• Introduction
  • Mini Tsubaki 101
  • When to use Charge
  • Neutral Game
  • Okizeme
  • Tricks and Gimmicks
  • Bad/Common Habits

Credits
  • Adam0812 for nudging me to produce the gimmicks.
  • BatousaiJ for 3CC trick and 1 charge mugen showcase.
  • Surf for the 5C CH > 6C throw bait and 22D airdash setup.
  • TGR for safe jump setup guide.

Introduction

Welcome to the Tsubaki strategy guide. The aim of this guide will be to help you guys get a better understanding of Tsubaki and will provide ways of improvement. The tricks and gimmicks will provide you with options on how to confuse and confound your opponent, from really basic to advanced setups. Sticking to basic play is alright but you will always want to have something in your arsenal to keep your opponents guessing. Not only will I list the tricks but I will also point out the common habits which I would highly advise against. If you wish to contribute please do so and I will consider adding that idea to the guide.

What makes Tsubaki really unique to other characters is her charge which provides its usefulness in a variety of ways, including amplifying damage in combos, gimmicks, and generally helping her to get in. However, that does mean that she is GENERALLY quite weak with her Bnbs, and having no charge provides her with no support when using 623C to escape pressure.

Please be sure to take a look at the:

CPEX Tsubaki Wiki | Frame Data
Tsubaki Basic Combos - Perfect for beginners.
Tsubaki Command Grab Setups
Tsubaki Corner Combo Oki Variations

A little bit about myself:

Hi, Im Kiba (AKA Keebs) a Valkenhayn / Kokonoe / 'Tsubaki' player. I picked up Tsubaki in CS1 because she was the only character who interested me before Valkenhayn was announced. I said I did not care if she was bad, but I was gonna use her anyway. I picked up Valkenhayn because I generally like wolves/beasts (a favoured archtype), and I love his movement. Tao can move freely without worrying about meter, but I'm more of a dog lover. For a little more insight, my name (Kiba) also means 'Fang'. I also wanted to be quite versatile with my characters options, so now I use two different characters with varied types of mobility, damage and combos, adding to the fun. Anyway, this is about Tsubaki. I am a Tsubaki veteran and I like to try my best in giving my all, whether it is playing competitively or helping out the Tsubaki community here on Dustloop with pktazn. I enjoy compiling information and contributing so it is never any real trouble for me and I am always open to any advice or critique anyone can offer me. I'm also a massive perfectionist so you may see me from time to time making minor aesthetic changes in threads. I must thank the community for coming together and bringing about this information since the CS1 grim days, and I want to also give a special thanks to my fellow moderator pktazn for helping me build up this forum into a helpful and fruitful source of information. Much love and I hope we can continue to do this in future.

Mini Tsubaki 101

Tsubaki hits pretty hard this time around even without charge. With charge and CT, you're just adding more salt, although charge is not particularly useful in most cases now. Tsubaki is also unique in that she can cancel specials into other specials using charge, whether it's on block, whiff or hit. So if you use 236A and the opponent blocks it, you can cancel into 22D or 214D. Remember the order:

236X > 214X > 22X: You cannot cancel the moves in reverse in order, so if you used 214B, you cannot use 236D. You also cannot cancel 22X.

Blockstrings

I'm gonna divide this into 3 different parts to consider, but if you want an idea on basic blockstrings please look here.

Stage 1
This is the stage that most Tsubaki players will start off doing. It will be a textbook blockstring using 5BB > 2BB/6A > 5CC > 6BB. Now this will work against players who can't block, but against those who can block, you would be getting yourself nowhere, with no success in opening up your opponent. Understand that all the opponent needs to do is hold down back, and they will successfully block common 6A patterns.

Stage 2
This is where you may incorporate charge cancels in your pressure. It's useful for pressure resets, and throwing your opponents offguard. You may also throw more at this stage, especially since Tsubaki has a very useful kara throw. The charge cancels will generally make your blockstrings shorter as well. This consists of using strings like, 5C > CC > Throw and using a lot of 5As. It's much more useful than the Stage 1 blockstrings because you're using a variety of options to try and open up your opponent, whereas with the above it's the same blockstring you're relying on. Incorporating charge cancels is also quite risky because it's liable to mashing.

Stage 3
This is where using the charge cancels can occasionally cost you your pressure momentum because the opponent is now comfortable with how to tackle Tsubaki. In addition to this, it's difficult to open up your opponent because they can react to 6A, they can tech throws and they IB 6B and poke you out of what you're going to do next. At this stage they will realise it is not very difficult to disrespect Tsubaki's pressure and they may mash more. This is why you will need to include blockstrings from all 3 stages. You may even fall upon the textbook blockstring because you don't want the opponent mashing. At this point you may start to add a little more gimmicks in your gameplay (see tricks and gimmicks below) and stuff like TRMs (Throw reject Misses, e.g 5A > Dash 5A > Purple Throw), throw baits if you want, frame traps (delaying followup gatlings slowly) and using throws and command grabs more.

I'll go through some blockstrings:

Universal Blockstrings
  • (5A) > 5B(B) > 2BB > 5CC > 6BB (This is the standard blockstring)

- Sub-route 1 (High): 5B > 6A / 5BB > 6A / 5BB > 2B > 6A / 2BB > 5B > 6A
    - Sub-route 2 (Low): 5B > 2BB / 5B > 6B / 5BB > 6B
    - Sub-route 3 (63214C setups): 5BB > 63214C / Anything > 6B > 63214C
    - Sub-route 4 (Charge Cancel pressure): 5B(B) / 5C > Charge cancel (Dash in if necessary to continue pressure and use one of the above mixups)
    ----------------------------------------Sub Sub Route (Charge Cancel Pressure): 5B(B) / 5C > Charge cancel into 63214C or Throw

5A Blockstrings

• 5A xN (To stay in your opponents face and catch mashers. Use with dash/micro dash 5A)

- Sub-route 1 (High): 5A > 6A (Use with caution you may lose to counter throws/mashing)
    - Sub-route 2 (Throw): 5A > throw
    - Sub-route 3 (Throw reject miss): 5A > Dash 5A > throw
    - Sub-route 4 (Command Grab): 5A > 63214C
    - Sub-route 5 (Throw Bait): 5A > tk.214D / tk.236D

Blockstrings against Opponent's Barrier

• (5A) > 5B > IAD j.CC
  • (5A) > 5B > 6C > IAD j.CC
  • (5A) > 5B > 6B (You may lose to your opponent's mash at that range if you resume pressure)
  • (5A) > 5B > 3C (Use with caution. It can catch those not blocking low.)
  • 5B > IAD (crossup j.B) > 5A

6C Blockstrings

• 6C > 63214C
  • 6C > CT
  • (Pressure) 6C > 421A - The 421A can make DPs whiff except for Kagura, Litchi, Ragna and Jin's D DP (623D)
  • (Against Mashing/Jump outs) 6C > 22D or 214D
  • 6C > 632146B

Tight Blockstrings (safe on IB)

• 5A x3
  • 5BB > 5CC
  • 5A > 5C > 2C
  • 6C > [1]9D

Mash safe Blockstrings (safe on normal block)

• 5BB > 2BB > 5CC
  • 5CC > 6B (Can lose occasionally)

Frame Traps

• 5A > 5B
  • 5BB (Delay 2nd hit)
  • 2BB (Delay 2nd hit)
  • 5BB > Delay 5C
  • 5CC (Delay 2nd hit)
  • 5CC > 6B
  • 6BB (Delay 2nd hit)
  • 6BB > Slight Delay 22B
  • 236X > 214D

Blockstrings you can get grabbed out of

• Anything into 6A (Mainly 5A > 6A)
  • 5A > 2B

I use a lot of charge cancels and despite the risk that it can lose to mashing, I have found much success with it mixing it with frame traps and 5A pressure. However against Tager I use very limited blockstrings because he can 360/720 most of them. It's safe (but not completely effective) to play the poking game. Here are the main strings I use:

Spaced 5B > 22B/22D: Do not use when magnetised.
5B (Max range) > IAD crossup j.B > 5A: If the j.B hits you can confirm it into a combo. If not, retreat.
5A x2 > IAD backwards

However it may be wise to condition Tager and keep him guessing with various mixup, although of course it's risky.

• IAD j.B > j.C > throw - Can omit j.C and go straight for throw, or use j.CC for another mixup.
  • Charge cancels into throw
  • Using jump cancel pressure

Charge Cancels

Note that 5B, 5BB and 5C provide you with the best advantage after a charge cancel. 5CC would be good too but normally you would be out of range and more prone to mashers as you attempt to dash in. The other normals leave you at a worse position after a charge cancel. For example, 2B is -1 on block, but 2B > charge cancel is -5. The reason why 5B/5BB/5C > Charge cancel > throw may work is because they are really fast. The aim here is to use them as early as possible because no one really expects it. If you are using a long blockstring and then you opt for the method you are more likely to face mashing, reversals and the like. You can do 5C > charge cancel and your opponent will tech the throw because they have seen it too many times and they expect it. You can easily remedy this by doing 5C > charge cancel > dash 5A > Purple throw. If done fast enough and your opponent did try to throw you during the dash 5A, you should get a throw reject miss, or even a throw counter if they decided to try and mash out of your charge cancel. You can use 5D/2D here it does not matter, and a throw is one of the many things you could do after a charge cancel. You can go for more pressure, or even a command grab. Charge cancels into 6A are extremely ballsy so be careful.
Anyway here's a list:

5A > 5D = -9
2A > 5D = -9

5B > 5D = -2
2B > 5D = -5
5BB > 5D = -5
2BB > 5D = -5

5C > 5D = -2
5CC > 5D = 0

Charge Setups

Whenever you charge, you sacrifice oki game and you lose all pressure/momentum you had on your opponent, but it's necessary in most cases in order to deal more damage later. Here are some setups in order to gain time/space to charge.

• Ending combos with a 22B knockdown. (You don't have that much time, especially if they tech in the air)
  • After an air combo ending in j.214A/B/C. (You don't have that much time)
  • After a 236236C/D super.
  • During 632146B. (You can get a max of 2 charges here)
  • After a burst.
  • After a counter assault.
  • In neutral.
  • During a CT CH. (You can get 1 charge here then resume combo)
  • In between combos where you've used max charge 22B (i.e > 6BB > Max charge 22B > 5D > 6CC > etc)
  • j.236A corner oki
  • Charge cancelling during pressure/blockstrings. It doesn't give much but it allows you to slowly gain charges while staying on your opponent.

Punishment Game

Tsubaki's punishment game is pretty good, especially with 214D > CT involved. What if a character uses a DP and you either blocked it or it whiffed? They would be free to a punish, but what exactly do you punish with? Firstly you need to assess how much time you have and you need to know how vulnerable the opponent will be. For example, with Jin's 623C, you have a lot of time to punish him with a 6C, but with someone like Litchi, you may need to react quite fast because if you're too slow the staff will strike you as it's falling down, resulting in you missing the opportunity to punish, so 3C or 5C is best here. I'll provide a list of some of Tsubaki's strongest punishes.

---Midscreen Meterless

5C > 6CC > IAD j.CC > 5C > 2C > 214B > 5C > 2CC > j.C > dj.CC > j.214A  [4110 DM] [29% HG]

3CC > 5C > 2C{C} > 9j.{C}{C} > 5C > 2C{C} > 214B > 5C > 2CC > j.C >j.CC > j.214A [4110 DM]

---Midscreen with 1 Charge + CT

CH 5C > 6C(1) > 214D > CT > 6B(1) > 623C > j.236A(w) > 5C > 2C > 214B > 5C > 2CC > j.C > dj.CC > j.214X [4800 DM]

---Corner Meterless

CH 5C > 6CC > 22 > 5D > 5C > 2C > 623C > j.236A(w) > 5C > 2C > 214B > 5C > 2CC > j.C > dj.CC > j.214B [4077 DM]

---Corner with 1 Charge + CT

CH 5C > 214D > jcc CT > 6CC > 22 > 5D > 5C > 2C > 214B > 5C > 2CC > j.C > dj.CC > j.214B [4900 DM]

Useful Tools:

• Basic Pokes: 5B
  • Anti - Air: 2C
  • Air to Air Pokes: j.B, j.C (More range but slower)
  • High Attacks: 6A, all your aerial attacks.
  • Low Attacks: 2B, 2BB, 3C, 6B, 6BB
  • Neutral Tools: 5B, 421A, 421D, j.236A, 5C, 3C (Do not abuse)
  • Stronger Starters: 5C, 3C, 6C, 22D, j.236D (If you hit with the wing too)

When to use Charge

As stated in the combo thread, do not waste charge on every opportunity you have. Properly assessing whether to use charge in combos or even gimmicks is the key in improving Tsubaki play. Assessment of using charge includes factors such as damage difference, the possible oki rewards and positioning. As a general rule of thumb, using 1 charge in combos is generally a good idea, 22D or 214D being the best choices.

Look at this example:

5BB > 5CC > 623C > j.214A(w) > 5C > 2C > 214B > 5C > 2CC > j.C > dj.CC > j.236A > j.214A [3133 DM] - A pretty straightforward combo and one of her main combos in her arsenal. Now with one charge:

5BB > 5CC > 236D > Dash 5C > 2C > 214B > 5C > 2CC > j.C > dj.CC > j.236A > j.214A [3423 DM] - This combo 300 more damage than the above combo, which is kinda standard. If the combo wih charge deals 300 - 500 more damage than the regular it's ok. Anything less? It probably would have been better to save the charge. This combo is also not universal - 236D > Dash 5C does not work on everyone (Such as Makoto).

You will generally find that when you use charge, you will mainly be using one. In the corner it will be 22D, because it gives you the wallstick which allows for better followups, but midscreen you may find yourself using none at all! On the other hand there are some midscreen exceptions where you may want to use 2, and it should only be used where you've used decent confirms (5BB / 5CC / 6A) into 421D > 236D.

If you are using more than 2 charges in a combo you are most likely wasting charges. Charge can also be used for different types of setups such as:

• Combos into 22D > 6C > 632146B oki

22D
You will be using this a lot, whether it's in your corner combos or from a midscreen throw. It's a very important special which can also fatal although there's limited opportunities for that. One example is if you blocked Arakune's Reversal super, you have a lot of time to fully charge it and go for a fatal. It can also be useful when used as a frame trap as it can lead into a lot of damage on hit. Fully charged it becomes +8 but it's not so useful if you're out of range because you won't have the opportunity to properly prolong your pressure.

236D
This has very limited combo use, but it really does help with corner carry for a midscreen combo. The followup can be difficult as it varies between each character, but it's worth it. If you have meter for CT though you'd probably want to opt for 214D instead. This is a good move to use in neutral to fish for hits, especially counter hits, but despite it being safe it has some pretty nasty pushback so it's normally the end of your pressure.

214D
You will be using this alot when given the opportunity and you have meter for CT, because 214D > jcc CT goes into a lot of damage. You may also use this as a followup from 236X either in neutral to cover more ground or if your opponent blocks 236X and you want to cover yourself. It also provides a decent frame trap, though if your opponent blocks 214D you may be forced to cancel it into 22D as it's quite unsafe on block.

623D
Only in mugen combos.

j.236D
Only in combos involving 623C or if you're trying to make 623C safe. The only other time you will be using this is in mugen combos. Don't use this attack in neutral. It's a waste of charge and you have j.236A instead.

j.214D
You will be using this quite often as well because it allows for very good corner carry too, Example 5B air hit > j.B > j.CC > j.214D > 623C > j.236A(w) > 5C > 2C > etc. Normally you can only followup with 2A, 623C or 236236C / D.

Neutral Game

The preferred range with Tsubaki varies with the pace of the match and is dependant on the character you are playing against, but traditionally your best takes in the places of close range and long range.

Close range:
This is probably the most useful place for Tsubaki to be in, and will now frustrate her opponents with proper application of her command grab. You have a variety of mixups here, including 6A, throws, and your lows. You want to make your pressure short and sweet (2A > 2A > grab for example) and you should only be using long blockstrings with frame traps if your opponent is mashy, otherwise it serves no purpose. Ending with the ground enders in the corner is the way to go to maintain your pressure advantage. When pressuring an opponent if you find that you're going to be pushed out of range you could always resort to 421A. Not only does it help for resetting pressure but it also helps to evade DPs/Reversals with the proper spacing. 5CC > 421A is a really good example where you can evade DPs. If they block the fireball you can opt for more pressure such as 5CC which can catch players trying to jump out or those mashing. It's super useful to take note of this. If they try to take advantage of your fireball reset from 5CC for instance remember you could always switch it up between 6B/421A/Charge cancel. Note quite a few characters can get around it with normals or reversals so try not to abuse the reset.

Mid range:
You will probably be trying to play the spacing game here with 5B. Other methods of getting in include air dashing in, but if you wanted to get away you would be air backdashing. Remember, this is the range where you would probably be jumping the most, whether it is to get in or away. You would not be charging at this range because it is not that difficult for your opponent to run in and punish you for it, especially if the character has strong neutral options such as Litchi and Valkenhayn. Also, 2C is still your most reliable anti air if the opponent decides to jump in on you. 2A can be used as a situational anti air such as against Jin's jump cancels into an immediate j.2C but you have to use it wisely.

Long range:
Your game from this range is not to pressure. It is to either charge, or use 421A which is a good tool for manipulating a player's movement or to get a bit of space whilst helping you to charge or get in. 236X > 214D is also a real good way to get in as it covers a lot of horizontal ground but it is unsafe if blocked. 421D > 236D is another great way to get in despite being a little charge heavy, but it is +6 if blocked, so you can still opt for some pressure if you wanted. It is also projectile invulnerable so it's the main tool to use against zoners provided you're not predictable with it since they can just jump and avoid it, or jump and hit you during the recovery.

Okizeme

Air Enders vs Ground Enders
TBA

Edited by Kiba

Setups and Tricks

Before taking a look at the following you may want to take a look at this video which contains a numerous amount of setups you can utilise in your gameplay, some of whichare already explained below in this strategy guide. Here. In addition, you may want to have a look at BatousaiJ's combo video which hosts a lot of tricks which may interest you. Here.

Kara Throw

You can 'kara throws' to extend the range of you ground throws. The input is 6C~B: You quickly cancel 6C into a grab and Tsubaki should move forward while initiating the grab animation (In other words you need to plink it). The allows you to throw players from ranges where a normal throw wouldn't work, such as 5A > 5A > Kara throw on a normal block. You can also do it from 6B, but using it from 6C is better because it has more range. Tsubaki is also known to use this technique for her command. Supposedly you do 63216C~4C and you can extend the range of the command grab, but it's really hard to do and can be seen here.

Blade Super Application

Blade super (632146B) is great for making people who are not used to the match up do something really unexpected, such as trying to dash up and hit you in the face or use a reversal. If you do hit with it your followup options are very limited going into 2C > j.CC > j.214A or 236B > 214B > 22B. It can be used to try and get in against certain characters like Mu, Nu-13 and Kokonoe, or it can be used to halt the stronger rushdown characters (Valkenhayn, Taokaka, maybe Ragna) opponent so you can acquire at least 2 charge. If you do happen to try and rush your opponent down during the super, be aware that this is usually the most obvious time that they will use their counter assault. It's better to jump and block so you can try to bait the counter assault, and if they don't, you can proceed to using jump > IAD j.CC mixup.

If you use this super in neutral, the best way for the opponent to avoid this is to high jump. This limits your options and you're gonna have to use air pressure or wait till they land.

There are other ways of using this super to try and get your opponent to guess wrong and get hit. The first is using a combo into the 236B > 214B > 22D ender. After you've done 22D, dash and use 6C, then input 632146B. This oki is nice because it can catch rolls and late techs, so your opponent has to neutral tech. If they don't tech they will also get hit, but this works against people who are not aware of this. Once they start neutral teching and blocking, you're gonna have to go into mix up.

The second method is using 6C > 6321469B (tk.blade super). This is nice because 6C places you in jab range so it feels like more people will bite and try to punish taking the full damage + ground/air ender. They won't be able to hit Tsubaki out of this, and they will have to go on the defense.

Throw Resets

This is done with Tsubaki's back throw only, because it causes stagger. Rather than following up with the usual combo you simply dash and then do one of the following:
  • 6A overhead
  • Crush Trigger
  • Throw
  • Command Grab
  • You can then go for 2B if they start opting to block high or jump out.

You can view the options here.

Throw Baiting

The reward from this can be pretty good if performed correctly. There are now three known methods, one much easier than the other two.
The harder one is throwing baiting with j.214D. All you do is simply walk/dash to your opponent, return the stick/pad to neutral and then quickly input tk.214D. The advantage of this is that you can get a full IAD combo from this in the corner with the 2B > 2CC followup, but midscreen you won't be able to followup.

The other way of throw baiting is with tk.236D. This one is more useful because this works both midscreen and in the corner. It also doesn't require any other resource to followup and you can use 6C > 214B > 5C > 2CC > IAD combo as demonstrated here. If you�re not confident with TKs I strongly advise against this, as you can get 214D/236D and you WILL be thrown because they are not throw invulnerable. You could even unintentionally get j.D!

The easier method (credits to Surf for this) is using 5C. Doesn�t make sense at first glance does it? Well allow me to explain. Do the same thing as above, which is to simply dash/walk to your opponent but not for too long. Then, you backdash. Near the end of the backdash recovery, your opponent may opt to throw you, and you can tag them with 5C CH. 5C CH confirms nicely into 6CC, and that can rack up a lot of damage especially if you followup with 6C > OD > Mugen. The reason why 5C works here is because 5C is the only other normal which has faster startup and has the range to still hit your opponent. The other normals either lack range or they are slower and/or won�t hit.

22B Whiff Enders (Tsubaki Illusion)

Check out the video by Kazu here. After you use 236B, slightly delay the followup 22B. If the opponent techs the 22B will whiff and you will be placed at an advantage. If the opponent doesn't tech, 22B will hit but it'll blue beat. The advantage with this is that when the opponent techs you can go for any sort of mixup (6A/CT is too slow here guys go for command grab, throw or 2B). The thing is you don't want to delay 22B too much that they'll be able to poke you out of whatever you wanna do.

j.C > j.C Fuzzy Guard Options

If you have not used your double jump or air dash, you can go for a 'fuzzy setup' but it's quite difficult. You need to hit with j.C as deep as possible and then followup with dj.C without touching the ground. So what you'll be doing is, j.C > double jump > j.C. It'll hit those who try to block low immediately, and that's what the trick is there for. The other problem with doing this is that your only followup option is a j.214D, otherwise you have nothing (j.CC > j.214C > 623C won't work). The hitconfirm can be demanding, and if they block it's punishable. If they block, use j.C > dj.CC(Delay). Shown here (It's CS1 but it still works of course)

The fuzzy doesn't work against Bullet, Mu, Makoto, Rachel, Taokaka, Arakune, Kagura or Kokonoe.

Option Selects

5C© > 6C~6B
This OS is good for getting the optimal confirm from a 5C© CH, and can usually be achieved by using 5CC(delay) frametraps. Input 5CC(delay) then, 6C followed up by 6B. If 5CC hits, you'll cancel it into 6C. 5CC > 6C only works when 5CC hits but be advised that this confirm does not work if it's a normal hit. It has to be a 5C© CH. If 5CC is blocked, 6C will not come out and you'll transition straight into 6B, which may also frame trap due to the delay.

236C > 214B~RC
Do 236C, and input 214B, then RC right afterwards. If 236C hits, it'll cancel into 214B, launching the opponent which should lead to an IAD combo with an air ender. If the 236C is blocked, the RC comes out and you'll be at a decent amount of advantage. 236C is level 4, so it does 18 frames of blockstun, so you have a 10 frame window for inputting the RC to still have it be gapless into 5C.

236C > 214B~D
Do 236C, and input 214B, then press D immediately RC right afterwards. If 236C hits, it'll cancel into 214B as normal. If the 236C is blocked, 214D should come out as 214B will not followup from a blocked 236C. 236C > 214D can also work as a frame trap. However, if the 214D is blocked you'd probably want to followup with 22D to make it safer. It's good to use sometimes, but you'll be burning charge if you're forced to make it safe.

623C > j.214A~j.236D
For this OS, simple input j.214A right after 623C, exactly how you would do a dive-whiff combo, then input j.236D right afterwards. If the DP hits, you'll dive back to the ground and the j.236D input should get eaten up during j.214A's recovery time. If the DP is blocked or whiffs, you'll go into j.236D to make your DP somewhat safe and you can react and go into j.214D if you'd like. Alternatively you could use 623C > j.236A ~ D which has exactly the same effects as above but is easier to perform.
Edited by Kiba

BAD/COMMON HABITS

236C in neutral – Easy to get in!

236C in neutral is horrible because of the risk and reward. Now with charge it’s alright because you have something to cover yourself with but I’m talking about when you have no meter or charge. If your opponent blocks it you’re prone to a full combo and you’ll be in a position which is worse from where you were originally! If you used it up close, the opponent can CH you resulting in a stronger combo. It may work on players who do not understand Tsubaki but it is generally not advised. The most you’re getting out of it is about 1.8k and as you can see, it’s not worth it. The only other time 236C is useful is against Valkenhayn because you’d want to tag the wolf, but again, there should not be a reliance on this. If you want to get in, use your mobility.

j.214X abuse – Condor dives!

This isn't bad when you use it to get out of corner pressure, but it's horrible when using it in an attempt to hit your opponent. Not only is it disadvantageous on block which leaves you viable to a punish, but it can also be stuffed by a well times anti air. You can even be thrown out of the startup if the opponent is closer to you and has good reactions! The worst you can do is charge in the air, and then use it, because it's just too obvious since you have little options after j.D, especially if you've used you second jump because you can't air dash.

214214D (Mugen) on wakeup – Time to punish!

The downside about using this on wakeup is that is has no invincibility, and if an opponent uses a meaty attack on your wakeup you WILL be hit out of this. Not only will you face a CH combo, but your charge will be draining. You would had weakened your defensive options (loss of 623D and followup options) and wasted 50 heat which you could have spent on a hitconfirm into mugen for example. You could have even used 236236C and saved your charge. The only time this may work is if your opponent did not use a meaty attack and that’ll give you the option to punish their attack, but again, assessing whether they used a meaty is highly down to how well you can see and react to that. If the opponent blocks on your wakeup, you’ll be forced to play a ‘guessing’ game with your drives, where you’ll try to hit your opponent and make the most out of the time you have. Overall, do not do this.

Long Blockstrings

As I said earlier using long blockstrings may prove to work against you rather than for you, but the main culprit here is using Tsubaki’s main bnb as a blockstring. 5BB > 2BB > 5CC > (6BB) is a mediocre blockstring which works against mashers, buy you need to remember that constant use of this blockstring is most likely going to get you no where. Unless you slightly delay the normals to provide some frame traps, you’re not providing any real mixup here and you have limited options after 5CC which can all lose to IB > 5A, DPs or even jump outs. The exception here is ending the 5CC with a charge cancel but if you opt for additional pressure, 9/10 you’ll be out of range to do anything decent and you’ll have to dash in, making you vulnerable to mashing. 5BB > 2B and 2BB itself can be interrupted with a DP if the opponent manages to instant block. Remember you want short and sweet blockstrings as Tsubaki can’t afford to do anything long that provides something decent without using a high number of resources. Not to mention that barrier works effectively well against Tsubaki's normals and you will find yourself whiffing normals. I understand that Tsubaki can be mashed out of short blockstrings and charge cancels, but this is why you constantly need to mix it up between long blockstrings, frame traps, overheads, short blockstrings into unblockables, throws and charge cancels.

3C Abuse in Neutral

Stop it. I understand that this is a good normal to use because it travels a long way and it can reward you with a FC. It also goes under other normals which are thrown at you such as Litchi's 6B and Tsubaki's 5B, but it's not good to use to get in because if it's blocked, you're vulnerable even though some characters have a difficult time trying to punish it such as Hakumen. Remember that using 3C© will put you in a crouching position so opponents can further extend their combos against you. If you have meter you'll be forced to RC to make it safe. You can trick your opponent by using 3CC but you can't capitalise of it unless it's a FC or unless you have meter. In addition, if the moves whiffs, you're vulnerable yet again.

Notice how I stated abuse. 3C is good for when you can try to tag opponent's out of what they are doing and your reactions allow that, such as catching Mu in the startup of Totsuka or Litchi's itsuu, but it SHOULD NOT BE THROWN OUT. If you get a 3C FC, you get guaranteed corner carry, but if it whiffs or it's blocked, you're gonna pay for it. Be careful.
Edited by Kiba

Nice, I hadn't used the 5C CH bait with a back dash.

That'll be fun to add to my game come CP.

Note that many of the things present here will still be viable in CP so don't write it off as a relic.

Wakeup Mugen is secretly top tier. You actually don't lose charge unless you get hit right on the 7th frame when it's actually activated.

It's a gimmick for sure, but whatever, we'll take it.

Also, since this is basically abusing the system this is something that's doable for every character in the game that has a "jump cancel-able but not special cancel-able on block" move.

Though I can't really think of any of the top of my head.

Hmm. I actually think using your 22D maneuver in the corner in conjunction to mine may be extremely useful. Since mine is a fake crossup/just confusing them. We spoke about it before I'm pretty sure.

Combo > 22D > airdash > land > dash 2A

They'll bounce from the 22D, and when you airdash you'll appear behind them. If they neutral tech the dash 2A will put you in front of them again. People usually don't block this when I do it a couple times, because their just confused as to what just happened. But using the 22D crossup and this setup too, you can train them to block any which way and get a confirm. If you hit them pretty high, go for Kiba's version. Because you will not cross up if you airdash. My version works on ground combos and low to the ground though. But as soon as they start delaying their tech, funs over.

Nice thread! Sweet amount of detail. This is great to know when fighting against strong Tsubakis.

Implying the match-up is difficult, HUEHUE

Edited by Kujikawa

Don't forget her inescapable unblockable setup, it requires a good deal of meter/charge usage, but it's guaranteed if I remember correctly.

j.236D > j.214D (Blocked) > RC > 22[D], easiest to setup during the opponent's actual tech animation, so it doesn't whiff.

I don't recommend doing it on characters with DP's.

Also, wonderful thread Kiba.

Don't forget her inescapable unblockable setup, it requires a good deal of meter/charge usage, but it's guaranteed if I remember correctly.

j.236D > j.214D (Blocked) > RC > 22[D], easiest to setup during the opponent's actual tech animation, so it doesn't whiff.

In the unblockables thread but I thought the idea is they're in blockstun for longer than it takes to fire 22d?

In the unblockables thread but I thought the idea is they're in blockstun for longer than it takes to fire 22d?

You can still DP her before the orb actually hits your character.

Snip

Yea I remember you discussed this before, and I will edit my post to include your information as I find it useful.

Nice thread! Sweet amount of detail. This is great to know when fighting against strong Tsubakis.

Thanks.

Implying the match-up is difficult, HUEHUE

Hello. :)

This setup is listed in the Unblockables Setups Compilation here. It is inescapable unless the opponent uses a burst or a CA, and thanks.

You can also just jump towards the orb and block it if you see Tsubaki doing j.236D.

If the opponent is able to do this it means the offender has used the setup incorrectly (or were too slow). It's really supposed to be set up rather than thrown out.

Unless someone's doing j.236D>j.214D as a meaty somehow (which the only time I can think of that you'd have enough time to do that would be after already landing 22D in the corner), you can always jump up to block the orb to prevent the aura thing from happening.

Also, just from messing around with the setup again in training mode for a bit, if you do 623D>j.236D>j.214D, you can DP out on instant block. Can't on 623A. Could just be my recording being poor, but it kind of makes sense since 623D propels you higher.

This is me using the setup. I was a little slow however. Edited by Kiba

Let me take the time to state the things I've added:

• Divine Punishment! - Really useful for optimal punishes
  • 22A Strike!
  • Getting the Bonus Proration from 623D > j.236D > j.214D
  • 3C Abuse in Neutral

Also added Tsubaki condor dives as a bad habit how could I forget that?!

Also added Tsubaki condor dives as a bad habit how could I forget that?!

That's my staple diet

Wondering if you can add this too. Its useful

And regarding backdash throw baits, any character can do it as long as the move has range and is 10 frames or less startup. You can do it but 5B and 22A as well but their inferior. I know some character throw animations are longer than other, may experiment with the slowest one soon.

I've been pondering more about that setup now.

Your setup is slightly better than ending with a charged 22B in the sense that not only do you have a better asssessment of when the opponent will tech since they cannot roll immediately from 214A, but they will be right next to you as opposed to being a set distance away from the 22B knockdown.

With your setup you sacrifice charge and slight corner carry (from 22B slide) in order to get some pressure which may result in further corner carry. It doesn't seem that much more different from a standard ender.

Edited by Kiba