Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star-Demon

Star's Beginner Series - WIP

Hey guys - This is something I'm making for my local newbies. It'll be several episodes long and catered to casuals, trying to bridge the gap.

FGE101 - Introduction

FGE102 - Attitudes and THE BEST ADVICES EVER

I'm looking to improve this and post more, so let me know if you think I need to move things around, fix things up, etc.

How much work are you willing to put into this? I don't think it is bad, but if you did some more read throughs of a script this video could have been much shorter. Not that it is too long, but you want to match the length to the length of the content and there were a lot of thinking pauses and linguistic stumbles that slowed things down a lot. The just buy the game section was some three times longer than it needed to be.

Just for your personal friends that's probably ok, but if you're hoping to reach as wide an audience as you can get then there's things you can do. I love these kinds of projects. Communication is so interesting.

How much work are you willing to put into this? I don't think it is bad, but if you did some more read throughs of a script this video could have been much shorter. Not that it is too long, but you want to match the length to the length of the content and there were a lot of thinking pauses and linguistic stumbles that slowed things down a lot. The just buy the game section was some three times longer than it needed to be.

Just for your personal friends that's probably ok, but if you're hoping to reach as wide an audience as you can get then there's things you can do. I love these kinds of projects. Communication is so interesting.

I'm not really sure with how good I want it to be. There are already plenty of video series and podcasts covering this stuff from way more established (and respected) players. The chief reason I'm doing this one is to be a little more audience specific and more personal.

SO - I wanted to just do this as a podcast but I'm really concerned for how long each one is and how much attention I can get and hold for people I share it with. Funny gifs help, I don't think I'll be using video unless I really have something I have to SHOW them in the game, which isn't much right now.

I don't like scripts because I'd rather use points and discuss details I've placed inside points. I want to make it conversational, not sterile or impersonal. When I really don't like a take I record my idea again and paste in.

I thought it was fine. It makes it sound more natural when you're just talking instead of reading a set thing.

I'm not really sure with how good I want it to be. There are already plenty of video series and podcasts covering this stuff from way more established (and respected) players. The chief reason I'm doing this one is to be a little more audience specific and more personal.

SO - I wanted to just do this as a podcast but I'm really concerned for how long each one is and how much attention I can get and hold for people I share it with. Funny gifs help, I don't think I'll be using video unless I really have something I have to SHOW them in the game, which isn't much right now.

I don't like scripts because I'd rather use points and discuss details I've placed inside points. I want to make it conversational, not sterile or impersonal. When I really don't like a take I record my idea again and paste in.

Just because you have a script doesn't mean it isn't conversational. Though I guess for some people they might be tempted to just read the script.

It is more like running through it to know how to say what you are thinking so you say it without stumbling around unnecessarily. It isn't that much different from having the same conversation twice with 2 different people. The second time you have a much better idea of what you want to say and how to say it, but it isn't like you aren't conversing with the second person.

You can even do it without the script and probably improve it if you just did the whole thing twice and pasted together the best parts. It is ok to be satisfied, but I like it when people push for more.

That's kinda what I did in some respects. For some sections I rerecorded and pasted together in audacity. I've tried reading from scripts before and it feels very uncomfortable, though. I'd rather try multiple takes.

This has come up too much already, so I have to address it - If I don't have the legitimacy as a player to be doing this I'll just shitcan it. The people I'm trying to teach the game are just on their own. I'll send them elsewhere.

This is an information project for new players. Strictly speaking it doesn't matter Who puts it together as long as he or she checks quality checks the info and presents it well.

Often times very skilled people aren't skilled presenters or teachers. The information a skilled person has is the easiest to borrow of the three. If you don't think you could do the whole thing by yourself you can always try to enlist help too. But I suppose if you don't care that much about the project and you're getting a lot of flak then you can just drop it and the world wouldn't end.

I like it when people try hard though.