Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shinjin

[Xrd] News & (Theoretical) Gameplay Discussion

And Potemkin's redesign was influenced by his visit to FanimeCon; the passion he felt from the fans there gave him a bout of inspiration that got him drawing the rough sketches.

Like Bedman, though, other ASW employees were taken aback. "Eh? Who's this?", was apparently their reaction.

Actually i am not convinced with what Pachi said about FRCs.

He says that he wouldn't realize how important is it because he's a Faust player and YRCs does the job.

I really liked how they said that they wanted to reboot the game system but not as much as SF4 did.

Also regarding not putting Dizzy and Bridget, the said that they are most popular between fans but not that popular between actual players.

Pachi said Johnny and  Zappa have better priority because they are being picked more.

I am really happy that the are looking more at the competitive scene more than the fanboys/girls.

And i'm quite pissed with that comment, throwing new cast that have simillar gameplay with Dizzy and Bridget is like rubbing salt on the wound, if they really mean with that comment why not just throw Johnny and Zappa in the roster instead of adding new fanboyism material? ... not going to start an argument thought, it's just personal oppinion.

Nowhere near as confident in this as my previous posts, so maybe take this with a grain of salt.

When discussing the new RC system, Pachi says that a bullet time effect in a fast-paced game like GG would have the most impact, and Ishiwatari talks about it being beginner-friendly, but also mentions that there was resistance to it at first. Pachi recalls that those who were opposed to it insisted it would harm the game's tempo, and there was even a test build that lacked it. As it turned out, these dissenters were proven right, but there were no other ideas the team thought were good, so they just slowed the game's pace to accommodate the timeslow. There were also members of the team who opposed the removal of FRCs, but Ishiwatari believes that it was too advanced a mechanic for a game that was meant to draw in a new audience. Pachi agrees, but says he felt that elements of it should be in the game, which was how YRCs came about.

king of heart, wasn't Faust never really in need of FRCs? I don't know much about the #R days, but I don't remember seeing Faust players use it that much in AC or +R. I do remember they used to do Going My Way FRC>j.D, but even that seemed to stop after a month or two.

Vanilla XX Faust had Pogo FRC. It was really good. He's now pretty much got it back.

Edit: 009.jpg

Feel free to edit on whatever your preferred Pot nerf to complain about is. This photo's solid gold.

wasn't Faust never really in need of FRCs?

Actually, back in XX, his pogo slam (236S) had an FRC point. Yeah.

It wallbounced too.

Well, like I said, I wasn't around back then, and vanilla XX is probably the version I'm least familiar with.

Anyway, more translation attempts.

Ishiwatari says Blitz Shield got a lackluster reception at the first loketest, but he seems to imply he expected as much. Pachi goes over its primary purpose, then goes on to say that it should also be good for characters who don't have good anti-air options. He also says they were conscious of it possibly having a negative effect in an offense-oriented game like GG, so they took care to make sure it wasn't too strong a tool. Ishiwatari then talks about them realizing that it might not mesh well with YRCs and taking measures for such. Pachi goes into a bit more detail, but my reading comprehension is too low to tell what he's saying.

Pachi then goes on a bit of a talk about "digital and analogue gameplay". Digital essentially meaning "Forcing a single player game" and Analogue meaning "both people are playing". He talks about how he feels that YRC can allow people to bait out blitz shield and things like that, so he hopes that the game's more 2-player focused still.

There's a bunch of talk about SF3's enduring popularity because of its focus on reads in there too.

The interviewer asks just what the hell is up with Danger Time, but Ishiwatari points out that a random mechanic like that isn't new, citing the times in Samurai Shodown when two characters would lock weapons and the players had to mash to win that exchange. When the interviewer points out that modern gamers tend to prefer having more control, Ishiwatari's reply is basically, "Yeah, me too, but I want people to experience those same illogical, 'why am I mashing so hard right now' moments that I did." Pachi then reveals that he actually wasn't on Team Red at first, and when he learned about Danger Time after joining, his initial reaction was something like, "Are you kidding me with this?!", but then says that he came to like the idea of surprising players with something they're not expecting that could happen at any time. Regarding Mortal Counters, their main concern was that if it had too small an effect, both players would just wait it out, but Pachi acknowledges that there are pros and cons.

Seems like a lot of the interview is Ishiwatari and Pachi talking about how much it sucks trying to come up with new gameplay mechanics for a fanbase that aggressively hates new mechanics.

In what world is +R relevant, or ever was?

Pretty sure the whole point of +R was to make GGXX relevant again.  Bring the game onto new hardware, give it a rebalance, add a couple modern genre conventions, make it "new" enough that old players come back and new players have sufficient motivation to check it out.  Maybe the game served that purpose well enough and can now be put out to pasture.  All I'm saying is that I would've liked to have seen its popularity last a little longer.

+R has been out in Japan ever since September 20th, 2012

And thanks to BBCP and Xrd, +R was practically swept under the rug within a couple months.  I wouldn't have expected it to happen any other way, I just wish +R had come out a year earlier or Xrd had come out a year later.  It was unfortunate timing.

I think that's everything important. After that is just talking about Ramlethal, that they can't talk about the console port yet, the two of them getting a bit philosophical on fighting games in general, talking about ASW's continued arcade support, and Ishiwatari talking about Overture, particularly what inspired it (he's liked the RTS genre since around the time GGX came out) and whether he'd like to make another game like it (he says he's interested in doing so).

Seems like a lot of the interview is Ishiwatari and Pachi talking about how much it sucks trying to come up with new gameplay mechanics for a fanbase that aggressively hates new mechanics.

Pretty sure the whole point of +R was to make GGXX relevant again.  Bring the game onto new hardware, give it a rebalance, add a couple modern genre conventions, make it "new" enough that old players come back and new players have sufficient motivation to check it out.  Maybe the game served that purpose well enough and can now be put out to pasture.  All I'm saying is that I would've liked to have seen it's popularity last a little longer.

And thanks to BBCP and Xrd, +R was practically swept under the rug within a couple months.  I wouldn't have expected it to happen any other way, I just wish +R had come out a year earlier or Xrd had come out a year later.  It was unfortunate timing.

+R had a decent run in Japan.  But yea, I agree that outside of Japan it didn't get a real chance because of the retarded delay on console release.  Xrd was already long announced by the time we got console +R

I really like this info, I'm glad they were on the same page as me. Couldn't they have decreased the pace and decreased the change in bullet time??

a few things I should address

Yes, for the most part, Faust has never been a character that has relied on FRCs very much.  FRC pogo in XX was godlike (probably too godlike) but other than that, his useful FRCs have only been to make things safer (air teleport recovery, taunt pose after his scalpel super which happens on either block or hit, going my way from pogo, bomb bag FRC has always been mostly useless though).  So yes, he is a character that does really well with the new system because his combos never really relied very much on FRCs being in the game.  That is one of the main reasons WHY he is considered to be top-tier in this game. He is primarily based on Reload Faust, which out of the entire XX series, is hands down the worst verison of Faust.  Very bare-bones and nothing overly abuseable compared to other iterations.  But, the new system, allows him to make alot of things safer and just gives some crazy tricks and mixup options.  Nemo pointed out before that long range characters benefit a lot from the new system and I agree. 

Regarding +R... having been in Japan and having played the game from day 1 loketest to the very end, I have to say that it felt, at least to me, that it had a fair run.  At least the same as Slash got.  I actually really liked Slash a lot.  Chicago owned mostly everyone in that game.  I was honestly a little upset when AC was announced so soon, but I really grew to like AC a lot as well.  That is the game I spent the vast majority of my time with here in Japan and will always hold a really special place for me.  +R was a breath of fresh air but it also has some glaring flaws.  I am happy with Xrd (not just because my character is really good, because he was in +R too, and keep in mind that Faust was mid-tier in AC, but I proabably actually still like AC better overall) and I think that it is really going to revitalize the scene both here in Japan and abroad as well once it is released.  The series just needed a real new iteration and I am really glad it got it.  Is Xrd perfect?  Nope!  But.... I can HONESTLY say that I am having a ton of fun playing it and that I think it is completely a legit successor to the XX series.  With that said though, yes, the rest of the world got shafted with +R being released slow as hell and then having Xrd being dangled in their faces.  That is just the unfortunatle reality that has always been there, and ArcSystemWorks just kinda dropped the ball in regards to +R outside of Japan.  At least Xrd should be out fairly soon.  Until then, just enjoy +R as I did when it was fresh here amongst your own local communities and give the game it's fair share of time on your own turf.

Destin, I would say the "bullet time" for RCs doesnt really feel that bad.  I am so used to it now that it doesn't even phase me.  Though I will say that having gotten so used to Xrd timing on everything made it REALLY hard to just pick up +R after not having played it for a couple of months when I did so last month for that Mikado tournament.  Granted I only played like 10 matches of +R that whole day and probably could adjust back if I played longer, but basically what I am trying to say is that once you get used to Xrd it feels quite nice and comfortable.  I think most of you will feel the same way.

Most of the information from the interview doesn't come as much of a surprise to me.  I am sure that they will tweak danger time to be less stupid in the next game in the Xrd series.  For now, it isn't really that big of a deal honestly.  Blitz shield has not proven to be overly abusable to me from my experiences playing or watching matches.

I would say that compared to other new versions of classic fighting games, we got the long straw on this draw.  Lots of Marvel 2 players don't like Marvel 3.  Lots of SF2 and SF3 players don't like SF4.  Lots of old Soul Calibur players don't like the newer ones, etc etc etc.  I would say that the vast majority of veteran GG playres are really going to end up liking Xrd.  The game is just fun!  Once everyone's favorite character eventually is in, there won't really be much to complain about. 

The only issue I have with Xrd right now is that it's pretty vanilla. I'm confident that will change over time, however.

(And I want Johnny, dammit)

I think Xrd is more like KOF XIII which is a new game that is more friendly for new players but gives more advantage to veterans unlike the games Mike mentioned.

It's just that i think the reason why Pachi removed the FRC form the game was really selfish and self centered.

>Cannot YRC when opponent is in blockstun or hitstun

remove this shit and this game will be great

So that easy rc combos can be a thing? Then it goes back to the question "why use red rc when we have yrc?"

Make RC's better to compete with YRC's, then. Overdrives not good enough? Make them better too; have them deal minimum damage, for example. Make the player have to make choices in how to spend his tension without taking options away from the game.

Thanks for translating that was a interesting interview. I kinda had a feeling they weren't gonna be bringing ALL the characters back, but I'm okay with that because I wanna see what other new characters they might add. I'm still hoping they decide to add Johnny and Baiken in the future though.