Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shinjin

[Xrd] News & (Theoretical) Gameplay Discussion

For god's sake, Slayer goes on a poignant farewell tour before deciding he'd rather stick around and recreate Project Mayhem from Fight Club.  How can you not love that?!

That's pretty much the only one so far I was actually able to tolerate. Though everything up to the ending still felt like utter tedium, at least Slayer wasn't as cringe-inducing as most of the other characters. Probably because he was one of the few characters written to feel like he had an IQ above that of a 7 year old. 

And for context, I've never played a fighting game where I liked the story. I'm also harsh on story quality though, and I'm not going to settle with medicority just because of a medium or relative "goodness". I thought P4A story was also utter tripe (but then again I never much enjoyed the stories of P3 or P4 either, and that includes the inter-character interactions since the stories themselves are so basic they may as well be non-existent). 

GG was just unfortunately one of those cases where playing the story mode created dislike for characters where there was no dislike before. "Plot" aside, it's the personalities and interactions that just made me cringe. 

I absolutely adore the actual gameplay and I think the character designs are probably amongst my favorite in fighting games. Everything constructed about those characters beyond those two factors I'd just rather ignore though, and this also creates some background-level disdain for the choices in Xrd to include characters based of how they fit into the story.

Uncivilized Elk, you should probably consider taking your comments to the Zepp Museum subforum. I don't believe this thread is the right place to complain about story mode related things.

Best question since this thread started. Is anyone even excited for the new gg...w all the bitchin going on you would think not...lol just saying

Best question since this thread started. Is anyone even excited for the new gg...w all the bitchin going on you would think not...lol just saying

Nope, nobody is excited at all

What's Xrd?

On Topic: Does valentine's beam super have any uses?

The way I see it, It has no uses other than being flashy with combos.

Does it do enough damage to make it worth it or would it probably be best to use it for RCs and that spinning sword move?

Uh...  she can't use Does it Blend? Toranshi with blades equipped.  It's hard to say without frame data since Toranshi is so good, but sometimes you want to have the swords equipped and might need to use a super that's better than her "explode" super.  I can't say with any certainty, but I think Ramma-Ray Calvados does the highest damage of her supers, since Explode is supposed to be her reversal super.  Calvados also goes full screen right?  So it might be able to punish some stuff at full screen pretty effectively, though without frame data it's hard to say.

Really, while Toranshi is insane, the raw damage doesn't seem that great... it's probably comparable to the Explode super.  It's great for screen control, pressure into mixups, corner push, and adding 40 damage to the end of a combo like with Justice's Imperial Ray, but if you had a reason to combo into super earlier than when they're OTG (like to prevent bursting), Calvados probably works there if your swords aren't deployed.  You can burst bait with 2S > 2H > RC > 2S > 2H if you have your swords on you, but RCs still prorate meter gain and supers don't.

I would say that it's not useless, but it is pretty situational where you'd want to use it.  Most of the time you'll have a better option, but sometimes you'll need a super and wont be able to use Toranshi... in that case, Calvados is probably going to be better than Explode.

hey gamma ray has super armor i believe, transi does a billion hits so it does much more damage at the end of combos than other supers would

crap the ps4 LE already sold out in amiami :(

This post made me freak out and fly to Akihabara.

The reservation wasn't open yet at Gamers but they were kind enough to make it for me.

Well.... I'm hoping that Sin would have a super which would maximize his "hunger gauge" for a limited time.... :v:
P.S: I wonder what his playstyle could be?  :kitty:

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that some Mortal counters are worse than their normal counterparts?

Is that because mortal counter hitstun lasts the same amount of time regardless of what move connected or something? Or is it due to the properties of the hit?

I'm not fine with it being inconsistent, but Danger Time is like the one thing I wish would be removed so... I'm pretty ambivalent.

Is that because mortal counter hitstun lasts the same amount of time regardless of what move connected or something? Or is it due to the properties of the hit?

I'm not fine with it being inconsistent, but Danger Time is like the one thing I wish would be removed so... I'm pretty ambivalent.

Actually some Mortals has the same effect as the normal counter hit and some are not.

IE Sol's one hit VV on mortal is untechable until the opponent land but Mortal Fafnir won't roll him until the corner.

To me, it sounds like a bug that a move like Fafnir has a worse Mortal Counter than regular Counter Hit.  If they don't want to make it so good that it has extra hit stun or other properties on top of the already good CH properties, that's fine, but why make it worse?

Offering a game pad with a LE...  I wonder if they'll do that with EU/US versions, if they give us a LE at all (I'm like 98% sure they will).  They know that really serious players would play stick, but then adding $150 to the price tag raises the barriers for entry, and they're trying hard to get new players.  When bringing it to other territories I wonder if they'll have the same mentality.  The button layout on a gamepad like that makes it easier to play someone like Zato without spending a ton of money or having to remap buttons.  As dumb as the button thing sounds, some total newbs might want to play Zato and use his Negative Edge as an excuse not to play him, then tell people that say "remap the buttons" that it's "cheating" or something.  I mean, we still have people all these years later who say using the C-Stick in Melee is cheating, and it's a fucking default controller option.

But yeah, I wonder if they're going to think it's worth it to market a game pad like that in the EU/US territories.  I think part of the idea would be to bank off of "hey, get this specialty game pad for PS4 and have it for any other fighting game you want a gamepad for.  It's not like anyone else makes these right now!"  Except I can't think of any PS4 fightan gaem that anyone would care about.  Has there been any announcement of anything besides Xrd, or rumors of SF5?  I could see BB going to PS4, but I could also see it NOT going to PS4, unless they do a split release like with Xrd where you can get the other version for higher res if you happen to have the console.  With everyone invested in their PS3 sticks though, I feel like this would be a bad business decision... I don't think the sales on PS4 would offset the Development Costs + First Party Costs (like TRC) + Marketing Costs, considering the majority of PS4 sales will be people who don't play fighting games competitively.  That market is actually rather big, but it's not their core audience, so it'd be more of a gamble.  Or maybe they'd make it so that BBPS4 would actually support PS3 sticks to **** on whatever game Capcom puts out around that time that probably will require new sticks (you know that'll happen because they're buddy-buddy with MadKatz because they sponsor tournaments, which gets people to play the games and gets them sales).

Fuck man, all I want is a CD based Sound Track, and that shit could already be on the market as a separate SKU if they had the time to deal with a record label.  Somehow I get the feeling the Game Pad's D-pad wont even be as good as a regular DS4 D-pad, so I'm kinda hoping a LE in other territories will include the OST with something else.  Give me a 24X20 poster to frame and put on my wall, and I-No's or Ramlethal's hat, or Ky's or Sol's belt buckle or some shit.

Aside from the example king of heart mentioned above, there is another potential disadvantage to Mortal Counter. It automatically triggers slowdown on hit, and as such I believe it triggers the same 80% forced proration that Roman Cancel slowdown triggers. Now if you could already combo from the move on regular CH, then you're probably going to have a weaker combo in the long run. On the other hand, the slowdown and freedom of action may grant you options that would otherwise be impossible. It's all part of the balancing act of getting so many more options off a hit.

Actually some Mortals has the same effect as the normal counter hit and some are not.

IE Sol's one hit VV on mortal is untechable until the opponent land but Mortal Fafnir won't roll him until the corner.

Interesting. I'm guessing there might be a hard limit on the amount of untechable time a single move is allowed. CH Fafnir is already ridiculous enough as it is, so having that going at half speed automatically is pretty excessive. I mean, I've seen the initial frames of MC Fafnir, they're floating for a couple of seconds before they even start tumbling. It's hilarious.

Fuck man, all I want is a CD based Sound Track, and that shit could already be on the market as a separate SKU if they had the time to deal with a record label.  Somehow I get the feeling the Game Pad's D-pad wont even be as good as a regular DS4 D-pad, so I'm kinda hoping a LE in other territories will include the OST with something else.  Give me a 24X20 poster to frame and put on my wall, and I-No's or Ramlethal's hat, or Ky's or Sol's belt buckle or some shit.

I'll agree with you on that, something like the belt buckles or a hat would probably get me way more excited than the pad. I do want the pad though, just I'd be way more excited for a wearable bonus, or even the OST.

Regarding Mortal Counters, by any chance something like 2HS>hover dash j.S>2HS>hover dash j.S>2HS>hover dash j.S>2HS>hover dash j.S... Could be possible?

I don't think Mortal Counters have increased hitstun for the whole combo, just the starting move. Could be wrong though, Danger Time isn't exactly the mechanic I've looked into the most.

Mortal Counters are not BB Fatal Counters.  The hit that actually lands as a Mortal Counter has the increased hitstop+hitstun+slowdown, and can cancel into any other move, but that's it.  No increased hitstun for the whole combo.