Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kjorteo

Millia vs. Faust: The doctor is in! Now he's out!

Any advice on Faust? Not that I or anyone I play against are even remotely near tournament level (I wouldn't say we're newbs, but compared to you guys we're probably pretty close,) but my friend's Faust owns my Millia every time. I credit it to his door mixup somehow making him even harder to pin down than Chipp, and things like forward pogo slam --> flower --> Going My Way and comboing pretty much everything into that damn scalpel rape super. Oh, and the items. It could be my level of play, but I have serious problems against pretty much anyone who litters (:FA: items, :DI: fish, :TE: traps, etc.)

I never het hit by scalpel super, EVER lol! For Faust: -You're going to need to use your pin a lot. He will most likely have something else going on or trade hits with you, but it keeps him in place and he can't follow up on anything. - Get him in the corner asap. This applies for everyone, but especially Faust. -2d is your best bet for trying to outpoke him. -6p is your friend whenever Faust is in the air. It will trade at the least from my experience. -This is a matchup where you can actually use sg a lot and you need to do so. This puts a big damper on Faust's game as it locks him down bigtime. He has too much range to try and randomly attack while sg is out and going my way is usually a bad idea when sg is out. -IB his "Dhalsim" attack and roll under for a throw -1 frame jumps help out a lot for escaping going my way pressure -Don't be stingy with tension. Use those air fb discs to lock him down.

Any advice on Faust? Not that I or anyone I play against are even remotely near tournament level (I wouldn't say we're newbs, but compared to you guys we're probably pretty close,) but my friend's Faust owns my Millia every time. I credit it to his door mixup somehow making him even harder to pin down than Chipp, and things like forward pogo slam --> flower --> Going My Way and comboing pretty much everything into that damn scalpel rape super. Oh, and the items. It could be my level of play, but I have serious problems against pretty much anyone who litters (:FA: items, :DI: fish, :TE: traps, etc.)

Secondly if u r playin against a faust with millia the match is in ur favor. If u just stop and pay attention the door should not hit u. Oh and one last thing about the super if he does it and does not push the button he wants u to guess since u say ur both new to the game just try mashing hard slash it will hit him everytime. Millia should beat faust no prob just keep moving foward when u knock him down he has nothing to get u off of him.

If Faust whiffs (WHIFFS, NOT YOU BLOCKING IT) that stupid Scalpel super, Instant Kill that motherfucker. Yes, you have enough time to activate and IK him. Sad...

Secondly if u r playin against a faust with millia the match is in ur favor. If u just stop and pay attention the door should not hit u. Oh and one last thing about the super if he does it and does not push the button he wants u to guess since u say ur both new to the game just try mashing hard slash it will hit him everytime. Millia should beat faust no prob just keep moving foward when u knock him down he has nothing to get u off of him.

Unfortunately, he is at least good enough to know to pick a chest for the angel so that doesn't happen. Also, when you say to "keep moving forward when (I) knock him down" because "he has nothing to get (me) off of him," I'm assuming you're not counting the fact that I still shouldn't be too close on his wakeup since he can wakeup command throw.

Speaking of, I know if I anticipate a wakeup throw, anything that can quickly get me in the air and attack (TK Bad Moon, Iron Savior) will beat it, but does the same hold true for Mettagiri?

Speaking of, I know if I anticipate a wakeup throw, anything that can quickly get me in the air and attack (TK Bad Moon, Iron Savior) will beat it, but does the same hold true for Mettagiri?

Is mettagiri his command throw?

He can easily frc the super if u try to activate instant kill. The window on that frc is huge so if he pushes it @ netime then u will be able fucked up. The way i normally punish throws is by tk bad moon r doing the hair car move. When i say keep moving foward i mean stay on top of him. With the force break disc u have enough time to get off 2 really good mixups. One of them should hit.

Been playing this matchup a lot lately and I'm having trouble against Faust's 2K, since it's really fast and has a nice hitbox too. Is pin the only way to shut that move down? Since Faust's 2K recovers so fast I'm having a hard time punishing it or even poking him out of it.

Far S should do the trick to beat out Faust 2K if he is in range to hit you with it, and 6P might actually work too.  I avoid poking with Millia 2K since it doesn't lead into anything unless you are point blank right next to the enemy.  If I'm going to counterpoke in any matchup, like 90% of the time it will be with far S or (backdash) 2D.  The other 10% would be with 6P, 2H and 6H (this move has a surprisingly great hitbox for anti-ground poking, but it's risky) roughly in that order.

But for Faust specifically, the safer and more rewarding solution would be to do a preemptive jump back S Pin - if it hits Faust out of one of his 2K's 12(!) active frames, you'll get a CH stagger which you can easily combo out of.

Faust's air j.2K is really annoying in that it beats many antiairs and causes others to whiff since it has such a good hitbox.  I find that doing 6P works ok, as it clashes its first hit and CHs with its 2nd hit, which I cancel into roll -> close S -> aircombo.  You can also try a rising j.P or j.K if you think it's coming, both of which are pretty safe options.  Hitting Faust out of the air in general is tricky, since you'll probably hit an extended hurtbox with your air to air, which can be tough to combo out of.  Fishing for j.P (CH) into j.H can work ok, but really it might just be safer to space yourself until Faust lands, where you can approach him on the ground up close with far S, jump back S Pin, yolo 6P (not a great idea usually, but can work against Faust), etc.

Thanks for the advice! Honestly I noticed I tend to rely a little too much on 2K rather than using f.S. I guess it's because I like 2K's speed, but it's clear it just doesn't work well as a poke, specially against Faust.

As for antiairing him on the ground, I found 6P to be "ok" but there's still the issue of his j2K kind of making him float too much and messing my timing pretty often. The other annoying thing is how that stupid move may crossup turning my 6P into a 5P. Rising jK has been more productive though as you said the hardest part is converting those antiair hitconfirms into good combos because his hurtbox is weird and even if I jK>jP>jK JC jK jH it will sometimes whiff at the end before the jH because of the distance. :V

I was also thinking: what about "full screen" Secret Garden to keep him honest? It's true he could still use the scalpel move but it's nothing too scary, and I guess that would make the neutral approach a bit less bothersome when he's throwing items/bombs...?

Full screen SG can definitely work, but if Faust catches on to you backing away, he can move back into just outside of his poking range and poke you out with far S or 2H on reaction.  So you have to be careful, but it can work for sure.

Another way to deal with a jumpy Faust would be to backwards jump IAD and depending on what he was doing when you jumped, either come down with j.H (if he is in the air) or if he's still grounded, mix up between j.S (ADC j.K-S) or 214S.  If he's not afraid to AA you with his 6P or 5K, then make him afraid by throwing Pin and getting in.  And if he jumped, j.H is a huge cover that should beat him out of any attack.  If j.H whiffs in this situation, that means Faust would be higher in the air, which would mean you have time to land and rejump with j.P to pursue.