Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danceljoy

Guilty Gear Xrd Story Thread

Sol X Aria was a thing. A thing that (presumably) resulted in Dizzy.

Oh God not this again...

I don't believe anyone's pointed out that you can see a couple of Sin/Ky's units from GG2 in the background of Sin's stage.

EDIT:Holy crap I'm an idiot.

BTW nobody has seemed to translate the TGS trailer. Anybody got anything relevant from it?

"Poor Ky" my ass, he was a legitimately bad father, caring more about how the people would perceive his affection for his family and practically treating Sin with the same disdain others did. Now you may try and hide behind the fact that "oh, well he's a king, he has to sacrifice for the greater good" but that's a fool's defense and both Sin and Ky himself know it. Ky's recent actions with trying to get Gear-kind accepted has less to do with him being a noble man and everything to do with him being a guilt ridden one.

Really sucks that I doubt the more poignant themes such as this will ever get the attention and focus that they deserve.

It's a pretty screwed up situation from both sides. He's a public figure and ruler in relationship with a gear with a half-gear offspring. Given the War and general attitude towards gears, he'd be damned however he handled the situation. Not to mention he has a more rigid ethical compass than the Jellyfish pirates, who for example had no issue with Dizzy.

Not really saying what he did was right or what Sin thinks of him isn't justified, but it was hardly a situation with a clear good and bad solution.

"Poor Ky" my ass, he was a legitimately bad father, caring more about how the people would perceive his affection for his family and practically treating Sin with the same disdain others did. Now you may try and hide behind the fact that "oh, well he's a king, he has to sacrifice for the greater good" but that's a fool's defense and both Sin and Ky himself know it. Ky's recent actions with trying to get Gear-kind accepted has less to do with him being a noble man and everything to do with him being a guilt ridden one.

Really sucks that I doubt the more poignant themes such as this will ever get the attention and focus that they deserve.

It's a pretty screwed up situation from both sides. He's a public figure and ruler in relationship with a gear with a half-gear offspring. Given the War and general attitude towards gears, he'd be damned however he handled the situation. Not to mention he has a more rigid ethical compass than the Jellyfish pirates, who for example had no issue with Dizzy.

Not really saying what he did was right or what Sin thinks of him isn't justified, but it was hardly a situation with a clear good and bad solution.

I think this what makes Ky an interesting deconstructed "white knight" character.

Certainly he loves his son and Dizzy but he's not just cut out to be a father yet as much as he's not cut out to be a politician. Ky was a soldier, a military leader in his teen years then became law-enforcer. He's used to upholding his strict sense of morals, then the law (his association with Johnny is what I consider putting "good" above the law) and he has no sense of building a happy life for himself.

Then he suddenly fell in love and engaged in an "immoral" relationship with a Gear that brought a child out of wedlock. I think Ky would have adjusted if all the political storm didn't happen but suddenly he's thrust into a position where he's owned by both the corrupt government and the public. Not to mention being a Holy Knight he knows how much people hate Gears and how disastrous it will be if Sin and Dizzy's existence comes to light.

The best thing Ky can do is do what he does best: fulfilling his duty and protecting people, although this time he lost agency. He acts like a perfect morally upright king to protect the existence of his family but that ultimately killed his fatherhood. You could also interpret it that he simply can't confront fatherhood yet and runs away from it. I don't think Ky ever showed a concern on how people see him, he's always babbling about concepts like justice and hope and fighting for them. But little by little it just becomes more complicated and no matter how good he is in fighting or how dedicated he is to his morals I don't think there's a middle ground that will give him a good outcome. Whether he chooses to spend more time with his family or the public there will be difficult consequences, and in his case, the result is him being a poor father. 

Anyone knows; a man dedicated to the good of the people/civic world, cannot be a fully dedicated father as well. You have to make a choice, many great men who've stood up to defend their people/country lost out on fatherhood. Dizzy understood this well, and still continued to support him despite his uncertainty, he didn't even want to enter the political realm, it was Dizzy and Sol who encouraged him to do it.

Ky simply made the best of the worst situation, by sending Sin off to be taken care of by the one man he trusts the most, Sol. And so far, from Sin's gameplay and the fact that he acknowledges his Kiske last name now, Sin seems to be turning out well.

EDIT: Could someone tell me what Ky's arcade victory quote is when he beats Sol, I think he's saying something about Sol's latent powers being unharnessed???

I think this what makes Ky an interesting deconstructed "white knight" character.

Please don't rely on TVTropes for definitions of words. Portrayal of a character is not a method of deconstruction.

Please don't rely on TVTropes for definitions of words. Portrayal of a character is not a method of deconstruction.

But Deconstruction is an actual concept though...

In any case, yes; Ky was put into a difficult situation and made the best of it as good as he could. Sin has every right to be upset and resentful towards Ky for putting people above his own son, but Sin is also a child and probably cannot fully grasp the situation. After teaming up in Overture, Sin seems a bit more accepting of his father now and what he had to do.

But Deconstruction is an actual concept though...

...I know? That's why I said danceljoy used the word incorrectly, not that they're referring to something that doesn't exist.

That's why I put a apostrophe (") and didn't capitalize it, because "white knight" is an accurate term for Ky but something does not encompass his character. What do you suggest then? 

Anyway back to Ky, he's honestly one of my favorite fictional characters and it's pretty rare for me to see a well written Christian character in a videogame that actually feels like how a real Christian should be, not some caricature or stereotype. 

But I've always wondered if Ky would choose his family over his principles or vice versa if made to choose between them. 

Something tells me, based on how things are being discussed in the recent GGXrd Trailer, that Ky's decisions will be called in to question, and I don't mean just political decisions.

I can't say for sure, but I think something's going down concerning Ky that even Sol doesn't know about.

Ky seems to know quite a lot about these Valentines, he might even know about the Gear Project already...

Sol's going to confront him about making Ramlethal wear a maid outfit right? "Ky you bastard! This is wrong! Nurses are better!"

I know the trailer doesn't really mean anything but was sin fighting sol or was that just his IK (more likely).

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Yeah the trailer made it seem like Sin was going to fight Sol with him screaming "old man!" But I bet that scream is when Sol is going to do something that is probably going to be dangerous and Sin is just screaming out of concern.

Paradigm says to Sol to get out of the backyard or he will be swallowed up. My guess thats the scene.

I wonder if Sin x Ramletherl will seriously happen :D

Dont get the Sin x Elphelt crew pissed off man

Man I am a delusional shipper myself but what evidence is there for Sinphelt besides...getting announced as playable together?

That golden win quote lol. I also think that they might have special quotes against each other.

Perhaps we should stray off the shipping topic besides already confirmed couples, thou. It's juat speculation and this shit has a tendency to get ugly.

There is something I am wondering about. In Sol's arcade mode, he asks if another Valentine has appeared due to that huge nuke in Babylon, so would that mean there is actually a 3rd Valentine in the story?

There is something I am wondering about. In Sol's arcade mode, he asks if another Valentine has appeared due to that huge nuke in Babylon, so would that mean there is actually a 3rd Valentine in the story?

Yes, the one from Overture.

Uh, I guess in terms of storyline, Elphelt appears last I guess? @_@;

Yes, the one from Overture.

Wait, she is actually back? O_o

Wait, she is actually back? O_o

I wish. Then people who only refer to Ramlethal as "Valentine" would finally have to stop calling her that.