Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danceljoy

Guilty Gear Xrd Story Thread

I think Crow is a bad character because he is a bad character; he is easily the WEAKEST personality in the entire cast especially for how screen time was devoted to him. All of his encounters pretty much play out the same where he takes on a very flat, 1-dimensional "bad guy of the week" role and is all like "oh man I'm evil, JUUUUUUUUUUUUSTICE! *snap*" and doesn't even feel like a primary obstacle for anyone. His characterization and execution are laughably weak and he feels like a legitimate afterthought of the already half-baked AC+ story.

AC+'s only merit is the establishment of Dizzy and Ky's relationship [so that it doesn't look as forced as it initially appeared. Still waiting for Jam to appear and give him reckoning], it looks like they attempted to make it a supplementary part of what Overture was trying to build up towards, but it felt like something just fell apart in the process. Mos of the endings pretty much cycle around where XX already left off [i-No had bad there too] or just pulled shit out of its ass [like with Slayer's ending depicting him just going back to his "world"; it's not that he couldn't return, he just chose to stay as he claimed there was nothing of interest. Xrd appears to circumvents these events entirely.].

But honestly GG's plot never interested me, at least not the primary one they wanted you to care about, I mean Sol's vendetta is simple enough to get invested into and it occasionally has its highs but for me [especially with XX] GG is at its best when its just concerned with character moments. A large amount of the cast have nothing to do with anything the plot is concerned about but remain interesting in their self-contained stories because they have such great moments. And that is what I judge Crow by, not from what the plot tells me his importance is, but by how he stands as an individual, which he does not at all. If it wasn't for his Justice call, I would forget he existed at all.

I feel like A LOT of time and space is being wasted on a character that honestly doesn't deserve it [especially since, again, Xrd seems to pretty much circumvent anything that happened in AC+ anyways, and I'm not going to change my opinion on this matter.

Because your favourite character perfectly fits your description of Crow. She is insignificant in story modes of all GG games, she has bland and 1-dimensional personality and there is not much to say about her. Yet only Crow gets all criticism. That's unjust. He is the only memorable element of AC+ yawn story and has enough potential to become more interesting character in the future, in my opinion (yes, opinion). Yes, his chances to appear are very small but every character has the right to shine one day.

As stated above, I really don't care about GG's plot, but more for it's character moments which I think it does in spades. I think Baiken has some very amusing interactions with just about anyone they pair her up with and her and Anji are a particularly interesting dynamic. If you think Crow was the most memorable thing in AC+ then wow, ok. But yeah, these are opinions, but don't try to attack something about me personally when you don't know anything about my interests lol, Baiken isn't even my favorite character [from a narrative perspective].

I think anyone and anything can be good, it's just about execution; Crow's debut left a lot to be desired but left such a poor imprint on me that I don't care to see it. We have enough generic bad already.

I'll be honest, I didn't read AC story mode, just played through it, and I thought Crow was just a group of mooks :v:

I'll be honest, I didn't read AC story mode, just played through it, and I thought Crow was just a group of mooks :v:

I didnt even bother playing it. Everyone keeps going on on how awful it is so why the fuck bother,right?

I don't recall any direct mentions of what he is up to, but May doesn't appear to be [specifically] looking for him, so he is most likely off fulfilling his promise to find someone that can teach May about her Japanese lineage; it looks like May is also looking [probably to make the task easier on Johnny].

That or he's in jail again like in the first game :v:

It's so obvious, guys. Johnny is deep in the woods training with Testament so they can be Top Tier in Guilty Gear Xrd B-Side.

So he has learned that seclusion is not happiness!

I wonder if the characters missing from the game will be named in the story mode, Dizzy probably wiil be, but Zappa, Baiken, Anji?.

Why not Bridget also?! D:

I wonder how they'd have some characters return. Like IF they eventually included all the classic characters, how would their stories be reintroduced?

Robo-Ky rules over a Junkyard Kingdom and plots a switch-a-roo with King Ky.

Jam's latest restaurant was in the city that was destroyed in the arcade game and now she's broke again.

Testament is upset because Justice might return.

Baiken is upset because she hasn't found That Man yet.

Anji is trying to learn some forbidden knowledge, but just ends up following Baiken.

Bridget is trying to get the bounty on Ramlethal.

Dizzy got unfrozen. Yay!

Johnny is trying to be the hero of the people and the drunkard of the crew.

Zappa is spazing out and attacking people.

A.B.A. is bleeding somewhere.

Justice never died.

Kliff's memory never left us.

Sorry, we're never getting Order Sol again.

Robo-Ky rules over a Junkyard Kingdom and plots a switch-a-roo with King Ky.

Jam's latest restaurant was in the city that was destroyed in the arcade game and now she's broke again.

Testament is upset because Justice might return.

Baiken is upset because she hasn't found That Man yet.

Anji is trying to learn some forbidden knowledge, but just ends up following Baiken.

Bridget is trying to get the bounty on Ramlethal.

Dizzy got unfrozen. Yay!

Johnny is trying to be the hero of the people and the drunkard of the crew.

Zappa is spazing out and attacking people.

A.B.A. is bleeding somewhere.

Justice never died.

Kliff's memory never left us.

Sorry, we're never getting Order Sol again.

Works for me, I gives no fucks about Order Sol anyways. Alright ASW, get on it!

Okay, since I've been gone for a page or so, let's discuss this... before people hijack this thread with nonsense... Either read the story or don't post, this thread is ABOUT the story.  So yeah.

The "silhouette" of Justice could be many things...

It could be that the Justice Copy is making a comeback in which case Crow could return.

It could be that this Justice isn't the same Justice or could be the "mother" of the Valentines (hey it's worth a guess).

It could be that this Justice is just a shell or what remains of her body after Sol killed her (we never did find out what happened to Justice after she died after all).

Heck, it could be a powered-up Dizzy for all we know...

Oh yeah, and based on May's facial expressions of late, I think Johnny isn't the issue... it's her past with Japan.  Japan was destroyed by Justice, so obviously there was something going on back then.  What that something is and why Justice was so determined to exterminate the Japanese will probably come in to play soon... with May involved.

There is nothing that states the Justice is back, only that her silhouette/shadow/presence/image can be seen behind the scenes.

It probably makes people believe it's justice behind everything but it's something else but somehow related.

Why would Jam have the misfortune of being in babylon for something like that-oh wait it's Jam

Somehow I don't think ARCSys would kill off a character unless there was a good reason.

Killing off Kliff is mostly due to
1. Being an old man.

2. Knowing a lot of stuff on the Crusades that could probably give away the plot.

3. He had semi-broken gimmicks.

Killing off Zato is mostly due to

1. Being a partial metal reference.

2. Drama / Character development for Eddie (interacting with other non-human characters).

3. Plot development for keeping Zato in the roster.

4. Plot twist irony for Faust.

Killing off Justice is mostly due to

1. The plot

2. Justice being a boss / broken character.

3. Implementing story gimmicks to keep her in the roster.

The question is though, didn't "That Man" say Sol and Justice/Aria are the hope for the world? So why would the hope die so easily? Unless there is something else to it.

Killing off Zato is mostly due to

1. Being a partial metal reference.

2. Drama / Character development for Eddie (interacting with other non-human characters).

3. Plot development for keeping Zato in the roster.

4. Plot twist irony for Faust.

guess more as a reference to the voice actor passin' away

People keep saying that, but Zato's original VA Kaneto Shiozawa's death was just a coincidence.

In GGX it was already planned for Zato to die.  His voice quotes and story indicated it.

"Hope died" when Ky Kiske died in the alternate timeline.  The Gearmaker just wanted Gears and Humanity to work together to deal with whatever was controlling the Valentines as a threat.

People keep saying that, but Zato's original VA Kaneto Shiozawa's death was just a coincidence.

In GGX it was already planned for Zato to die.  His voice quotes and story indicated it.

"Hope died" when Ky Kiske died in the alternate timeline.  The Gearmaker just wanted Gears and Humanity to work together to deal with whatever was controlling the Valentines as a threat.

:O rly? then guess w/ the possibility of bringin' Zatou back later on, havin' Eddie takin' over for a while would give some other chars (especially Millia) sorta enough of a plot twist for XX too

Ramlethal Valentine has declared war upon the entire world. Sol Badguy and company, having set off to investigate the truth behind the matter, recruit the help of Ramlethal’s self-proclaimed sister, Elphelt Valentine, in turn successfully managing to capture Ramlethal. However, right as that’s taking place, a giant object known as “The Cradle” appears over the skies of Babylon, bringing with it catastrophe. As it turns out, Ramlethal’s earlier antics were nothing more than a diversion to divers attention away from the main event.

Thus, the world finds it wrought asunder and in chaos. In the midst of such mayhem, figures emerge that are intent on realizing their ambitions. Drawn by their willpower and lust for power, the Gears rise up and go forth again. Things only get hotter from there as the flames of conflict begin to spark anew.

Having captured Ramlethal, Sol and the others feel they can take a breather now that their ordeal is seemingly over. Little do they know, however, that yet more tragedy is lying in wait for them, as are malignant forces that have been biding their time in the shadows and are starting to finally make their moves.

An organization known as “The Senate” is pulling the strings behind these incidents. Having teams up with Ramlethal, what could possibly be their end goal in all of this?

Though Elphelt is a member of the Valentine “family,” for some reason, she’s taken to working with Sol and his friends. What’s more, unlike her sister, she’s quite animated and shows a variety of emotions.

Dr. Paradigm, a scholar known for his deep intellect and highly perceptive nature, also appears in the story line. His brains serve to back up Ky, Sol, and the other characters as they go about their work.

Leo, one of the kings of Illyria, also makes an appearance in the game. A friend and rival to Ky, he faces down a new threat lurking on the doorstep of his kingdom.

Once again, the power that Sol’s Gear contains is enough to shake up the world as we know it. Will he be a savior this time or…?

Meanwhile, Bedman also lurks in the fringes of this new conflict. With combat prowess abound, he isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty when others try to get in his way. His goals in these fights lie within a mysterious being, one that seems to be deeply related to the ongoing chaos.

Having become imprisoned, Ramlethal asserts that her “work is done,” but what exactly she means by that is anyone’s guess.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2014/10/guilty-gear-xrd-sign-story-mode-detailed#qKgoi2oqxFGPPuLj.99

Based on what is said, I can assess that this "thing" is the Cradle:

tumblr_n1flrcwAhJ1rsicvbo8_1280.jpg

And that the Senato (Senate) are the ones controlling it and Ramlethal behind the scenes.

Bedman seems to know Ramlethal's role in all this too (based on a story clip), so he's connected to all this somehow as well.

Ky seems to know more about what is going on with Elphelt than anyone else, so we'll see what happens...

Huh, so according to the new timeline, it seems the events of the entire XX series have been phased out, which makes sense but is also somewhat saddening (for XX, not AC+ . . .)