Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akira-Shiro

[CP] Carl Clover Gameplay Discussion (Changelog in OP)

Is not that Nirvana is more durable, in fact her duration is the same as before. The only difference is that his gauge start recovering more faster. This is especially good on the corner, thank to being able to do solo combos with multiples j2.C~Allecancel in a way that you let Nirvana rest and begin the recovery process.

But, at midscreen this change will not influence us so much. Also, i know that is nice that the gauge no longer decreases during Nirvana’s activation animation, but i don't think this will help us to do longers combos with turning on/ turning off Nirvana.

A real buff in that department, would be that Nirvana moves cost lest. On EXT the average cost of Nirvana moves were around 600~720, but on CP the majority cost 1000. Why they just change the cost to an average of 800?

I was hopping a better Vertical box on 6A or cantabile solo combos, maybe less nirvana move consumption.

In the end, i think that Carl will stay almost identical than before. By no means that is bad, is the Top tier where nerfed, maybe Carl will go up a little bit and have less problems against S class.

Also, i dont think that being able to do solo combos will make Carl an S tier character. For him to being S, he woul need that Nirvana moves consume a little less, his normals a little bit more safe (5B -4 and 2B -6 Nice T_T) and a better way do do crossup when the opponent is barrier blocking you.

If Ada begins to recover HP faster, which is exactly what the buff listed does, then that means the cooldown after we cut her off has been shortened. Which of course will help us a lot at neutral. Also she no longer loses HP while idle, making her meter all the more greater. Its the small things that count. Not only that, but I have always wanted Carl to be a OD style character. But OD has never really been all that helpful to us. Sure we may get a new DD but thats really all we got. We use a burst to deal 600 extra damage during a combo. Now if we get a confirm but Ada is about to die we can, not only go into OD to make the combo burst safe, keep her from dying and auto regain her HP. All im saying, is that now Im going to be using OD a lot more than I am now. Her HP will never fall based on the design they have.

At neutral she gets hit, she cuts off, she regains her HP, we cut her back on. This process doesnt really work now because of how long we have to keep her off. I have always found myself thinking "Damn, will this robotic hoe start regenerating her HP back already" however she takes to long and the opponent starts to make their advances. Think EX Relius corner pressure. Tap>tap>3c>jd(Snap away)>jc>2a>2a>5b>2c/5c>6c>(Oh look, Ignus's Hp just regained by 70% while away)>214a. It's something that I always relied heavily on in EX while playing relius. He could pull off air tight pressure just to waste time so that her HP could regain a very large amount and I could begin pressure once again. Sad part is, is that after the 6c people would always try to attack because 6c had no other gattlings afterwards and Ignis is technically not on the field. But then I use 214a ignis roll and we trade.... forever in relius's favor cause 214a has a lot of hitstun, and if they are trying to punish 6c they will need something about 7frames or faster. Usually most B's will not cover that type off speed. Point is he could send Ignis away and still keep some sort of pressure in the corner just to waste time. Carl in CP2 can do the same thing at neutral. Now we can choose to play the HP regain during neutral and save the burst for a burst. Or rush recklessly not giving a crap about her meter, but saving your OD for the right moment. I find the second style may be a bit more helpful, but the first also has it's usages.

What do you think they mean by her "activation animation"?

The small animation when you first turn her on, or the entire time that she's walking around? If it's the second, that's seriously awesome.

Is the first thing that you said. There is no way that arc will let Nirvana not spend meter when she is only turned on, without doing something.

If they did that, Carl will be to strong.

Shout outs to Mu-12 having regular inv frames during the startup of her DP. Now she can get hit by our UB the same way as everyone else.

Shout outs to Mu-12 having regular inv frames during the startup of her DP. Now she can get hit by our UB the same way as everyone else.

Even without that change, you could still hit her with the UB. The issue is that you need an specific setup, the one displayed in the combo video, "You cant stop the beat"

Still, glad that we can finally use all of our setup to bait DP against her.

Even without that change, you could still hit her with the UB. The issue is that you need an specific setup, the one displayed in the combo video, "You cant stop the beat"

Still, glad that we can finally use all of our setup to bait DP against her.

JG.... I love you

~Shiro

Get hype.... The Japanese already have a video showing Ada's impressive meter gain. 

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23131142

One thing I noticed at around 1:10 - Fermata clearly drained Ada's life to 0 but when Carl activated OD, she gained back her life immediately instead of dying. It seems that Ada doesn't actually die at 0 life until she's finished with a move which probably explains the 0-life "clap loop". The fact that we can now recover meter during supers will definitely be a strong incentive to use ODs. 

One thing I noticed at around 1:10 - Fermata clearly drained Ada's life to 0 but when Carl activated OD, she gained back her life immediately instead of dying. It seems that Ada doesn't actually die at 0 life until she's finished with a move which probably explains the 0-life "clap loop". The fact that we can now recover meter during supers will definitely be a strong incentive to use ODs. 

This makes me so happy.  Really nice buff for Carl

Wouldn't that make Rapsody of Memories (Regular and OD version) ridculous for recoverying Ada's HP then?

Having looked at the frames for OD doll super, I'd estimate that we'd get at least half our doll meter back during OD doll super if not more. Doll recovery + 5-6 free mixups? Sounds good to me :)

I can already tell that this is going to be nerfed in the next update in some way :I:

I really hope it's true that she can recover health during OD super. I'll lose my mind. xD

That will help me out soooo much. I can't count the amount of times I have someone in the corner with low health and want to just end the fight with rhapsody of memories(depending on the character I'm fighting lol).

I don't know if using that DD is a waste or not, but it helps me think after some resets lol.

Wow, is 1.1 Carl that much better? Either way, that's good to hear.

It also helps that some of Carl's worst matchups got the nerf bat

^ That and a lot of the characters above Carl tier-wise got nerfed while he's pretty much unchanged save for his OD buff. Mu-Carl is still ass though :(

Judging by the character forums, glad to see Carl is still everyone's least-played character. Hey, new(er) players! We know you have questions; don't be afraid to ask.

With that in mind:

Opponent backrolls into 3]D[ leaving them floored in a C-N-O situation, too far for a CT follow-up. What should I be thinking/doing at this point? I tend to go 6B > 6A > j.B > j.B > j.C oki setup. Let's say this happens a lot in netplay and not so much against good players.

^lol keep doing that until they stop rolling

trust me, they will stop and your worries will go away. You'll also get a few good laughs

Judging by the character forums, glad to see Carl is still everyone's least-played character. Hey, new(er) players! We know you have questions; don't be afraid to ask.

With that in mind:

Opponent backrolls into 3]D[ leaving them floored in a C-N-O situation, too far for a CT follow-up. What should I be thinking/doing at this point? I tend to go 6B > 6A > j.B > j.B > j.C oki setup. Let's say this happens a lot in netplay and not so much against good players.

That's a perfectly fine way to capitalize on that. If you want something a bit more optimized, do IAD j.2C~allecan, 5C, air combo into combo extensions/oki.

If you really want to end up in a sandwich again and Ada is close enough, you can do dash, 6B, 6A, j.B, j.C, 46D, 5A+B, IAD j.2C allecan on other side, yada, yada, etc. Most of the time though, I'll usually go for corner carry and end w/fuoco + vivace oki.

Ada recovers slower when she's dead

-_____-

it looks slower than usual psyk...