Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lxMetalSonicxl

Sonic The Fighters!!

Ya netplayers don't wanna mess with my Amy Rose.

You're obviously a scrub because it's Amy Rosy the Rascal, stay free

You're obviously a scrub because it's Amy Rosy the Rascal, stay free

I spank any netplayer with that Hammer like she's New Jack.

Nack is top tier. He was Nu before Nu.

Necro-ing this because I just remembered the awesome impromptu StF casuals session on a GIGANTIC projector we had at last year's Anime Boston, until we got kicked off for the 3S tourney. I was the only one who was already familiar with the game and had read the movelists, but I still ended up losing sometimes to Nack and Bin's gun/bomb spamming. Honestly, StF needed a proper sidestep more than Virtua Fighter did, just because of their shenanigans. There is a maneuver to dance around your opponent, but it only works at close range and has limited applications.

Nevertheless, it's a fun game that deserved to have more people give it the time of day beyond merely laughing at how absurd it looks. Movesets are deeper than you'd expect, and the barrier system makes for a nice risk-reward mechanic that I'd love to see explored in a more serious fighter (you can shed one of your barriers to go into a powerup mode; lose them all through this command or guard crushes, and you can't block until the next round). But anyone can still pick it up and button mash without knowing what the hell they're doing and still have a great time. If you have any friends who say they hate fighting games, or you're trying to turn them on to Virtua Fighter, show them this.

I'm sure that if the Saturn port hadn't been canceled, it would be much more well-known and appreciated outside of hardcore Sega fan circles. Didn't help that the arcade version received extremely limited distribution outside of Japan, because Sega America was worried that showing Sonic kicking the crap out of Amy, etc. would have soured his family-friendly brand image. I'd love to see their reaction then if a time traveler showed them Shadow the Hedgehog.

If anyone with the 360 version would be interested in playing online, let me know.

game seem real legit to me. I wanted to play it more but barly had people to play with. Their srk thread with peeps who know some good stuff. I think Bark suppose to be the true top tier along Amy since she has devastating Hype rmode combo.

Yeah, Bark is crazy in how he can link into devastating throws from normal punches. Sad that Sega's never once acknowledged the character since, except as an unlockable in Fighters Megamix.

I felt like Candy was kind of buggy, even though she's supposed to be "finished" for the 360/PS3 version. Her moveset is especially limited too.

I suppose the barrier system was meant as an equivalent to Fighting Vipers' armor, and it more directly parallels how FV2 gave you the chance to win 2 rounds in a single KO if you blew all your armor off.

Yeah, Bark is crazy in how he can link into devastating throws from normal punches. Sad that Sega's never once acknowledged the character since, except as an unlockable in Fighters Megamix.

I felt like Candy was kind of buggy, even though she's supposed to be "finished" for the 360/PS3 version. Her moveset is especially limited too.

I suppose the barrier system was meant as an equivalent to Fighting Vipers' armor, and it more directly parallels how FV2 gave you the chance to win 2 rounds in a single KO if you blew all your armor off.

Hyper amour from barrier gave alot interesting perks that can help deal with alot of shenanigans. I think wall/ring attack also help but were more risky.

I was playing a couple of a few matches with a friend on PSN and found out that Metal Sonic has an "infinite" of sorts.

If you use his laser at the exact moment when your opponent wake-up, they will always get hit even if they start to side step. If it's to late though they can avoid it. The laser can catch the first couple frames of the side step though. If you time your laser and your opponent tries to roll on wake up, Metal Sonic's body will lock on while the laser is about to fire and will shoot at your opponent.

Wow. I never knew about UFO Eggman or the unused mech. There was footage of Rocket on Youtube at one point but the channel got taken down if I remember correctly. No one ever shared UFO before so it makes me curious. Interesting link!

It says right there that UFO Eggman clearly wasn't meant to be fightable, it's just because of how the game handles model data that you can hack it to play as him. The UFO only shows up to create a clone character for mirror matches.

Rocket Metal has his own nametag though, so I'd bet he was meant to be fought instead of or after regular Metal if you fulfilled some conditions. Maybe Eggman would have been fought on his own before jumping into a mech, which would have certainly looked even sillier than usual.

Ah, so the model just floats and has no attacks? I took fightable as in appearing within arcade mode. My bad for reading it wrong.

I think Rocket probably was supposed to be the extra boss instead without conditions. I would think after the regular Metal fight, it would transition to the stage where VS Eggman happens and Metal would put on the Rocket upgrades. Though, I guess the attract mode and the ending suggests that Metal and Rocket are 2 seperate robots as Rocket is shown flying around Death Egg in the attract mode and normal Metal is shown flying away after the staff roll so my theory is probably off. Maybe he would appear during second round or after if the player met certain conditions like you said.

I agree with the Eggman without and going into mech idea. Sounds like that was what SEGA was going for probably but likely thought it wasn't really needed for 2 extra stages.after the game has been completed.

As for the robot companion of Eggman's, I think that was maybe supposed to be a sub-boss of sorts or maybe used for something silly like SF's Car Crusher.

Sorry for double post. Phone doesn't allow edit. RIP