it.

My opponent told me that he couldn't use hakumens counter between the 5C and DD.

So counter assault and burst are probably the only ways out after a normally blocked 5C. Don't know about instant guard.

Also weakpoints didn't disappear even if it hits (unlike most other drive attacks)

Combined with Azraels Overdrive or Scud Punishment this could be pretty strong.

I don't know if someone said this or not but, from what i've read he seem to have super armor on his Astral similar to his other moves. I say this because it would explain why some people say it a counter and some say it can combo. (maybe this was obvious, whatever) Can't wait for more info and vids of Azrael.

ways to guard Black Hawk Stinger:

With upper weakpoint

Crouching:○

With lower weakpoint

Standing:○

Both weakpoints

Air Barrier:○

236236D after a guarded 5C seems to be the most realistic way to land it.

My opponent told me that he couldn't use hakumens counter between the 5C and DD.

So counter assault and burst are probably the only ways out after a normally blocked 5C. Don't know about instant guard.

Also weakpoints didn't disappear even if it hits (unlike most other drive attacks)

Combined with Azraels Overdrive or Scud Punishment this could be pretty strong.

That sounds interesting.

If they can't do anything even on instant block that means 5C has a ton of blockstun and/or is + on block, or Black Hawk Stinger has very fast startup after superflash.

To put it into perspective:

If Bang does 5C>Daifunka/Ashura against Hakumen this can happen:

5C>Daifunka w/ 5C normal blocked = nothing

5C>Daifunka w/ 5C instant blocked = 2D

5C>Ashura w/ 5C normal blocked = nothing

5C>Ashura w/ 5C instant blocked = still nothing.

I believe Bang's 5C has 18 frames of blockstun but is -8 on block. Due to the startup of Daifunka, if it is IB'd there's a few frames gap in between for Hakumen or anyone with a good reversal to hit him out of it. So if 5C just had 3 more frames of blockstun or Daifunka started 3 frames faster they could do nothing in between.

Meanwhile Ashura only has 9 frames of startup, so they can't do anything in between even on IB.

This is kind of a big deal because it either becomes something they can deal with if they are good at blocking, or is a complete unblockable with the obvious weakpoints applied.

I don't know if someone said this or not but, from what i've read he seem to have super armor on his Astral similar to his other moves. I say this because it would explain why some people say it a counter and some say it can combo. (maybe this was obvious, whatever) Can't wait for more info and vids of Azrael.

I'll add a note about that just in case. It'd be similar to how Relius' Astral works in this case if I'm not mistaken.

Well it seems to be that stinger is supposed to be incredibly fast. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were guaranteed unblockable set-ups from knockdown as anyone with both weaknesses would be forced to jump it and pre-jump frames can be a pain.

Lots of Azrael play today on just about every stream

BHS is the best distortion in the game

I saw him do the unblockable BHS with both weakpoints applied, then OD which I believe put both weakpoints on again immediately, then do another BHS unblockable.

I was kinda late to doing it as I was watching that one Azrael, but I started to "restream" matches when Azrael popped up in hopes that if these matches don't get uploaded normally I would still have them available for reference somewhere.

I don't think BHS consumes weak points on contact, at least I'm almost certain I saw earlier that someone ate a BHS with two weak points and they just stayed on afterward. I could be wrong though.

At the very least, both BHS and scud punishment look incredibly useful, as do all his specials really. I'm sure valiant charger is going to generate some salt in its time.

If BHS doesnt remove weakpoints i bet my life we can make some ridiculously good damage resets post BHS.

This has me wondering what his best use of meter would be for. RC's are always good, but do you reckon they will take priority over BHS? (I only say this because I can imagine Azrael being a pretty safe character) :?: