Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toasty

[CP] Amane Nishiki Q&A Thread

Not on all aspects. Hitconfirming is so much more freeform than other characters and that can be hard, but he's not really a character that has a high execution requirement overall. I think it's more that you'll learn plenty of stuff, but they won't necessarily accomplish something meaningful in a match. Curious to see what others would say about it too

So Amane is considered one of the most difficult to learn?

In terms of execution, Amane doesn't really have a whole lot that makes him hard. A few things like dash-hopping after RC 632146D to get 6D to connect and getting multiple j.2B to connect together are fairly difficult, but they are not really required to play him. Hit confirming C normals can be pretty difficult until you get used to them. Since his C normals have long start up, you will need to confirm whether or not the opponent is in the air and adjust accordingly fast or have the follow up whiff cause the opponent teched. Also, Amane lacks a strong reversal so there will be times you will need to block and defense in BB can be difficult. Most of Amane's real difficulty though comes mostly from spacing, movement, and yomi.

Spacing is pretty obvious because of how his normals are designed. C normals only have hit boxes at the end so using them when close to the opponent will make them whiff and there is a blind spot between 5B and his C normals. Also, his normals have slightly higher recovery than average so whiffing them is not wise, knowing when is the right time to press a button is a small hurdle in itself with Amane. Add in that the opponent is also moving during the match and you have a slight problem until you become more accustomed to it.

Movement is not so much difficult, but mostly just something to get used to and comes from the fact that Amane is pretty floaty (this is due to the fact that Amane's jump is the same as his super jump, he only reaches the peak faster with a super jump). This throws a lot of people off when the first pick him up. Also, Amane has a lot of movement options thanks to his fabhops. It allows him to do things like hop forward > airdash back > hop forward again, etc. Knowing movement with Amane really helps with his spacing problem though.

Yomi is the most difficult thing about Amane and is the make or break to using him effectively. I have often described to people that Amane is not a "Set-Play" character, but rather "Yomi-Play". What I mean by this is you should constantly be thinking about your options to beat your opponents options after a combo rather than thinking about how to follow up to continue pressure after landing a combo. As most already know, Amane's set ups are not guaranteed. However thanks to the way they are designed, Amane usually has an answer to every situation, though sometimes you have to go out of your way to find the solution. (Example: Amane goes for a drill set up using Hariken drills in the corner. You notice the opponent is jumping out of the set up each time. Next time you go for the set up, fake the set up with a Hariken Stance cancel and throw out a Gekiren instead. The opponent will jump into it and will now have to think again about jumping).

Overall I would say Amane can be fairly difficult to learn, but not in the traditional sense of execution. He requires active thinking and strong fundamentals to make him work

Most of the changes in 1.1 for all characters are not going to be very game changing so if you are interested in picking up and learning Amane, it's worth learning now. As for the changes for Amane; the 3 main ones for him is the change to 2A being 1 hit instead of two hits now, 5C having much less recovery than current version, and Hariken building drill meter faster.

What about the Hariken stance having Projectile Armor?  I thought that was a thing, seems like a pretty big thing even.

What about the Hariken stance having Projectile Armor?  I thought that was a thing, seems like a pretty big thing even.

That is a great buff, but for the most part, Amane already had ways around projectiles. With the buff to give Hariken projectile armor, zoners are going to have to show more respect to Amane because he will be able to build free drill meter if they just sit and throw projectiles all day. It will definitely help with a few match ups like Nu, Mu, Hazama, possibly even Noel (lol).

I feel like the best thing to come out of this buff is actually the fact that Amane will now be able to bait bursts much easier than previously before by simply entering Hariken and sitting in the stance when you think an opponent is going to burst. Potential auto-burst-bait combos in the future too.

Amane will now be able to bait bursts much easier than previously before by simply entering Hariken

Some projectiles invincible move cannot go through bursts. Unless I'm wrong on this, we havn't seen footage to prove whether or not he can.

Some projectiles invincible move cannot go through bursts. Unless I'm wrong on this, we havn't seen footage to prove whether or not he can.

I haven't seen footage period. No one plays this character. ~_~;

That is true. I am going off of the fact that it is saying "projectile armor" not "projectile invincibility". If it is armor, I would imagine that it acts similarly to Tager's Spark Bolt Charge and that can eat bursts. If it's invincible, then your guess is as good as mine lol.

I did try to "test" Hariken vs Jin's Ice Blades (cause someone had to go pick Jin. >___>) and hariken didn't block them or anything. 6D did negate them but who would do 6D with a large enough gap?

I'm gonna test Hariken out later. Real life issues have to come first I'm afraid.

I did try to "test" Hariken vs Jin's Ice Blades (cause someone had to go pick Jin. >___>) and hariken didn't block them or anything. 6D did negate them but who would do 6D with a large enough gap?

I'm gonna test Hariken out later. Real life issues have to come first I'm afraid.

We're discussing Amanes change to Hariken stance that comes in the upcoming patch for BBCP, Amane doesn't have projectile armor on Hariken stance yet, so we can't test it ourselves til we recieve the patch. 

Is there a counter for how many special moves you can do in air?

I was watching an Amane mirror match. One of the players combo'd three j2B in corner. Any idea how they were able to do this?

deep j2B > zettou > j2B > ????

It feels like I can't do another zettou.

I was watching an Amane mirror match. One of the players combo'd three j2B in corner. Any idea how they were able to do this?

they're tiger kneeing the j2B most likely, which is why they would be able to combo it three times. 

Short version: (tiger knee j2B > 66 ) * N, j2B is really weird

Long version:

j2B technically has landing recovery, but the recovery ends immediately if you cancel into anything - an attack, a dash, even block (safe jumps) - except for jumping. So you do j2B low enough to the ground that you land, then immediately dash cancel and do another j2B. Off of a raw j2B hit, you can combo about 13 of them.

I tried Amane early this morning, and while he is a little weird, I had a dream that I was good with him (seriously, I did, before CP came out). I have a few questions. Are there some beginner combos with him and is he easy on pad?

I tried Amane early this morning, and while he is a little weird, I had a dream that I was good with him (seriously, I did, before CP came out). I have a few questions. Are there some beginner combos with him and is he easy on pad?

Most of Amanes combos are pretty easy to be honest. Only certain routes require better execution such as Drill Super > Rapid > Fabhop across the screen. 

This video has really basic stuff and is pretty old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3mWDNtFURU

These combos are a bit harder and situational but are still nice to learn and understand what routes are possible with him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faU6xEH5WFw

That is true. I am going off of the fact that it is saying "projectile armor" not "projectile invincibility". If it is armor, I would imagine that it acts similarly to Tager's Spark Bolt Charge and that can eat bursts. If it's invincible, then your guess is as good as mine lol.

Tager's spark bolt charge (commonly known as Voltic Charge in the movelist :P) is a guardpoint move, which means can block everything in the game like Bang's drives (except Voltic Charge doesn't have a guardpoint that blocks low). Since it can block anything, it blocks bursts.

A projectile invincible move would be like Hakumen's Kishuu in Extend (the move where he dashes forward while leaning down). It makes all projectile miss altogether. makes bursts whiff completely. Since projectiles whiff you can't RC them and Izayoi sonic sabers doesn't give her stars.

A projectile armor move would be one like Tager's sledge. Acts like a guardpoint, but BLOCKS projectiles and projectiles only. Has a special hitsparks different than the regular guardpoint. DOESN'T BLOCK BURSTS. Since you actually block projectiles with armor, it gives Izayoi's stars for ''blocking'' her sonic sabers :/

Bursts are really finnicky in the way they act. They count as projectile when a move is projectile invincible making them whiff and when hakumen tries to cut them (at least in extend that was the case, don't know if it is still the case in CP), but they aren't counted as projectile when you try to projectile armor them with a move like Tager's sledge. You just get hit and it's sad.

Just get sure on what properties Hariken stance has in 1.1 and you'll know right away what you can or cannot do with it.

hakumen can't cut them anymore, he has to kishuu. Hariken has been confirmed projectile invincible in a recent video so it baits bursts :3

Okay, here's a real question, although not an important one:

How do you do Amane's #29 Challenge?  I can't get j.2B to combo into itself.  I can get it to land, apparent by doing to 8->2B Motion really fast, but I can't seem to get another 2B out fast enough.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it.  Wow, that's an interesting mechanic abuse.

hi i have a question,  is playing on stick with amane any better than pad? I would guess  some of his hariken set ups would be easier, idk im  trying to learn amane( and fighting games in general) and what really made the charcter look fun to me was those set ups into 6D so i would want to be able to do those >_<  was wondering how soon i should make the shift to stick bassicaly. 
i hope this in the right place >_ 

I'd say they're both unrelated. Choosing stick over pad or vice versa has nothing to do with Amane especially since most of his game is pretty low execution. It's a good question to ask for yourself, but the answer is usually personal preferences and I think Amane or any character choice for that matter shouldn't be part of the equation. If you want more arguments for or against this, the beginner section is appropriate for these questions. There might even be a stickied thread for this subject since it's a common one

The learning curve from Amane mostly comes from hit confirmation - choosing the right combo to do based on the starting hit and opponent's positioning - so playing on one controller or the other shouldn't make much of a difference. His execution is fairly easy for the most part.

I'm trying my hand at unlimited mars path C with him.  So far I have trouble maintaining my drill gauge up and effectively locking down the opponent.  Any tips on how to take of this mode with him?