Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shiro

Millia vs. Axl: That Axl Bomber loop hurts!

During regionals on Saturday I went up against an Axl player in the loser's bracket. I really have no idea how to play against Axl especially as Millia. Since it was only one match, I didn't have enough time to feel out the Axl and so I lost :( After the match, Kensou gave tips such as to rush him down, and be sure to oki FD disc since Axl can't really do anything on wake up.

Pin is one thing ull b using a lot bcuz that destroys his anti-airs giving u free CHs. In addition, your 6P is also pretty viable in this matchup cuz axl doesn't hav a lot of useful stuff at close range. that still doesn't mean u should get reckless nd predictable. His counter can setup for his bomber loop other than his throw. If he gets that counter off, he'll b able to take a chunk of your health from there. Secure knockdowns against axl nd utilize disc okizemes since axl can't get out of them. Overall this matchup is to millia's favor, but can lose quick if she makes ne mistakes.

Pin is one thing ull b using a lot bcuz that destroys his anti-airs giving u free CHs. In addition, your 6P is also pretty viable in this matchup cuz axl doesn't hav a lot of useful stuff at close range. that still doesn't mean u should get reckless nd predictable. His counter can setup for his bomber loop other than his throw. If he gets that counter off, he'll b able to take a chunk of your health from there. Secure knockdowns against axl nd utilize disc okizemes since axl can't get out of them. Overall this matchup is to millia's favor, but can lose quick if she makes ne mistakes.

Eh, I'd call the matchup even. True, in gives millia a little more leeway in the air, but Axl players know this and aren't exactly keen to get counterhit. Plus, once the pin is gone, the air belongs to Axl again. I don't really understand how 6P is particularly useful in this matchup, so please explain that one in greater detail, as I also disagree that Axl "doesn't have anything useful up close". Millia's oki is amazingly good, but I don't think it's any more or less difficult to escape for Axl than for most other characters.

Eh, I'd call the matchup even. True, in gives millia a little more leeway in the air, but Axl players know this and aren't exactly keen to get counterhit. Plus, once the pin is gone, the air belongs to Axl again. I don't really understand how 6P is particularly useful in this matchup, so please explain that one in greater detail, as I also disagree that Axl "doesn't have anything useful up close". Millia's oki is amazingly good, but I don't think it's any more or less difficult to escape for Axl than for most other characters.

millias 6p beats out most of axls normals up close since his normals hav slow startup. Axl doesnt hav too many options to escape from millia pressure besides counter or bentengari.

I'll try to elaborate on more detail as much as possible on this matchup. thanks for pointing that out.

I realize this is more or less the entire point of his character, but oh my God I can never get close enough to Axl to do anything except eat long-range-poke after long-range-poke in my futile attempts to approach, and eating a trip costs about a third of my health thanks to the damned Axl bomber combo.

its easier to jump in when u hav the pin, cuz it destroys his anti-air options allowing u to get in on him for free.

Also, just commit to something such as running in. The axl player may think you're going to jump and throw out an anti air poke and let you get in for free.

Running in tends to lead to eating his ground-based long range moves like 2H and...whatever the other ones are (hard to keep them straight since I don't play Axl.) I guess I could try running in and immediately stopping and FD blocking low if I see him winding up for basically anything, but I don't know what, if anything, could be punished if I block it, and that still keeps me from actually getting close enough to do anything.

Running in tends to lead to eating his ground-based long range moves like 2H and...whatever the other ones are (hard to keep them straight since I don't play Axl.) I guess I could try running in and immediately stopping and FD blocking low if I see him winding up for basically anything, but I don't know what, if anything, could be punished if I block it, and that still keeps me from actually getting close enough to do anything.

What I mean is run in and commit to either IADing toward axl which would beat the 2HS and his crouching punch, or just keep running which would beat his anti-air options. You gotta make him think you're going to do something and do the other. When Axl throws out his long range pokes he's taking a big risk because if you guess right you get a free combo.

Edit: You could also IAD and pin or jump and pin.

to make additional comments, millia can run under and punish axl's 5p and 6k on whiff. pin also beats those 2 things out but millia gets hit nd cant follow up afterwords. H pin can let her use her 2nd airdash nd follow up but chances r the player has shaken out of the stagger so u cant get much off that. dang coma, i hope u can come to ec throwdown. we gotta get more matches since NEC if ure able to go.