Sign in to follow this  
Secret Stork

Should I stick with this game?

Hey. I've had BBCSEX since about August. I blasted through story mode, unlocked almost the entire gallery, and can't wait for CP. I love almost everything about this game. But whenever I play online or even against friends everything feels awkward and I struggle through it. After how much practice I've put onto it I still can't pull out even one round. I constantly get fed up and just want to give up. But for some reason, I get this guilty feeling in my gut, like I shouldn't drop it and keep on trying. I can't decide what to do so that's why I made this thread.

Here, let me drop more REAL RAP on you:

You've had the game for about a year, then, right? You've had a lot of practice? Okay.

YOU NEED MORE TIME AND PRACTICE.

Less than 1 Year worth of time on this game is not enough time to master anything important. If you feel awkward, you need to master movement and situations so you feel comfortable in them no matter what. There is nothing else but time and learning that's going to fix that, and when you are down on yourself or hurt up pretty bad when you DO play, that's not going to help at all.

You have to respect yourself and you have to respect this game in order to learn things and master things in it.

What is your expectation of yourself right now? I think you're putting too much expectation on yourself. You've had the game less than a year. The guilty feeling in your gut is your superego telling you that it is not right to give up when you have only just begun to learn the game you're playing.

At the end of the day - you're coming up against adversity, and either it sounds like you need a break or some sort of refresher in yourself or your gameplay.

Forget your attachments to the game or your character - If you actually like this game, continue playing it. If you hate it, make sure you understand your reasons and then stop playing or quit.

You have a personal challenge in front of you.

playing against real people is a whole different game. you have to apply the same dedication you used to unlock everything to adjusting to real matches.

So I should just stick with it then? Even though I finished the tutorial, I can't seem to stick with one character. They all just don't feel all that comfortable for me.

YES! You have only just begun! You don't need validation from any of us.

If you are interested in the game, this is the place - for whatever it's worth - to develop that interest.

Here - YOU are the kind of person I started this series for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs_X6PIOHoQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoQDreSQheo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbi8HLuhiso

If you are feeling down on this game - take a week break and just look up stuff for it and ask questions. Take an hour and listen to my show every weekend.

3 Weeks. Just take 3 weeks to fix yourself up before you put the expectation of performance on yourself again. Just learn about the game and what you think about it and what you want out of it and out of a character.

Will do. I probably just need to sit back and reassess my goals when it comes to this game. Clear my head.

Thanks for those links Star, I suck too so I'ma take a look see as well.

Anyway dude, you gotta play to get better. Period. You can do it.

Its my personal belief that in order to really help development you need to find and befriend ppl who are close to your fighting level -- and play with them often -- this helps solidify your presence in the community and serves to strengthen your skills/pride

Its my personal belief that in order to really help development you need to find and befriend ppl who are close to your fighting level -- and play with them often -- this helps solidify your presence in the community and serves to strengthen your skills/pride

Nemesis with the good advice; Regardless of what the hardcore "pros" say, playing against people who blow you up all the time isn't really a great way to learn, because it's super discouraging. Nothing beats going up against a good close matchup a bunch for you to start coming up with new stuff and hone your skills.

If you've got a strong enough will, you can also take on the big fishes and get your ass handed many times, as long as you keep your head cool and make sure the salt level don't go too high you'll learn something new after every single match.

Or if you're masochistic, I guess that also works.

If you're learning something, there's no reason to get discouraged by even the most grievous of losses. If you're not learning something, either pay more attention or ask questions.

If you're learning something, there's no reason to get discouraged by even the most grievous of losses. If you're not learning something, either pay more attention or ask questions.

Yes, but this advice overlooks the simple fact that people are not logical all the time. (You can probably build a convincing case that a lot of people aren't logical at all.) Most people find huge strings of devastating losses discouraging. Playing someone on your level gives you more chance to -see- your improvement (You might be improving against a better player too, but it's much harder to notice if you're still getting destroyed.)

And besides, nothing says you can't learn from playing someone who is on your level. In fact, it can be easier, because really, you're unlikely to learn more than a couple of things from any given match, so if a match is a big explosion of you just getting blown up 117 different ways, it can be markedly more difficult to even figure out where to start. Yes, you can ask questions, but not every good player is good at giving useful answers either. Some of the "advice" I've heard people give out after winning a match has bordered on being negatively useful.

Edited by Airk

I kinda have to agree with Airk here on this simply because how discouraging losses are to some people even if you are known for being logical accumulating a long streak of losses can still prompt even the most logical fighting gamer to illogical.

It's more fun when you are keeping up with somebody and you both improve level after level to keep up with each other than anything else. It's just a matter of having somebody like that to play.

Agree.

You're aren't going to get any better when you're being tossed around like a rag doll by someone that's in another league.

Stick with someone who's on the same level or weaker than you. That way you'll be able to polish you're skill and experience.

Also, completing challenge mode or beating level 100 AI ≠ you're fine and able to tackle the net.

You're up against living human beings that alters strategy and adapt constantly.

Challenge mode is nothing more than an intermediate tutorial that shows what the character is capable of.

Edited by Argent Zero

That makes sense. My only obstacle now is finding who to play with. I've got one friend who plays Blazblue because the rest are Mortal Kombat fans. He's poured hours into CSE and when he's not playing that, then he goes back to CS2 on his 3DS. He plays Ragna and Noel, and about 90% of the time he hands my butt to me on a silver platter. Which sucks =/

But when I go online, I see ranked is a ghost town, and the majority of player rooms are filled with private slots. When I get lucky and find a room, I get either kicked out before I even get to play, or get blown up THEN kicked out for my lack of experience and skill. And on the ever so slim chance i find somebody "at my level", I still can't win. I can handle a loss, but in this game losing just sucks even more because it's never down to the wire; it's complete decimation.

For getting matches, I wouldn't dive into random rooms in your case.

The community seems alive around late night (12am>) so make a 3,4 man room with a beginner mark. The reason for that number is because you don't have to wait too long and you get to fight enough different people with different styles.

People will naturally come in, that's always been my strategy. Also, try advertising your room on the XBL GGs thread. A lot of people do look at that.

Also, rank has been dead for a good long time. Don't bother with it.

That makes sense. My only obstacle now is finding who to play with. I've got one friend who plays Blazblue because the rest are Mortal Kombat fans. He's poured hours into CSE and when he's not playing that, then he goes back to CS2 on his 3DS. He plays Ragna and Noel, and about 90% of the time he hands my butt to me on a silver platter. Which sucks =/

But when I go online, I see ranked is a ghost town, and the majority of player rooms are filled with private slots. When I get lucky and find a room, I get either kicked out before I even get to play, or get blown up THEN kicked out for my lack of experience and skill. And on the ever so slim chance i find somebody "at my level", I still can't win. I can handle a loss, but in this game losing just sucks even more because it's never down to the wire; it's complete decimation.

If it's complete decimation, then that person isn't actually at your level. Profile resets, new accounts, console switches, etc are a thing. Never trust a person's level and PSR.

I frequent ranked and most of the time there's at least one person to fight. Don't use quick match, use custom search, since you can actually see everyone also doing ranked. If there's no one that you're able to fight, keep refreshing - someone's bound to pop up eventually. But if you've been searching for a while, then either take a break and try again later, or go to player matches. I always alternate between ranked and player matches.

I understand that feel. I have a level 0 connection to everyone but Australians (to whom I'm a solid level 3 connection), which means that I'm not able to enter 70% of the rooms. And even if I can get into a room, if I lag horribly then I'm kicked. But that's why ranked matches are so useful, since people are more inclined to actually fight you. And the people are always changing, so even if someone keeps rejecting you afterwards, then there's usually someone new to fight.

Now about your friend, how about you ask him to fight you using someone other than Ragna or Noel; someone new that he wants to learn? Surely that'll put you two in a more even playing field.

And if that fails, then you can always make a beginners room, and advertise it here on the PSN or XBL threads. Good luck :)

Yes, but this advice overlooks the simple fact that people are not logical all the time. (You can probably build a convincing case that a lot of people aren't logical at all.) Most people find huge strings of devastating losses discouraging. Playing someone on your level gives you more chance to -see- your improvement (You might be improving against a better player too, but it's much harder to notice if you're still getting destroyed.)

And besides, nothing says you can't learn from playing someone who is on your level. In fact, it can be easier, because really, you're unlikely to learn more than a couple of things from any given match, so if a match is a big explosion of you just getting blown up 117 different ways, it can be markedly more difficult to even figure out where to start. Yes, you can ask questions, but not every good player is good at giving useful answers either. Some of the "advice" I've heard people give out after winning a match has bordered on being negatively useful.

You've made some good points here.

Well I should probably say that the same friend I've had trouble beating for months I managed to beat about 7 times out of 10 matches last week. It was a personal victory, but it didn't feel completely right. Fighting him isn't fun, but not because I lose. It's because of the way he reacts when he wins and loses. But that's another story.

Edited by Secret Stork